Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2016, 23:09   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Birdie, (fairly reliable), whispers that Ignis may come in an AWD variant too, ("All-Grip") in Suzuki-speak. Apparently Momma' Suzuki wants its latest sibling to be "different" from the rest of the hatchback kids in town...
I think the competition is finally making Maruti think out of the box! And that's a good news! I really hope a lot more manufacturers follow suit, especially in the compact SUV space.

I think the AWD will help in rains with the extra grip and also trips to the snowy parts of India, which otherwise may not be a very confident one during the winters.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 01:01   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

It's easy since everything and anything on four wheels in Japan has an AWD option.

About the fuel penalty that the Ignis would have for the AWD system, i guess Maruti would offer both FWD as well as AWD options.
Anyway, in the Suzuki Japan site, the Ignis hybrid 2WD does 28km/l in the Japanese driving cycle, while the Ignis hybrid Full time-4wd gives 25.4km/l.

To put things into perspective, the Swift 2WD with K12B engine paired with manual transmission gives 19.4km/l in the Japanese Driving Cycle.

But can't expect the AWD (if at all it comes) to pair with the 1.3 diesel manual.
Most likely the 1.2 petrol with CVT would get the AWD option.

Another thing of interest would be that, the 2WD version has a deeper storage well in the boot that could very well be a spare tyre well for India, but the 4WD and Hybrid version get a shallower boot floor, so don't know how they will give the spare tyre provision in India.

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ignis-dicky.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I hope it's selectable and not all time AWD. That might hamper FE and we know how Maruti feels about FE. :-)
It's Full time AWD. The only thing that's selectable is you can Lock the 4WD system in tricky conditions, so that power goes equally to all wheels.

But don't worry, as like most of the other AWD systems, this one is predominantly FWD in normal conditions, power going to the rear wheels only when slippage is detected, or when manually selecting the Lock function.

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ignis-awd.jpg

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ignis-awd2.jpg

So, guess for the enthusiasts, this doesn't look like a sporty AWD system like that of the S cross Allgrip. Hope am proved wrong.

* Excuse the language in the AWD working pics. It's Google translated Japanese from the Suzuki website.

Here is a Walkaround video of the Ignis hybrid AWD.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 09:02   #168
BHPian

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-suzukiignis02b.jpeg

Sorry for posting this picture again but, isn't this gorgeous for a Maruti!?
IMO, this is the best hatchback design to come out of the Suzuki/MSIL stable since the original Swift. I particularly like the old school yet futuristic design approach. Xover/SUVesq clothes for A/A+ hatchbacks seems to be the norm now and while I absolutely loath the KUV1OO (The worst exterior design in India), I love the Kwid, the Redi-go and now the Ignis. If the news is true, Ignis will be an able successor to the Ritz which is also a very good product from Maruti. And, if this comes with all the bells and whistle that are pictured/listed in this thread (sure that the AWD will not be available here), INR 4-6L seems to be a competitive price although I'd like it start from 3L onwards.
MSIL is surely coming of age here. I've hated all of their products until they launched the Brezza which imo a neat design (albeit a little boring now) and I'm excited for the Ignis simply because I might be in the market for a small peppy car in the next year or so.
Porschefire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 13:58   #169
BHPian

If the Ignis does come out with a AWD option, I think my beloved polo 1.2 might finally get an upgrade. I love going off road but I loathe big cars. Now, I know this wont be an off-roader like the Thar or Gypsy, but it can easily go to all the places our soft-roader SUVs can go. And being a MSIL product, repairs are gonna be cheap, and a plethora of upgrades available. This could well turn out to be a really fun car to take to the dirt trails.

Eagerly awaiting it
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 14:25   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
If the Ignis does come out with a AWD option, I think my beloved polo 1.2 might finally get an upgrade.
But don't expect it to be cheap. The AWD, if it is on offer, will come in the top end only, if we go by the way Maruti did for Brezza 2-tone model.

Assume the base Petrol costs 4.5L ex-showroom, Delhi. The top-end 2WD will go up to 6 - 6.5L. Then the top end + AWD will cost anywhere near 7 - 7.5L ex-showroom, which is not a small money for a 3.7m long 1.2L engine'd small car.

If the Brezza top-end comes with an AWD Petrol version at 8 - 8.5L, it will make more sense, I guess.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 14:52   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Assume the base Petrol costs 4.5L ex-showroom, Delhi. The top-end 2WD will go up to 6 - 6.5L. Then the top end + AWD will cost anywhere near 7 - 7.5L ex-showroom, which is not a small money for a 3.7m long 1.2L engine'd small car.
Let us see how they price it. Knowing MSIL, I think they can price it very competitively. Add to that, for people like me who want a small AWD car, there is no option, I for one am ready to pay the premium.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 22:44   #172
Senior - BHPian

This is looking like a sure shot winner, provided it is priced sensibly. Hope Maruti doesn't go overboard and price it above the Swift citing Nexa premium. The front end is among the best I have seen in a long time on a hatch. For a change, I like what I am seeing in the interiors too. If sliding rear seats are provided, it will add a lot of flexibility to this model. It would be the perfect upgrade from a WagonR.

Last edited by longhorn : 28th June 2016 at 22:53.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 12:35   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Ignis on test again, when most details are known, it now is speculated to come in the AWD variant for India too!

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-113523793_625774200925377_489388874_o.jpg

Ignis
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 20:43   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Ignis now spied on test near Parwanoo, Chandigarh.

Expect it to be feature rich and would most probably come in 4 variants as seen in S Cross and Baleno.
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-marutiignistesting1810x540.jpg
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-marutiignistesting4.jpg
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-marutiignistesting5.jpg

Ignis

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th July 2016 at 20:45.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 08:44   #175
Senior - BHPian

The one thing that really puts me off is the similarity in so many aspects in Marutis these days. You step in and the parts are so familiar.. Even here the A & B pillar materials and quality seem so much like the swift... When the bring in a new car they need to make sure that it is distinct at some level.. Part sharing is fine, but not to the extent of this. With engines being the same and platforms being shared, and interior parts being shared as well, how would you really feel a difference if you moved from a swift to an ignis or to a baleno? At least the AWD will make a difference if they bring it here. Else at least a different engine like the 1.0 turbo petrol.
Old 6th July 2016, 10:10   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The one thing that really puts me off is the similarity in so many aspects in Marutis these days. You step in and the parts are so familiar.. Even here the A & B pillar materials and quality seem so much like the swift... When the bring in a new car they need to make sure that it is distinct at some level.. Part sharing is fine, but not to the extent of this. With engines being the same and platforms being shared, and interior parts being shared as well, how would you really feel a difference if you moved from a swift to an ignis or to a baleno? At least the AWD will make a difference if they bring it here. Else at least a different engine like the 1.0 turbo petrol.

I don't think Maruti suffers from this significantly more than any group. It's quite common for most manufactures to have a very common look and feel to the parts bin of its cars. Be it Honda Toyota VAG Hyundai or even the big 3 Germans, Volvo. You name it and the interiors have a very distinct identity across various models. There is a resemblance and a family face whether on the exterior or the interior.
Old 6th July 2016, 12:42   #177
Senior - BHPian

Ignis is such a mixed bag. Front end is wow and rear is plain ugly. Such a mismatch! I hope it will look good in real than in pics. Still, they need to do something about that boxy 80s/90s rear looks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th July 2016 at 19:56. Reason: Typo.
Old 17th July 2016, 14:15   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the awareness of Ignis very high. Seen this at small shop in Bangalore
they seem eager on its release.

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-20160716_133859.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th July 2016 at 14:16.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 18:47   #179
Senior - BHPian

I personally did not like the looks of the car. Do they have to replace one gawky car (Ritz) with another one? Being a Maruti it will have a good initial run but I expect it to languish somewhat with people preferring to spend money on the New Swift, Baleno and the Breeza which look way better than this one.
Old 17th July 2016, 23:24   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The one thing that really puts me off is the similarity in so many aspects in Marutis these days. You step in and the parts are so familiar...
Agree, but Ignis has a very different interior design. That's something I am excited about Maruti / Ignis (after a gap of 8 years or so) - the steering design, the centre console, ACC buttons, all these look different and fresh!

Quote:
...With engines being the same and platforms being shared, and interior parts being shared as well, how would you really feel a difference if you moved from a swift to an ignis or to a baleno?...
I don't mind them using the same bin for all the cars in the immediate price brackets (like Swift and Baleno having similar interior parts) as most owners don't tend to upgrade within the same space.

But I was put off when I found the interiors of the SX4 pretty much the same as my Swift; it just doesn't feel like an upgrade inspite of paying a whole lot of money. Here again, the problem could be pretty much the same between a Baleno & Ciaz - that's a disappointment.

All the cars in similar price bracket can have the same parts, like "Alto & Celerio", "Wagon R & Ignis", "Swift & Baleno", "Ciaz & Brezza", "S-Cross & yet to be launched Vitara" etc and Maruti needs to ensure there is enough distinguishing bits between these segments (if I may call it, based on the price)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th July 2016 at 23:27.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks