Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2017, 01:46   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Sorry to pile on to your disappointment. Euro NCAP rates it 3 stars for the airbag version and 5 stars for the version with the Camera assisted braking (They call it Dual Camera Brake Support Version). Or did i miss your being sarcastic?
Wasn't that the European Spec Ignis?
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/european-s...-tests-1632587
Old 14th January 2017, 02:03   #797
BHPian

May be Suzuki is trying to emulate the Mini brand with the Ignis. It is compact and it is expensive, therefore it is Premium.
Old 14th January 2017, 06:29   #798
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think the Ignis is just the right blend of functionality, features, looks and overall appeal.
True to Maruti's endless pageant of HITS in the Indian Market, this car is absolutely poised to be a Winner all the way.
No surprises when the waiting period/ queue goes up to 6 or 7 months, as I am absolutely sure it will do!
Im thinking this car is a very worthy replacement in its top spec Petrol AMT Avatar, for my parents I20 Asta which is barely 3 years old with some 15000 kms on the clock, but which looks rather long in the tooth already!
The main reasons for even thinking of this is on account of the modernity it offers, the AMT, its stance, the ease of ingress/ egress, the compact size, the safety and other kit, the excellent looking wheels and tyres, the proven 1.2 litre K series engine which actually is a better performer by a mile, than the gutless and wheezy Hyundai 1.2 petrol, the features and convenience of the Ignis and of course, the looks too! Maruti's service network is a bonus, for trouble free motoring...
The only disadvantage I see is that the Top Spec Alpha Petrol doesn't have an AMT option and I don't know why this is so.
I was checking the specs published on Carwale which is quite a good barometer.
The difference between the Zeta 1.2 AMT Petrol and Alpha 1.2 MT Petrol seems to be 6.5 Lacs vs 6.9 Lacs (ex Showroom Bangalore), translating to 7.8 lacs on road for the Zeta and 8.28 for the Alpha. (The 7.8 Lacs on road for the Zeta is comparable to the 7.9 Lacs that one is compelled to shell out for a Brand New Bare Bones Gypsy on road, in Bangalore!) Crazy huh?
And the Alpha has a reverse camera and driver side seat height adjustment and Automatic Climate Control where the Zeta doesn't.
I wish they would simply give consumers the Top Spec in AT/ AMT instead of continually giving AT/AMT only in the Spec which is just below the Top one. I cannot understand this aspect of their thinking at all. (Both Hyundai and Maruti are guilty of this particular unforgivable wickedness!!)

Saying that, it will most definitely be a hit. Maruti are really piling on lots of goodies in their newer offerings, year after year after year. Contrary to their earlier "cheap as chips" behaviour and value propositions, these newer offerings are really a good blend of value and premium and class-targeted squarely at the standard (mass) customer. This seems like Im betting on certainties, but heck, thats true! Every vehicle brought in by Maruti in the recent past, has beautifully plugged a gap in the market and caused massive lines outside their showrooms. Like it or not, this is a fact.
For most people in India, who are working on a cost vs benefit equation and are governed by a budget, there is NOTHING quite like a Maruti that fits the bill!
I really like this CAR.
And my vote will surely go for it, as the TBHP COTY 2017! Unless the Earth Moves and something absolutely fantabulous, comes up in the rest of the year!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th January 2017 at 06:47.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 07:29   #799
BHPian

Think of people lapping up Brezza ahead of Ciaz and Baleno ahead of S-Cross. Both comparisons are like chalk and cheese - except for SUV in case of Brezza and looks in case of Baleno. When I picked my S-cross an year back, Baleno had hit the showrooms - except exterior styling and engines, everything else was ordinary about the car. Likewise, Ciaz is far superior product compared to Vitara Brezza.

With demonetization and big drop in sales, expect at least the 'premium' segments/offerings to come to their senses in terms of pricing.

Buying a new car from other than Tatas and Mahindras seems value-destroying decision all the way. Ridiculous pricing from every single car maker except these two now.
Old 14th January 2017, 07:48   #800
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that this will not do so badly. Its a good pick as a small, premium, second car for city runabouts.

Target audience - snobby "millennials", guys going through mid-life crises and the retired rich
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 07:50   #801
BHPian

Last night I went to sleep cursing MSIL on how can they ask for 7.54 lakh (1.2P Alpha, OTR Kolkata) for a tiny car like this. After waking up, and with a fresh mind I went to the Nexa website and clicked on the accessories brochure. Suddenly my perception totally changed.
The sheer number of options for customization is never seen before in this segment. Roof, cladding, orvm cover, interior, each and everything can be customised to anyone's personal preference. As far as I can remember, only other hatchback that has this much factory fitted customization option is the MINI.
Yes the Aspire, i10, Baleno, Ciaz etc are more value for money, but do we always think with the brain when it comes to something special like buying a car? If we did then Aspire would have sold more than Dzire. VW can sell a glorified Vento as an Audi A3 then why can't MSIL sell a glorified Wagon R/Ritz as Ignis?
A brand new steering, Maruti fuss free ownership, tried and tested engines, assuring answer to the kitna deti hai question, quirky and different styling, blings like LED headlamps, poor man's Ad Personam like customization experience, all these for 7.54 lakh. Now it doesn't seem like that much overpriced, does it?

Now for the heart and eyes only. Not meant for the practical and value conscious mind Ignis Accessories Brochure.pdf

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ignis-accessories-1.jpgThe Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ignis-accessories-2.jpgThe Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ignis-accessories-3.jpgThe Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ignis-accessories-4.jpgThe Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ignis-accessories-5.jpg

Disclaimer: In no way I am endorsing Ignis or insulting owners of Aspire, Dzire etc. This is just my personal opinion regarding the pricing.
Debajyoti is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 08:26   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
A brand new steering, Maruti fuss free ownership, tried and tested engines, assuring answer to the kitna deti hai question, quirky and different styling, blings like LED headlamps, poor man's Ad Personam like customization experience, all these for 7.54 lakh. Now it doesn't seem like that much overpriced, does it?
Any idea what are the cost of these accessories? The way I understand is 7.54 is the price of canvas and by the time you add few options, the price may as well cross into 8L or more.

-Anoop
Old 14th January 2017, 08:28   #803
BHPian

On the price front, it looks over priced at the very first look. But, if one goes beyond the skin and analyse the feature / spec, it seems to be an OK price. For eg. The segment leader, Grand i10 Asta (M) costs 7.44 lakh in Bangalore (On road) whereas 8.28 Lakhs is for Ignis Alpha (M). A difference of 84 thousand.

Now, let's see what all fronts Ignis is better compared to Grand i10.
1. Width - 30mm more
2. Height - 75mm more
3. Wheel base - 10mm more
4. Fuel economy - 2km/L more
5. Air cond. - Auto climate control
6. Braking - EBD
7. Parking - Reverse camera
8. Rear seat - 60:40 split
9. Head lamps - LED
10. DRL - Yes
11. Ground clearance - 15mm more
12. Turning radius - 0.5m less
13. Tyres - 175/65R15 - (Grand i10 - 165/65R14)
14. And A.S.S as usual for Maruti

I have listed some aspects which I found relevant. There are other smaller differences also. Some aspects, i10 outweighs Ignis like leather steering wheel / fuel tank capacity etc. But, those in no way coming prominent.

So, looking at the above, it seems the price of Ignis is OK to me. People can have definitely difference of opinion.

Also, If I have wrongly put any aspects above (I compared on Carwale), please correct me.
Sree73 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 09:09   #804
BHPian

Bangaloreans! Another mild shock for you guys! (But, we're used to such things in every sphere).

Add: 2.5 - 3% to get ex-showroom, Bangalore prices. So, our prices start from ₹4,72,629/- for Sigma Petrol and goes up to ₹7,99,137/- for Alpha Diesel.

Add: another cool 20% (approx.) to get on road prices.

After all, Bangalore itself is Premium!

Last edited by jaaz : 14th January 2017 at 09:13.
jaaz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 10:08   #805
BHPian

Herd mentality and love for Maruti is the thing which will still make this car sell. People may still buy this vehicle though its overpriced and is most likely not a very wise buy. I still appreciate how Tata have priced the Tiago which is a very competent vehicle at its price and also feel no reason for an initial buyer to buy the Ignis over Tiago unless one has loads of cash lying unused. On the other hand i feel the smoothness and quality of Hyundai i10 is something that Maruti is far behind and it does feel premium when compared to the Ignis.

Branding the Ignis via Nexa seems like a well thought of strategy by MSIL to sell the car at an over priced tag for the chauvinistic guys out there. Given an option, i would anyday buy a Fiat Punto (Pure) or even the Evo over this vehicle for the sheer fun of driving and for the not so enthusiast i still feel the i10 is a more sensible buy. In its current offering, neither the Ignis feels premium, nor sporty, Vitara Breeza , Baleno and the new Swift (when launched) would still make sense over Ignis.

However, as i said earlier the car will still have takers since its another product from the Maruti stable. I hope sense may prevail soon in the market and people would realise their money's worth but until that day, happy earning MSIL
NST440 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 10:11   #806
Distinguished - BHPian

Kenichi Ayukawa & CV Raman talk about the Ignis.

RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 10:33   #807
BHPian

I somehow do not get the point of this car. It looks like a Glorified WagonR. Knowing Maruti it will be as Tinny from outside as its other cars. Its expensive for what it offers. Why would anyone choose this one over say a Grand i10. As compared to this the Baleno though a bit expensive is VFM. In fact personally I would even prefer the current swift over the Ignis.

If I were to place a bet there is not going to be a mad rush for the car and no long waiting periods like the last two MUL launches. I thought that they would price it right and do volumes, now that their Gujarat plant also is going live next month. So their capacity constraints will be eased.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 10:43   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

Some infographics shared by CarDekho, pitting the Ignis against it's in-house competition.

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-maruti0.jpg

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-petrol_02.jpg

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-diesel_02.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 14th January 2017 at 16:19. Reason: Updated the infographic
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 10:59   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
Now for the heart and eyes only. Not meant for the practical and value conscious mind
Interesting perspective indeed. But can't help but wonder how one can put Maruti customers and "Not meant for the practical and value conscious mind" in the same sentence
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 11:12   #810
BHPian

While we are annoyed by the disastrous pricing compared to the kwid and wagon R, look what India TV thinks. :-p

Taking the millenials thing forward!
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-img20170114wa0004.jpg  

Oranger is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks