Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2015, 12:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Delhi government asks dealerships to set up PUC centres

Vehicular pollution is believed to be one of the reasons that the air pollution levels in Delhi is on the rise. To curb vehicular pollution, the National Green Tribunal decided to band all vehicles over 15 years of age and all diesel vehicles over 10 years of age in the city. Now the Delhi government has also decided to take steps in an attempt to bring down pollution levels.

The government believes that Delhi does not have sufficient Pollution Under Control (PUC) centres. So it has ordered all car and motorbike dealers in the city to set up pollution measuring facilities at their workshops. The workshops will have the authority to issue PUC certificates. The step enable customers to get their vehicles checked whenever they go visit the workshops to get them service.

Dealers of battery- operated e-rickshaws have been exempted from this order as they cause almost no pollution.

Source: ET Auto
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 13:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Delhi government asks dealerships to set up PUC centres

First off, I would love to know as to what exactly the PUC does? How does it reduce pollution?

In the last three cars I have owned not once I have been ever denied a PUC certificate and even if there was an issue with the car, what remedy can PUC give? Most of these attendants will give you a certificate even without a test if you pay a few bucks 'extra'.

We are already driving pollution certified cars confirming to Euro/Bharat standards. PUC business is waste of time and money for the crores of motorists out there.

I get my car serviced at company owned center (HMP) - for some reason they do PUC only for petrol cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The government believes that Delhi does not have sufficient Pollution Under Control (PUC) centres. So it has ordered all car and motorbike dealers in the city to set up pollution measuring facilities at their workshops...
aditya101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 14:00   #3
BHPian

The question is how is it going to help opening more PUC centers. PUC centers only certify whether a vehicle is under the required limits or not.
Unless PUC certificates are checked how will someone determine if a vehicle is within the permissible limits or not.

What percentage of non-commercial vehicles which are less than 15 years old go over the permissible limits normally in a year? I have personally not seen anyone reporting it. IMO this will just end up being a money spinner for the agencies.
Old 13th May 2015, 14:45   #4
BHPian

Tell me this is a joke Please!!!

So, dealerships set up PUC centers. Then what? They call each customer to come and take PUC checks just like service reminders??

Now, what is the next action if the vehicle's pollution is not under control?
  • Should the dealership inform the RTO about this and initiate a not-fit certificate? - They would NEVER do that
  • Should they "work" on the car and "make" it's pollution under control? - Some evil dealerships might do this to some naive customers to earn some quick bucks
  • Should they issue the customary PUC certificate valid for the next 6 months - with / without checking - no matter what the readings are? - Will be the majority case very similar to what the normal PUC centers do.
How is this going to benefit the government and how is it actually going to curb pollution? Only Delhi Govt can answer. If at all it benefits someone, it will be the dealership to make some easy and quick money. Some customers at least will go to the "trusted" PUC centers pay more and get the certificate. Utter humbug idea, I say.
Old 13th May 2015, 14:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Tell me this is a joke Please!!!
Should they issue the customary PUC certificate valid for the next 6 months - with / without checking - no matter what the readings are? -
IMO the validity should be extended for 3 years or so based on when it was manufactured. Some states as I understand has a validity of only 3 months. I hope Delhi will not bring it down to 1 month
Prash22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 15:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash22 View Post
IMO the validity should be extended for 3 years or so based on when it was manufactured. Some states as I understand has a validity of only 3 months. I hope Delhi will not bring it down to 1 month
Does it vary from state to state. What non-sense? Never knew this. What all methods to extract money from common man.
Old 13th May 2015, 15:43   #7
MSC
BHPian

This is nothing but a useless exercise. Every one knows how a PUC is issued at currently operating PUC centers.
The only one who will be benefitted is the Dealer . Already these dealers have exorbitant prices for minor repairs. They will intentionally print a faulty report of a vehicle and again overcharge the car owner in the name of making adjustments. The poor car owner can not do anything as he has no option but to accept the demands and increased bill of A.S.S. so that the car passes and gets the coveted PUC .

Last edited by MSC : 13th May 2015 at 15:45.
Old 13th May 2015, 16:00   #8
BANNED

I wish they do in Ulta Pradesh. Getting a PUC in Kanpur is nearly impossible, almost no test centres! I have not been able to get one for my Brio, and for the Civic i get it everytime I go to Delhi, mostly at Tundla.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 14:02   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I'd welcome such a move in Mumbai. Right now, I have to send my car for the scheduled services & PUC check-up separately. Would love to club them together in a single visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Most of these attendants will give you a certificate even without a test if you pay a few bucks 'extra'.
That's a different problem. I know many strict PUC centers which adhere to the rule book. If we go by your argument, we should shut schools down because one can get fake marksheets?!! Or get rid of hospitals because of a few corrupt doctors?!

The fact that there is a flaw in the system doesn't mean we do away with it entirely. There is scope for improvement.

Quote:
We are already driving pollution certified cars confirming to Euro/Bharat standards.
Euro standards were introduced in the late nineties. There are many cars on our roads built before that. Even if we include cars that are 10 years old, there are several that have run high miles, are improperly maintained and pollute excessively.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 10:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Untill last year, my car used to get serviced at Vitesse, Prabhadevi (Mumbai) and they had their own PUC machine and also issued there certificates within the service centre itself. At that time I assumed that all service centres had this facility. Now, that I have bought a car from another brand, do I realize how good and well-equipped Vitesse actually was and how crappy all the other service centres are!

Most Viewed