Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 11:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford: Extended warranty up to 5 years / 100,000 kms for EcoSport & Figo

It was recently reported that Honda Car India is offering a 7 year / 100,000 kms warranty across its range. It has now been learnt that Ford India too is offering a longer warranty, though it isn’t the case across the model range.

As per Ford India’s official site, the brand is offering a 5 year / 100,000 km extended warranty on the Ford Figo hatchback and Ford EcoSport crossover. The maximum warranty offered earlier was up to only 4 years. The warranty covers all mechanical & electrical failures and the labour for these repairs. Periodic maintenance services, components prone to wear and tear and accident repairs cannot be fixed under the warranty scheme. Owners can also extend the warranty by one or two years, any time before the vehicle crosses the factory warranty period of 2 years or 100,000 kms (whichever is earlier). The warranty can also be transferred when the vehicle is sold.

It is however, rather shocking to see that only two models out of the entire range are eligible for the 5 year warranty period. While all 5 cars sold in India by Ford have the same 100,000 km distance cap, the Classic, Fiesta and Endeavour can only have the manufacturer warranty for a period of up to 4 years.

It is also interesting to note that Ford offers a 5 years / 50,000 kms scheduled service plan for the Figo, Fiesta and EcoSport, while the Classic has the option of going up to 5 years / 100,000 kms. There is however, no mention of the Endeavour under this scheme. The service plan enables owners to save up to 10% on the total amount of all paid services for up to 5 years at any Ford authorised service centre in India. Ford also offers the option of paying upfront for all scheduled services for a period and providing discounts in return that provide savings over paying for each service individually. Like the warranty, this service is also transferable with the ownership.

The scheduled service plan covers periodical maintenance services (PMS) as per owner's manual, all replacements and adjustments specified under PMS (engine oil, oil filter, air filter, brake fluid etc.) and labour charges for the maintenance work.

Ford: Extended warranty up to 5 years / 100,000 kms for EcoSport & Figo-ford1.jpg

Ford: Extended warranty up to 5 years / 100,000 kms for EcoSport & Figo-ford2.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 14th April 2015 at 11:37. Reason: Typo
Tushar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 12:54   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford: Extended warranty up to 5 years / 100,000 kms for EcoSport & Figo

I'm a big believer of extended warranties & am pleased to see more & more manufacturers offering coverage for 5 years. BMW & Hyundai were the first to offer protection up to the 5 year mark in India. Honda recently joined the bandwagon (packages up to 7 years!), while Fiat & Chevy have been offering 5 year warranties since a while.

It's a win-win situation: Car owners are happy with the peace-of-the-mind that a long warranty provides, and the dealer enjoys the additional business as the car needs to be maintained by him to keep the warranty intact.

Back to Ford, the EcoSport & Figo are the only products that sell . Not that I agree with it, but I can see why Ford hasn't bothered with slow movers like the Fiesta.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2015 at 12:56.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 21:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Don't know why Ford always shortchange the Fiesta.

When we got ours, the extended warranty was available only for an additional year. So, the Fiesta is on a 3 years, 60K KM warranty now.

So, this news is a mixed bag for me. I can opt for an additional 12 months and 40K KM now. But really wonder why Ford cannot make it 5 years given the EcoSport and Fiesta share so much.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 21:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice move by Ford, but what is the cost? I took EW for 3rd year soon after buying the Figo. I think it cost me around 5 K. When I inquired recently, I was told 4th year EW would cost me 12 K!!

And now I wonder how much the 5th year warranty will cost. If I were to spend 20 K, I'd rather go for a re-map. But of course, that is my personal choice.

If they offer 4th and 5th year warranty for around 10 K, then they'll surely find takers.
Old 15th April 2015, 07:24   #5
BHPian

It's a very good move by Ford I would say. People who buy extended warranty at the time of purchase of the car would be getting a better deal compared to owners who buy it later on before the factory warranty expires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
And now I wonder how much the 5th year warranty will cost. If I were to spend 20 K, I'd rather go for a re-map. But of course, that is my personal choice.

If they offer 4th and 5th year warranty for around 10 K, then they'll surely find takers.
Venu sir, getting an extended warranty and getting a remap for 20K is like 2 extreme ends of the spectrum. Talking from experience.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 08:16   #6
BHPian

Need help out here BHPians. We recently booked a Ford Classic 1.6 Titanium and will take delivery by the end of this month.

Now, this is going to be our first car. Naturally, we are not at all experienced about 'buying' cars.

As a first car, the Classic is quite a budget extender for us. So, should we take the EW package? Also, any inputs on the scheduled service plan?

Other than this, I am following the Team-BHP guidelines to the T and will do a thorough PDI when time comes.

Mods, please move my thread to the appropriate one if required. I posted in this thread because it will deal only with Ford cars.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th April 2015, 08:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am bit confused. Is Ford offering 5 year Extended Warranty in addition to the standard 2 year warranty making it a total of 7 year warranty on the Ford models such as Figo and Ecosport OR the total warranty including extended warranty is 5 years/1L kms.

I had taken 2 year EW for my Fiesta which was in addition to the standard 2 yr manufacturer warranty, which means 4 years warranty did exists few years back. But good to know Ford has increased the warranty period with the hope that at least longer warranties will halt the sliding numbers.

One more noob question - Is the EW offered by Ford or by an Insurance co? (Like is the case with Fiat)
Old 15th April 2015, 08:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Is Ford offering 5 year Extended Warranty in addition to the standard 2 year warranty making it a total of 7 year warranty on the Ford models such as Figo and Ecosport OR the total warranty including extended warranty is 5 years/1L kms.

One more noob question - Is the EW offered by Ford or by an Insurance co? (Like is the case with Fiat)
I think its a total of 5 years.This page leads me to believe so.

http://www.india.ford.com/ford-servi...ended-warranty

The options are 3,4 or 5 Years for 1L Kms against the standard 2 years for 1L Kms.

When my AC compressor was changed under extended warranty, the charges were waived off in the bill itself, so I am let to believe that the extended warranty is courtesy Ford itself.
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 08:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Need help out here BHPians. We recently booked a Ford Classic 1.6 Titanium and will take delivery by the end of this month.

Now, this is going to be our first car. Naturally, we are not at all experienced about 'buying' cars.

As a first car, the Classic is quite a budget extender for us. So, should we take the EW package? Also, any inputs on the scheduled service plan?

Other than this, I am following the Team-BHP guidelines to the T and will do a thorough PDI when time comes.

Mods, please move my thread to the appropriate one if required. I posted in this thread because it will deal only with Ford cars.

Thanks in advance.
Do take EW for as many years as they provide. I took it for 2 years, so in all my car was under warranty for 4 years. The AC fan motor and the rear left power window mechanism were replaced during EW period.

You can refer to my LTO thread for details of service costs. There is an excel sheet in it.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 08:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

I took the additional 2 year warranty over the standard 2 years at the time of buying my Ecosport.

Now I'll go get the 5th year as well.

This shows Ford is confident with their products (I don't know why the Fiesta is left out). 5 years peace of mind is great news!

The website has some nice maintenance plans as well. Will be checking those out as well.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 08:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
First and foremost I welcome you to Ford family. Talking about the EW package, buying it will make more sense if you are intended to keep your car for more than 2 yrs which of course is the standard warranty Ford offers for the new buy. In your case, even though it may find bit hard on your pocket but it offers peace of mind wherein you can enjoy the ride for next 5 years without any worry.
Personally I always prefer to get EW package while buying the car itself as there are chances of price hike if you are buying it in the 3rd year and also while buying the new car if you bargain hard then if you are lucky then you might get it for free from the dealer so I would suggest to buy the package while buying the car
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 09:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dear Neel
Welcome to Ford.
Ford Cars are built to last.
Yet, it makes a lot of sense to go in for the max. EW provided by the company.
In the case of Classic, the EW is extended till 4 years.
Ford cars are generally trouble free for the first couple of years and though the spare costs have substantially come down, it makes a lot of sense to have the warranty cover for some expensive spares covered by the EW.
This includes but not limited to
-AC Compressor
-Rack and Pinion
-Suspensions(I think covered till 60K)
-Engine Mounts

Go in for EW even if you plan to keep the car for 2 years or so.
Ford cars do not command a high resale. A car covered under EW at the time of selling will have a slightly better negotiation but most importantly, as a owner, you have complete peace of mind.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 09:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome. Now can they make the standard warranty, 3 years instead of 2?

Talking about Figo, it was launched in 2010 and we all know how much it sells now and the new Figo is going to be launched this year as well. JUST TOO LATE wrt the Figo. People who know a thing or two about cars would care to take the extended warranty. Others wouldn't bother as much after 2/3 years of ownership.
Old 16th April 2015, 08:54   #14
BHPian

Driving a Ford without EW is not an option. Buy EW at the time of purchase to get the best offer. Furthermore Ford is also offering Service packages for various tenures which can also be looked into. It would be nice to drive year after year with zero billing on service. I have asked Ford for a quote on Service Holiday. I'll share the inputs when I get them.
techiecal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 10:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Don't know why Ford always shortchange the Fiesta.

When we got ours, the extended warranty was available only for an additional year. So, the Fiesta is on a 3 years, 60K KM warranty now.

So, this news is a mixed bag for me. I can opt for an additional 12 months and 40K KM now. But really wonder why Ford cannot make it 5 years given the EcoSport and Fiesta share so much.
Based on the info in this thread i contacted the ford dealer and at first they had no clue of the 4th year extended warranty being offered on the new fiesta. They said they will get back to me and did so in an hour.

However, their response is that :

"you should have bought the 4th year warranty along with 3rd year warranty" and ONLY 4th year warranty is not available

I tried to reason with them that 4th year warranty was NOT available at that time and the ONLY option was that of 3rd year warranty. How could a person buy 4th year warranty when it wasn't even available? But like a parrot the person kept repeating that this is the info they have got from Ford India that you can ONLY buy 3rd year + 4th year together. Now since you have already taken 3rd year warranty alone, you can't take 4th year warranty.

Now will write an email to Ford India customer service and ask them what the deal is here.

Not sure if the dealer incompetent here or is Ford India taking customers for a ride.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th April 2015 at 10:15.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed