Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Then sir, you have not met, Harley owners, bulleteers and Safari owners. There are lot of such people like me, who replace/upgrade within the brand and models. I am not sure about the Nano specifically, but I would have surely replaced my existing Nano with the Next gen, if I owned one in the first place.
Dear Sir
I am completely in sync with your statement here.
What you have mentioned are cult/classics and they abide by the brotherhood code.
The case may not be the same with Nano.
Yes, it may be immensely practical and I am sure some members may look at the added convenience of the upgrade.
What I have mentioned is limited to my perspective.
arnabchak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:48   #32
BHPian

Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

with the addition of the AMT box, openable rear hatch and electric assisted steering, TATA motors have perfected the Nano, I feel. Sincerely hope that this does well in the market. For the first time since it's launch, I would definitely consider a Nano now if I am looking at getting a small city car.
Games Goblin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
with the addition of the AMT box, openable rear hatch and electric assisted steering, TATA motors have perfected the Nano, I feel. Sincerely hope that this does well in the market. For the first time since it's launch, I would definitely consider a Nano now if I am looking at getting a small city car.
Looking at the state of our cities this should be the default for city drive like a Honda Activa. Why should you use a 7 seater to drop a kid in a school with a driver since the mother can't drive. This Nano AMT can seriously reduce traffic congestion in small towns where roads are narrow, the number of cars that can be parked can be doubled.
If slowly people get confidence in the product I see no reason why the volumes can't be increased provided there is good supply of AMT boxes. Initially there could be a decent waiting period on this just like Celerio AMT had.
damodar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
A person with a Nano and having driven it for X years would never settle for another Nano(even an AMT) and would look at an upgrade.
Nano for me was targeted at people wanting to buy their only car but now its liked more by an entirely different segment of people

In my opinion, the people who were targeted initially-those planning to buy their 'only car' or first car, have given their verdict and they are now:
1. continuing with a 2 wheeler or public transport till they can buy a new 'all-rounder car' like Alto/Santro,
2. buying their choice of 'all-rounder car' from the used car market.

I feel, Majority of the people who currently purchase a Nano, buy it because:
1. The small size is really easy to drive around inside the city
2. A second car in the family for errands
3. 'Safe' Vehicle...especially for females. By Safe I don't mean ABS/Airbags

And for the above mentioned segment of people, affordability is not a big issue and I feel they will never move to a bigger car.

Overall, since this segment of people is currently very small in our country and mostly exist only in cities, sales figures of Nano is very small. AMT will only make this segment bigger albeit not by a huge percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Regarding pricing, I feel the difference of 1.5L against the Alto is justified in terms of a bigger engine (with almost same fuel efficiency), openable and more usable boot, broader & matching tires (F & R), better brakes and better stability.
It may be justified for some but not for the majority of the people currently buying nano who I feel have other reasons as I have written above.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 22nd April 2015 at 11:33.
hemanth.anand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:17   #35
BHPian

I would buy the Nano the day it launches with the AMT. I think in addition to being cheaper, it would be far more comfortable than its immediate rivals. And a cost differential of 1 L or more on an alto that costs 4.5 is almost close to 25% differential, that alone may become a good enough justification for an alto buyer.
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I have SMS'ed them. Lets see if I hear back...
Update: I got a call from TM. The CSR just rieterated what is mentioend in the OP. They have taken my details and will forward it to a local dealer. Fingers crossed, I hope I get a decent evaluation of my current car. And looking forward to see how GenX is!
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
For me
Let me just add point number 9 to this list: Nano Ac is way way better than that of the Alto.

Edit: I have also sent the sms for getting to know more details of this scheme. I had noted in the other thread that I would consider exchanging Nano for an AMT Nano. Lets see how it goes.

Last edited by avingodb : 22nd April 2015 at 12:35.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
A person with a Nano and having driven it for X years would never settle for another Nano(even an AMT) and would look at an upgrade.
So, I really dont see how Tata may actually gain from this campaign!!
Not necessarily IMO.
My grandad bought 5 innovas consecutively; religiously replacing one with another after crossing 1,00,000 kms in the old one. He did not find suitable vehicle to replace it for even double the money. He bought his last innova in May last year before he passed away in June.

I am sure there are many such Nano owners.
Though I have never owned or driven one, I did sit in the car in the showroom.
Boy was I surprised. I am 6'4" and I can sit behind someone who is as tall.
Cannot say the same about my Duster which costs 4 times as much if not more.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 22nd April 2015 at 13:05.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:49   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Where has Tata mentioned that the offer is for the AMT and not just for manual cars?? I'm getting really confused here, with the general public confidently announcing the launch of the AMT, while inside sources in the company are declaring that only manual will be launched now.

Couldn't this offer be for the new nano with openable boot lid, facelift etc?

While I'm very very excited about the amt nano, I just don't see enough evidence to be,I've that this offer is for the AMT
JayD, earlier I had mentioned that if it was GenX then it has to be an AMT. I was not entirely correct, my apologies. I got a call from CSR since I had shown interest in the GenX and he informed me that there are two variants, one the AMT and the other being a manual transmission one but with an openable hatch. The AMT too will feature the openable hatch.

So the AMT is confirmed. Exchange pricing will be at the discretion of the dealer, now waiting for their call.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand. What is the difference between this offer and the usual loyalty bonus on exchange? Apart from "winning" a cash amount of 5K for referrals, I dont see any difference.
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

This is Nano-Loyalty. The regular offers are brand loyalty.
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:49   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
with the general public confidently announcing the launch of the AMT, while inside sources in the company are declaring that only manual will be launched now.
The official press release from Tata confirms the AMT.

If we aren't sure of anything we publish, the tag 'rumour' is always added at the start of the title.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I see no reason why the volumes can't be increased provided there is good supply of AMT boxes. Initially there could be a decent waiting period on this just like Celerio AMT had.
I was all head over heels after reading the news and immediately sent out the SMS. But as you have mentioned, the constraint that may happen with the supply of AMT boxes brought me back to earth.

I read somewhere that they'd use the next generation of AMT boxes, i.e one step above the Alto. So should we expect even longer waiting periods?

BTW the Alto K10 AMT VXi metallic trim is 5.12 On-road Bangalore. Hope Tata can price it at below 3.5L on-road. If wishes were horses...fingers crossed that Tata doesn't do this
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
If slowly people get confidence in the product I see no reason why the volumes can't be increased provided there is good supply of AMT boxes.
Going by the past history of Maruti, they would do everything they can to choke Tata with the AMT supply if Nano actually becomes successful. I've read somewhere that they asked suppliers to restrict supply of parts at the time of Indica launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Nano for me was targeted at people wanting to buy their only car but now its liked more by an entirely different segment of people
And for the above mentioned segment of people, affordability is not a big issue and I feel they will never move to a bigger car.

Overall, since this segment of people is currently very small in our country and mostly exist only in cities, sales figures of Nano is very small. AMT will only make this segment bigger albeit not by a huge percentage.
Exactly what I was about to write; you saved a lot of typing for me.

Here is an additional point to add on the lower sales numbers for Nano - a lot of people live in the flats when it comes to these dense cities where the Nano is most useful as a second car. However, majority of these flats have just a single parking and can rarely accommodate the second car, even if they can afford one. This is another reason for the low numbers for any second car for the average middle class family where both spouses are employed and a second car is really useful.

Unfortunately, even the newly constructed flats in most cities very rarely have double car parking and hence the second car would be something a lot of people would just discard even if they can afford. These are all potential Nano customers. Probably Tata Motors should venture into real estate first and build flats with 2 car park before pushing for Nano sales!
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:51   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Not necessarily IMO.
My grandad bought 5 innovas consecutively; religiously replacing one with another after crossing 1,00,000 kms in the old one. He did not find suitable vehicle to replace it for even double the money.
There is a difference between the kind of customers innova is getting and the target audience of the Nano. However, we have to consider the reasons why a person can retain loyalty to an Innova(just for example) and why not. Things that go for the innova

1. Durablity
2. Resale value
3. Reliability
4. Ability to withstand abuse
5. Popularity
6. Brand image
7. Ease of maintenance or low running costs.

Now considering all this, your grandfathers choice was right even if he had brought five more innovas. Now the same logic can be applied here. Existing owners might not find a better replacement to their Nanos. Hence they will definitely swap the car for a new Nano. These are the people for whom Nano will be a second car usually. That will be a meager number.

Most Viewed