Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2006, 17:26   #31
BHPian

Mahindra is on the run trying to lead

Mahindra has to do something as most of their vehicles have not sold in numbers including the Bolero. Now they have the real vehicle - the SCORPIO that looks like a jeep, has comfort of a car and luxury which speaks a lot!!

So they have to keep gettnig more and more upgrades to keep them in the market and in news and about talks that the vehicle is really doing good. I appreciate the efforts taken to produce such a vehicle. I remember the good old days of mahindra, when jeeps were made by them, would rattle every part of your body, today the Scorpio re-defines all that old stories.

Tata will have a competition in hand surely. Scorpio is doing good in those lines!!
Old 13th September 2006, 18:11   #32
BHPian

140+ Bhp that will be overkill for SCORPIO. Today's newspaper reported that a scorpio ( new one black colour) killed a boy and his uncle who were on scooter. Scorpio driver could'nt control the car and just slamed into them. now we're talking about 140 BHP SCORPIO, i think Mahindra have to work on new one very hard.
Old 5th December 2006, 19:25   #33
BHPian

Sorry I didnt know that a thread like this existed and had opened a new thread. So this is what I have to ask.

Hey all you resourcefull guys like SUV and also the team bhp pros, while we are talking about the all new Safari Dicor 2.2 L and we all know that it is going to make its worldwide debut in Italy in couple of days. I would like to know when is the all new scorpio going to be launched, we all know that they have already decided to launch it in the US in April and if that is so it is imperative for them to launch this new vehicle in India so that they can iron out any problems.

So all you resourcefull guys can you help us out on this one.

Ciao
Old 5th December 2006, 21:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
we all know that they have already decided to launch it in the US in April and if that is so it is imperative for them to launch this new vehicle in India so that they can iron out any problems.
The launch in US is mostly going to be a petrol engine[maybe with some help from nissan],the US launch and Indian launch thus do not necessarily have to be co-related.

Moreover right now mahindra is really busy with the logan launch[possibly variants as well].
Old 5th December 2006, 22:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
Scorpio driver could'nt control the car and just slamed into them. now we're talking about 140 BHP SCORPIO, i think Mahindra have to work on new one very hard.
What does horsepower have to do with car control. I agree that the Scorpio has handling issues. It all depends on how you drive, if you know your car is powerful, and you cannot control it, just dont drive it fast!
Old 5th December 2006, 22:54   #36
BHPian

Last saturday, i was in mahindra service centre to subscribe for extended warranty. I had an informal chat with the service manager, he told me that we can expect the 2.2 litre around the end of january.

On the same note, the new user manual which comes now has mention about ABS. So we can expect that in the upcoming model.
Old 5th December 2006, 23:07   #37
BANNED

Scorpio does not have that driving confidence which even some smal cars possess. Instead of putting in more power, they should concentrate on the handling of that vehicle!

The car can be pushed easily to 3 figure speeds. But, stopping it and controlling it is not easy.

When a car has some good power waiting to be unleashed, you can't expect one to be driving without stepping on it. It will just happen.

A vehicle should only be made fast if that can be controlled too.
Old 5th December 2006, 23:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Scorpio does not have that driving confidence which even some smal cars possess. Instead of putting in more power, they should concentrate on the handling of that vehicle!

The car can be pushed easily to 3 figure speeds. But, stopping it and controlling it is not easy.

When a car has some good power waiting to be unleashed, you can't expect one to be driving without stepping on it. It will just happen.

A vehicle should only be made fast if that can be controlled too.
It has a higher centre of gravity than a small car so like all other similar vehicles will display the traits you have mentioned. If you want road hugging type drive then stick to cars with a lower centre of gravity.

Even some of the big boys like Land Rover have civil cases pending against them in US courts where cars have flipped etc due to the stupidity of the drivers trying to take corners etc at very high speeds.
Old 6th December 2006, 00:04   #39
BANNED

I am speaking about the driving confidence which Scorpio lacks.
Not just handling bro. Ofcourse, maybe the centre of gravity has a role to play in it too.

But, I think this problem can be sorted out if Mahindra wants to. Ain't it?
Old 6th December 2006, 00:27   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I am speaking about the driving confidence which Scorpio lacks.
Not just handling bro. Ofcourse, maybe the centre of gravity has a role to play in it too.
Do you realise Sideways won the Raid-de-Himalaya on a stock Scorpio? How do you explain it if scorpio was so bad in handling, that too on such dangerous terrain?
Old 6th December 2006, 00:38   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do you realise Sideways won the Raid-de-Himalaya on a stock Scorpio? How do you explain it if scorpio was so bad in handling, that too on such dangerous terrain?

Ouchh!! Ouchh!! Is there anyway I can eat my words!!!

Jokes apart, Yes, I've read that earlier. And was really amazed to see that. A stock Scorpio??? Couldn't agree for days. Then some techies explained the Scorpio behaves better off road and all it's problems are on road.

All my experiences with Scorpio was on-road and never ever went off-road with it. Not even in lose gravel!! My latest experience was day before yesterday. A 100kms stretch to TVM and back. I was afraid to go above 80 and I always braked very much earlier than what I would in my Qualis.

Maybe it's got something to do with my driving style and habits, I can't just feel comfortable with the way Scorpio rides!
Old 6th December 2006, 01:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
FYI Sideways himself called his Scorpio the bouncing ball. The fact that he won is a reflection of his driving skills and it does not necessarily mean that it was a great handler. At average speeds of 40kmph on such trecherous terrain, its not the handling ability that counts but the ability to take punishment and keep going.

However, let us not drag poor Farhaan into this arguement. The point is that the vehicle IS a bad handler at high speeds - this is not heresy but a fact that is well documented at various places. It does not mean that it is a BAD vehicle, but handling is definitely not one of its strengths.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th December 2006 at 01:09.
Old 6th December 2006, 02:39   #43
BHPian

I agree scorpio is good on less than ideal surfaces and on ghats as the vehicle makes up for all the additional braking with its power and torque,

they should really concentrate on its handling and braking dynamics,but then they may have.........

But then again the present one was supposed to have been done by lotus!!!and the improvement is not dramatic,i hope and pray cause they have(atleast in my case)made me buy other products because of the above mentioned and made me sell my scorpio BECAUSE of the above said(iam lucky to be alive)in what was a routine menuver in my daily routine.....
Old 6th December 2006, 08:55   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
FYI Sideways himself called his Scorpio the bouncing ball. The fact that he won is a reflection of his driving skills and it does not necessarily mean that it was a great handler. At average speeds of 40kmph on such trecherous terrain, its not the handling ability that counts but the ability to take punishment and keep going.
Nobody is claiming it is a terrific handler, no budget SUV is known for great handling. My comment was directed to the statement of lack of driver confidence, if it was that bad, why would somebody take it to Raid-de-Himalaya? Even a Maestro can't create master pieces with defective tools.

After my comment I see people are qualifying the statement as they should have in the first place. Lack of confidence at high speeds, that I can understand. I have zero confidence in Baleno as a off-roader, now that's a qualified statement.
Old 6th December 2006, 09:36   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr fate View Post
they should really concentrate on its handling and braking dynamics,but then they may have.........

But then again the present one was supposed to have been done by lotus!!!and the improvement is not dramatic
It seems that the unequal weight distribution (top-heavy) nature of the car is the prime reason for bad handling inspite of the spruced up suspension.

All aluminium 2.2L block is believed to weigh less than the current one by 70 kgs (more than 20% reduction in weight) , it should hopefully solve the handling issues to a major extent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks