Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 20:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India

Range Rover are pushing their prices up north and the super luxury SUV market will get more entrants like the Bentley Bentayga and Rolls Royce project Cullinan, so this is just the beginning. RR and RR Sport are JLR's cash cows helping them retain perhaps the auto industry's best margins. The line up will soon be joined by the upcoming bigger/more luxurious Evoque based of the Jaguar aluminium SUV platform.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 21:36   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
Another pointless car in India.
Being an Indian company now, JLR should focus on further localizing their production to give us more reasonably priced vehicles.

This near 4 crore Range Rover is a parody of itself when the normal car is more than adequate at half the price.
i have always considered Tata a righteous company and this pricing just takes the cake on the contrary to my belief. They had a ridiculous CBU pricing for all JLR cars but after the CKD versions came they rightfully dropped the prices considerably. However the CBU pricing team at JLR India is milking the customers at the cost of creating an uber luxury image.
Instead if making the Indian market a profit haven they should focus on pricing it competivetly and for patriotic reasons keep a slimmer margin in India than other countries.
This probably is wishful thinking and bottom line numbers are now more important now to Tata than being righteous.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 00:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
i have always considered Tata a righteous company and this pricing just takes the cake on the contrary to my belief. They had a ridiculous CBU pricing for all JLR cars but after the CKD versions came they rightfully dropped the prices considerably. However the CBU pricing team at JLR India is milking the customers at the cost of creating an uber luxury image.
Instead if making the Indian market a profit haven they should focus on pricing it competivetly and for patriotic reasons keep a slimmer margin in India than other countries.
This probably is wishful thinking and bottom line numbers are now more important now to Tata than being righteous.
Sorry Sahil, I find absolutely nothing wrong in looking for bigger profits from consumers who can afford to buy a Jaguar or a Range Rover. They are doing very well for themselves being able to buy such cars and don't need Tata's largesse to acquire one.

If Tata Motors need to serve the Indian population on patriotic grounds then the best way to do it is get get their own brand cars spot on from day one. Indicas, Nanos, Sumos, i.e make them reliable, good quality, VFM etc.. I know they are working hard and getting there. The new Nano and upcoming Dolphin looks very promising.

The Jag and Land Rover range is at the premium end and the intended clientèle have that sort of disposable income. The priority for JLR in India must be to get their sales and (especially) service network functioning smoothly before targeting volumes. Their service network will take time to gain the expertise in handling these sorts of machines. It will backfire if they simply increase sales volumes by thousands and then be unable to service them to expected standards.

I understand the premium brands are really juicing the Indian consumers, but there seems to be no slowdown in their sales. People are lapping up anything with a premium badge irrespective of the value it provides.

As a manufacturer they wont find anything wrong in what they are doing as long as customers are lining up outside showrooms. China saw a similar phenomenon where the premium players milked the local demand and its still ongoing.

JLRs profit margins are crucial in Tata motors charting the future course for its own cars and the 66 thousand odd employees that work for them.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 09:20   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Obscenely priced without a doubt. But then, Range Rover won't be looking at selling more than a handful of these. Nothing more than a showroom trophy, this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The difference between this and other super luxury cars is that with the diesel, you have terrific range and go anywhere capability, no worries about scaping the underbelly or wading through a swamp.
With a V8 diesel & a hefty 2500+ kg kerb weight, you aren't looking at more than 3 - 4 kpl pal. Despite its larger fuel tank, there's no range advantage compared to an S-Class diesel.

And trust me, you won't take a 4 crore SUV offroading. I took a humble Freelander2 through some easy-peasy muck & slush. Next day, 'brake failure' warning lights popped up and the car had to visit the workshop for brake cleaning (5,000 bucks IIRC). For all its capability, we restrict it to normal roads only now.

God forbid, if you break something with the Autobiography while offroading, the bill will be astronomical.

Better that 4 crore cars stay on the road. If you want to offroad, buy something cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
I find it funny how they have launched the diesel as well when the car falls in such a price bracket. Should've only launched the petrol.
The diesel is more practical for India. Among other things, you'd have to go looking for high octane fuel for the petrol. On the other hand, the diesel runs just as well on regular grade diesel.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 09:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The diesel is more practical for India. Among other things, you'd have to go looking for high octane fuel for the petrol. On the other hand, the diesel runs just as well on regular grade diesel.
Isn't the minimum Petrol octane rating 91 in India? I just saw a road test, where they used octane 91 in the UK. Here's the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/land-rover/ra...st-specs1.html

I fill up my GL63 with normal petrol since I'm not aware of any fuel pumps that keep octane 97 in Gurgaon. Since I use it almost daily, its impractical to fill up from Delhi. I also checked with the dealer and they said that the engine is optimised to run on standard Indian fuel, but 97 is obviously better. So I assume the Range Rover's Supercharged V8 will run just as good, but I may be wrong
Shivjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 10:01   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Obscenely priced without a doubt. But then, Range Rover won't be looking at selling more than a handful of these. Nothing more than a showroom trophy, this.
It is a limited edition the world over I believe, so I'm guessing only a handful will make it here. But I don't expect them to sell without hefty discounts.

Quote:
Isn't the minimum Petrol octane rating 91 in India? I just saw a road test, where they used octane 91 in the UK. Here's the link:

I fill up my GL63 with normal petrol since I'm not aware of any fuel pumps that keep octane 97 in Gurgaon. Since I use it almost daily, its impractical to fill up from Delhi. I also checked with the dealer and they said that the engine is optimised to run on standard Indian fuel, but 97 is obviously better. So I assume the Range Rover's Supercharged V8 will run just as good, but I may be wrong
I believe the ratings are different in the Us, the UK and here. Though I may be wrong. A friend had a RR with the 5.0 supercharged engine and it was run purely on normal fuel for over 50k kms. I think its fine, but if you can find 97 do try it, and trust me you won't fill normal fuel again.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 11:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With a V8 diesel & a hefty 2500+ kg kerb weight, you aren't looking at more than 3 - 4 kpl pal. Despite its larger fuel tank, there's no range advantage compared to an S-Class diesel.

And trust me, you won't take a 4 crore SUV offroading. I took a humble Freelander2 through some easy-peasy muck & slush. Next day, 'brake failure' warning lights popped up and the car had to visit the workshop for brake cleaning (5,000 bucks IIRC). For all its capability, we restrict it to normal roads only now.

God forbid, if you break something with the Autobiography while offroading, the bill will be astronomical.

Better that 4 crore cars stay on the road. If you want to offroad, buy something cheaper.
The claimed fuel efficiency is around 9kpl, real world will be closer to 6 and considering the Q7 4.2 had something like 5kmpl, the full tank(89litres) range is around 550km, which is great for the diesel, petrol is rated at 6kmpl which means a real world economy of 2-3 kmpl and a tank range below 300km. The advantage with the diesel is that you wont have to stop at unreliable highway pumps. A Bombay-Goa trip without a fuelling stop should be great, plus the added advantage of a high seating position compared to a full size luxury sedan.

The offroading part depends on the owner, I have no idea about the reliability of the brand, but its not bullet proof like say a Landcruiser. It should be able to get you out of a flooded street better than a low slung sedan, swamps being what our roads become when it rains heavily.
Old 1st May 2015, 11:18   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Sorry Sahil, I find absolutely nothing wrong in looking for bigger profits from consumers who can afford to buy a Jaguar or a Range Rover. They are doing very well for themselves being able to buy such cars and don't need Tata's largesse to acquire one.
You do have valid points and I agree with most. However, I yet feel keeping such high prices and milking customers because you don't have a strong dealer network is the correct strategy. Milking customers in your home country via a foreign brand takes away from Tata's core values, at least the Tata is look up to is not just about the bottom line.
Each to their own I guess
Quote:

An AMG engine will work at its optimal only with 97 octane. You have paid for 550hp, only way to utilise each and everyone is to make it sip a high grade fuel. The engine will work fine on regular fuel however in a slightly detuned state by not churning out all its might.
My RS5 has almost never sipped anything but 97 octane.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 17:00   #24
BHPian

Pics: Land Rover Range Rover in Mumbai

Couldn't find a thread dedicated to Land Rover Range Rover sightings in Mumbai and hence created a new one. If there is one already, please merge this with the respective one.

Recently spotted a Range Rover Autobiography LWB in Mumbai near Growells Mall at Kandivali

This was Autobiography LWB for sure. LWB Autobiography is available in multiple engine options, both within Petrol and Diesel space. Was not able to read the engine type/capacity due to traffic.

The car is really huge in size
Attached Thumbnails
Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India-20190527_181534_hdr.jpg  

Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India-20190527_181625_hdr.jpg  

sunilch is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks