Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:36   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!

After seeing all these I realized that creator of the compact sedan segment, Tata's Indigo CS is best of the lot. See how good the design and boot integration is!!

+ It has 380 litre boot space without compromising on passenger comfort/ cabin space

pic source: google, respective owners
Attached Thumbnails
VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-indigocsrear.jpg  

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-indigocsrear1.jpg  

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-indigocsside.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd February 2016 at 16:40.
Latheesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:43   #212
BHPian

Iam really impressed with VW Ameo and the car look very proportionate when you compare with the competition. They have to price it very close to Swift Dzire even to make some noise which will compete them Honda Amaze, Hyundai Zcent. The below three impressed me the most
1) ABS and Airbags standard on all variants
2) This side angle of the car looks proportionate
3) The boot looks spacious and can swallow good amount of luggage
4) Rear AC vents
Note: Iam posting some images which are courtesy by indianautosblog
Attached Thumbnails
VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-ameo.jpg  

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-ameo1.jpg  

engine_charan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:45   #213
Senior - BHPian

I agree Latheesh, wholeheartedly. Also, I have a hunch that new launches/showcases may completely overshadow Ameo in the coming days.
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:02   #214
BHPian

The factor which will draw people to this car is definitely the build quality and the features offered. Glad to see cruise control in this car...something that I was looking out for in a car in this segment.
Let's hope they price it sensibly.
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:04   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine_charan View Post
Iam really impressed with VW Ameo and the car look very proportionate when you compare with the competition. They have to price it very close to Swift Dzire even to make some noise which will compete them Honda Amaze, Hyundai Zcent. The below three impressed me the most
1) ABS and Airbags standard on all variants
2) This side angle of the car looks proportionate
3) The boot looks spacious and can swallow good amount of luggage
4) Rear AC vents
Note: Iam posting some images which are courtesy by indianautosblog
You're kidding me right?

It's literally a Vento with a chopped back end! The only thing proportionate about this car from the side is until the beginning of the rear wheel arch!

This is testament to the fact that VW is not willing to/can't spend time developing a new sub 4 meter car for India and want to hack something as soon as possible! And I'm quite sure it's doomed to fail (read Quanto!)
qr20de is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:08   #216
BHPian

The boot integration looks nice. But I wonder if the cost of development will be worth it for VW, given that they are so late in the game. A little more risk appetite, and an experiment with a different shape, or segment, may have been a higher risk/ higher reward option at this time. Playing safe may not give them the breakthrough they want. Look at what Renault did with the Duster and the Kwid. Only two models in half a decade, and proven track record of strategic mis-steps, and they are still in the game. That's what breakthrough products do for you.
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:33   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
You're kidding me right?

It's literally a Vento with a chopped back end! The only thing proportionate about this car from the side is until the beginning of the rear wheel arch!

This is testament to the fact that VW is not willing to/can't spend time developing a new sub 4 meter car for India and want to hack something as soon as possible! And I'm quite sure it's doomed to fail (read Quanto!)
Just another car maker who wants to make some quick buck due to the weird automotive policies in India. Earn more profit per car by means of lower tax benefits. What effort in terms of R&D is needed in developing this one? Cut a few millimeters off a Vento and a new "Sedan" is born. 2 minute job on MS Paint at the max.

Last edited by anish5225 : 2nd February 2016 at 17:37.
anish5225 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:48   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Battle of the Compact Sedans - which one is uglier?
I'll play that.

All sub-4m offerings look like chopped-up versions of their parent siblings, and TBH none of them impress in the looks department.

But to be fair to the Ameo, it is based on the Polo so look-wise, it's front is quite good. Coming to the side, the front two-thirds is again clean and timeless. It's where the rear quarter glass starts that the Ameo loses the plot, ending with a quirky DZire-ish boot section.

So, in order of ugliness first, I would rate them in this order:

Dzire

Xcent

Aspire

Amaze

Zest

Ameo

No offence to any present or future owners of all these cars.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:51   #219
BHPian

Quote:
It all boils down to one individual's taste and requirement. If Honda can sell the bare bones Amaze upto 3-4k/month and the ugliest of the lot 'Dzire' sells more than 10k/month, then definitely we can expect decent numbers for Ameo.For aam junta any car with a boot is a sedan. No matter its compact sedan or a full sized one. Only we BHPians analyze it to the core

Considering that it will be well built and featured it should sell around 1.5-2k/month if I am not too optimistic.

BTW I hate the CS segment & given a choice I would definitely choose Vento with eyes closed..
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:04   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I'll play that.

All sub-4m offerings look like chopped-up versions of their parent siblings, and TBH none of them impress in the looks department.

But to be fair to the Ameo, it is based on the Polo so look-wise, it's front is quite good. Coming to the side, the front two-thirds is again clean and timeless. It's where the rear quarter glass starts that the Ameo loses the plot, ending with a quirky DZire-ish boot section.

So, in order of ugliness first, I would rate them in this order:

Dzire

Xcent

Aspire

Amaze

Zest

Ameo

No offence to any present or future owners of all these cars.
Agreed with the line up of ugliness. I believe Ameo will do decent numbers if they undercut Dzire prices. One gets much more in Ameo as VFM proposition and many will see that resulting in sales number.

Notorious VW A.S.S and costly spares is my only concern which I believe will be shared by many here. So, VW should be proactive and give proper service break ups along with the necessary wear and tear spare parts cost along with the launch to gain much needed customer trust. Only an apology for the emission scandal won't cut it.They need to show that they care about customers.

Also, I hate this trend of soft unveiling without sharing product price and delivery dates. Tata did same with Zica. They may think this as an awesome marketing gimmick but Imo it only creates negativity. In this age of hard-core competition a customer won't wait for ages and will lose interest easily.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:39   #221
BHPian

Honestly, The Ameo seems to be the best looking of the CS segment hands down. I agree the Indica still looks good() but hey, it's Ages old! If the Ameo has the usual build quality of the Germans, it will be a much much safer car than the Dzire.
Personally, I don't get it. The Dzire is just a Swift + some 50 litre boot space. Why not just get a Swift for that?
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:43   #222
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I always failed to understand the value of these Compact Sedans. CS to me always meant "Cut Short".

Now after a recent experience of pilferage on the road in Bombay, when I was using an Innova taxi, I realise that a Boot/ Trunk does have its advantages, provided of course, it is lockable and the lock does not open along with those of the doors.

Saying that, not much really, can create a real "beauty" from the typically ugly, disproportionate little CS's...
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:58   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Wheels are humongous 215-sections riding on 16" rims:
215? R16? Are you kidding me? I thought the Jetta's were shod with 205/55 R16. Can you verify it again?
Looks like the Polo and moreover the Vento are under tyred.
Looking forward to see those sweet looking wheels on the Ameo in flesh!
Old 2nd February 2016, 20:05   #224
BHPian

Quote:
You're kidding me right?

If you can read my comments properly. I said it looks proportionate when you compare it with the competition which means when you compare it with Honda Amaze, Swift Dzire, Tata Zest, Hyundai Xcent, it looks decent.

I totally agree it is a Vento with a chopped back end.
Old 2nd February 2016, 20:37   #225
BHPian

The Ameo should settle at 1500-2000 cars per month - a very healthy number considering the VW market share. The only fear is it will further dent the sales of the Vento. Both look 'similar' to the 'layman' and the price differential will be high. Also, a lighter car with a good engine & GB combo will appeal to the enthusiast as well as the 'family man'.
The Rapid is surely history. This could also affect the Aspire+Zest. I don't really see it affecting the Xcent much and the Dzire will continue to rule.
The only thing is the spare pricing, service costs and service expectations will have to be met. Considering it is the first 'Indian' car in its portfolio, I feel it will have cheaper part prices (localization). But that can be a deal breaker to many if not done right.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks