Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 10:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India

Land Rover has officially launched the Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition in India at Rs. 3.75 Crore for the diesel variant. The petrol variant costs a princely Rs. 3.85 Crore (both prices ex-showroom Delhi).

The Autobiography Black edition is based on the extended wheelbase Range Rover and gets around 180 mm of added legroom over the standard model. The feature list includes a custom finish to the front grille, 7-spoke 21-inch or 22-inch alloy wheels, chrome garnish on the tail-gate and custom ‘signature’ tail lights.

The interior features leather upholstery that is available in multiple colour combinations, the front seats get massagers, while the driver gets an 18-way adjustable power seat. The two rear seats can be reclined at a sharper angle than the standard model, get a lumbar massager, calf-rests and 10.2-inch infotainment screens. Passengers at the back also get power sun blinds, a chiller and electrically deploying, leather surfaced tables with USB ports.

The diesel variant used a 4.4L, SDV8 engine that makes 335 BHP @ 3,500 rpm and 740 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,250 rpm. The petrol uses a 5.5L, supercharged V8 engine that makes 503 BHP @ 6,000-6,500 rpm and 625 Nm of torque @ 2,500-5,500 rpm. Both variants channel power to all four wheels through an 8-speed automatic gearbox.

Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India-1.jpg

Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India-2.jpg

Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India-3.jpg

Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India-5.jpg

Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India-4.jpg
Tushar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 10:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India

Yes the car looks great, yes the car can handle bad roads while keeping its occupants in luxury. Yes it is a Range Rover, and it is quick. But 3.8 crores???

That means it will be in the high 4 crores on road. This is absolutely nuts

Please give me a Rolls Royce Ghost instead. Or a Bentley Flying Spur.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 10:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Insanely expensive! Also to add JLR's after sale service issues, that many TBHP'ians have also endured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
Please give me a Rolls Royce Ghost instead. Or a Bentley Flying Spur.
Doesnt that come in the 6 crore bracket? If they are priced similar, I would go for a RR any day.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 10:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the prices are not obscene for the intended clientele, the SUV craze is part of every price segment today and Range Rover practically invented the luxury offroader segment. The difference between this and other super luxury cars is that with the diesel, you have terrific range and go anywhere capability, no worries about scaping the underbelly or wading through a swamp.

This is a super luxury trimline with no compromises for practicality, when asked by a journalist whether JLR were considering a 7 seater LWB, the response was classic," This Range Rover long wheel base, its absolutely top-of-the-line, no more than two seats, if you want more seats, you should look at some of the other vehicles in our range".
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 11:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

I shudder to think if some with 4 crores short has to then to live with this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-service.html

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 11:35   #6
Mtv
BHPian

Another pointless car in India.

For about the same money one can buy the new Mercedes Maybach S600 V12.

Being an Indian company now, JLR should focus on further localizing their production to give us more reasonably priced vehicles.

This near 4 crore Range Rover is a parody of itself when the normal car is more than adequate at half the price.

Last edited by Mtv : 30th April 2015 at 11:38.
Mtv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 11:42   #7
BHPian

4cr + for a Rangie? No thanks. I'll take an S500 and live with some peace of mind (and have some left over for a 911 too). Don't get me wrong, I love Range Rovers. In fact, they're some of my favorite vehicles, but I'll never pay short of $700,000 for one. That's just shocking.
Stiggy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 15:30   #8
BHPian

I find it funny how they have launched the diesel as well when the car falls in such a price bracket. Should've only launched the petrol.
Old 30th April 2015, 15:58   #9
Team-BHP Support

But aren't there many Imports since October 2014 already ?

https://www.zauba.com/import-range-r...b-hs-code.html
Attached Thumbnails
Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black edition launched in India-1111.jpg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th April 2015 at 16:00.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 16:22   #10
BHPian

These prices are just too astronomical.

The Range Rover is like a Jack of all trades. Its not as comfortable as an S Class. Its road presence is not even close to something like a Bentley or a Rolls, and its not as fun to drive as any sports car. I doubt, even the richest of the rich wouldn't take a car costing 4 crores off road.

I'd simply buy an S Class, and buy a GL class for off roading. With the ~1.25 crore left, I will buy an M5. Just imagine having three different cars that are so amazing as opposed to one which can't do any of the things the three can do properly.
prakhar1998 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 17:23   #11
BHPian

How does Land Rover decide its pricing?

3.85 Cr is about $610,00.

But the Range Rover Autubiography Black Retails in the US at $185,000

http://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles...suv/index.html

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just direclty import one?

Even after all the customs and taxes I think it shouldn't be 230% more than the US price!
Old 30th April 2015, 17:35   #12
BHPian

Shocking as the price may appear to be, it makes sense considering it's extremely niche target audience. What if you own a Rolls or a Bentley? And an Italia or a Huracan. And now want to add an SUV to your exotic garage. Would you want a "Regular" Landie? Nope, the more expensive it is, the more exclusive it will be. And JLR will make more profit on each of these editions than it probably does by selling 10 regular ones.
Astleviz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 18:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Didnt Mika buy the LWB version for 3.5ish ex-shworoom. Considering this would be a edition series, could add another 25-30L to the price.

Regarding the targeted clientale, this would ideally for someone who already would have a fleet of RR, S-classes and the best of low slung fast Italians. So the price would be just a number. Their primary question would be - is there any other better luxury SUV available. if not lets get this.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 20:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Didnt Mika buy the LWB version for 3.5ish ex-shworoom. Considering this would be a edition series, could add another 25-30L to the price.
He sure did! Range rover LWB Autobiography at claimed price of 3.75 crore, so surely black edition will be 4 cr+ on road. Only apparent USP is being one of the most luxurious SUV.

Senna4Ever is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 20:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Have seen it in person. That car is HUGE! It took an absolute age to overtake me, not because it was slow or anything, but it was so damn long!

Also I wonder how many takers this will get! At 4 odd crores, I'd be jolly happy with an M3 + GL350 + S-Klasse. Not to mention the money that one would save can possibly buy another pair of decently expensive cars. But as many people pointed out, price is just a number for the target clientele. I pray they get treated better than our fellow mad monkey. That's all.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks