Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 11:29   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!

If this compact sedan ends up selling more than both Polo and Vento, then VW India will be laughing all the way to the bank. The compact sedan will be cheaper to manufacture compared to the Polo and VW will be able to price it higher and save a lot on tax compared to the Vento.

For a regular guy, this one will have more room at the rear compared to the Polo and cheaper to own compared to the Vento. So, for all we know, this one could pick up even though the market for compact sedans as a whole is shrinking. And VW have no other go to pull up volume as there is no new volume products coming up in the short term.

And this is all very obvious really. Else, we wouldn't have so many manufacturers making their presence felt in the world of 4 meters. Sigh!
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 15:45   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Global unveil of the compact sedan to happen in India on Feb 2nd. Name still not officially out yet. Pretty much confirmed that it will be called Ameo.

Although the general consensus is too little too late, it is still a significant moment as this is the first time VW is launching a 'Made for India' car.

No concrete info on the engine options still. we have articles talking about the 1.2 and 1.5 TDI from the Polo, there is talk about 1.2 TSI and also rumor on the 1.0 TSI.

Source: Rushlane
Old 13th January 2016, 17:03   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And this is all very obvious really. Else, we wouldn't have so many manufacturers making their presence felt in the world of 4 meters. Sigh!
It is only a matter of time before the potential customers for Compact Sedans realize that the time has changed, and these days there are premium hatchbacks available at 3995 mm with a host of features at prices similar to Compact sedans.
When compared with Compact Sedans, premium hatchbacks have good interior space, due to the additional room, which would have otherwise lost to make the car a three box design. Lets face it! - A two box car (hatchback) has more space compared to the three box car (sedan) for the same dimensions.
IMHO, we have a dearth of hatchbacks that equal the dimensions (3995 mm length) of Compact Sedans, which is why they sell. (I can think of only i20, Baleno and Jazz that are large enough - everything else is 3.7m or less).
With that logic, this Vento CS would sell, but we cannot expect it to sell in large numbers, due to the emission scandal adding to other problems such as costly ASS and low sales network. If this car matches or crosses Zest's sales VW can consider it a good success!
Old 14th January 2016, 16:27   #109
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
It is only a matter of time before the potential customers for Compact Sedans realize that the time has changed, and these days there are premium hatchbacks available at 3995 mm with a host of features at prices similar to Compact sedans.
When compared with Compact Sedans, premium hatchbacks have good interior space, due to the additional room, which would have otherwise lost to make the car a three box design. Lets face it! - A two box car (hatchback) has more space compared to the three box car (sedan) for the same dimensions.
IMHO, we have a dearth of hatchbacks that equal the dimensions (3995 mm length) of Compact Sedans, which is why they sell. (I can think of only i20, Baleno and Jazz that are large enough - everything else is 3.7m or less).
With that logic, this Vento CS would sell, but we cannot expect it to sell in large numbers, due to the emission scandal adding to other problems such as costly ASS and low sales network. If this car matches or crosses Zest's sales VW can consider it a good success!
The only reason people buy sub 4m 3 box cars is to show off, or to convince themselves that they have 'arrived' and upgrading from a hatchback. They have no redeeming factors. Awkward looks, compromised space, and invariably horrible petrol engines trying to create miracles from 1.2L. Such are the tax laws of India that car companies create these models only for India.
Old 19th January 2016, 17:32   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

VW releases a teaser of its upcoming Compact sedan.

volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 19:36   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Expected some part of the car in the teaser. This is a weird one. Judging by the the presence of foreign looking actors, guess that they want to convey that although it is Made for India, it is designed in Germany?

Edit: IAB says the name will be revealed tomorrow. The video seems to indicate a name starting with B. Wonder if it is 'Bora' and Not Ameo'

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th January 2016 at 19:40.
Old 19th January 2016, 21:10   #112
BHPian

They should have joined the whole 'Make in India' bandwagon in their ads by keeping it with the trend of the current times.

A potent diesel engine, looks, six airbags, etc hasn't really helped the Aspire's sales but I hope VW, which seems to be last to the Indian CS arena have upped their game with this car and not simply pulled off another 'me too' kind of piss poor, underdone vehicle like the Cross Polo which is bare-bones compared to the rivals. If they have addressed the shortcomings of the Polo by increasing the rear leg room, the trunk space and improvements to the petrol engine, all of which seems highly unlikely but if they pull if off then as someone who is waiting for the Baleno I will not hesitate to cancel the booking and go for the Polo CS.
Old 19th January 2016, 22:02   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Edit: IAB says the name will be revealed tomorrow. The video seems to indicate a name starting with B. Wonder if it is 'Bora' and Not Ameo'
Now there is one more name added to the speculation- could be called VW Breeze!

http://gaadiwaadi.com/volkswagen-bre...-sedan-172150/
Old 20th January 2016, 03:50   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
As per what I can see, the Polo's length is 3972mm. The compact sedan definition is a sedan under 4000mm, thus its not possible that the Polo would appear like a compact sedan with a mere 1 inch boot. From what I see the boot is stubby but I'm sure a few inches from the front has been shaven (about 4 inches lets say?). Add about 5 inches to the rear end of the Polo, tweak the C pillar cleverly to appear more flowing and gradual and there we go. I'm sure the boot capacity would've gone up about 50 litres or so (almost like Aspire) but not more than that.

In my view, its a waste of time. The only proportional compact sedan in the market today is the Xcent, with enough practical cabin space (almost on par with Elite i20) and a 407 litre segment topping boot-space. The only way the VW CS can make some sales is if its cheaper than Polo (obviously Polo looks better and hence should be a notch above), and if it has better engines than that wheezy 3-pot petrol. This will be their 2nd grand mistake after the Polo Cross. They should've just enjoyed the success of Tsi & TDi and called it a day. If they wanted to create an all-new segment they should've just brought the Up! here (entry-small-hatch-luxury-segment, uh?).

I'm actually waiting to see what VW has done with the compact sedan. Like mentioned above, if the polo is already close to 4m, then how could they squeeze in the boot without tampering with the wheelbase? And I'm assuming that in order to enjoy cost savings they would keep everything same as the polo until the B pillar.
And secondly, the current gen polo and vento should be replaced with new gen cars in 2017, so what would they do with this car? A little late if you ask me, but I hope VW has done their homework.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 14:35   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The polo is already close to 4m, then how could they squeeze in the boot without tampering with the wheelbase? And I'm assuming that in order to enjoy cost savings they would keep everything same as the polo until the B pillar.
Yeah, these don't add up. If the sedan is the same up to the B-Pillar, then they really can't add a boot, no two ways about that. There simply isn't enough length to play with.

I suspect they've redone and shortened the front end significantly (note that spy pics did cover the front too) so that unlike the other compact sedans, this one won't seem like it is a Polo with a boot job. They might have pulled off a huge win if the car is perceived by the average customer as all new while still sharing enough mechanical bits with the Polo to keep the costs low.

The Polo converted to have a boot sounds bad. On the other hand, a bespoke compact sedan for India sounds excellent! VW have enough engine options to make it good value too.
Old 20th January 2016, 15:47   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
The only reason people buy sub 4m 3 box cars is to show off, or to convince themselves that they have 'arrived' and upgrading from a hatchback. They have no redeeming factors. Awkward looks, compromised space, and invariably horrible petrol engines trying to create miracles from 1.2L. Such are the tax laws of India that car companies create these models only for India.
You cannot be more Wrong.

You say Awkward looks, I think Amaze looks much better than Brio. Though looks are subjective.

You say compromised space, then i think you don't know the boot space in Xcent is 407 litres and Amaze at 400 Litres, can pack a lot of stuff a hatchback can not even dream of.

You say horrible petrol engines, well i don't think you have driven iVtec or 1.2 Kappa on the Amaze/Xcent ever.

Stil not convinced ?

Then i suggest you take a back to back ride in Brio/Amaze, Swift/Dzire, Grand/Xcent and notice the better ride quality and overall dynamics in case of the sedan, when compared to the hatchback sibling.

Last edited by DCEite : 20th January 2016 at 15:48.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 16:21   #117
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
You say Awkward looks, I think Amaze looks much better than Brio. Though looks are subjective.
To be clear, I am comparing these 4m sedans with premium hatchbacks under 4m. You cannot compare an Amaze with a Brio, you need to compare it with a Jazz or i20 in the similar price range. The 'premium' hatchbacks look better.

Quote:
You say compromised space, then i think you don't know the boot space in Xcent is 407 litres and Amaze at 400 Litres, can pack a lot of stuff a hatchback can not even dream of.
The Amaze has less space than a Jazz. The shape curves downwards to accomodate the sedan style boot, while this space is used in the cabin in the Jazz. That's why I wrote 'compromised'.

Quote:
You say horrible petrol engines, well i don't think you have driven iVtec or 1.2 Kappa on the Amaze/Xcent ever.
I have driven both those engines. They don't have enough power. The VTEC needs to be revved hard to perform since the power and torque come in at high rpm and 1.2 Kappa has decent response at low rpms but no top end. The Hyundai also consumes a lot of fuel, I have an i10 Auto as my second car and it struggles to hit 8 km/lit. It's all relative I guess; if you are coming from an Alto this seems like a big step but not if you are used to 1.5 Lit+ petrols or diesels

Quote:
Stil not convinced ?

Then i suggest you take a back to back ride in Brio/Amaze, Swift/Dzire, Grand/Xcent and notice the better ride quality and overall dynamics in case of the sedan, when compared to the hatchback sibling.
All of the above are worse than the i20/ Jazz which is the correct comparison.

Last edited by mxh : 20th January 2016 at 16:23.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 18:06   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

And the name is...

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-czkes9wvaaal4gb.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 18:13   #119
BHPian

Awesome Polo , Ameo and then Vento .

To be honest i would never buy a sub 4m sedan. All the cars are ugly looking , every car(Amaze , Dzire most ugliest looking car, Xcent , Zest) looks ugly and after thought. Some one who just needs a sedan to appease their family or neighbors family would buy a sub 4m sedan. Someone who really likes car would buy Polo or i20 or Jazz or Baleno instead of sub 4m sedans.
Old 20th January 2016, 18:58   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And the name is...

So no surprises with the name, there was some last minute speculation. Well, the name is nice and has a poetic understated feel to it.

As per Volkswagen

Quote:
Derived from the Latin word ‘Amo’, meaning ‘I love’, the company says that the “Volkswagen Ameo is a truly special offering that combines the brand values of best-in-class safety features, build quality and a great driving experience. The design language is underlined by general bursts of emotion, conceptualized to move the body, mind and soul.”
Hope that last line in common man terms does not mean "lots of chrome and lines and cuts that will make you jump out of your skin in shock/surprise/awe"
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed