Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2017, 22:57   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

I was thinking the Ignis is overpriced. After going thru the launch details of the Grand i10 - all I can say is Maruti has a winner.

The Ignis Vs Grand i10 will be an interesting sales battle to watch for and I think given the safety features and spread of the features across the variants the Ignis seems to be a much better value proposition as compared to the Grand i10 2017.

I guess in relative comparison with Maruti's own stable of cars and the overlap they have created, the Ignis is a question mark but when compared with Hyundai and Grand i10 - it seems a clear winner.
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 01:26   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep4u View Post
I got a chance to checkout Ignis few days back and felt that the seats are a bit too soft. Since maruthi designed ignis as a city car, seats might also be designed to be comfortable for short commutes. But during long trips it may cause back pain. Has anyone else felt so?
Humble request. Please do not call Maruti as 'Maruthi'

Being an ex Maruti guy, it really pains me when people are not even able to spell the name properly...
Old 7th February 2017, 08:09   #1203
BHPian

Happened to take a third test drive of Ignis petrol which clarified a lot of doubts on drivability in a manual. I drove at 20 Kmph in 4th and it was as good as an automatic. No jerks no knocking just pure refinement. Since I owned a Ritz I felt comfortable right from the word go and have all but identified it as a replacement. May check out Grand i10 once before I go ahead.
Old 7th February 2017, 10:43   #1204
BHPian

Saw an Ignis driving in front of me the other day, at first thought I felt that it is some sort of a 'Smart' car, the rear look seemed a little odd to me.
Only when I got close I realized it's the new offering from Maruti.
Old 7th February 2017, 11:08   #1205
BHPian

Wanted to add a viewpoint-

What value Maruti is adding by releasing new models?

Basically, I feel that all their cars are same. All have same suspension, front and rear. All have same engines.

The only difference is that their outer skin is different.

To me, Swift/Ritz/Baleno/Ignis/Brezza are all same cars with slightly different dimensions. I dont see any one of the other car's driving dynamics behaving differently, they are more of less the same.

Personally, I am not interested in buying any new car from Maruti yet because I feel I am buying the same old Swift.
aerohit is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 11:41   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

Basically, I feel that all their cars are same. All have same suspension, front and rear. All have same engines.

To me, Swift/Ritz/Baleno/Ignis/Brezza are all same cars with slightly different dimensions. I dont see any one of the other car's driving dynamics behaving differently, they are more of less the same.

Personally, I am not interested in buying any new car from Maruti yet because I feel I am buying the same old Swift.
They might have the same suspension setup and different dimensions but on road, all behave in a different way. There are multiple factors to take into account like GC, front and rear tread, even the height of the car. You must drive an Ignis followed by a Ritz to see the difference.
Old 7th February 2017, 12:17   #1207
BHPian

Quote:

Whether we like it or not, Maruti is not out there to 'add value' which is a subjective term anyway. They are in business to make a profit and maximize market share, and this strategy suits them just fine.
Old 7th February 2017, 12:52   #1208
BHPian

Quote:

Agree to this point of view from the perspective of bringing technological up-gradation in the sector, which a market leader with such a huge margin is easily placed to do. In my view, its s statement of discontent by an auto-lover, not a criticism of business philosophy by an analyst.
rsm97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 13:23   #1209
BHPian

Quote:

Pls check the below table, the volumes have increased from an average of 88K units in 2013 to 95K in 2014 to 107K in 2105 to 116K in 2106.

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-msil.jpg

The market share has increased from 47% to 51% during this period. Increasing market share on a base of 1 lac units is not an easy task. To put things in perspective Fiat is losing share on a base of 500 units.

This is because MSIL consistenly

# Upgraded existing models
# Phased out irrelevant models
# Launched relevant products @ appropriate prices

I see tremendous value that MSIL adds to itself as a company and its shareholders by releasing new and relevant models.

Also note that during this tenure companies like, Chevrolet, Nissan, Skoda, Fiat and VW have lost market share.
Reason: None of them launched an all new product. Nissan launched a sub brand Datsun (new brand/product in India), which incidentally is doing well than the parent company.

Companies like Hyundai, Mahindra, Honda, TATA, Toyota and Ford have sustained their market share to an extent because they have updated existing line up as well as launched new (next gen) products.

Now I hope you have got your answer.

Quote:
Isn't this the same case for Honda, the same 1.2/1.5 iVTEC and the 1.5 iDTEC in all models with similarly designed dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
Agree to this point of view from the perspective of bringing technological up-gradation in the sector, which a market leader with such a huge margin is easily placed to do.
To its credit MSIL

# Introduced the AMT, most affordable AT technology for the mass market. AMT is the reason for AT penetration/acceptance in mass market.
# SHVS, huge cost advantage for Ciaz and Ertiga. One of the main reason for Ciaz to overtake the city.
# Started launching quality products - S Cross, to be launched international Grand Vitara.
# Upgraded/launched products in line with customer demand and market preference.
# Going to launch the boosterjet engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
In my view, its s statement of discontent by an auto-lover, not a criticism of business philosophy by an analyst.
True

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 7th February 2017 at 13:47.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 13:59   #1210
BHPian

Quote:

I agree, there are a lot of similarities between all Maruti cars. Loads of parts sharing and a lot of similarity in the design cues.

But, isn't that the case with all brands? Honda has just 3 engines and each of them in a single state of tune powering every car of theirs from Brio to City / BR-V. At least Maruti is quite different here. They have petrol engines ranging from 1800 cc to 1400 cc. They also have 2 diesel engines in 3 different tunes.

Also, by this logic - Toyota is having the same diesel engine in a B2 segment Liva, C1 segment Etios and D1 segment Corolla.

Quote:
I partially agree and partially disagree here. Swift, Ritz and Dzire belong to the same platform. Baleno is an all new platform and Brezza shares its platform with S-Cross. Even though there are similarities in design - they are not close to being same cars with different dimensions. They are essentially different cars.

And having the same dynamics is not a bad thing. Maruti cars are decent handlers and have a good balance of ride and handling which is something we should be appreciating rather than faulting.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 15:29   #1211
Senior - BHPian

I quite feel the same. This probably is one of the reasons why I am not considering a Maruti as my next hatch replacement. I paid 5.5L for a multijet Ritz VDi in 2011 and I know many people who paid even less. I don't see what value is there for a car with the same engine, albeit in a slightly different tune, same old recycled parts car after car, pretty much similar driving characteristics but the price is now a lot more. The multijet now powers their cheapest Ignis right up to their most expensive S-cross. At least Hyundai don't plonk the same 1.1 on their more expensive cars and have a proper 1.1, 1.4, 1.6 and upwards as the cars move up in price. Sit in 1 Maruti and almost any other Maruti feels similar from inside thanks to parts sharing like the power windows buttons, gear levers, steering wheels, plastics, switches, knobs, seats (which btw are amazing especially the front ones)

Yes, but all said and done they sell more than anybody else month after month so why would they care about some cribbers like me.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 20:05   #1212

Took a test drive on last week on Thursday where they bought the car (Zeta AMT) to my office, though I had personally requested to get a MT version. The sales guy committed coming at 4 pm and ultimately landed at 8 pm in the dark. One hell of a horrible experience from Nexa. I felt the sales guy to be inadequately trained and upon a casual talk he revealed that he joined Nexa 3 months back from another Tata Motors dealer.

Was not able to appreciate/ criticise anything either from outside or inside because it was dark. Overall refinement was tolerable, but the AMT hangs as if you install Windows 10 onto a nineties system. I gave a heavier foot in the first gear and the AMT slotted into the 2nd with considerable lag and jerk. That's the reason I decided not to go with the AMT.

We again visited the Nexa showroom near Electronic city on Saturday with the promise of a MT test drive. Time allotted was 10 am and we reached there at 10:10. We got the car for test driving at 10:45 and that too again a AMT version. Common, this was really frustrating. Waited for another 10 minutes for the MT, which was an Alpha 1.2. This car is for my wife and, I don't know somehow she was really happy after the test drive. We ended up booking the Zeta 1.2 MT.

Overall the Nexa experience was poor and did not find the justification of a premium experience anywhere throughout the booking process. Now the waiting period is 4-8 weeks, which is really horrible.

But, yes I liked certain things:
  • The comfortable front seats
  • The visibility- both front & back
  • Bridgestone tyres wrapped onto 15" alloys
  • Ample ground clearance
  • Smoothness of the gear shifts
  • Overall fit & finish of the interior plastics
  • Boot space
  • Wide opening doors
  • Black plastic strip on the back bumper
  • Double shelved glove box

And, the ones which I hated:
  • Slider AC circulation switch
  • ICE unit
  • Only front mounted cabin light
  • Protruding wheel arches

Let's hope they deliver on time if not early.
sknglobal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 21:34   #1213
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I agree, there are a lot of similarities between all Maruti cars. Loads of parts sharing and a lot of similarity in the design cues.

But, isn't that the case with all brands? Honda has just 3 engines and each of them in a single state of tune powering every car of theirs from Brio to City / BR-V. At least Maruti is quite different here. They have petrol engines ranging from 1800 cc to 1400 cc. They also have 2 diesel engines in 3 different tunes.

Also, by this logic - Toyota is having the same diesel engine in a B2 segment Liva, C1 segment Etios and D1 segment Corolla.
Absolutely.

This is the case with most cars these days. Economies of scale I guess.

The underpinnings of the Audi Q3 for example as well as its engine, drive train, AWD system etc are almost identical to the Yeti but the Q3 is priced twice as much as the Yeti is - mainly for Brand Value.

This concept and execution holds good for almost all other car manufacturers who offer the same platforms with different design cues and features, under different brands, for different segments, at different price points.
Old 8th February 2017, 07:44   #1214
Distinguished - BHPian

After being nominated for the 2017 World Urban car, Suzuki Ignis is evaluated against Renault's Twingo.

Quote:
Verdict

First place: Suzuki Ignis

The boldly styled Ignis is a welcome addition to the crowded city car class. It doesn’t have the dynamic polish of the Skoda Citigo – especially the firm ride – but its blend of versatility, equipment, strong performance and value sees it finish ahead of the Twingo here. Optional Safety Pack is a must, though
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 07:51   #1215
BHPian

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

See the last line on optional safety pack being a must. Without availability of this option, what would be the verdict on the Indian version?

Similar opinion is seen in almost all International reviews, with the anti collision system and other premium equipment we are not having in the Indian version getting high praise.

Last edited by CoolFire : 8th February 2017 at 07:55.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks