Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:02   #541
th2
BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

I do think the international spec Ignis (without maybe the AWD) would have sold in reasonable numbers here. Especially if they are selling it via Nexa. Now, it is just a replacement for the Ritz. May as well have sold it via regular Maruti showrooms.
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:20   #542
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The Indian version of the Ignis does lose some features that are either standard or optional on international variants (depending on the country).

One is the 50:50 split-folding & sliding rear seats, which effectively turns the rear seat into two bucket seats like at the front (the first Wagon-R in India also had this).

Also given a miss by Maruti Suzuki are the functional roof-rails with load-carrying ability. This should have been standard across the range, as the Ignis is essentially a micro-SUV being marketed as a lifestyle vehicle. Silly miss, if you ask me. Yes, after-market roof rails can be added, but they would be merely cosmetic (like on the Kwid) and not functional.

The Ignis & the larger Baleno are powered by the same engines in the same states of tune. It's good that the top (Alpha) variants of the Ignis (P - 860 kg & D - 960 kg) weigh almost the same as the entry (Sigma) variants of the Baleno (P - 865 kg & D - 960 kg) and not much less than the Baleno's top (Alpha) variants (P - 890 kg & D - 985 kg). Weight reduction sure has loads of benefits, but too much of it isn't necessarily a good thing.

Last edited by RSR : 3rd January 2017 at 10:42.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:29   #543
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
@Eddy can throw some light.
Yep, no rear sliding seats. The legroom & bootspace is quite generous for its size though
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:33   #544
BHPian

Went ahead and booked online the Ignis in Alpha Petrol variant. Was inclined to booking the AMT but as the AMT is not available in the top variant chose the Alpha in Tinsel Blue with midnight black. All previous cars have been of grey variations and as grey is not again available in Alpha booked the Tinsel Blue.

Still the mind is quite keen on the AMT as wife would also drive the car and hence planning to book the AMT ZETA in Grey colour and then decide which one to cancel!CONFUSED big time!

Also this would mean I would bid adieu to my Wagon R which has covered close to 80000 kms in three years and absolutely niggle free!

Waiting for Jan 13 and later the official review!
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-img20170103wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by rajinibm : 3rd January 2017 at 11:36. Reason: Removed a pic!
rajinibm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:47   #545
BHPian

While the Delta variant of Baleno is well equipped, the same variant on Ignis loses out some key features.
Zeta is the best equipped mid-variant in Ignis and the dual color options also make it a good buy.
Wonder why they left out white and silver from dual color variants.
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:03   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that omitting the CVT from the Ignis lineup is a grave mistake by Maruti.

For one, you are marketing the Nexa-exclusive car as a "premium urban compact car", yet are equipping it with an AMT, which you yourself, as a company, deemed as a "cost-effective alternative to more expensive AT transmissions" when you first brought it to the domestic market.

When the Baleno can have a CVT, why not the Ignis?

Also, the competition which the Ignis's higher variants will be up against (Grand i10, Brio, Micra, Figo), all have decidedly better AT transmissions on offer.

Even the now-discontinued Ritz (the car the Ignis is supposedly replacing) had a torque converter on offer!

I for one wouldn't be a happy chappy if I owned a premium car from the Nexa stable which shares it's automatic transmission with cars from 2 segments below (Nano, Alto), if we go by product positioning.

But then, most things are forgiven and overlooked when it's a Maruti. I bet that even a premium price for the Ignis AMT variants will be lapped up by the market - badge, ease of service and "26.2 kmpl" notwithstanding.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd January 2017 at 12:13. Reason: added a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:25   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
While the Delta variant of Baleno is well equipped, the same variant on Ignis loses out some key features.
Zeta is the best equipped mid-variant in Ignis and the dual color options also make it a good buy.
Wonder why they left out white and silver from dual color variants.

I had thought about this on the day I booked Baleno, coincidentally the Ignis was unveiled on the same day. After reading the posts on the unveiling, my mind was like whether to go ahead with Baleno or wait for the Ignis. Now, I have done the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I think that omitting the CVT from the Ignis lineup is a grave mistake by Maruti.

For one, you are marketing the Nexa-exclusive car as a "premium urban compact car", yet are equipping it with an AMT, which you yourself, as a company, deemed as a "cost-effective alternative to more expensive AT transmissions" when you first brought it to the domestic market.

I for one wouldn't be a happy chappy if I owned a premium car from the Nexa stable which shares it's automatic transmission with cars from 2 segments below (Nano, Alto), if we go by product positioning.

It's because of this, I stayed away from Ignis after I came to know that there won't be a CVT on offer. The same thing, I had questioned in this thread. Here's my quote of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Maruti will you offer the Petrol with a CVT ? Premium Gearbox for a Premium offering !! If it's AMT, I would stay away.
CarguyNish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:09   #548
BHPian

Diesel Automatic hatch

This will be the most attractive USP of the Ignis, even though its an AMT. This will be the first and the most affordable diesel AT hatch, and considering the segment positioning this looks feature rich

The diesel AT alone will pull in customer from other segments, the KUV 100 is in deep trouble. Even Grand i10, Figo and the likes will face the heat.

I see only 2 major features that Zeta loses over the Alpha

1. Driver seat height adjust
2. ACC

which should not be a deal breaker considering you get the convenience of the AT,

Rest all can be sourced in the market

1. LED Projector headlamps +DRL
2. Touch screen ICE
3. Rear view parking Camera

This along with the Baleno RS, 2017 Swift and the Ciaz facelift lined up, I think its time for MSIL to open up another manufacturing plant to cater to the demand since the Ignis too will take the market by storm and the waiting periods will shoot up.

Congratulations to those who have booked the IGNIS

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 3rd January 2017 at 13:11.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:17   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Diesel Automatic hatch

This will be the most attractive USP of the Ignis, even though its an AMT. This will be the first and the most affordable diesel AT hatch, and considering the segment positioning this looks feature rich

The diesel AT alone will pull in customer from other segments, the KUV 100 is in deep trouble. Even Grand i10, Figo and the likes will face the heat.
I think Tiago beats Ignis in offering diesel AMT hatch first in India.
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:16   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Is Maruti Suzuki Ignis here to break some record in terms of bookings?

Quote:
Bookings for the Ignis have been opened for a token amount of ₹ 11,000 for both petrol and diesel variant and seems to have already become a popular car with the Indian public as it already commands a waiting period of 4 to 6 weeks for the petrol variant and 7 to 8 weeks for the diesel version.
Link
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:38   #551
th2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Is Maruti Suzuki Ignis here to break some record in terms of bookings?

Link
Not really. I was the 4th person to book at the showroom and I was quoted the same 4-6 week figure. I think while the launch will be on the 13th, deliveries will start from Feb only.
th2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:56   #552
BHPian

Suzuki seems to be riding on the crest of a wave which just keeps moving upward. Having looked at the pics and the features of the car - I thought it was more of a miss than a hit. But the bookings certainly contradict my views. To be honest, it looked more like a funky Wagon-R to me - similar dimensions with a lot more bells and whistles. The chaps at Suzuki seem to be on a roll after the Kizashi disaster - all the launched have been hits or semi-hits; no duds except for the pricing of the S-cross which was corrected. Surely the likes of Honda and VAG would like to recruit some of the top management from Suzuki India.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:24   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
Variants!

Petrol: Sigma, Delta, Delta-AMT, Zeta, Zeta-AMT, Alpha and a 'Taxi' variant (w & w/o AMT).

Attachment 1589840

Diesel: Delta, Delta-AMT, Zeta, Zeta-AMT, Alpha and Taxi variant (w & w/o AMT)

Attachment 1589841

Alpha misses out on AMT. Plenty of variants nevertheless.
Woah! Diesel AMT Taxi. This might be a really good thing if priced well for our overstressed, overworked cab drivers. I was in an Uber a few weeks back and the traffic was horrendous so I asked the driver why didn't he buy the AMT version of his car since he seemed really irritated with the traffic. He said the RTO doesn't let them or Maruti doesn't let them buy or something. That was news to me, but I didn't verify it.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:46   #554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Premium is a relative term, and just for the safety features coming in as standard in the Ignis, it does call for a premium tag. All variants with ABS and dual airbags, ISOFIX mounts, Pedestrian protection, crash-impact safety etc. are not something we get to see on a standard Maruti offering (e.g.; Brezza).

AMT or CVT, I am actually happy with the fact that they are not pulling out a glorified Wagon R with the Ignis.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:29   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I think Tiago beats Ignis in offering diesel AMT hatch first in India.
Knowing TATA , I'm sure Ignis diesel AT will hit the market first and thus MSIL will have the first mover advantage.

Moreover MSIL, with its marketing might, will ensure that the USP is highlighted to the extent that except for people like us, no one else knows that Tiago has a diesel AT.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 3rd January 2017 at 16:31.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed