Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 14:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volvo V40 Cross Country petrol launched at Rs. 27 Lakh (Ex-Mumbai)

Swedish automaker Volvo has officially launched the V40 Cross Country petrol in India. The car has been priced at Rs. 27 Lakh (ex-showroom Mumbai). The model is powered by a 1.6L, GTDi (Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection) 4-cylinder engine that makes 177.5 BHP and 240 Nm of torque. The car comes with a 5-star Euro NCAP collision test rating and safety features include laser assisted automatic braking, dynamic stability and traction control, active bending headlights, side impact protection system and whiplash protection among others.

Volvo V40 Cross Country petrol launched at Rs. 27 Lakh (Ex-Mumbai)-1.jpg

The exterior feature list includes day time running LEDs, black accents on the side mirrors, side decor and boot frame, a matt black honeycomb front grille with a chrome garnish, silver front & rear skid plates and 16-inch “Geminus“ alloy wheels. On the inside, the car gets a choice of 2-tone or single tone leather interior upholstery, a frame-less IRVM and “X-Shape” design seats.

Volvo currently offers the S60, S80, V40 Cross Country, XC60 and XC90 in India. The brand currently has dealerships in 13 cities with two more expected in West Delhi and Kolkata.

Volvo V40 Cross Country petrol launched at Rs. 27 Lakh (Ex-Mumbai)-volvov40p1.jpg

Volvo V40 Cross Country petrol launched at Rs. 27 Lakh (Ex-Mumbai)-volvov40p.jpg

Volvo V40 Cross Country petrol launched at Rs. 27 Lakh (Ex-Mumbai)-volvov40p5.jpg

Volvo V40 Cross Country petrol launched at Rs. 27 Lakh (Ex-Mumbai)-volvov40p2.jpg

Volvo V40 Cross Country petrol launched at Rs. 27 Lakh (Ex-Mumbai)-volvov40p3.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 21st April 2015 at 15:08.
Tushar is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 14:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Volvo V40 Cross Country petrol launched at Rs. 27 Lakh (Ex-Mumbai)

Are the equipment levels same as the diesel variant. That's close to 6 lacs cheaper than the diesel variant. Now only if volvo launches the normal V40 hatch at 23.xx lacs and we have a winner
Crazy_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 14:15   #3
BHPian

That is way cheaper than the diesel one and now competes with the A class. Though it offers more space as well. Its a good price to be honest.
This has a lot more power when you compare it to the A or B.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2015 at 11:56. Reason: Typo
Old 20th April 2015, 15:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

That 1.6L GTDi engine is actually a Ford Ecoboost engine. Mighty impressive figures from a 1.6L motor.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 15:33   #5
BHPian

Any idea whether 4WD / AWD version is available? Volvo is reputed for reliability but service network is yet to come at par with Toyota.
Old 20th April 2015, 15:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOINGPOING View Post
Any idea whether 4WD / AWD version is available? Volvo is reputed for reliability but service network is yet to come at par with Toyota.
Nope, just the FWD in petrol and diesel. Only the XC60 and 90 come with AWD options in the Volvo range cars here.
kartavya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 15:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Though the price is good, I do not see the USP or the brand desirability of Volvo in this space.
Also, from the pic posted in the OP, I found the looks to be strictly ok and nothing flashy.
Add that hideous bumper cladding and it wont win any contests!!
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 16:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Looks fantastic. Being a Volvo, I know it's the safest in it's segment. Certainly the one to distinguish yourself from the crowd. If I had the money, I would prefer it to the 3 Germans.

Impressive power & torque figures from a 1.6L.
Old 20th April 2015, 16:15   #9
BHPian

Do we really believe that a Volvo is any more safer than an Audi or a BW or a Merc? I can understand historically they were pioneers in adding safety features but with a lot of safety features nowadays commodity (ABS, Airbags, ESP etc), I do not believe that safety is a USP in the segment that Volvo seeks to operate in.
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 16:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

I assume the lazer assisted automatic braking is unlikely to feature in the models sold in India? The government doesnt approve the use of lazer or radar guided features in cars?

I guess one way to look at Volvo's obsession with safety is to compare the safety features of the V40 with the safety features of say the A-class, 1-series and A3. I dont think side impact protection and whiplash protection features in the german trio entry models.

I like the V40. I think it looks amazing. Maybe a few lakhs lower would have made it more attractive to buy.
Old 20th April 2015, 16:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Though the price is good, I do not see the USP or the brand desirability of Volvo in this space.
Also, from the pic posted in the OP, I found the looks to be strictly ok and nothing flashy.
Add that hideous bumper cladding and it wont win any contests!!
Have a look at it in the flesh. This car looks fabulous!
reignofchaos is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 17:02   #12
BHPian

The V40 Cross Country has always looked the part but sold less due to the high pricing of the diesel variant and Indian customer's obsession with German brands. Now, with the petrol model priced so well, i hope more of these beauties are seen on the road. The safety tech that the car has is simply unmatched and it offers more space than the Merc A-Class and BMW 1-Series.

Volvo has been churning out some beautiful cars in the recent times and i hope they get the sales numbers they deserve in our country. Eagerly waiting for the launch of the Volvo XC90 which is rumoured to have been preponed to the next month.
amansanc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 17:48   #13
BHPian

I am not doubting the attractiveness of V40. If anything, I love this car and made inquiries from Bangalore Volvo - got very tepid response. I just believe that if I were to buy this car, it will not be hinged on the safety factor but rather the form factor and what it delivers vis-a-vis the entry level German trio.
Old 20th April 2015, 18:00   #14
BHPian

A year back when I was car hunting, the price quoted by Volvo for the V40 Diesel in Chennai was 38 Lakhs On-board. At 27 Lakhs ex-showroom, the onroad price should be around 32 lakhs. One has to keep in mind that the cost of insurance for Volvo is much lower than the German brands. World over the USP of Volvo is safety but in the Indian market they would be served better by highlighting it's reliability and service costs. This car will definitely do well. Prices will come down further once Volvo starts CKD operations in Indian.
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 21:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

i test drove the V40 diesel last year and while it didnt seem an enticing proposition at that price point, what really got me impressed was the interior of that car. In terms of quality and sheer aesthetics, it was a notch above anything the german trio had to offer in this segment.

at 27L ex showroom, this car starts to make a lot of sense.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed