Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:43   #16
BHPian

re: Volvo to launch 300 BHP S60 T6 petrol in July 2015 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 42 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^Isn't this the Drive-E engine which has a supercharger and a turbocharger ? 300 HP from a 2L is something !

Remember reading that Volvo plan on making Hybrid variants of this engine which can replace V8's !!
Yes sir. That is exactly the engine. 306 bhp to be precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
This just killed all my excitement for the car. Even if they optimize the traction control and all for the FWD. It will just not match an AWD or a RWD.
Second that. The AWD would have been more fun. Although apparently, because of the lighter engine and transmission, 0 -100 times have been reduced by a tenth of a second. That, however, is purely academic.

Abroad, the old 3L is being sold alongside this in AWD form.
In future, I guess the hybrid versions that fiat_tarun mentioned will get the AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
Whats even more exciting than the launch is that Volvo is bringing in the T6 in favourite 'Rebel Blue' colour of Polestar fame!! I assumed this colour was reserved for Polestar models. R-Design package maybe?
I was surprised too. Hope these cars are here for sale and not just homologation/display. That colour is quite rare and comes at a premium.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 00:52   #17
BHPian

Re: Volvo to launch 300 BHP S60 T6 petrol in July 2015 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 42 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post

Abroad, the old 3L is being sold alongside this in AWD form.
In future, I guess the hybrid versions that fiat_tarun mentioned will get the AWD.
I believe that in the modular architecture that Volvo is following for future cars, the rear wheels will be electrically driven while the front wheels will be ICE driven.
That will be the AWD tech. of the future Volvos I think.
Old 4th July 2015, 10:31   #18
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volvo to launch 300 BHP S60 T6 petrol in July 2015 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 42 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I was a great fan of this car (earlier T6) but this seems to have lost the AWD & is surprisingly a FWD (i had to double check before posting) WHY ?
I believe the AWD transmission would add about 10L to the Indian price. Volvo wants to break into a market dominated by Mercedes, Audi, BMW and to a lesser extent Jaguar. Cars in this category are usually driven (I would be more correct in saying chauffeured) in urban cities (not so much on expressways) so AWD wont be missed by much of it's target audience. They might release an AWD model if the FWD clicks and gets them enough traction (pun intended).

Last edited by navin : 4th July 2015 at 10:35.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 11:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I believe the AWD transmission would add about 10L to the Indian price. Volvo wants to break into a market dominated by Mercedes, Audi, BMW and to a lesser extent Jaguar. Cars in this category are usually driven (I would be more correct in saying chauffeured) in urban cities (not so much on expressways) so AWD wont be missed by much of it's target audience. They might release an AWD model if the FWD clicks and gets them enough traction (pun intended).
I agree, but still the FWD is not digestible as considering Volvo had launched the S60 T6 AWD in CBU form about 4 years back @ 34L (ex-showroom)
Old 4th July 2015, 11:11   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree, but still the FWD is not digestible as considering Volvo had launched the S60 T6 AWD in CBU form about 4 years back @ 34L (ex-showroom)
Compared to prices 4 years ago the prices of Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Jaguar are also "not digestible".

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-52-lakhs.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-bmw-audi.html

In the end these manufacturers will charge what the market can bear. I know some who will replace their Mercedes with another Mercedes and given the recent increases in prices has maybe only delayed a purchase but not deterred a purchase.

More the half the "brand" buyers are first generation money. There are certain sectors of the Indian economy which have done exceedingly well (Real Estate, IT, Bollywood, Private Banking, Dalal Street, etc and also some service sectors like lawyers, doctors, etc..) and these people are more likely to "treat themselves" to one of these brands (price is a secondary concern here).

Last edited by navin : 4th July 2015 at 11:15.
navin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 17:05   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

All's well and fine on paper, guys. But don't forget that the S60 is a CBU. Hence, the road taxes are higher for individual owners (no difference to company owners). On the road price in Mumbai is close to 55 lakhs.

It's going to be the same showroom trophy it always was.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 17:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All's well and fine on paper, guys. But don't forget that the S60 is a CBU. Hence, the road taxes are higher for individual owners (no difference to company owners). On the road price in Mumbai is close to 55 lakhs.

It's going to be the same showroom trophy it always was.
GTO, Need your inputs on this: With the ex-showroom of Merc C-Class touching 52L (for a 180 BHP Petrol or 170 BHP Diesel), do you think the 300 BHP @ 55L is a good deal? (Is it priced close the the S4, but significantly less?). The BMW top-end is 51L (before discounts) - The mercs have no discount AFAIK in Bangalore

If you remove the price factor, you think the FWD + 300 BHP should be a fun car? (I remember seeing your posts earlier, that you liked this (in AWD) better than Evo X )

I was looking forward to this car, but as you pointed out it is priced beyond reasonable levels.

Thanks!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 15:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo to launch 300 BHP S60 T6 petrol in July 2015 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 42 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1436264046.708260.jpg

Saw this ad put up by Volvo, well its a good thing they launched the T6 but why are they highlighting the fact thats a FWD, should have skipped it mentioning in the ad as it isnt a selling point or a usp. Bad marketing example.
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 23:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1389905
why are they highlighting the fact thats a FWD, should have skipped it mentioning in the ad as it isnt a selling point or a usp. Bad marketing example.
We can also call it honesty and transparency (not sure if this was the actual intent though) considering the previous model got AWD as standard in the T6.
Its much better than others who market parking sensors in a 1 crore car. Graphics on a 8 lakh car. The list is endless.
dipen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 23:55   #25
BHPian

Ethical Marketing!

Quote:
Attachment 1389905

Saw this ad put up by Volvo, well its a good thing they launched the T6 but why are they highlighting the fact thats a FWD, should have skipped it mentioning in the ad as it isnt a selling point or a usp. Bad marketing example.
While it might be bad marketing sense. I respect Volvo for putting it there. About time all companies market their products as is and not mislead customers with their ads.
jalsa777 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 00:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
While it might be bad marketing sense. I respect Volvo for putting it there. About time all companies market their products as is and not mislead customers with their ads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
We can also call it honesty and transparency (not sure if this was the actual intent though) considering the previous model got AWD as standard in the T6.
Its much better than others who market parking sensors in a 1 crore car. Graphics on a 8 lakh car. The list is endless.
Quote:
Attachment 1389905

As someone who owns a Volvo and also from the feedback I have from other fellow Volvo owners, I believe Volvo does not do aggressive sales marketing. From what I know, they wont bother you by calling you every other day even if you have been to their showroom and test drove a car. I think the strategy is to let the product speak for itself.
Old 8th July 2015, 06:28   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
As someone who owns a Volvo and also from the feedback I have from other fellow Volvo owners, I believe Volvo does not do aggressive sales marketing. From what I know, they wont bother you by calling you every other day even if you have been to their showroom and test drove a car. I think the strategy is to let the product speak for itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
^ Guys, honesty and everything is OK but a brand which is not doing well should attract customers first to their showroom and think about other things later. Its about creating inquisitiveness. Pointing out its weakness i.e. FWD as if its a feature its definitely an LOL moment (Yes coz the previous T6 was an AWD & now its not)

Anyway all the best to VOLVO

Last edited by karan561 : 8th July 2015 at 06:35.
Old 8th July 2015, 10:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
^ Guys, honesty and everything is OK but a brand which is not doing well should attract customers first to their showroom and think about other things later. Its about creating inquisitiveness. Pointing out its weakness i.e. FWD as if its a feature its definitely an LOL moment (Yes coz the previous T6 was an AWD & now its not)

Anyway all the best to VOLVO

Whatever the marketing techniques might be, its something that deserves respect, putting "FWD" right up there in the banner itself. I think when Volvo does that it should be taken as plain innocence rather than stupidity. That's obvious, from their cars which are fully loaded with safety kit much ahead of the competition, that the maker is genuinely keen on delivering what they can rather than use pure marketing techniques to attract people into buying their cars. Putting a non selling point right in the banner shows the confidence of the maker in their product. Very few makers have the b**ls to do that.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 12:21   #29
BHPian

Volvo has earned a new fan today.
Old 10th July 2015, 13:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1389905

..good thing they launched the T6 but why are they highlighting the fact thats a FWD, should have skipped it mentioning in the ad as it isnt a selling point or a usp. Bad marketing example.
Guys, look what happened! After all the appreciation for honesty and straightforward marketing. and yet

Before and after:

Volvo to launch 300 BHP S60 T6 petrol in July 2015 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 42 lakhs-11201877_10155978711880556_6830356433528769876_n.jpg

Both pictures from Volvo Auto India FB page.
Senna4Ever is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks