Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2017, 14:58   #991
BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

TD vehicles needs to be registered and they wouldn't want to reveal the price before launch so they would have waited for that. So Delivery vehicles would reach showroom faster on D-day.

Now there are lots of people who book on day one of booking of any branch let alone MSIL without having any knowledge, so its quite obvious the case will be more in case of MSIL.

Just two months back people were complaining that TATA has given TD vehicle and still not launched/revealed prices.

End of the day everyone wants the best deal which is a very natural and true instinct but they want it first. No one wants to be second. Hope people realise patience is a blessed virtue and not something which needs to be forgotten just because more money is involved!
RaghuVis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 15:45   #992
BHPian

Aren't we taking this a bit too seriously? Nobody's forcing anyone to buy a vehicle without a Test drive. They just started the bookings before the launch of the car. (All companies do that. To create the hype) The booking amount wasn't much and totally refundable.

Now, it stands to reason that those who booked early will get the 1st lot of vehicles. Yes, the Test Drive vehicles should have been there and if someone insists that he won't purchase the vehicle without a Test Ride, then the company goes on and hands over the vehicle to the next customer who wants it. Everything is supply and demand. And Trust!

Come on, it's not a Lamborghini we are buying! It's the same engine we have seen countless times, We trust Maruti enough to think that their latest vehicle has it's ride and handling, interior quality, etc. etc. sorted. There are a lot of reviews around. Everyone by now, generally knows about the positives and negatives of the Car.

I, for one, am confirming and getting the vehicle without even seeing it in the flesh, er metal!

The only thing that might change is that, I find another colour more attractive and change my booking. And that, I understand, will put me at the back of the line of people who have booked that particular color. And I'm fine with that.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 16:12   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
I get a call this morning from the NEXA showroom manager in Bangalore. This is how it went
Got a similar call now from NEXA -OMR Chennai and the lady said if I do not avail the car now then I would be put on the list and would lose my booking slot and she didnt know when next a car would be allotted to me and if I change the colour or variant then she mentioned that then it would be treated as a fresh booking.Not Convinced. Planning to visit the showroom tom/sun and see the car and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Waiting impatiently for the TeamBHP review!
Remember reading a couple of pages back that the TeamBHP official review was slated to come around 2nd week of Feb.

Last edited by ampere : 20th January 2017 at 19:49. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
rajinibm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 18:51   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Autoportal's take on the new Ignis

Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 20:18   #995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Come on, it's not a Lamborghini we are buying! It's the same engine we have seen countless times, We trust Maruti enough to think that their latest vehicle has it's ride and handling, interior quality, etc. etc. sorted. There are a lot of reviews around. Everyone by now, generally knows about the positives and negatives of the Car...
A disappointing perspective! It doesn't matter whether you are buying a Nano or a Lambo, it's important to check whether the car fits you. More than engine / interior part quality, the most important parameter to check in a car is the driver ergonomics. And this is the reason why anyone & everyone who plan to drive the car SHOULD take a TD.

While majority of people may not have a problem, there are people who, because of their driving style, may find discomfort in their driving positions. For them, saving this 10 mins to TD a car can lead to a "compromised living" with the car Vs a happy ownership. The only solution is to sell the car and buy something which suits them. I have read about such (unhappy) owners on t-bhp and am (un)fortunate to see one in my family itself.

IIRC, the current gen Swift has a design flaw where the shin touches the centre console. This, after Maruti sold a generation of the Swift for 5+ years with the same engines and better ride / handling characteristics + internal part quality. There are multiple posts on how some people can't find a comfortable driving position in Fiat cars (including me). There are people who complain that they can't see the dials when they set the driver seat to their comfort. There are cars which have very less space next to the ABC pedals for resting the left foot or those where the ABC pedals are not at a proper height for a comfortable, relaxed driving experience.

You may be ok to buy a car without TDing it, but please avoid the practice of justifying / advocating it on a reputed platform like team-bhp. Please!

Quote:
....There are a lot of reviews around. Everyone by now, generally knows about the positives and negatives of the Car...
Quote:
....Waiting impatiently for the TeamBHP review!
Why?! I assume you know everything about Ignis already from the reviews available, so why impatiently wait for team bhp review? Team-bhp reviews help potential customers make an informed decision whether to buy a product or not. And all the reviewers emphasis on the need of a TD before finalizing the product. If you are buying the product and then looking for the review, you are losing out on the intended benefit.

Edit: GTO wrote this on the Swift's official TD thread.
Quote:
Shockingly, the “shin” area of my leg kept hitting against the plastic panel right above the clutch, when fully pressing the clutch pedal. To the point where it started hurting after 60 minutes of driving & constantly changing gears. Note that this is down to the driving position, and friendly Moderator Stratos didn’t face the same issue. On the other hand, in his driving position, his left knee kept hitting against the waterfall console in an annoying manner. If you are anything over 5’8” in height, you can bet that you will face either of the two problems mentioned here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2521279

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th January 2017 at 20:33. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 21:10   #996
Senior - BHPian

I got a chance to see the alpha MT vehicle today and started the engine also. Will be driving the vehicle maybe shortly once it gets registered.
Did not take pics due to time shortage.

Overall, what I liked was the build quality (for a MS standard vehicle), the doors didn't felt as tinny as a swift/Brezza or Baleno. Much like the old Ritz it had. Under hard pressing the body passed the flex test and did not leave a ding which is there in the Baleno (Baloon-o). The paint quality is again better than the baleno but orange peel is typical MS. More prominent in dark shades.

The first thing that came to me as a surprise was the bonnet opening lever. Its gola and needs to be pulled back like the 80s truck like lever you find in Etios/cheap datsun cars. maybe the word "retro" was taken a bit too seriously.
Loved the interior dash grain and door trim plastic grains and textures. After 3 decades, some maruti which looked "refreshing" from the inside. It took them 12 years to change the steering wheel.

Overall space for a car on small footprint is decent, headroom and legspace is good enough for 4 people, not for 5.
The keyless GO system works like a charm, and engine refinement at idle is as good as the baleno. No unwanted noise or vibration at all. Revved it a bit, liked the overall sound.

I think this vehicle as a whole is positioned as a multitasking car. Has polarizing looks, hell lotta customization options, you can see it playing the role of ballers, party poopers, hanky pankies, maybe many riced up versions with aftermarket headers and end cans (easy doing), even its targeted at female buyers who want convenience and style (AMT), actually what's missed is the electric greens, blues, reds and yellows. Maybe a flashy golden with black roof, perhaps?

I ended up liking up this car. Its quirky in unconventional sort of way. But, what if I had to buy?
Petrol, MT, Alpha. The diesel at 1.2 lakh premium is just not worth it, the AMT is another 20k too expensive to my liking, I think its an expensive toy for urban runabouts. But, people are here to pay as long as they get what they are paying for. I am an old dated school person, spoiled by my Punto's fort like body and super heavy steering, but hey, there is no age for jawaani josh?

I like the red with kaala roof option. But, maybe My fav colour is white. Can make my roof black or lipstick red, paint my claddings red, put a carbon fibre spoiler, or do many weirdos in that shade, yet can't get bored.
Life is too short to stay stock, isn't it?

Last edited by Mpower : 26th January 2017 at 09:14. Reason: readablilty
sidindica is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 23:07   #997
Senior - BHPian

Finally, it seems the dust of the first drive reviews has settled. While the reviews are in full applause of the ride quality, the international reviews for the same are in complete contrast with complaints on bumpy ride at high speeds. Looks like Maruti did some serious homework before they 'Indianized' the Ignis.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 09:45   #998
BHPian

I went to see the Ignis last evening. First off, I have to say that the Ignis looks a lot better in reality than in photos. My wife thought that the car looks weird and ugly in photos admitted that it does look a lot better in reality and that she actually likes it!

I'll skip the stuff that others have already written about here. Here are the things that caught my eye:

Rear seat back has 60:40 split but the floor is not flat after folding.

Pocket for bottle in the doors are quite small - maybe only a half litre bottle world fit.

No wheel well cladding at the rear and only partially in the front.

The bonnet switch and alarm siren mounting both look crude and aftermarket. No doubt they will work fine but I was surprised at the crudeness. Maybe some intern was assigned to design them?

Tyres were Bridgestone Ecopia. Just 175 mm wide but it's nice to see good quality tyres on a Maruti. We're more used to seeing poor quality JK & MRF.

No complaints about the ergonomics. I found a comfortable driving position quickly.

The narrow horizontal cavity on the passenger side of the dashboard seems useless. I can't think of any practical use for it.

Some models are already available in stock and the sales guy offered to deliver them next week! Test drives start on Monday or Tuesday.

I also sat in a Baleno for comparison. It's definitely more comfortable to sit in but the black interior is a bit dull.

I did the thumb press test on both the Baleno's door and the Ignis' door. The Ignis panel seemed a little stiffer than the Baleno's. But I'm pretty sure that Suzuki has used the same thickness of sheet metal in both cars for the doors - how else would the Ignis weigh even less than the Baleno? Only time will tell how well the car stands up to city life.

I'm waiting to drive the Ignis before I put down my money. The positive reviews from motoring media is definitely encouraging.
Motard_Blr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 09:48   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
This has resemblance with Ford Fusion in this angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
But for the Christmas tree tail lamp, I would have mistaken it for Yeti. Elegant, in my view.
In the angle photographed, it also has a certain resemblance to the Tata Indigo Marina.
Old 21st January 2017, 13:50   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
A disappointing perspective! It doesn't matter whether you are buying a Nano or a Lambo, it's important to check whether the car fits you. More than engine / interior part quality, the most important parameter to check in a car is the driver ergonomics. And this is the reason why anyone & everyone who plan to drive the car SHOULD take a TD.

Hello,

What I stated above was MY perspective. I have owned several Maruti cars in the past right from the M800, to the Omni ( I still own one ), to the 2nd Gen Swift ( my cousin's) and the older Baleno Sedan. I haven't found any discomfort in the driving position leading to a "compromised living" as you say. So, I trust that the Ignis too will be fine in these parameters.

As far as the new gen Swift with the shin hitting issue, I drove several of them and I don't have any problems like that. Similarly, not being able to see the dials was not a problem in any Maruti car I've ever driven. Yes, this is a problem in the older Tata Safaris.

See, that's why I mentioned the word "Trust". I trust the company enough to go ahead and book a vehicle and buy it without actually having seen or test driven the car. It's not that I'm being arrogant or careless with my money. (Even if I was, so what? My money but that isn't the case)

I live in Gangtok, Sikkim- 135 kms from the nearest Nexa Showroom located at Siliguri, West Bengal. In the hills, going to and fro 135 kms to check out a vehicle would take the better part of two days. And now the company informs me that apart from the test drive car, only 1 car has arrived- the variant and colour that I booked. If i didn't want it, they would pass it on to the next customer in line. So I went ahead and confirmed it. Yes, a test drive before actually buying would have been nice. But as far as the company Maruti is concerned, I don't really need one.

You might not agree, others might not agree but it's MY opinion and I'm stating it. I'm not as you say "advocating" it to anyone. And even if I was, it's not like I'm justifying some violent crime, so the sanctimonious attitude is a bit uncalled for :-)

I don't need to explain to anyone why I'm eagerly waiting for the Team BHP official review. Maybe I like the detailed way it's presented. Maybe I like the pretty pictures. Maybe I'm just bored. Maybe I'm the best judge of the review's intended benefit for me. It's a free country, friend. I can voice my opinion as long as I'm not hurting any one's sentiments or maligning anyone.

Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 21st January 2017 at 14:40. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 13:55   #1001

What about alloys? Punto, ecosports have same design, now ignis also joined them.
Old 21st January 2017, 14:04   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Guys! Let's calm down a little In the end, if the shoe was on the other leg, one would prefer to get the car ahead of other person who is waiting for a TD and likewise the person who has booked early will feel let down if they are passed by for a car just because he wanted a TD. Two sides of a coin, basically.

Supply and Demand is what it is at the end of the day. Let's hope the new plant in Gujarat supplies cars faster and that nobody has to end up waiting months for a car.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 15:23   #1003
Distinguished - BHPian

I had been to Nexa today. They have only Zeta variants on display. TD cars are Alpha and still in transit.

1. Ignis looks much much better in person. Its a cute compact car which is surprisingly very spacious inside.

2. There is loads of headroom.

3. Front seats are very comfortable, under thigh support of rear seats could have been better.

4. Boot is decent enough.

5. Interior plastic quality is better than Baleno and S-Cross ( I own both)

6. Doors are light weight and sheet metal thickness is almost same as Baleno.

7. Steering design is unique on Ignis compared to other Maruti cars

Front and side view is really good
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-img20170121wa0023.jpg

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-img20170121wa0021.jpg

Rear View: Love it or Hate it!! Reminds me of a froggy
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-img20170121wa0024.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 15:30   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I had been to Nexa today. They have only Zeta variants on display. TD cars are Alpha and still in transit.....
Rear View: Love it or Hate it!! Reminds me of a froggy
Had visited Bharath nexa a few days back and they have the delta and zeta variants on display. But from your pictures i guess i failed to notice the additional chrome fitting in the rear of the zeta during my visit. Or i guess its an accessory fitment by mandovi ?

Last edited by blackbandit : 21st January 2017 at 15:36.
Old 21st January 2017, 15:38   #1005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Had visited Bharath nexa a few days back and they have the delta and zeta variants on display. But from your pictures i guess i failed to notice the additional chrome fitting in the rear of the zeta during my visit. Or i guess its an accessory fitment by mandovi ?
It's an add on accessory. Looks over done and so out of place
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks