Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 18:37   #76
BHPian

re: VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!

A long wheelbase polo would have done the trick! I hope it wont look like the verito vibe.
Old 29th December 2015, 21:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I agree, guys. Am seriously unable to understand the purpose of this hack job. The sub-4 meter Vento might just end up in no man's land.
Unfortunately for VW, the international launch of the new Polo is some time away. I also remember reading about VW's plant needing serious updates in order to produce the next gen Polo (which will be based on the MQB platform, not the current PQ25 platform).

The purpose of this is probably to keep interest in the brand alive in the sub 10L market until 2017 or 2018 because they have no other products to launch. Hopefully, they don't end up with a poorly made hackjob.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 09:12   #78
BHPian

Overdrive has posted a gallery of spyshots of the highly anticipated VW India Compact Sedan (VW ICS), which is rumored to be christened the VW Ameo.Spyshots offer a closer look at the production-ready exterior of the sedan.

I wonder why VW is trying a "me too car" in compact sedan segment instead of playing in compact SUV space.

http://overdrive.in/news/spied-volks...otted-testing/

Last edited by CkmGowda : 31st December 2015 at 09:16. Reason: Made the post crisper by deleting few unnecessary words.
CkmGowda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 10:11   #79
Team-BHP Support

Could notice the cruise control stalk and the new gen. HU which isn't present on any of the current Polo/Vento models sold here.

Name:  Volkswagensmallcar114.png
Views: 6372
Size:  340.9 KB

Name:  Volkswagensmallcar111VolkswagenAmeo.png
Views: 6548
Size:  357.1 KB

This is the new HU (don't know the model number):

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-vwinfotainment.jpg
Source: Google Images

I am also betting this car might get the new anti-glare IRVM sold on the Polo/Polo Sedan overseas going by the shape of the mirror from the previous scoop shot:

Name:  20151228_021948.png
Views: 6739
Size:  284.3 KB

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-6l3fbow.jpg
Source: TBHP (Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo)

Man, I wish VW made something along the lines of the Rapid Spaceback. Could have been squeezed under 4 m (although the Spaceback measures >4 m overall) and would have looked better than this sub-4m sedan.

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-skoda_rapid_spaceback_1.2_tsi_style_plus__heckansicht_15._mrz_2014_dsseldorf.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 10:28   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkmGowda View Post

I wonder why VW is trying a "me too car" in compact sedan segment instead of playing in compact SUV space.
I guess that's the question everyone has. I think we heard about VW compact sedan plans a couple of years back. At that time the CS craze was picking up and was definitely a fast growing segment with not too many players. It's probably too late now, but I assume it is too much of an investment to throw away. So may be going ahead and hoping for some volumes if it is a good product. Overall I think it's not too hopeless. Few things from the spyshots and rumors which if is true can result in a good product.
  • Build and finish. Most compact sedans today have a lot of obvious cost cutting. If VW can retain the Polo levels of build and interior fit and finish, it can attract buyers.
  • Engines and transmission: There is a rumour of the 1.0 TSI. We know it is a gem of an engine. This can definitely attract buyers. The diesel will be the 1.5 which is competent enough. ( maybe in the GT state of tune). They should also provide the dsg, especially with the diesel. Today we have only AMT diesels in the segment.
  • Features. From the spyshots looks like an AVN system is standard. I also see what look like drls. There are rumors of auto headlamps and wipers and cruise control. Surprisingly most of the others do not have all these.
  • Price. VW has already said it is a premium compact sedan. They can place it above the Polo but not way above. That would kill it. I think there is enough space between the polo and vento.

It would definitely cannibalize the Polo and Vento and hence I don't see too much growth in volume. But it will be a good option to have.

2 years back I booked the Polo Gt tsi and switched to the Vento because of the rear and boot space. The Vento was actually too much of a stretch. A VW compact sedan with a little more space would have worked for me. (assuming the tsi dsg combo).

Today I am going to book a polo gt for a relative with delivery needed only by March April. They also actually need something between the polo and vento. Depending on when this launches and how it turns out, may switch to this.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 31st December 2015 at 10:30.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 10:59   #81
BANNED

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2015/12/v...apped-up-close

This will be the most balanced looking (from side) sub-4m sedan, IMO - thanks to its low height and wide stance.
Attached Thumbnails
VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-vwameosubcompactsedansidesnappedupclose.jpg  

Old 31st December 2015, 11:04   #82
Senior - BHPian

The hood will be too long for the cut job at the rear. They might try to put new features into this to make it interesting though. A notchback with new design could have been differentiating. But then everyone wants to make money without spending money!

As there is saying which goes on the lines of "you shouldn't stoop down to pig's level.....", if they can't make a impression in higher segments, how would they be able to do this at this level? There is no clear focus and they are getting carried away by being reactive.

Last edited by srishiva : 31st December 2015 at 11:06.
Old 31st December 2015, 14:25   #83
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The Vento's long hood and streamlined cabin deserve a full-sized boot to give the car a classic sedan look. A stubby little boot and thin rear bumper are going to upset the Ameo's proportions for sure.

Just take a look at the Brazilian Ford Ka+! It just looks that much more proportionate when compared to the Indian Ford Figo Aspire.

Anyway, it looks like the sub-4m sedan space (which is already a sub-segment of the C1 sedan category) is all set to be divided into three mini categories:

1) "Entry-level" sub-4m sedans - Indigo CS, Verito Vibe & upcoming Sway (i.e. Zica sedan)

2) "Mainstream" sub-4m sedans - Amaze, Aspire, Dzire, Xcent & Zest

3) "Premium" sub-4m sedans - upcoming Ameo (and a possible badge-engineered twin from Škoda)

No one would have imagined the sheer size and number of players in the sub-4m sedan space when the pioneering Tata Indigo CS came out about a decade ago.

Love 'em or hate 'em, sub-4m sedans are here to stay and proliferate!

The only thing we don't have now is a "luxury" or "super premium" sub-4m sedan mini category - something like an Audi A2 sedan (perhaps named the Audi A1.5), along with its rivals from Mercedes-Benz & BMW!

Last edited by RSR : 31st December 2015 at 14:43.
Old 31st December 2015, 21:55   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

This is the new HU (don't know the model number):

Attachment 1454738
Source: Google Images
I was very excited to see the new HU and then after the update from you, I tried some google search and this new HU supposedly is RCD 330. Its available in Russia and Finland. Now my bet is that VW is bringing the exact spec to India. In Russia this is available as an optional equipment for Polo Sedan.
Not much documentation is available on the functionalities of this HU. But if the google translation has to be trusted it has mirrorlink.

The way it has been fitted to the car makes me think that this would be a plug in even to the old / new Polos.

Standard HU.
VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-default-hu.png

New RCD 330 HU
VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-new-hu.png

New HU quick spec.
VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-capture.png

Good news for all VW Polo/ Vento owners, this may mark the end of grey interface for the VW infotainment in India.

source:-http://app.volkswagen.ru/ihdcc/ru/configurator.html?_ga=1.143788412.896320363.145157 7905#options/30201/32813/6144Q3$GPW1PW1$MSNRS7N/2016/2/F14 0N0N/F56 ML/GP00P00/+/+
rejoycjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 11:55   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
The way it has been fitted to the car makes me think that this would be a plug in even to the old / new Polos.
I doubt that. This seems to be the HU for MQB platform. Atleast the mirror link function is available in the new gen. HU for the MQB platform only. These are MIB based HUs available in the new Octavia III HU shape as well as good old RCD 510 and RNS 510 shape which would physically fit into the current models too. But I think these wont work with the pre-MQB cars. Vaguely remember reading somewhere that it wouldn't. Not so sure.

Here's a link to the thread I had put up regarding this gen HU sometime back.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...uture-ice.html

In that link it doesn't show the current RCD 510 shaped HU. You can check that out in EU spec MQB 2nd gen. Yeti page, say in UK Skoda web page. It will be a direct swap with the 1st gen. Yeti physically unlike the Octavia III HU shape. Here's the link to that page.. http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/new-yeti/default/. Scroll down and you could see the HU and click on the pic to get more details. The names remain same.. Columbus, Bolero, Amundsen, etc. Just new generations of those HUs. But now come in different shapes too. Anyways, the one seen in Vento looks like a lesser model than all 3 above mentioned HUs.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 1st January 2016 at 12:21. Reason: Added link
Old 1st January 2016, 23:46   #86
BHPian

To a layman like me , VW has one product in multiple sizes.

POLO = M

AMEO = L

VENTO = XL

JETTA = XXL

I hope VW has taken a new year resolution to give better reliability, after sales services and cheat free cars or else AMEO would be just a fad.
procrastinator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 01:42   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
To a layman like me , VW has one product in multiple sizes.

POLO = M

AMEO = L

VENTO = XL

JETTA = XXL
And I think when the UP! is launched, they'll also have an S. 😁
iss1307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 08:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

One more pic from Overdrive.in and 4 changes I can spot.

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-volkswagensmallcar112.jpg

1) The rear bumper is non existent as with all these CS designs. The most obvious change.
2) The boot lip is now sitting a bit tall and almost horizontal compared to Vento to gain as much volume as possible.
3) The trailing edge of the rear door is also straighter, the black plastic cladding now extends almost 3/4 of the window now.
4) The rear windshield is also at an angle less acute compared to Vento. And that adds a bit of length to the boot lid to help the side proportions.

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-2015vwvento06.jpg

Even the roof is camouflaged. So, I am still hoping this will be a notch back.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 13:20   #89
Team-BHP Support

Thank you to Gaurav Samant for sending these pictures in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts!

Here are some more spy shots of the upcoming compact sedan from Volkswagen. The car is rumoured to be called the 'Ameo' and is expected to make its debut at the 2016 Auto Expo.

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-a1.jpg

The Ameo will be Volkswagen's offering in the sub 4-metre sedan segment. It will take on the Maruti Suzuki Dzire, Honda Amaze, Hyundai Xcent, Ford Figo Aspire and Tata Zest.

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-a2.jpg

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-a3.jpg

The compact sedan is based on the same platform as the Polo hatchback and Vento sedan and is likely to share various parts and body panels with its siblings. However, it is likely to get some cosmetic changes and will feature a stubby boot, which will keep its length under four metres. This will enable it to qualify for excise duty benefits.

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-a4.jpg

The interiors of the Ameo are likely to be carried over from the Polo and Vento.

Engine and transmission options are likely to be carried over from the Polo as well and will include a 1.2-litre petrol unit and a 1.5-litre diesel powerplant.
Aditya is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 13:33   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thank you to Gaurav Samant for sending these pictures in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts!

Here are some more spy shots of the upcoming compact sedan from Volkswagen. The car is rumoured to be called the 'Ameo' and is expected to make its debut at the 2016 Auto Expo.
What was the need for VW to come up with such a chop-boot job? Just this morning while trailing a White VW Vento, I told my wife how good the back of the Vento looks and how I prefer the design of Vento to that of the Polo as Vento feels more complete and then I see this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed