Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2017, 00:11   #856
BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
With mainstream media reporting such things for the Ignis, no wonder people are thronging the showrooms!

Today's Dainik Bhaskar: (Translation - "If you forget, this car applies it's brakes automatically by itself!")

Is the "emergency brake assist " option available in Indian cars?
As far as I understand this requires radars to be activated and this is still not approved in India.
Old 15th January 2017, 00:14   #857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
As far as I understand this requires radars to be activated and this is still not approved in India.
Radar based brake support is not available for any car in India. During my interaction with Maruti engineers ( when they were testing booster jet Baleno), the car had radar based brake support. But it was showing as disabled in MID. Reason is it is not allowed in India because it interferes with military frequency ( do not know much about this)
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 00:40   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Radar based brake support is not available for any car in India. During my interaction with Maruti engineers ( when they were testing booster jet Baleno), the car had radar based brake support. But it was showing as disabled in MID. Reason is it is not allowed in India because it interferes with military frequency ( do not know much about this)
It is present in the Volvo XC90 hybrid. The Government has delicensed some frequencies which the Volvo uses. It is expected in the S90 D5 to be released soon.

Govt frees spectrum for automobile use

Volvo XC90 Excellence T8 Hybrid

The part of the spectrum used by Mercedes and others are not yet delicensed, but heavy lobbying is going on.
deerhunter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 01:24   #859
BHPian

I saw it last evening at Nexa Lower Parel. It did bring in the footfalls but people were also immediately checking out the adjacent Baleno. It helped that the Ignis and Baleno were placed cheek by jowl.

It sure has some street cred; looks better in flesh than it did in the pics. An Indian musician with an American accent was singing Hindi songs which was a bit weird; he even had his shades on - probably channeling his inner Stevie Wonder. There was confetti on the roof of the Ignis. The interiors are not my cup of tea - they seemed well thought out but too in your face. This wasn't the top trim - I think this was the Zeta.

Comparisons to Wagon R are a bit unfair - clearly a lot more thought and effort has gone into the interior design and exterior styling - it's like comparing the Santro to the i10 because both happen to be the same size.

Oh and the rims definitely add a certain pizazz. I really thought their pricing was optimistic but having seen the product itself, I can see why it would be a hit despite its slightly higher price tag.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 07:32   #860
Senior - BHPian

Just get the feeling that this is going to be a bestseller inspite of the (possibly) higher pricing. It will not be an S-Cross story - because it is way below the million rupee mark & its looks will go down well in our market.
And of course the Maruti tag will help.
I would venture a guess and say it could sell 6 to 8000 units on an average in the coming months.
Old 15th January 2017, 08:57   #861

Hi fellow BHPians, this is my first post here. Saw Ignis in flesh at Bhandari Nexa, Alipur, Kolkata after booking it one week ago directly at the dealer outlet. Only Zeta and Delta MT have reached there. The car seemed better built than Baleno, paint quality and interior looked better than Baleno too. I liked the car from front side, alloy wheels add a charm here. Big letdown is rear seat space, which is much less than baleno. The price which they Quoted for Zeta AMT which I booked is Rs 6.54 lac and Rs 6.67 lac for dual tone color option(both ex showroom). On road that amounts to roughly 7.2 L and 7.35 L respectively. The waiting period is now 2 months, which they say even increased after launch. In my case the delivery date is mentioned by Feb 13th. Of course I am going forward with the booking with Tinsen Blue color, though I liked the displayed dual tone Uptown Red.

Uptown red Zeta MT displayed at Bhandari Nexa, Kolkata
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-1484450904814.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th January 2017 at 14:45. Reason: Back to back post, EDIT original post instead. Thanks.
Seahorse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 09:21   #862
Senior - BHPian

I haven't had a look at the Ignis in person as yet, but just two thoughts come to my mind:-

1) From day one when media and everyone else speculated that the Ignis will be sort of a replacement to the ritz, Maruti should have made subtle effort to send across a point that it would be a little premium, at least to level expectations.

2) If the car is being targeted at millennials they should have provided a lot more gizmos. I think it wouldn't have been so much trouble to have a touch screen ICE across the range. With Maruti's volumes it would have been easy to bring down the costs of such gadgets which are anyway costing lesser day by day. And what else does the car have? Nothing novel really! Should have come with a lot more features to justify the slight premium.

Lastly, if this car has a way better build quality than the swift or even the baleno then it may attract some people, but if build quality was an important criteria then we wouldn't have swifts and dZires selling the way they are. So when Maruti finally does a so called better built car the way it's done business may prove to be its hurdle since all along Maruti never spoke about it and their fan base don't seem to bother about it so much either. Also when you say better build quality, can anyone say how does it stack up against the segment benchmark-the polo?
Old 15th January 2017, 09:31   #863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

@Jaggu
Lower Segment:
Yes I understand this. However, the overall need state determines the car one buys. The I 20 is a good car and has tons of features etc. It is quite spacious too.
But the gutless wheezy petrol engine is absolutely irritating beyond a point.
The Ignis (if available in Top Spec Alpha Petrol with AMT) can become a perfect choice for us because of all those considerations earlier mentioned in my previous post and specifically because of the better engine, better power to weight ratio and of course, the AMT.
I hope you realise that while the 1.2 engine in the Ignis is not as gutless as the i20's, the AMT box removes any semblance of performance from any engine. AMT's are strictly commuterish and the experience from an AMT is nowhere near as good as a MT or a regular AT.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 09:38   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
BANGALORE NEXA SHOWROOM MAHADEVPURA UPDATE
So the showroom manager calls me at 3:30pm and says we have display cars available.
I got there by 3:45 and there was a huge cake cutting ceremony. Everybody (300 odd people) gets cake and Tropicana.
Now coming to car itself,
I go there with a very open mind assuming it won't be any bigger than the Kwid.
And I look at the car (A zeta variant) , wow. It's not as small as I thought. "Not bad" I tell myself. Let's get inside.
My observations go as follows
1. I get inside and I expected a Tin Can thud, but hear something solid. Not very solid, but solid.
2. The steering wheel is definetely miles ahead of any Maruti I've seen before.
3. Tactile feedback on the buttons are damn good.
4. Plastic quality on dashboard is one of the best I've seen on a Maruti this side of an S-cross
5. Mirrors were quite big (bigger than the Figo I test drove in the morning)
6. Seats very comfortable
7. Door handles - nice to hold.
8. White interiors - Blehhhh. Yuck.
Exactly my thoughts. When the prices were announced I too felt that these were on the higher side but a visit to Nexa changed all that. Ignis definitely is different and looks intresting for sure. Its not just a grown up WagonR but much more effort has gone into designing it and it shows. Ground clearance is truly Suvish, it sits upright and offers a good visibility all around and doesnt make you feel claustrophobic (even with that swooping C pillar) like I20s swifts and even Cretas do. That atleast to me is a big plus point as I hate cars which makes you feel claustrophobic.

HU and AC knobs do look out of place in Zeta but its not a deal breaker and something you can live by. Once you get past that the car is very good in all respects and offers good value for your money. Just because its small doesnt mean it should be cheap.Zeta petrol @ 5.75 lakhs is a good buy in my opinion as it offers almost all the basic creature comfort. I think Maruti knows that and thats why almost all Nexas have got only Zetas to Display (no alpha) thats where the volume will come for Maruti.

As far as the build quality goes its good much better than swifts. The front door shuts with a little thud, rear door however felt lighter in comparison. The boot lid was pretty heavy too and takes some effort to close.

I think majority of the peole who are commenting negatively are the ones who have not seen the car yet in flesh, a visit to Nexa might change that. Some one even went on to say that the height of the car will make it topple over and soon there will be numerous such news. Thats taking things too far IMHO, Ignis is a globar car and has already been reviewed by so many car experts and none raised this apprehension. So as a member of a responsible community I feel we should refrain from making such remarks (no offence intended).

Width of Ignis is good and compliments the height very well (its no premier Rio or Wagon R) thus the overall stance looks planted and not weird. Suspension though its early to comment could be on softer side. I could feel car going up and down when people were getting in and out. Not sure if the observation is correct though.

Nexa SEs are totally clueless about the car ( Dwarka Delhi Nexa) you ask anything and rest assured you will get a funny answer. I commented upon the HU and AC knobs when I was asked what I think of Car to which I got the reply that its a cockpit design and done deliberately like that and i should google it .

I felt that car could do well with underbody engine protection to which SEs response was " sir all cars are like that no company does that". When I asked him what about Scross and Brezza He started looking left right. They even didnt know the difference between Delta and Zeta. Its better to politely decline their assistance and check everything yourself unless you want to be amused.

Last edited by rahul412 : 15th January 2017 at 09:49.
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 09:38   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All 40 and 60 series volvos have emergency braking based on a pair of stereo cameras. The xc90 has a newer version that is based on radars that can also do large animal detection. City Safety as it is called has saved my skin multiple times.
Old 15th January 2017, 10:20   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
Suspension though its early to comment could be on softer side. I could feel car going up and down when people were getting in and out. Not sure if the observation is correct though.

Nexa SEs are totally clueless about the car ( Dwarka Delhi Nexa) you ask anything and rest assured you will get a funny answer
I observed this too. Every time two people get in and out of the car, the suspension travels and lot and the car goes up and down a lot.

And yes, the Sales Advisors are definitely clueless about the car. They gave me weird and unrelated answers to some questions and even went to the extent of directing another customer to me to answer one of his queries.
Old 15th January 2017, 10:21   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Any idea what are the cost of these accessories? The way I understand is 7.54 is the price of canvas and by the time you add few options, the price may as well cross into 8L or more.

-Anoop
Ignis accessories prices from the Nexa accessorise website
Body Side Moulding 1690
Cladding 4590
Door Visor 990
Fog Lamp Garnish 390
Front Grille Graphics 100
Mud Flap 690
Roof Line Spoiler 5590
Roof Wrap 9990
Labour charges additional, body coloured and carbon fibre finished spoilers are priced same.

Last edited by Debajyoti : 15th January 2017 at 10:47.
Debajyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 11:45   #868
BHPian

This is something I am not happy about. In the Alpha, they do not have AMT\AGS, I will have to settle for the Zeta.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-ingis.jpg  

Last edited by Roshan_v_k : 15th January 2017 at 11:50.
Old 15th January 2017, 12:25   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
I observed this too. Every time two people get in and out of the car, the suspension travels and lot and the car goes up and down a lot.

And yes, the Sales Advisors are definitely clueless about the car. They gave me weird and unrelated answers to some questions and even went to the extent of directing another customer to me to answer one of his queries.
And I also observed a guy as he was pushing the engine bay down (to check the suspension travel) even then the car was going up and down a lot. We will have to see how the ride quality turns out to be during test drives. Amazingly there has been no drive report anywhere usually autocar comes up with a first drive report as soon as the car is launched but this time all they have come up with is a small video showing the features and all.
Old 15th January 2017, 12:43   #870
Senior - BHPian

Guys isn't this an old wine in new bottle. And with that I don't mean the features etc. I mean same old K12 and same old MJD 1.3 (or DDIS if you insist) and still every one is gaga about this car.

Sad part is that the car which deserved to do well SCross 1.6 didn't do well and this car that looks more like Reebok shoes might laugh all the way to the top of chart!!
vibbs is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks