Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2017, 11:42   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Was feebly considering having a look at this for an upgrade from my current Estilo but doesn't look like an substantial upgrade for 8.15L OTR(Alpha 1.2 MT) bangalore. For that kind of moolah Elite i20 Sportz(1.2) or Baleno Zeta(1.2) seem better value proposition except for probably the mileage this would offer(2-3kmpl more?)

Will give this a pass for now and get back to waiting for Baleno RS
Ignis is good, but at the same time, the Baleno looks more VFM for Similar Price. The reason why Ignis is selling well is because of "None of a Kind" Looks, I call it a Quirky looking WagonR . If there was a CVT instead of AMT, it would have been a good option.

If I have to pick between the Baleno & Ignis, it would be the former despite the later being perceived of having better Build, Fit & Finish, Quality etc.

Ignis is having lower claimed FE compared to Baleno. I have a Petrol Baleno & it returns 15 kmpl (100% AC) in city traffic at speed of less then 20 kmph. On Highways, it is returning a very good 21.5 kmpl (Driven at Average speed of 110 kmph). I guess the Ignis will be slightly lower.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 11:55   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I completely agree that Ignis looks like a new gen WagonR. The size and space inside seem very similar. But when we look at the price, it is 40-50% more expensive. No doubt, MS has added a lot of features but when I am paying such a premium, I expect a bigger car with better space inside.
True, but not every one looks for VFM all the time I guess, else the iPhones wont sell
Plus VFM definition varies from person to person. I feel the reason its selling is what CarguyNish states below quote(highlighted). Especially the front. But again we are already calling it updated Wagon-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
The reason why Ignis is selling well is because of "None of a Kind" Looks, I call it a Quirky looking WagonR
Quote:
If I have to pick between the Baleno & Ignis, it would be the former despite the later being perceived of having better Build, Fit & Finish, Quality etc.
Are you certain about the better build? I see some of the posts earlier saying its comparable to Swift et all?

Quote:
Ignis is having lower claimed FE compared to Baleno. I have a Petrol Baleno & it returns 15 kmpl (100% AC) in city traffic at speed of less then 20 kmph. On Highways, it is returning a very good 21.5 kmpl (Driven at Average speed of 110 kmph). I guess the Ignis will be slightly lower.
OT : That's almost what I get in my 1.0L Estilo man. ~16 in city(Bangalore) and 20ish on the highway(avg speed 80. Max 100).

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th February 2017 at 11:57.
Old 14th February 2017, 14:01   #1233

Booked the White Petrol Zeta variant with Pasco Faridabad this sunday. I think this whole waiting period is intended to create a hype & sell car without offering any discount what so ever. Visited stockyards of couple of dealers & could find all variants in most of the colors.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-picture1.jpg  

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th February 2017 at 07:13. Reason: Corrected variant name.
vishal rathee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 14:12   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Swift might be affected?
IMHO, the ignis would most likely be bought by a millenial, an urban resident(read IT sector employees). This is definitely not the car that would be bought in tier-3 cities/towns/villages etc.

However, the high numbers of swift are primarily due to the non-urban/sub-urban sales. The urban buyers have already moved on to Baleno/Brezza. However, it would take at least another 6 months for the initial surge to subside, due to the waiting period of Ignis.

The Swift still has takers, including me.
Old 14th February 2017, 16:01   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
IMHO, the ignis would most likely be bought by a millenial, an urban resident(read IT sector employees). This is definitely not the car that would be bought in tier-3 cities/towns/villages etc.

However, the high numbers of swift are primarily due to the non-urban/sub-urban sales. The urban buyers have already moved on to Baleno/Brezza. However, it would take at least another 6 months for the initial surge to subside, due to the waiting period of Ignis.

The Swift still has takers, including me.
Kind of agree with you here. But I am non-IT sector employee. Millennial and Urban resident? - Guilty on both accounts however, I am also considering it. It is just that price OTR for this does seem little less VFM to me.

But again, if you are in market for a diesel automatic, with a budget <10 Lac OTR, one barely has any options. Hope Tata Tigor does launches with a diesel AMT (seems very unlikely though).
roushan84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 19:44   #1236
Team-BHP Support

There's a NEXA right opposite my workplace, and the Ignis' front actually grew on me. The rear, quirky as it may be, is actually murdered by the puny-looking tires. It would look quite OK with beefier rubber. Quirky but OK.

I'd rather not say anything anymore about its bang-for-the-buck quotient, a product is worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it.
Old 15th February 2017, 08:16   #1237
BHPian

This is after a run of 450 kms (all city driving but mostly during non peak hours). I think MID is close to actual as DTE still showing a range of approx 145 kms that gives me a range of 600 kms in a full tank (32 ltrs only).
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis-1487126768013.jpg  

rahul412 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 10:58   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
This is after a run of 450 kms (all city driving but mostly during non peak hours). I think MID is close to actual as DTE still showing a range of approx 145 kms that gives me a range of 600 kms in a full tank (32 ltrs only).
this level of FE!

It puts many diesel model to shame. I hope it maintains similar level of FE. By the way do you drive with AC on? Considering current day weather at NCR, I am assuming you are.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:08   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There's a NEXA right opposite my workplace, and the Ignis' front actually grew on me. The rear, quirky as it may be, is actually murdered by the puny-looking tires. It would look quite OK with beefier rubber. Quirky but OK.

I'd rather not say anything anymore about its bang-for-the-buck quotient, a product is worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it.
but beefier tyres will kill fuel efficiency.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:14   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushan84 View Post
this level of FE!

It puts many diesel model to shame. I hope it maintains similar level of FE. By the way do you drive with AC on? Considering current day weather at NCR, I am assuming you are.
And this includes getting stuck in a heavy jam for about 1 hour. I leave early so in the morning AC is not at all required, I run AC during the day ( intermittently not continuously) and I drive it sedately too ( 60-70 kmph) its hard to take it above 2500 RPM in 5th gear in the city, It touches 80kph @ just 2000 rpm in 5th gear.

Last edited by rahul412 : 15th February 2017 at 11:15.
Old 15th February 2017, 12:22   #1241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
but beefier tyres will kill fuel efficiency.
Can't have everything, can we?

It may not even be an issue given the kind of FE numbers some owners are quoting. A little trade-off for aesthetics will still leave them with great FE.
Old 15th February 2017, 13:04   #1242
Senior - BHPian

actually inflating to 65 psi on rigid axle even on beefier tyre will compensate for fuel efficiency somewhat. But this stunt can't be tried on independent suspensions like ignis.
Old 15th February 2017, 20:56   #1243
BHPian

Finally the wait is over and we booked Ignis Zeta Manual Petrol. I did about four test drives of the car in the past month on my office route which is a daily 16 km commute to fully understand the characteristics of the machine.

I felt fully comfortable driving a manual due to the super slick gearbox and the light clutch and made up mind to go for the manual even though my last test drive today was for an AT.

Expecting the car in next 3-4 days once the payment is cleared as the booked vehicle is in stock.

This will be the second consecutive tall boy Maruti and being a petrol I intend to keep it for 10 years.

Though I would have preferred a Delta I still felt that the 60000 extra is worth the cash considering many things like push button start , rear wiper, defogger and electrically operated rear door mirrors can't be installed as after market accessories and last but not the least the stunning OEM alloys design.
hondacity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 21:59   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
That's an insane figure. What might have Maruti sacrificed to achieve that? If these are real figures then it's going to improve further. For an engine of this power, its really impressive. Does the engine pull well at low rpms or you have to downshift to first in situations like rolling over a speed breaker?

Last edited by anycatd : 15th February 2017 at 22:07.
anycatd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 22:59   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
Finally the wait is over...not the least the stunning OEM alloys design.
Congratulation on your purchase. Do share pictures and updates once you take delivery.

You have rightly said that Rs 60,000 is worth considering some good features like rear wipers, reverse parking sensors and alloys.

I am just wondering though that this talk of 8-12 weeks of waiting for models is because of bookings or is a manufactured demand by Maruti.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 15th February 2017 at 23:04. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts - it inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed