Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2015, 16:18   #1
BHPian

Hyundai & Renault to offer AMT in India

After Tata and Maruti which experienced huge success by offering AMT in Zest and Celerio, Hyundai and Renault are all set to offer AMT. Both companies will source the AMT system from ZF Sachs instead of Magnetti Marelli as in the case of Maruti and Tata.

The first of the Hyundai products to get the AMT gearbox is likely to be the Grand i10 and later, the next-gen Eon. Renault, on the other hand, is likely to show it first with its upcoming small car that is all set to be revealed on May 20.

It looks like most of the manufacturers are slowly inching towards offering AMT in entry level hatchback and compact sedans.

Source: ACI

Last edited by damager21 : 27th April 2015 at 16:20.
damager21 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 20:59   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai & Renault to offer AMT in India

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2015 at 14:16.
Abhi_abarth is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th April 2015, 21:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post

The first of the Hyundai products to get the AMT gearbox is likely to be the Grand i10 and later, the next-gen Eon.
Is Hyundai planning to equip AMT for its diesel variants as it's already offered in petrol ?
Old 28th April 2015, 07:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Is Hyundai planning to equip AMT for its diesel variants as it's already offered in petrol ?
The current AT in the petrol hyundais is a regular automatic 4 speed gearbox. This refers to AMT. I assume they are looking at cost and efficiency considerations. But it could be that they are looking at equipping the diesels with AMT especially for the grand i10 and xcent and leave the petrols with the regular AT

Will be a good decision to offer it in the petrol eon first. With the alto and nano coming with an AMT, Hyundai needs to get it in the eon as soon as possible.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 10:33   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Will be a good decision to offer it in the petrol eon first. With the alto and nano coming with an AMT, Hyundai needs to get it in the eon as soon as possible.
Spot-on.

They have to first tap the customer base who are going to buy the Alto K10 or the Nano rather than focussing currently on Grand i10 and its likes.

The volumes that speak are from the Alto / Nano segment and this is where the Eon is failing terribly. Hopefully the addition of AMT to boosts its sales. Along with AMT they should sort out the ground clearance issues.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 14:22   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai & Renault to offer AMT in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The current AT in the petrol hyundais is a regular automatic 4 speed gearbox. This refers to AMT. I assume they are looking at cost and efficiency considerations. But it could be that they are looking at equipping the diesels with AMT especially for the grand i10 and xcent and leave the petrols with the regular AT
I think you've hit the nail right on the head. Hyundai already has a 4-speed AT used in a wide variety of its cars. It wasn't developed specifically for India either, as the same gearbox is in use internationally. What about the diesels though? Hyundai probably didn't want to design a new gearbox from the ground up. This is the case with other manufacturers also, and the very reason we don't see diesel ATs in the mass market. Petrol ATs find many takers at the global level. On the other hand, small hatchbacks & sedans have little demand in diesel AT guise.

The AMT can be simply bolted on. Everyone was waiting for Maruti to test the waters and it emerged successful with the Celerio AMT.

For Renault, the AMT will not only be cheap, but also a superb differentiator for its small car. One absolutely needs a differentiator when competing with the big boys in the mass market. The Datsun Go had none; I insisted at the time of its launch that a diesel would've changed its fortunes.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 11:24   #7
BHPian

Does anyone know how the ZF Sachs AMT compares to the Magneti Marelli unit in terms of performance?

Could be a nice alternative option if it doesn't suffer from the slow shifting and jerkiness of the Magneti AMT box.
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 11:59   #8
BHPian

An automatic transmission on the Duster is what I am really looking forward to... that way even the city drives are not a pain the back side. Not sure if an AMT would be a feasible option for the Duster?
Old 29th April 2015, 22:26   #9
MSC
BHPian

Wow. A Hyundai Grand I10 with an AMT ? This definitely sounds interesting. Hyundai Grand I10 has been a run away success for Hyundai. Now with an AMT it will surely blast away the sales records. Also , if the Hyundai elite i20 too is launched with an AMT , it will be an interesting case as well.
There are press releases full of the new Renault. Is anyone aware of more details ? Is it just a revealing scheduled for next month or is it a full fledged launch ?
Old 30th April 2015, 09:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
An automatic transmission on the Duster is what I am really looking forward to... that way even the city drives are not a pain the back side. Not sure if an AMT would be a feasible option for the Duster?
The same engine has been mated to Renault's in house EDC (Double clutch) in the Megane. So if a Double clutch can be used, a AMT should be no issue.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...ne-1.5-dci-edc

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 21:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai's AMT tech is all ready and set to be rolled out, as per an exclusive by MotorOctane.

Once the Creta's launch is over and the compact SUV's initial hype is reduced, Hyundai will start producing the ZF-Sachs transmission-loaded cars.

The first cars to use this AMT technology will most likely be the Eon and the i10.

Quote:
Hyundai is ready with its AMT technology and it has already tested the i10 and even the Eon range. However, the Korean automaker has kept the AMT plans on hold at the moment as per our sources. Hyundai is focusing on Creta’s production as it doesn’t wish to have any waiting period for its new upcoming SUV.

Hyundai has been conducting customer clinics across the country, by giving the customers a chance to drive the Celerio AMT and taking their opinion on this. The demand for AMT technology is on the rise and Hyundai will not want to miss out on this as it wants to provide all the possible options for its car buyers.

Once the initial hype of the Creta is reduced or when Hyundai is ready to produce more cars, it will be making space for its AMT products too. Hyundai will using ZF AMT transmissions.
Motor Octane
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 22:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Does anyone know how the ZF Sachs AMT compares to the Magneti Marelli unit in terms of performance?

Could be a nice alternative option if it doesn't suffer from the slow shifting and jerkiness of the Magneti AMT box.
I think the jerkiness is an inherent property of AMT gearbox systems as they are basically built over an MT, albeit using a control system to operate the clutch. Having driven the Celerio AMT, I can confirm that it takes a bit of learning to derive the best out of a semi auto.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 13:20   #13
BHPian

Hyundai's AMT plan is put on hold as per latest reports. This was due to the fact that they are pretty busy meeting demands for the recently launched Creta model SUV. Reports says once the damn has been decreased to a lower level, they will resume the focus on AMT.
simkuriakose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 19:04   #14
BHPian

Hyundai & Renault to offer AMT in India

I'm wondering why these car manufacturers are not introducing CVTs instead of AMTs. at least they will have an edge in fuel efficiency and ease of driving. I believe it is cheaper as well. May be I'm wrong.
Old 26th July 2015, 01:12   #15
BHPian

CVT Transmission is costlier than AMTs. Take Nissan Micra for example. It has CVT transmission and pricing is quite high for a petrol automatic.

Other than price and a slight rubber band effect, CVTs are perfect IMHO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks