Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:58   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Cool down guys!!

I own both the cars (Baleno & S-Cross) from Nexa stable and SX4. My uncle has Ciaz & Swift. I have driven all these cars extensively. Coming to the plastic quality, Baleno & S-Cross are way better than other Maruti cars. Ciaz has the best interior quality out of all the cars sold in Maruti showroom.

Coming to Nexa line up of cars,

1. Baleno : Pass
It is the largest hatch from Maruti and has much more features than swift.

2. S-Cross : Pass
S-Cross is the most expensive Maruti car loaded with all features. Deserved to be sold in Nexa.

3. Ignis : Pass
It is supposed to be better than other Maruti cars in same price range. Ignis is a different segment though.

Let's not compare cars from different segment and argue which should be in Nexa. Baleno as a premium hatchback, S-Cross as a premium cross over and Ignis as a new segment premium car from Maruti will be sold in Nexa showrooms. I agree premium tag for these cars can't be justified if compared with other brands.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:42   #152
Senior - BHPian

Even the genius whose brain-wave the 'Nexa' was, would not have dreamt of customers debating so much over which car should be sold in which showroom, and why!

Can we please keep this thread to discussing the Ignis, and keep the Nexa debates to: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...mium-cars.html ?

The Ignis is selling well here in Japan and I feel it is a really striking design, especially in bright colours. I believe it is going to be another best-seller from MSIL. It is a much better-looking replacement for the really good Ritz, and I find the comparisons with the eye-sore KUV100 to be an insult to the Ignis.

Last edited by Viju : 22nd June 2016 at 14:43.
Viju is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 22:44   #153
Senior - BHPian

I think the IGNIS could be a blockbuster hit ! BUT BUT they need to work on that Butt ! A simple rework of the rear end, even a plane jane job like Dusters rear would do the trick for this car. Its got an imposing stance, super interior and has all it takes.
Old 23rd June 2016, 22:36   #154
Senior - BHPian

If Ignis is going to come with same engines which are used in Swift, Baleno and Ritz, in which bracket is maruti going to position it?

Also a simple google search tells me that Ignis is going to be slightly heavier than Baleno.
Again, one should not forget that Ignis ( From what can be seen in pictures ) will only be comfortable for 4 adults since its as wide as a Grand i10 - 1660mm.Ignis globally seems to have an adjustable boot area ranging from 133 litres to 258 litres. Will indian version have that?
Old 24th June 2016, 02:37   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

After a long long time, I have liked the Ignis interiors in a Maruti!! The steering is a fresh design, so are the buttons in the centre console. I really hope they keep the 7" screen too atleast on the top variant.

Overall, looks like a good product and I wish this comes with the 1.3 MJD than Suzuki's own diesel engine and the boosterjet too! That would be sweet!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 08:39   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
If Ignis is going to come with same engines which are used in Swift, Baleno and Ritz, in which bracket is Maruti going to position it?

The following engines are speculated for the Ignis in India.

The 1.2 litre petrol and 1.3 diesel units and the 1.2 petrol will make around 80 BHP of power and 112 NM of torque. Diesel will make 75 BHP of power and 190 Nm of torque. As of now no SHVS for diesel. CVT variant at launch and AWD could be offered at a later date.

Ignis could start at approx. INR 4 lakhs and range topping at ~ 7 at launch.

It would replace Ritz but will have an overlap in pricing with some variants of Swift and Baleno.

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th June 2016 at 08:55.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 15:37   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

This got me interested -

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ignis.png

But how usable will be the AWD with the 180mm GC?

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/maruti-suz...o-know-1280237
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 19:40   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
This got me interested -

Attachment 1520905

But how usable will be the AWD with the 180mm GC?

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/maruti-suz...o-know-1280237
Not useful if you are looking to do off-roading (though 180mm is still better than most small cars in the similar price bracket). But even there the ground clearance is a lesser problem than the fact that AWD drive systems sometimes struggle with wet muddy roads which are quite common off road in India. It's no Gypsy for sure.

But useful perhaps for driving on regular roads (what people will be doing 99% of the time) for better grip and traction especially on wet roads etc. However there too the trade-off is higher cost, complexity, most systems to fail, more weight to carry so less mileage, and possibly more tire wear.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 20:24   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Not useful if you are looking to do off-roading (though 180mm is still better than most small cars in the similar price bracket).
180mm with such a short wheelbase, should be enough IMO.
Quote:
and But even there the ground clearance is a lesser problem than the fact that AWD drive systems sometimes struggle with wet muddy roads which are quite common off road in India.
No one is talking about a full time off-roader here. One look at the car and it's easy to know that. Surely AWD is better than FWD on wet roads, mud, grass, ice and other low traction situations. It ought to handle little dirt trails well too perhaps the occasional camping trip in the outskirts or a dried up lake bed
Quote:
It's no Gypsy for sure.
Never meant to be one.
Quote:
However there too the trade-off is higher cost, complexity, most systems to fail, more weight to carry so less mileage, and possibly more tire wear.
This is the part that makes me worry such systems will not be coming to India any time soon. Our market is too sensitive to costs at the moment and no matter what the real world benefits are, unless they are seen on a day to day basis, and sometimes even then, the Indian market will refuse to justify or accept higher costs.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th June 2016 at 20:27.
Old 24th June 2016, 20:27   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Surely AWD is better than FWD on wet roads, mud, grass, ice and other low traction situations. Never meant to be one.
No, it's not universally better since AWD depends on a sensor and cannot be turned off. Sensors often can't handle some scenarios very well.

4WD, sure, it can handle all of that stuff with ease.
Old 24th June 2016, 20:39   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, it's not universally better since AWD depends on a sensor and cannot be turned off. Sensors often can't handle some scenarios very well.
No one is saying it is the best solution, or that it has a centre locking diff or advertising it as a 4x4, but I have yet to see a low traction scenario where an AWD is not atleast preferable to FWD. If you know of one please enlighten me. Name these scenarios which it cannot handle better than a FWD car. Secondly, the Suzuki AWD system can be switched to run in 2WD mode if need be.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th June 2016 at 20:44.
Old 27th June 2016, 18:42   #162
Senior - BHPian

Birdie, (fairly reliable), whispers that Ignis may come in an AWD variant too, ("All-Grip") in Suzuki-speak. Apparently Momma' Suzuki wants its latest sibling to be "different" from the rest of the hatchback kids in town.

If this is true - do we witness the creation of a new sub-segment of affordable AWD's? We'll have to wait and watch i guess.

Vehicle's projected launch is around Diwali this year. Let's see.
arjab is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 19:45   #163
BHPian

AWD would make this the most wanted small car for the hills. In many places we don't really need a full fledged 4X4. This would fill that gap between 2WD and 4X4 just about right. Considering how crowded this segment is, affordable AWD would be a very good USP for this car. It would even be market defining - hope this triggers more AWDs/4WDs from other car makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Birdie, (fairly reliable), whispers that Ignis may come in an AWD variant too, ("All-Grip") in Suzuki-speak. Apparently Momma' Suzuki wants its latest sibling to be "different" from the rest of the hatchback kids in town.

If this is true - do we witness the creation of a new sub-segment of affordable AWD's? We'll have to wait and watch i guess.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 20:07   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Birdie, (fairly reliable), whispers that Ignis may come in an AWD variant too, ("All-Grip") in Suzuki-speak.
If this is true, it will be another segment-first from Maruti - just like the AMT, SHVS mild hybrid and dual-tone exteriors.
Old 27th June 2016, 23:04   #165
Team-BHP Support

I hope it's selectable and not all time AWD. That might hamper FE and we know how Maruti feels about FE. :-)
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks