Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2017, 16:36   #1141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
Regarding ride quality am sure the Tyre pressure in the test drive vehicle must be 45-56 PSI. I had felt the same too after taking delivery of my car, Immediately brought it down to co. recommended 36 and 32 & ride immediately became planted & balanced. I am actually now loving the ride quality as I never expected it to be so smooth and stable.
Thanks. That thought did cross my mind since no one else complained about ride quality. Ride quality was the only reason we didn't go ahead with Baleno. Will try at some other dealership. God knows why they inflate it so high.
Old 30th January 2017, 21:35   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Was in a bit confusion on my next car. Plan was either ignis or swift. Pricing is the deciding factor in addition to quality. Swift is a proven car and nothing needs to be said. Ignis a totally new being and overpriced is already been removed from my choices. Will book a swift vxi (o) soon.
Old 30th January 2017, 21:58   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Will book a swift vxi (o) soon.
Add 35k and you get a Baleno - OTR difference without any discount factors.
Baleno gives you more kit as well like Auto AC, spoiler, rear wiper and the likes though Baleno's initial batch overall quality was/is really questionable.
Old 30th January 2017, 22:12   #1144
BHPian

Test drove the ignis petrol MT today at Bharath nexa, Mangalore.

Well gotta say the car is FTD in the city. To begin with the car is small and powerful, the perfect combo for an indian scenario. It feels light and extremely small and very chuckable like a gokart. You can easily close in gaps and the 1.2 is definitely a gem. It sounds sweet when revved as well, Felt the engine noise inside the cabin to be slightly more than that of the baleno. So yeah NVH levels are not upto mark when the engine is revved, But i personally would prefer it this way as the sound is something to get addicted to. But the engine is dead silent when the rpm is kept below 2k and driven sedately or during idle. The car is definitely not dead at any gear. It effortlessly pulls even from 3rd gear after slowing down considerably. The vehicle seemed stable enough for legal speeds but the steering spoils all the fun. Its extremely light and totally dead. Took a hard corner and i felt the loss of control. It is not direct nor precise. Definitely not the confidence inspiring types. The clutch is feather light and i noticed a slight play in the clutch of the TD car. The brakes feel typical maruthi nothing to write home about. As for the looks the rear end design and side profile is totally not to my liking. However the front end looks sweet. It has an innocent type delightful look and the led drls and projectors add to the cuteness of the vehicle.

Overall its a fun car that feels like a gokart and is best suited for city driving. But would i buy it? its again subjective. If i were to search for an alternate city car i would definitely consider it but again i would look elsewhere for alternatives considering the pricing. The vehicle is definitely not VFM especially in its diesel avatar.
blackbandit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 07:11   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Ignis Delta Petrol: 536508
Ignis Delta Petrol AMT: 592486
Difference: 55,978

Ignis Zeta Petrol: 593503
Ignis Zeta Petrol AMT: 649481
Difference: 55,978

That's a difference of around INR 56,000 between the variants with and without AMT. And that is about INR 63,000 OTR Kerala. With each new launch, MSIL is slowly increasing the premium for AMT variants. When AMT debuted on the Celerio, the premium was about 38,000.

And its not just about Nexa. The facelifted WagonR (the one with the Stingray body shell) is also showing an increase. The premium is a bit less compared to Ignis though.

WagonR VXi+ (O): 489084
WagonR VXi+ (O) AMT: 536498
Difference: 47,414

For this price difference, they should at least equip the AMT cars with a hill hold. How I miss the good old torque converter units!

Ignis should have been equipped with a TC unit or a CVT. And the well priced petrol MT variants doesn't help the case of AMT either.

Last edited by Eddy : 31st January 2017 at 09:31. Reason: Corrected typo
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 18:51   #1146
BHPian

Went to check out the ignis on the week after republic day. Man, I must say it has a promising look on the front. However, the rear looks straight-forward according to me. The interiors are surely better than all the other interiors MSIL offers. The car on display was the Zeta Variant. Test drives hadn't started then. I was told that I will be given a call when the TD vehicle was available. However,haven't got a call till today.
I am amazed by the price Maruti is asking for the ignis. Some people might find it expensive whereas some might find it fine. However, I personally feel that the ignis is a bit expensive considering what it offers.
Overall,it's a nice car and I would love to make it a part of my garage though it's expensive.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st February 2017 at 08:31. Reason: typo corrected
Old 1st February 2017, 00:46   #1147
Team-BHP Support

Had a short drive of the Ignis AMT with fellow mod Jaggu who was looking for a replacement to his wife's old Santro AT.

As i mentioned in my earlier post, it is inexplicable why Maruti did not launch the Alpha AMT in the Ignis atleast with the Petrol motor. It would have been sweetly priced at 8.5L on road bangalore and was worth the additional 60 odd K over the Zeta. As it stands the Zeta AMT is not VFM and I personally wouldn't consider it. The Alpha AMT would be a viable option.

The AMT gearbox works very decently with the 1.2L petrol and results in a much nicer drive quality vs the Alto and Celerio 1.0L motors. A lot of the AMT jerks and lag are masked by the additional torque and refinement of the 1.2L engine. Performance is also quite peppy. What I did not like was the occasional jerk when the AMT would change from 1 to 2. This would happen when you were in stop go traffic and not when you were starting from standstill on an empty stretch. If you were to accelerate and then again back off slightly or modulate throttle in traffic, the gearbox would give a jerk when changing from 1 to 2. After it moves into 3rd the gearbox is very decent and actually very quick to downshift. There is a head nod or delay when the gear changes occur but it's less perceptible than the Alto/Celerio. Thanks to the more refined and rev happy K12 engine, you can use the manual mode and have some fun with it as it gives very good engine braking with a raspy engine note.

NVH levels are overall very good and the suspension also works well. Steering is a major downer. Absolutely no feel and is overly light, doesn't even self centre. Feels like a Playstation wheel.

We also drove the Baleno CVT (Zeta) which is 1.4L more than the Ignis Zeta AMT. In terms of features the Baleno is way ahead with climate control, seat height adjust, tilt and telescopic steering, colour MID, ambient lighting, leather wrapped steering etc...On top of that you get a larger more premium car and an imported proper AT CVT gearbox. If you look at it, the 1.4L additionally is not so bad over the Ignis! The CVT is very peppy at slow speeds but as speeds build up, there is some delay and no sense of urgency. The CVT needs to be driven with a light foot and calm cruising mode. The AMT allows you a little more fun here.

If Maruti had launched the Alpha AMT Ignis at ~8.5L on road which would have more features than the Baleno Zeta CVT (Smart play touch screen system, reversing camera, LED projector headlights...), it would have made a stronger case for itself since it would still be 80-90K lesser than Baleno but would have some additional goodies.

With the Zeta AMT I find no value and after seeing 3-4 Zeta Ignis on the road, I am not very impressed by the cars looks and the Zeta headlights make it look like just another Maruti.

I'll let Jaggu add his impression as well as his wife's.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st February 2017 at 00:50.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 03:49   #1148
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Had a short drive of the Ignis AMT with fellow mod Jaggu who was looking for a replacement to his wife's old Santro AT.
NVH levels are overall very good and the suspension also works well. Steering is a major downer. Absolutely no feel and is overly light, doesn't even self centre. Feels like a Playstation wheel.

We also drove the Baleno CVT (Zeta) which is 1.4L more than the Ignis Zeta AMT. In terms of features the Baleno is way ahead with climate control, seat height adjust, tilt and telescopic steering, colour MID, ambient lighting, leather wrapped steering etc...On top of that you get a larger more premium car and an imported proper AT CVT gearbox. If you look at it, the 1.4L additionally is not so bad over the Ignis! The CVT is very peppy at slow speeds but as speeds build up, there is some delay and no sense of urgency. The CVT needs to be driven with a light foot and calm cruising mode. The AMT allows you a little more fun here.

If Maruti had launched the Alpha AMT Ignis at ~8.5L on road which would have more features than the Baleno Zeta CVT (Smart play touch screen system, reversing camera, LED projector headlights...), it would have made a stronger case for itself since it would still be 80-90K lesser than Baleno but would have some additional goodies.

With the Zeta AMT I find no value and after seeing 3-4 Zeta Ignis on the road, I am not very impressed by the cars looks and the Zeta headlights make it look like just another Maruti.

I'll let Jaggu add his impression as well as his wife's.
Thanks for this quick impression.

Question 1:
Did you like the ride quality in the Ignis?

Question 2:
Which variant of the Baleno is the most worthwhile according to you?

Question 3:
Does the Top Spec Baleno come with the CVT AT?

Question 4:
In your opinion how do you find the Baleno's steering vis a vis the Ignis? (By the way I second your opinion of the Ignis's steering.)

Question 5:
Since it is the same 1.2 L engine doing duty in the Baleno, in your opinion, is the heavier Baleno a bit of a slug on the road, with that 1.2 engine, as compared with the Ignis?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 05:49   #1149
BHPian

The pricing policy of vehicles is a very complex decision driven not only by profit. For example, Toyota pricing and feature list is heavily influenced by market survey and they have a clear internal policy on what features to give in which variants, based on vehicle segment. This survey again is an annual thing and keeps the company updated to the needs of the consumers.

I am very sure Maruti has also a very close ear to the ground and knows what features are required for a given vehicle segment and at what price. Based on what we know as suppliers, 50-70% of Maruti sales are from middle variants. The share of higher variants is more for costlier models.

My personal take on Ignis pricing are as follows:
1) The diesel is not a variant for sales numbers.It is a brochure requirement to show multiple variants and combinations.In any case they are short of diesel engine capacity even now and order engines from FIAT.

2) The AMT demand supply gap still exists. So, Maruti's main focus model is definitely gasoline manual versions. Again, the AMT has been introduced to keep the perception going that Maruti has automatics in its line up.The share of AMT is anyway low in total sales.

3) The Ignis is not a premium car by any stretch of imagination. It is a standard Suzuki quality product for Japan. It seems premium in India because of the abysmally low levels of quality that Maruti has proliferated in India. Suzuki is finally bringing standard quality products to India without trimming the edges. So, now we will slowly see that Maruti vehicles are no longer as cheap as they used to be. Sure, their margins are much lower than all other makers, even Mahindra. They depend on volumes to make up.
Since Ignis volume targets will definitely be lower ( my guess around 50,000 to 60,000 a year), so pricing power dissipates. Hence, the sticker price shock.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st February 2017 at 06:22. Reason: Edited post for formatting.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 08:38   #1150

Delivery of my already booked Ignis Zeta delayed again for third time(booked it on 7 th Jan). Now they are again stipulating another 10-15 days time for delivery. I am also fed up with the Nexa premium service where they typically beat the same drum like ''Sir, we have got so many customer's booking, waiting period has so gone up. So many customers are in queue.....". This high handedness makes me feel I am not buying a car, but have come to a bank in demonetised time to withdraw my money where they are rationing as per their priorities.

Meantime I am shocked to see Figo Trend Diesel is only 9k costlier than the Ignis Petrol Zeta AMT.

Exshowroom price at Kolkata-
Figo Trend Diesel 1.5 - 6.64 lac
Ignis Zeta AMT Petrol - 6.55 lac

Now seriously contemplating to let go the convenience of AMT and piece of mind(in terms of after sales service) for a bigger car with bigger engine and better efficiency.
Seahorse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 09:15   #1151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thanks for this quick impression.

Question 1:
Did you like the ride quality in the Ignis?
Yup. Maruti usually does a good job with the suspension tuning when it comes to ride quality and the Ignis is no different. Rides very well.

Quote:
Question 2:
Which variant of the Baleno is the most worthwhile according to you?
The Baleno Zeta CVT is the top most spec that comes with the CVT and is the most VFM. The Delta is also available but loses a lot of features.

Quote:
Question 3:
Does the Top Spec Baleno come with the CVT AT?
Nope even with the Baleno, they don't offer the top spec Alpha CVT. As a result you get the Zeta and miss out on the HID projector lights with LED DRL, SMartplay touch screen system and other features.

But if you compare the Zeta of Ignis and Baleno, you will see that the Baleno gets climate control, telescopic steering, colour MID, footwell illumination even in the Zeta spec. The Alpha additionally has projector HID lights, smartplay system and reverse camera.

Quote:
Question 4:
In your opinion how do you find the Baleno's steering vis a vis the Ignis? (By the way I second your opinion of the Ignis's steering.)
Much much better than the Ignis, It's got some weight to it and even some feedback. It's still a very light steering but nothing like the Ignis as it has more feel to it.

Quote:
Question 5:
Since it is the same 1.2 L engine doing duty in the Baleno, in your opinion, is the heavier Baleno a bit of a slug on the road, with that 1.2 engine, as compared with the Ignis?
The Baleno is already light. The Ignis is probably 30-40kilos lighter and you would be hard pressed to notice any difference between the 2. The Swift in comparo is 100kilos heavier. Both the Baleno and Ignis get their performance and mileage courtesy their light weight body.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 11:41   #1152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As i mentioned in my earlier post, it is inexplicable why Maruti did not launch the Alpha AMT in the Ignis atleast with the Petrol motor. It would have been sweetly priced at 8.5L on road bangalore and was worth the additional 60 odd K over the Zeta. As it stands the Zeta AMT is not VFM and I personally wouldn't consider it. The Alpha AMT would be a viable option.
Point 1 - check!

Quote:
Steering is a major downer. Absolutely no feel and is overly light, doesn't even self centre. Feels like a Playstation wheel.
Point 2 - the better half felt can be disastrous in her hands, she drives a hydrolic steering santro right now.

Quote:
We also drove the Baleno CVT (Zeta) which is 1.4L more than the Ignis Zeta AMT. In terms of features the Baleno is way ahead with climate control, seat height adjust, tilt and telescopic steering, colour MID, ambient lighting, leather wrapped steering etc...On top of that you get a larger more premium car and an imported proper AT CVT gearbox. If you look at it, the 1.4L additionally is not so bad over the Ignis!
Point 3 - and added fact that the better half hated the white and el cheapo HU.

Quote:
Point 4 check!

Quote:
The Baleno is already light. The Ignis is probably 30-40kilos lighter and you would be hard pressed to notice any difference between the 2. The Swift in comparo is 100kilos heavier. Both the Baleno and Ignis get their performance and mileage courtesy their light weight body.
Point 5 - and the fact that one is getting a more premium car that can easily do 500-600 kms long runs in super comfort makes the baleno a better option right now. Heck i would just go with baleno for that "all black interior" and climate control itself. But then the size is a practical problem for the better half, she is a very casual driver who uses a car as it should be used, to commute from point A to B. Cares nothing for maintaining it like a Team BHPian would. So for that only one point i still have Ignis in my head.

Now since Maruti has messed up on pricing as well as models, we are moving one slot more and going to test drive the Eco Sport Auto this weeked how a manufacturer messes up ones dreams of owning a simple city car!

Jokes apart Viddy has covered the car pretty much. For me the tranny was not a big deal, infact Viddy asked me "aren't you manipulating the throttle for smooth gear shifts?" when i drove the car. Yes it can be managed to give a great feel, but doesn't come natural, the shift quality ie. It is fun and peppy for sure, and i suspected the tyres were over inflated! With 5 adults on board the AMT was more eager in comparison to the Baleno CVT, even with a heavier right foot.

Steering is a dud for Ignis, you have to use one hand to load and the other hand to turn if you need any sort of feedback from it.

Overall i would rate the car at 4 out of 5, esp looking the current crop of automatics available under 8 lakhs. Baleno would be 4.5 for reference sake.
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:29   #1153
BHPian

For those interested in "kitna deti hai". This is after I was stuck in mad traffic jam for 45 mins. Haven't really taken it above 80 kmph. It touches 80kmph in the 5th gear @ leisurely 2000rpm.
Driven only in city with almost no AC.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-1485950360900.jpg  

Last edited by rahul412 : 1st February 2017 at 17:33.
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:50   #1154
Team-BHP Support

I notice that it's only 3.3 km since the last trip A reset. There is a function where the FE meter gets refreshed automatically with the tripmeter. If that was the case, this figure is not reliable.

Not questioning the FE, but just want to clarify.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:55   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
For those interested in "kitna deti hai". This is after I was stuck in mad traffic jam for 45 mins. .
The real FE figure to depend on is tankfull to tankfull.
Question : When was the last time when you reset the FE meter?

And across how many kms is this FE showing?
This will give us a clear idea about FE, but frankly speaking these FE meter show 1-2kmpl higher readings.( Speaking from my experience )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
There is a function where the FE meter gets refreshed automatically with the tripmeter.
Yes, there is a function to reset the FE meter automatically when car is re-fuelled, also one can do it manually.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed