Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2017, 14:16   #826
BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sadly NEXA Bangalore Museum Road doesn't have an IGNIS to view and evaluate. The vehicle is expected on 18th Jan. Odd, I thought, considering the launch was yesterday!
I went in to Kataria Nexa (opp Forum Mall), they expect the car on Monday. Called up Kalyani Nexa( J.P Nagar) they said it will be available tomorrow 11AM. It looks like no dealer in Bangalore has the car on display !
Old 14th January 2017, 15:05   #827
BHPian

I acquired a new perspective after seeing the clip. Thank you for sharing it, RavenAvi.

Imagine 3-4 years ago, Suzuki and Renault deciding to address the 'Millennials' with an affordable and appealing hatchback. The strategy and the perspective of the manufacturers offers an interesting insight into the evolving market that India is.

No one could have thought that the French manufacturer to choose the "KWID" way of almost complete local development in India, pricing at the very entry of the market, compromising on safety from their global brand heritage to match local models, using their new modular platform, providing a lot of customisation options and thereby making the Kwid more accessible and appealing.

Instead in Japan, Suzuki decided to make a (another) global hatchback with development on their latest platform, launching Indian models with full safety kit right from base model, providing a lot of customisation options and thereby making the Ignis more appealing and accessible.

I see KWID as an 'Indianised' car from a global brand, while IGNIS is the global car from an Indian brand. Renault based that millennials prefer looks and VFM while Suzuki saw them as those paying more for a stylish and premium product. It is a new battleground for both the manufacturers, nevertheless I am sure both the companies will not be disappointed at the end of the day.

What more can an automotive enthusiast expect to happen in the country. The battle has just began.

Last edited by vivee90 : 14th January 2017 at 15:06. Reason: technical correction
vivee90 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 15:06   #828
Senior - BHPian

My take on Ignis after reading all the reactions,

If one looks at 'only' the Petrol variant pricing, the price is spot-on.

As RavenAvi mentioned the Diesel variant prices seem to be jacked-up shortly before launch, I see No other reason than that Maruti wants to make Brezza look more VFM and Ignis if Petrol and Brezza if Diesel is sought by a customer.

I could have booked Ignis for my wife but for that AMT and I really love our A-Star even more due to its normal A/T.

So I wouldn't be surprised at the reasonable success of Ignis, but surely it would perform better than Ritz in sales figures.

Now comes my other observation.

I simply don't like the 'bent inside' (that is Not in straight line) or whatever the exact technical-term is of the car-boot door. I feel it spoils the look or looks out of place. One car with that design was Fiat Uno (pic attached) and now Ignis also seems to have that.

I personally hate that factor to the core.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-fiat_uno_by_koxe11.jpg  

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-suzukiignis20172.jpg  

Last edited by carwatcher : 14th January 2017 at 15:16.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 15:40   #829
Senior - BHPian

Was browsing through Facebook when I saw this. I guess Maruti knows its target audience and how to market it 😂. (For those who don't read Hindi, it says -Maruti launches car with Mercedes like features for at a shockingly low price!)
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-1484388609023.jpg  

DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 15:57   #830

Guys, what would be your guess on volumes for this pricing? At the end of the day, the Ignis Delta P is around 60k more expensive than the WagonR with almost similar feature count, the 'VXi ABS' (WagonR has extra Fog Lamps & Rear Wiper-Defogger, Ignis has Steering Wheel Audio Controls) 9500 units per month seems plausible, provided production levels are able to match the demand?
Old 14th January 2017, 16:09   #831
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
8L on road Bangalore on the dot for the Petrol alpha MT. Pricey for sure! The diesel Aplha MT will be 9.2-9.3L on road bangalore.

I think they are looking at margins more than numbers as teh NEXA reach is still lesser than regular MS.
Wow that's insane pricing. I don't understand who would buy this. My 2015 Honda City was a little less than 10 lacs.
Old 14th January 2017, 16:16   #832
Senior - BHPian

I guess people are forgetting inflation when comparing with old prices from higher bracket of cars. India's average inflation is 8%. So 10Lakh rupees 2 years ago is 11.6 lakhs today. 15 lakhs 5 years ago is 22 lakhs today, and so on.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 16:23   #833
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I guess people are forgetting inflation when comparing with old prices from higher bracket of cars. India's average inflation is 8%. So 10Lakh rupees 2 years ago is 11.6 lakhs today. 15 lakhs 5 years ago is 22 lakhs today, and so on.
It just looks like another small car like celerio. It should be priced a little more than Wagon R/ Celerio. The shape is awkward, it is small and the back reminds me of the Fiat Uno. Zero desirability in my eyes. Also the ground clearance is way too high for that short wheelbase, and in a little while we will see pictures of Ignises rolled over in the accidents thread. And the engines are the same in all their cars.

Last edited by mxh : 14th January 2017 at 16:25.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 16:36   #834
BHPian

For once, the maruti PR guy is being candid. Who really NEEDs an iPad? No one! Yet, we witness gazillions of them being sold. So, he probably meant that the Ignis is targeted towards people that value style over substance. Style, in an Indian context specially. Anyways, maruti has launched way worse designs in the past like the new 800, last gen zen, wagon-r.

And, if people still buy the anemic Baleno 1.2 CVT and Jazz 1.2 AT over Figo 1.5 AT, then why wouldn't they buy this contraption, in spite of the lame AMT?

Finally, Kudos to maruti for finally launching a diesel AT hatch in the mass market space.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 14th January 2017 at 16:40.
ashwin489 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 16:46   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly NEXA Bangalore Museum Road doesn't have an IGNIS to view and evaluate. The vehicle is expected on 18th Jan. Odd, I thought, considering the launch was yesterday!
The IGNIS, Zeta, Uptown Red Dual Tone Petrol is on Display at Mandovi Nexa, near Cauvery Theatre on Bellary Road.

One more Silver color Delta is available in basement. Both are Manual versions.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 16:51   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
Who really NEEDs an iPad? No one! So, he probably meant that the Ignis is targeted towards people that value style over substance.
You are being unreasonably judgmental here. There is no reason to make a sweeping statement like this. By this rule, nothing is needed anymore. Some people love Ignis for the way it looks, some dont. Doesnt mean that Ignis has no substance. It is much better than most of its direct competitors in most aspects.

Quote:
And, if people still buy the anemic Baleno 1.2 CVT and Jazz 1.2 AT over Figo 1.5 AT, then why wouldn't they buy this contraption, in spite of the lame AMT?
A car is not just an engine and a gear box. There are many other things that affect practicality. Figo AT is superior to Baleno and Jazz only in the engine-GB combo and inferior to both in most other aspects. Jazz and Baleno are not anemic by any standards. If you consider MT, Figo is inferior in probably all aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Wow, just look at the kerb weight of all and Ritz seems to have the highest of them. I've always reiterated that Ritz has a much better build quality than Swift or for the matter any other small car by Maruti. And all the talk about Suzuki TECT body and all is of no use till we actually see an India made Ignis subjected to the Crash test. Crumple zones are a necessity but you just can't get away with showing something on paper and selling something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
After owning both I do second your opinion, Ritz was definitely a better balance car when it comes to build. We have to wait for reviews to confirm if ignis comes even close, I doubt it since the kerb weight seems to indicate it would be a tin can.
I am sure Ritz would have failed the crash tests considering that Swift failed. But I am not so sure about the Ignis, given that Maruti is confident of their TECT body and the Baleno based on the same platform has a stable structure. There is absolutely no correlation between weight and safety, when comparing different platforms.

Whenever a manufacturer consciously advertise their structure, it tends to be stable. Look at Honda's ACE structure, they have been advertising it for long, and when tested, the Mobilio was judged to have a stable structure. Till the launch of Baleno, Maruti seldom mentioned the structural aspects of their cars, and all of them failed the tests. But once they started talking about TECT, their India made Baleno was judged structurally stable.

Last edited by deerhunter : 14th January 2017 at 17:14.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 16:52   #837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Im thinking this car is a very worthy replacement in its top spec Petrol AMT Avatar, for my parents I20 Asta which is barely 3 years old with some 15000 kms on the clock, but which looks rather long in the tooth already!
You are going to move a segment lower, the i20 is definitely going to be a better car in all aspects except maybe the engine wrt ignis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
Last night I went to sleep cursing MSIL on how can they ask for 7.54 lakh (1.2P Alpha, OTR Kolkata) for a tiny car like this. After waking up, and with a fresh mind I went to the Nexa website and clicked on the accessories brochure. Suddenly my perception totally changed.
But how does having an accessory line up justify base car cost? Infact they should give option to buy cheap base models with any drive option and let customers do the customisation, then this premium cost is justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Wow, just look at the kerb weight of all and Ritz seems to have the highest of them. I've always reiterated that Ritz has a much better build quality than Swift or for the matter any other small car by Maruti.
After owning both I do second your opinion, Ritz was definitely a better balance car when it comes to build. We have to wait for reviews to confirm if ignis comes even close, I doubt it since the kerb weight seems to indicate it would be a tin can.

Quote:
Suddenly I have a new found respect for the Figo, though we rejected the spartan interiors now Figo AMT seems to be the best option for the santro replacement. Atleast you are getting 90% of the money's worth!

Back to Square 1 lol

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th January 2017 at 17:39.
Jaggu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 16:52   #838
BHPian

WagonR VXi ABS 5.36 lakhs and Ignis Sigma Petrol 5.24 lakhs here in Goa. That's the only case when I would recommend anyone to buy Ignis. For someone who doesn't care about features this is a good option. Higher variants don't make sense unless a SA brainwashes you or you have a lot of money to spare on taking a gamble. Within MSIL, the Brezza is a better option regardless of the better features that are available at a similar price point in Ignis.

Last edited by anycatd : 14th January 2017 at 16:54.
anycatd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 17:43   #839
Senior - BHPian

I found the overall feel of Ignis interiors quite fresh and different.

As mentioned time and again on various forums, Diesel cars are now losing favour fast, then why do MSIL should lose its sleep.

I think Dzire, Baleno, Brezza, Wagon R, Alto and Swift would be permanent of >10000 unit club members in the next generation. Ignis would settle at 6000-8000 levels like Celerio and if enters >10000 club, I would be surprised.
Old 14th January 2017, 17:49   #840
BHPian

S-Cross was a great product, but the reason it flopped was it didn't looked interesting and Creta was available. Baleno already had Elite i20 in the same segment with good looks, build quality, feature list etc and Nexa needed a blockbuster to survive. That is the reason Maruti had no other option than pricing Baleno aggressively.
Now Kwid is a segment lower, Grand i10 provides safety features as option on the top end variant, KUV100 is quikry in a bad way, and our nation just loves anything in a SUVish avatar. So without any proper competition, Maruti got the chance to price it greedily.
Will it have the same fate as S-Cross, no. It will be just another Creta, Crysta, Tucson, an overpriced blockbuster.
I have a feeling Nexa will turn out out be what Lexus is to Toyota. Normal Maruti showroom will sell reliable, no nonsense, practical but uninspiring cars. Nexa will sell the same reliable, practical wine, but in a fancy, good looking and different bottle for a premium price with higher margin.
Debajyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks