Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 14:07   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Hi,

Took a test drive on last Sunday with Ignis petrol Alpha AMT. To be honest I compared this car with Swift since both of them are on my "what next car" list. Again I did not find much of a difference in drive quality. Being AMT I was not very comfortable to drive this version since it takes its own time to settle to the speed and power when you accelerate.

Few + points:
1. The rear seat height is better than swift since for elder people lower seats are nightmare to get off.
2. The dashboard looks different and new. The extended music system panel is unique.
3. Trunk capacity is good, far better than Swift.
4. Car looks small from outside but quite spacious from inside, may be the extended wheel buckets make the trick.

Rest is quite similar to that of Swift and why it should not be, since same K12 engine is in there

Price wise it is comparable to Swift. Again Swift is a proven machine. Ignis is yet to prove.

So I will wait for another year or so to either go for Swift or Ignis based on Ignis' reviews

Last edited by rajivtelang : 8th February 2017 at 14:08.
rajivtelang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 19:20   #1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi,
Took a test drive on last Sunday with Ignis petrol Alpha AMT.
You may have driven Zeta Petrol Amt as there is no Alpha variant with Amt offering. By the way I too share similar view about IGNIS.

Last edited by manson : 8th February 2017 at 19:29. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 8th February 2017, 21:02   #1218
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Ignis strike the right Chord as seen in reviews - UK,
Old 9th February 2017, 05:06   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Just had a look at the Ignis in person in Phoenix mall, Bangalore where the car was displayed. Well, it does look good when viewed from the front and has some decently laid out interiors. The dash design with the HU looks novel.
Unfortunately I didn't feel the build quality to be any different from the current offering by Maruti. I mean the way the car feels overall is as good as a swift, if not better. My perception is that this is a grossly overpriced car banking heavily on its differentiated looks.
Old 10th February 2017, 21:31   #1220
BHPian

At NEXA Chennai, futuristic styling
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-1.jpg  

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-2.jpg  

Old 10th February 2017, 22:20   #1221
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Unfortunately I didn't feel the build quality to be any different from the current offering by Maruti. I mean the way the car feels overall is as good as a swift, if not better.

Actually I always tend to consider Maruti's build quality as slightly 'tinny'.
This is not true of the Ignis at all.
It feels much more solid and tough. Even the doors close more reassuringly than the Gypsy which I currently have and the first gen Swift which I had some years ago.
The Ignis (like it or hate it) is definitely a very good offering from Maruti and despite its pricing, will still sell in some good measure.
Think on it.
One got the Gen 1 Swift ZXi at some 6.5 lacs on road Bangalore in 2005.
Today the Top Spec Ignis petrol is around 7.5 ish.
Its not much of a price difference really, considering the 12 intervening years and the corresponding drop in the value of the rupee, paisa for paisa!
I would say the Ignis does represent decent enough value for the money, all things considered, at this point in time!
Its a good little car overall. Lets not take away from that fact.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 05:45   #1222
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrive's first drive report of the Ignis

Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 07:29   #1223
BHPian

Pretty impressive review. Petrol seems better than Diesel despite the latter having the National engine of India.
Old 11th February 2017, 10:33   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Overdrive's first drive report of the Ignis
I am desperately waiting for Team BHP review of Ignis. Does any one here has any idea when will it be up.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th February 2017 at 11:50. Reason: Video link removed
roushan84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 11:05   #1225
Senior - BHPian

If that's the case then yet another 10000+ seller from Maruti.

The momentum is towards Petrol and despite the review we all know that the National Diesel engine is pretty good wrt FE, so win-win for Maruti. The Petrol one is decently priced too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
Pretty impressive review. Petrol seems better than Diesel despite the latter having the National engine of India.

Last edited by carwatcher : 11th February 2017 at 11:06.
Old 11th February 2017, 11:07   #1226
BHPian

It's a peppy one to drive due to featherweight dimensions of the car , coupled with great gearing and drivability. Having been on the market for a year for an auto I'll pick the manual soon. Just waiting to see the new City in flesh.
Old 11th February 2017, 11:54   #1227
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I have visited the Nexa showroom to check Maruti Suzuki Ignis in flesh and first impressions are very good.

Pros:
1) The front stance looks very bold and it scores 10/10 in mini-suv looks
2) Front quarters and wheel arches give Ignis a very bold look
3) Boot is bigger than Swift at 280 litres
4) Interior space is awesome for such a small SUV
5) Alloys looks awesome and Tyres size is perfect

Cons:
1) Rear is debatable and it is either love or hate design, but I personally think it will grow on you the more you see it.
2) The price of diesel variants is on higher side

Overall, a very good mini-suv, Maruti Suzuki is bang on with Ignis and their plan to sell with Nexa showroom is very thoughful.

Also, I have made a small video, please watch the walk around and excuse me for my video recording and editing as I am still amateur.

Old 13th February 2017, 13:35   #1228
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ignis gets a fantastic start. Bookings have also crossed 15,000 now.
Quote:
Maruti received over 6,000 bookings before the car was launched and another 15,000 bookings after the car was launched.
Link

Maruti Ignis Review in Hindi - First Drive

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th February 2017 at 13:56.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 11:02   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Saw one in flesh yesterday on an open highway in Blue. Front does look futuristic but the rear and that bulging wheel arch probably could have been done better. Looks more like an updated Wagon-R to me than a mini-SUV(or whatever it is being called), which essentially isn't a bad thing as we how our market loves the wagon-R. Definitely no SUV this, but is sure to rake in great numbers for Maruti. Grand i10/Swift might be affected?

Was feebly considering having a look at this for an upgrade from my current Estilo but doesn't look like an substantial upgrade for 8.15L OTR(Alpha 1.2 MT) bangalore. For that kind of moolah Elite i20 Sportz(1.2) or Baleno Zeta(1.2) seem better value proposition except for probably the mileage this would offer(2-3kmpl more?)

Will give this a pass for now and get back to waiting for Baleno RS

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th February 2017 at 11:05.
Old 14th February 2017, 11:24   #1230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Looks more like an updated Wagon-R to me than a mini-SUV(or whatever it is being called), which essentially isn't a bad thing as we how our market loves the wagon-R.

Was feebly considering having a look at this for an upgrade from my current Estilo but doesn't look like an substantial upgrade for 8.15L OTR(Alpha 1.2 MT) bangalore.

Will give this a pass for now and get back to waiting for Baleno RS
I completely agree that Ignis looks like a new gen WagonR. The size and space inside seem very similar. But when we look at the price, it is 40-50% more expensive. No doubt, MS has added a lot of features but when I am paying such a premium, I expect a bigger car with better space inside.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed