Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 17:41   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I think Tiago beats Ignis in offering diesel AMT hatch first in India.
It's still in the works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Woah! Diesel AMT Taxi. This might be a really good thing if priced well for our overstressed, overworked cab drivers. I was in an Uber a few weeks back and the traffic was horrendous so I asked the driver why didn't he buy the AMT version of his car since he seemed really irritated with the traffic. He said the RTO doesn't let them or Maruti doesn't let them buy or something. That was news to me, but I didn't verify it.
The problem is, there are no CNG + AMT option in the market. It's either AMT + petrol or Manual + CNG which doesn't work in favour of the taxi market (all of them seem to be content with option 2).

Otherwise, the Diesel + AMT option is available for Zest, but it's quite expensive and I doubt anyone would want to spend that much on a taxi car. Hence, this deal of AMT + diesel combination on the base Ignis is a very good deal for any taxi owners / drivers in this crazy traffic conditions. The bigger advantage is the free boot space for those airport / intercity runs which a CNG car doesn't benefit from.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd January 2017 at 17:43.
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 19:16   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Premium is a relative term, and just for the safety features coming in as standard in the Ignis, it does call for a premium tag. All variants with ABS and dual airbags, ISOFIX mounts, Pedestrian protection, crash-impact safety etc. are not something we get to see on a standard Maruti offering (e.g.; Brezza).

AMT or CVT, I am actually happy with the fact that they are not pulling out a glorified Wagon R with the Ignis.
My point was not about the Ignis as an overall package, but the Ignis AMT and it's stake to claim for a premium tag.

I am in agreement about all what you have said regarding safety features, vb (although I don't consider a 3-star Euro NCAP rating as a true stamp of absolute safety for a car, and it's Indian counterpart is yet to be tested anyway). Hence it was all the more imperative that Maruti didn't skip on the premium factor in convenience, and given the Ignis a CVT at least.

It's a given that the Ignis will be coming in the Hyundai Grand i10's price range, and even the Hyundai has, although an archaic 4-speed, torque converter.

Rajeev's chart, which I shared in my previous post, clearly shows where the AMT's positioning is, in the list of automatic transmissions.

There used to be a time when engines and transmissions used to define a car, but in the relentless pursuit of customers' preferences for more and more glitzy features, cabin/boot space and mileage, it seems like the one true thing which was used to measure a car's competency has been forgotten (or forgiven, from the customers' perspective).

As for the overall package, let's see what we are missing:

- no 1.0L Boosterjet,
- no 1.2L Dualjet,
- no All-Grip (AWD/4x4),
- no TC/CVT transmission,
- no side or curtain airbags,
- no dual-camera brake support (DCBS),
- no SHVS.

Not to mention that the Ignis will be the Nth car to have the 1.2L petrol and the 1.3L diesel, which powers the entire Maruti range from the Ritz to the S-Cross, yet 3 of those cars are premium offerings!

But, as it has been happening with every other recent Maruti, it will be a resounding sales success.

In the end, it depends on what the "it's-a-Maruti-all-is-forgiven" customer defines the Ignis AMT as:

Is it the most expensive hatchback offering with an AMT? If yes, is it worth the price?

Or,

Is it the cheapest premium hatch with an automatic transmission (since it's being sold through a premium channel and boasts of a long list of safety features AND a 3-star safety rating)?

I know the "it's-a-Maruti-all-is-forgiven" customer will choose the latter, and do his/her bit to ensure the Ignis is a grand success in the days/months/years to come.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd January 2017 at 19:19.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:04   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Is Maruti Suzuki Ignis here to break some record in terms of bookings?
The Display Cars will arrive on 13th Jan followed by the Test Drive Cars. The Nexa Website is allowing any changes in variant or Colour till 23rd Jan. So, we can assume that actual production for the customers starts around 23rd Jan. Add transportation of about 3-10 days to reach the Showroom and another couple of days to handover to the Customer. So, Deliveries should start from Second Week of February.

@th2 is right. Even the First Customer to book might get his Car around 2nd week of February. First batch, they're manufacturing Petrol Version followed by the Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

There used to be a time when engines and transmissions used to define a car, but in the relentless pursuit of customers' preferences for more and more glitzy features, cabin/boot space and mileage, it seems like the one true thing which was used to measure a car's competency has been forgotten (or forgiven, from the customers' perspective).

You've taken words out of my mouth. Wish, we could get barebones and mad max style of vehicles, without any electronics.. Every Driver had a different style of driving, but nowadays, electronics are taking over.
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:57   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Payment of INR 11k and cancellations are fully refundable.The priority and allotment numbers will start from today's booking.
Are you sure its fully refundable? The site says the Color and Variant can be changed.
Old 3rd January 2017, 22:03   #560
BHPian

Posting the variant-wise comparison taken from the feature list provided on Ignis website.

Sigma variant comes only with Petrol option.

AMT is offered in Delta and Zeta variants. Offering in Zeta seems a reasonable choice than Alpha, as a customer who is preferring Auto wont be missing much in Zeta compared to Alpha variant.

Common Features:

Features common across all the variants.

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-0-common-features.jpg

to Maruti for offering ABS & Dual Airbags on all the variants.

Sigma vs Delta:

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-1-sigma-vs-delta.jpg

Delta vs Zeta:

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-2-delta-vs-zeta.jpg

Zeta vs Alpha:

The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-3-zeta-vs-alpha.jpg

Attaching the excel sheet too in case anyone wants to do further customization of the variant comparison.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Ignis.xlsx (30.5 KB, 802 views)
mrbaddy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 22:11   #561
BHPian

What's pedestrian protection?
Old 3rd January 2017, 22:41   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The Indian version of the Ignis does lose some features that are either standard or optional on international variants (depending on the country).

One is the 50:50 split-folding & sliding rear seats, which effectively turns the rear seat into two bucket seats like at the front (the first Wagon-R in India also had this).
That would have made the car so cool for city use.

If I recall correctly, the WagonR with 50/50 split was registered as a 4 seater and Hyundai used that aggressively in the print campaigns to market Santro which was a 5 seater. Maybe MSIL didn't want a repeat of that episode.
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 06:47   #563
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
One is the 50:50 split-folding & sliding rear seats, which effectively turns the rear seat into two bucket seats like at the front (the first Wagon-R in India also had this).

Also given a miss by Maruti Suzuki are the functional roof-rails with load-carrying ability. This should have been standard across the range, as the Ignis is essentially a micro-SUV being marketed as a lifestyle vehicle.
These features are available in cars like the Skoda Yeti.
The former feature makes absolute sense because the Yeti and the Ignis both, are actually comfy when seating just 4 people. But neither of these vehicles are really meant to lug 5 people about here and there.

The functional load carrying roof-rails are also there on the Yeti - all one needs to do is buy a Thule Roof Box and bolt it on.

I always do personally appreciate function over form. I wonder why our car manufacturers, especially in India, always focus only on Form over Function!

Yes, I do understand our Indian mind set and unwillingness to pay beyond a certain price as also the innate tendency to achieve a particular "look" but without the "substance" behind it.

Saying that, at least the manufacturers could offer the "functional" variants "on order" and perhaps even at a "premium" or "additional cost" for the few enthusiastic people out there!

This above has been my constant lament and refrain, for the last so many years and I ve been pretty vociferous about the same via letters to the editors of some of the Auto Magazines and of course, regular rumblings and grumblings on TBHP...

No action so far, but I shall soldier on!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 10:38   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
What's pedestrian protection?
Its probably the shape of the front and impact absorbing hood (read thin sheet metal). But since this is kind of a pseudo suv, many will negate this pedestrian protection by installing bull bars.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 10:41   #565
BHPian

Booked AMT ZETA at NEXA Dwarka & was quoted a waiting period of 4-6 weeks as well. I think its the standard period which Maruti is giving everyone. I am tempted to go for Alpha even though its manual ( will decide when its launched).
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 11:41   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
Booked AMT ZETA at NEXA Dwarka & was quoted a waiting period of 4-6 weeks as well. I think its the standard period which Maruti is giving everyone. I am tempted to go for Alpha even though its manual ( will decide when its launched).
Does AMT Zeta have extra features compared to Zeta Manual? Maybe some bits of Alpha.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:42   #567
BHPian

Can someone comment on the longevity of LED Projector Headlamps and DRLs and the replacement cost if it gets faulty? I am guessing a defective DRL would require the entire Headlamp unit to be replaced.

Also is the standard warranty and extended warranty for MSIL cars 2+2 years? I was unable to find this info from Nexa website.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:57   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Does AMT Zeta have extra features compared to Zeta Manual? Maybe some bits of Alpha.
No, sadly Maruti don't have any plans of the same. With No Automatic in Alpha Trim, I was expecting some features to be carried for the Zeta (AMT Only) version. I guess, they don't want to cannibalize the sales of Baleno, especially the Mid Petrol Version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
Can someone comment on the longevity of LED Projector Headlamps and DRLs and the replacement cost if it gets faulty? I am guessing a defective DRL would require the entire Headlamp unit to be replaced.

Also is the standard warranty and extended warranty for MSIL cars 2+2 years? I was unable to find this info from Nexa website.
It depends on the complexity of the Headlamp Assembly. Also being OEM, I don't think there will be any damage to the Headlamps unless the car is involved in Accident.

Regarding Warranty, it will be the same 2+2 years. Don't think it will change for this Ignis. You might ask your dealer for better clarification.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 12:11   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
It depends on the complexity of the Headlamp Assembly. Also being OEM, I don't think there will be any damage to the Headlamps unless the car is involved in Accident.

Regarding Warranty, it will be the same 2+2 years. Don't think it will change for this Ignis. You might ask your dealer for better clarification.
We own a Brezza. Had a bit of mishap in the garage where a pole hit the front left at very slow speed. The headlamp slightly cracked from the inside and had to replace the entire thing.
anycatd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 12:15   #570
BHPian

Maruti could have at least Projector Headlamps (without HIDs or LEDs) in the Zeta variant.

They did the same mistake in Baleno Zeta as well.

OT - Maruti silently skipped mentioning that Baleno Alpha variant has different tail lamps than the other lower variants.

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 4th January 2017 at 12:17.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks