Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 17:06   #1096
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
For somebody who wants an Alpha with AT, can have a look at Figo AT. Its in similar price bracket, bigger and more powerful engine, Ford's driving dynamics (though not old Figo good) and a tad bigger car will be surplus. Though it's not a Maruti.

Im looking for a car replacement for my parents for their 3 year old I20. Ideally, a small, high set, petrol driven, city hatch back car with AT/ AMT, decent comfort, ease of ingress/ egress, reasonable luggage space for two people, all the safety kit, easy 'driveability' and 'parkability', a decently powerful engine for the occasional highway trip and the peace of mind/ ease of maintenance that comes with a Maruti or a Hyundai. Also there is a budget of about 7-8 lacs. Hence the Ignis.

We find the I20 really underpowered though it completely satisfies all the other criteria and is well loaded with features.

We know full well that the Ignis is a segment lower but are not worried about that either.

What other car can we consider apart from the Ignis which ticks all the above boxes.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th January 2017 at 17:07.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 17:08   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Saw the Ignis through the Nexa window today as it is a holiday.
Sadly they dont have the AMT in the Top Spec Alpha variant according to the chap I spoke to on the phone.
I wonder why MSIL is so short sighted.
Im wondering what to do...
The only thing to do is get the GT TSI! ;-)
Old 26th January 2017, 19:31   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Im looking for a car replacement for my parents for their 3 year old I20. Ideally, a small, high set, petrol driven, city hatch back car with AT/ AMT, decent comfort, ease of ingress/ egress, reasonable luggage space for two people, all the safety kit, easy 'driveability' and 'parkability', a decently powerful engine for the occasional highway trip and the peace of mind/ ease of maintenance that comes with a Maruti or a Hyundai.
What other car can we consider apart from the Ignis which ticks all the above boxes.
Drivability, safety features and a good DCT is what Figo gives. Ford cars used to be costly to maintain, not anymore. Hyundai spare parts are costlier than Ford ones.
An AMT is an AMT, it just can't match a DCT. Trust me, my dad has got a Zest diesel AMT and though it's proven to be OK, still not as good as the Ford's 6 speed DCT. That too with 200Nm of torque. With 110Nm of the Ignis, it would be strictly OK. Drive your options rather and decide yourself I would say.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 20:04   #1099
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
No reply yet, I tried calling nexa helpline they also confirmed some issue is there with registration thats why test drives could not be started on time but they had no clue about the current status. Let me try the twitter and FB.
I was visiting someone in Delhi today, and saw a spanking new Ignis parked in the apartment complex. Deliveries definitely have started
Old 26th January 2017, 20:20   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I was visiting someone in Delhi today, and saw a spanking new Ignis parked in the apartment complex. Deliveries definitely have started
Thanks, he is telling me that it will be registered and delivered tomorrow 100% for sure. Lets see if I get tomorow and if I want a new car then I will have to wait for another 4-6 weeks so guess I'll settle for this one only.
Old 26th January 2017, 22:20   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Im looking for a car replacement for my parents for their 3 year old I20.
Your requirements are matched by just one other car- the Grand i10!
Now that the Asta (O)AT gets airbags too, it makes a compelling argument.
Old 26th January 2017, 22:29   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Your requirements are matched by just one other car- the Grand i10!
Now that the Asta (O)AT gets airbags too, it makes a compelling argument.
Only problem I see with that is that it failed the crash test miserably and got zero star in the crash testings. So weak is the structure that even the Airbags won't be of any use.
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 22:38   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Only problem I see with that is that it failed the crash test miserably and got zero star in the crash testings. So weak is the structure that even the Airbags won't be of any use.
Oops! That rules it out! Do we have crash test results of the India spec Ignis?
Old 26th January 2017, 22:38   #1104
BHPian

Polo gt tsi is your answer then.
Old 26th January 2017, 23:40   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Oops! That rules it out! Do we have crash test results of the India spec Ignis?
India spec Ignis with dual airbags should get 3 stars (same as baleno).
Old 27th January 2017, 01:55   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw the Ignis through the Nexa window today as it is a holiday.
Sadly they dont have the AMT in the Top Spec Alpha variant according to the chap I spoke to on the phone.
I wonder why MSIL is so short sighted.
Looks great but still those bulbous wheel arches desperately call out for a tyre upsize. From the review I think the petrol is definitely the variant to go for.

AMT still has the "head nod." Seems to be much better in AMT manual mode. Regarding the AMT not being offered in top end trim, I believe it is because Maruti has a problem other manufacturers would love to have and that is a hefty backlog of orders. They may be discouraging customers from going for the AMT due to this perhaps. I think they should not offer the AMT for Nexa models at all given the premium positioning and stick with the CVT itself. I first experienced the AMT's head nod in an Ato K10 and was so irritating.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by ampere : 27th January 2017 at 09:24.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 09:19   #1107
BHPian

The reason AT transmission is not offered by OEMs in the top end variant is due to the price. With the additional amount that one shall be shelling out to get AMT/AT/CVT/DCT in top variant will end up entering the price band of higher segment

eg (ex showroom: Delhi)
Ignis Alpha Petrol: Rs 669,000
Additional cost of AMT: Rs 55,000
Net Cost: Rs 724,000

While the Baleno
Delta CVT: Rs 696,000
Alpha PL: Rs 721,000

It's true that people wanting an AT in the top trim get left out but this is the hard truth

Some may wonder why Dzire offers AMT only in the top trim (ZDi), I feel they were just testing customer response to AMT in Maruti Diesel cars and hence the roll out in Ignis Diesel

Considering the 1.2 Petrol & 1.3 Diesel with AMT, the next gen swift will also offer the same transmission (AMT).
CVT left only for Baleno for its premium image
Old 27th January 2017, 15:55   #1108
BHPian

Finally got my Zeta Petrol delivered today. Went for a 30km drive and found the ride quality to be very good. Driving position is high so visibility is great and the cabin has an airy feel. Engine is peppy and has a sporty grunt if revved hard.

On the minus side the steering is absolutely dead, its even lighter than the alto am driving. Its ridiculous to keep steering this light. White interiors need regular cleaning, I can already see dust and black spots. Overall I am happy and satisfied.

Last edited by rahul412 : 27th January 2017 at 16:06.
rahul412 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 16:19   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got my Zeta Petrol delivered today.

On the minus side the steering is absolutely dead, its even lighter than the alto am driving.
Congrats! Rahul. Finally, you got it. Enjoy your ride.

I guess, you've opted for Manual Version. Yes, the steering is very light. Be careful, while taking U turns.

Do post any other tit bits.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 16:37   #1110
BANNED

I guess the good ride quality in Ignis has something to do with the new Bridgestone Ecopia tyres used instead of the usual but long-lasting JK tyres and MRFs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks