Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2015, 05:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

Two humble suggestions from my side for all Nano owners looking to upgrade to the GenX AMT variant.

(1) Do not exchange your current Nano: the dealer will definitely undervalue your cars for making profit at resale. You may be able to get 2x that price in the used car market. I am not exaggerating.

(2) Wait for at least 6 months after the launch of the GenX Nano:
(a) If there are any teething troubles with the operable hatch or AMT, Tata will do something to resolve in that time.
(b) Since the sales are not going to sky-rocket even after launch of GenX, dealers will again go back to offering good discounts (read 40 - 50K) to move their stocks.
(c) Moreover, due to the general price range of Nano going up with this launch (very probable), I believe the older ones may fetch better resale values 6 months down the line.
Viju is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 09:52   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

If I have to go by the management perception on Nano; this could the last and final attempt to push the product and a failure in meeting (exceeding expectation never happened in TML except when Indica V2 was launched) expectations, the plan Nano will see a sunset.

Tata Kite is round the corner and would certainly be a good bet as it will be in the range of entry level product line again with

- Completely new platform, body shell, engine options literally everything end to end
- The spy pics of Kite are promising and it looks like a proper hatchback
- The AMT is definitely going to find its way in it
- Tata is generally okay in terms of pricing, I hope they will remember what happened to Aria and what is going on with Bolt at moment

Those who have a Nano and are looking at replacement with GenX Nano, they may consider waiting for Kite which I hope will be worth it.

Cheers
Old 24th April 2015, 09:56   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
(1) Do not exchange your current Nano:
(2) Wait for at least 6 months after the launch of the GenX Nano:
+1.

Expect dealers to undervalue the current gen Nano. It would be good if TATA themselves provides dealers/public a region specific resale price chart for ref (+/- certain percentage for the condition is acceptable). But I highly doubt TATA will do anything sensible to regain customers, esp from the way Safari Storme things are on going
Old 24th April 2015, 10:01   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Two humble suggestions from my side for all Nano owners looking to upgrade to the GenX AMT variant.
I have been going through a dilemma on similar lines.

My first gen Nano is less than 4 years and 20k kms old. And I love its sunshine yellow shade Does it make sense to swap it already?

On the other hand, its resale value (whatever it is) is not going to go up with second gen Nanos being available in the market already, At the same time, with the swap, I would get a bigger fuel tank, small rise in power, power steering, AMT (if priced right), better noise insulation and a new car per se!

But yes, I do largely agree with your point of a wait and watch strategy because by monsoon and festive season, more cash discounts will come in certainly.
Old 24th April 2015, 15:18   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Here is an additional point to add on the lower sales numbers for Nano - a lot of people live in the flats when it comes to these dense cities where the Nano is most useful as a second car. However, majority of these flats have just a single parking and can rarely accommodate the second car, even if they can afford one. This is another reason for the low numbers for any second car for the average middle class family where both spouses are employed and a second car is really useful.

Unfortunately, even the newly constructed flats in most cities very rarely have double car parking and hence the second car would be something a lot of people would just discard even if they can afford. These are all potential Nano customers. Probably Tata Motors should venture into real estate first and build flats with 2 car park before pushing for Nano sales!
Very well said, I am one of the examples, I haggled with the builder to get a second parking, which I was trying for some time. The moment I got one and booked in my name, next week I went and booked a nano twist as my second car. I am very happy with Nano. This is my third vehicle and all from TATA stable.
Old 24th April 2015, 17:29   #66
BHPian

SMSed yesterday around 3 pm.

Got a call by 4:30 pm. Courteous. Well informed.

Brief facts:
  1. Fuel tank capacity increased to 24 litres (Wow)
  2. GenX available as both - MANUAL & AUTOMATIC
  3. Automatic - will have Sports Mode, as well as can be used to shift gears manually (we already knew that about AMT)
  4. Music system with Bluetooth. 1 DIN. Non-touchscreen. (asking too much )
  5. Remote locking with key will come on both keys - factory installed
  6. Openable boot - confirmed
  7. 4 speaker music system
  8. E-PAS - speed sensitive power steering - weight of steering increases after 60 kmph
  9. Turning radius of 4 m
  10. Tray below the seat
  11. New speedometer console - with Distance to Empty, Fuel Indicator, Average display - MID
  12. Front 2 power-window switches. - Entire console changed - might be the one seen at Auto Expo
  13. Gear shift stalk will also be higher - so shorter throws

This is the GenX.

Exchange offer - simple - Market price of your current Nano + 20,000 exchange bonus.
Market price of Nano .... open term. Let's see how it goes.

Additionally - for every car you buy - they will sponsor a year's worth of food and education to a child under C.R.Y. - and you shall be issued a certificate in your name.
(Philantrophic Tata at it's best!)
It is seriously a mystery how they manage to profit.

Referral scheme - give the name and number of your friend's whom you think might be interested in buying the Nano.
For every reference who buys one - you get a 5,000 Rs. voucher.

Offer is on - valid till 31st May.

Launch due in 1st week of May.

Date & Pricing - not declared. (Rather not allowed to declare)

I have a Nano 2012 LX Special Edition. My wife is currently learning to drive on it. If they offer me anything around the 1.2 L mark - I will go for it.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 17:54   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Market price of Nano .... open term. Let's see how it goes.

Date & Pricing - not declared. (Rather not allowed to declare)
Thanks, Doc.

1) Market price - so better go armed with price for your Nano

2) Pricing - who is not allowed to declare - they were not allowed to share with you, or you cant share with us ?
Old 24th April 2015, 18:38   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, Doc.

1) Market price - so better go armed with price for your Nano

2) Pricing - who is not allowed to declare - they were not allowed to share with you, or you cant share with us ?
Absolutely !!!

Better to get a good idea right away.

There's another post above by Viju which also has a valid point

The indianbluebook.com or our own TeamBHP

Let's have a realistic figure in mind.

They knew it. Asked some round about yes/no questions.
Almost got the figures out of them.
But can't be sure.
So don't want to spread rumours or post facts that I am not certain about.
Old 25th April 2015, 19:32   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I just hope they wont give nonsense valuation for the incoming Nanos. Last time when the Nano Twist was launched, my uncle went in for exchanging his 18 month old 4k km run Nano for exchange. He was given a value of 55k.
Suzuki will offer you a buy-back bonus if you are trading in a Maruti/Suzuki. However, Tata will offer you a trade-in bonus if you are trading in any other brand! They're probably hoping that after you buy a Tata, you'll hold on to it for about 8-12 years and will with most certainty be back for another Tata that they will not have to pay you a bonus to retain you as a customer.
Old 27th April 2015, 15:14   #70
BHPian

What is this I hear? Overdrive and some other online reports say that the GenX is likely to get an 800 CC, 50 bhp heart. How can they use the word 'Likely' so lightly? There is a saying in Malayalam, 'Aana Koduthalum Aasha Kodukaruthe' translated as ' You can give an elephant,but never give (false) hope'

Also Overdrive claims they get to drive the vehicle today!

I now know how the Apple groupies feel, when they are waiting outside an Apple store, not able to suppress the eagerness to get their hands on their next apple Ithing!
Old 27th April 2015, 15:29   #71
Senior - BHPian

A reliable source had informed me that a 3cyl Nano, and a Turbo Petrol nano have also been developed. No idea on launch though.
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 06:53   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
nijelj : Also Overdrive claims they get to drive the vehicle today!
Looks like a few did get to drive it yesterday.

Quote:
nijelj : Overdrive and some other online reports say that the GenX is likely to get an 800 CC, 50 bhp heart.
Possibly related to ?
Quote:
JayD : A reliable source had informed me that a 3cyl Nano, and a Turbo Petrol nano have also been developed.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 11:24   #73
BHPian

While discussing about the launch with my parents, they seem to be very keen on upgrading our Nano.

Mine's a 2010 Nano LX that's run 35,000 km. Compared to that, what I get in the new Nano are:

1) Openable Hatch
2) Power steering
3) Larger Steering
4) AMT (5 speed)
5) Larger Boot
6) Larger Fuel tank
7) Better refinement
8) Better power (?)

But I'l be facing a depreciation of over a lakh and need to shell out more for the new one. Thinking in another angle, selling off a nano few years down the line maybe even more troublesome! I also considered replacing the Nano with some other car, maybe even the new Kite or similar cars. But few things that no other cars can offer are -

1) The 4m turning radius
2) Peppy engine
3) Smallest size + good space combination
4) Fuel efficiency

These things are so unique to the Nano. So no replacement can be found for these qualities. So it's more confusing again!

I've asked for a call from Mohandas Motors as soon as the test-drive starts. Awaiting official test-drive reports (esp from T-BHP)

BTW - just found a pic of a Nano that's run 2.5lac kilometers! -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Cheers!

Last edited by freakmuzik : 28th April 2015 at 11:44.
Old 28th April 2015, 19:10   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

The fortunes & the future of this car squarely depend on the pricing. A good introductory pricing can keep this car alive to fight another day.

And my purchase decision will also depend on the pricing now.

Problem with Tata's pricing has been - price it a little high initially. And then give a discount later. That wont help things.
Old 28th April 2015, 19:41   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
While discussing about the launch with my parents, they seem to be very keen on upgrading our Nano.

Mine's a 2010 Nano LX that's run 35,000 km. Compared to that, what I get in the new Nano are:
!
A few months ago, we were offered 60k for our June 2011 Sunshine yellow Nano LX that has around 15K kms, in exchange for the twist.
I wonder how much will they offer now.
Its better that you sell it in open market than exchanging for a new one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks