Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2006, 20:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow, almost 5 more litres than specified. Fuel tank meh bhi error?

What you gotta say now.....AUTOCAR!!!

Where'd the 4 extra litres come from? Or, is Ford lying about the tank capacity?

Shan2nu
Old 26th August 2006, 21:06   #17
BANNED

Shan.. this whole thing REAKS like a pair of soiled diapers...
This is a HORMAZD SORABJEE SPECIAL... trying to create and 99% of the time succeeding in creating a hype which on the surface of it looks BRILLIANT....but in reality is all a bunch of BULLHICKEY!
Overinflate the tyres...use REALLY thin oil.. etc etc... its like a used car salesman trying to part with a 'BRILLIANT' lemon!
Old 26th August 2006, 22:15   #18
BHPian

hey guys...were there any other cars also in the MArathon or the ....Fiesta was running alone ...just for creating Fake records.....
i think under these standard conditions there r many cars in the indian Roads who will beat Fiesta easily....might be city 2
Old 26th August 2006, 23:09   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't this as (un)believable - depending on your point-of-view, as the Mileage Run contests bike manufacturers have across India - where regular production bikes are purported to give 150 kms/liter driven by their owners around city traffic?
Old 27th August 2006, 00:28   #20
BHPian

this is like the same **** we heard before frm different car&bike companies in india like maruti etc..

Last edited by yogi1771 : 27th August 2006 at 00:29.
Old 28th August 2006, 08:16   #21
BHPian

Now the question is who is responsible for these kinda of stupid things being done. Is it the car manufacturer or the Limca to have such kinda event or the people who advertised that the cars were able to give this kinda of figures without having proper data.
Old 29th August 2006, 16:20   #22

Ummm, good points earlier in this thread. The extra kms travelled really are food for thought. I am no expert but thought hard about this. Fuel lines and systems like the injectors etc between tank to engine must hold a share of liquid. Could that unaccounted fuel be one reason behind extra kms? Another thing. all cars must surely shut off with some fuel still in the tank below where a pump or fuel pipe can reach. Thats all gonna play havoc and give variables with fuel capacity given in the manual. And who knows whether the deisel car cuts off at the same time as the petrol. Anyone else got some dope on this? Maybe there is some similar fuel economy driving that someone else did before somewhere else that can help us get some more answers.
Old 30th August 2006, 15:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vark2551
Ummm, good points earlier in this thread. The extra kms travelled really are food for thought. I am no expert but thought hard about this. Fuel lines and systems like the injectors etc between tank to engine must hold a share of liquid. Could that unaccounted fuel be one reason behind extra kms?
This is exactly what I was thinking..

Even on-road some 1.6 palio owners got 20kmpl may be under ideal conditions..
And this test track how does it look. If it looks like A olympia stadium, where one should do nothing, no pressing of clutch (only 5 time it is needed), just pressing and depressing of acc ..

I guess it is only for the record sake.
Old 30th August 2006, 17:33   #24
BHPian

Man, my fiesta 1.4TDCi used to give me only 13kmpl. I think these tests are useless unless they really carry them out in cities like Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi. Anyways what good is the mileage (to me) when their service sucks and I don't have the car anymore.
Old 30th August 2006, 18:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai
OH MY GOD!!! HYPE!!! And all figures WRONG!!! Look at Fiesta's Fuel tank capacity. Its 45 Ltrs. And they say "The petrol car travelled continuously for 1,183 kilometres and extracted 22.43 kilometres from every litre of petrol." Out of a 45 Ltr Tank if we get an average of 22.43 the car should have ran only 45x22.43= 1009.35. So how did they covered remaining 173.65 KM!!!???. Also the usable fuel tank capacity would be around 5-10% less!!!! So the difference is.... (1,183 KM - (40x22.43=897.2 KM)===285.8 KM. Did the team dragged the car with engine off for 285.8 KMs??
only ford can do that .... ... thats cheaper than the kinetic honda, i'd say.
Old 30th August 2006, 21:46   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe the car has a 50lt tank of which 45lts is the useable capacity and the rest 5 lts spare.
But either way, the car gives and incredible average and there is no doubt about that.
BTW, i saw one of the Test cars in Andheri today. a Golden fiesta with TURBOJET and ACI plastered over it. An SXi model mostly.
Old 31st August 2006, 16:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the detailed report is out in the Autocar September issue. I just read it - it is very interesting. The purpose was not to prove that Fiesta is the best in terms of FE but to demonstrate how much of a difference in FE is possible in "ideal" conditions when there are no external factors like stray cows, traffic signals, jaywalkers, potholes and traffic jams. It was more to demonstrate that a modern day car can deliver MUCH MORE mileage than it does on everyday runs if conditions are utopic.

Read the article - its more about why our road infrastructure cannot be improved and better managed to reduce our annual 40 billion US$ on oil import.

They have also extensively dealt with fuel gauges, fuel tank capacities & errors in the odometer and a lot of below questions have been answered by them. And there are pics of the instrument panels and the DTE.

As I said, very interesting and comprehensive....but don't take my word for it, read it!

Last edited by suman : 31st August 2006 at 16:57.
Old 31st August 2006, 17:07   #28
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
The purpose was not to prove that Fiesta is the best in terms of FE but to demonstrate how much of a difference in FE is possible in "ideal" conditions when there are no external factors like stray cows, traffic signals, jaywalkers, potholes and traffic jams. It was more to demonstrate that a modern day car can deliver MUCH MORE mileage than it does on everyday runs if conditions are utopic.
Where does the Limca book come into picture....
Old 31st August 2006, 17:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Where does the Limca book come into picture....
Well, its a scenario where the tests were conducted at VRDE (Vehicle Research & Development Establishment) at Ahmednagar, event organized by Sportscraft, scrutineers were officials from FMSCI (Federation of Motor Sports Association of India)....and the Limca Book of Records senior editor was on the spot to verify the possible record that could be created in the process. Garmin GPS was used to measure distances, not car odos.

The mission was (to quote) - "set a record for the distance travelled on a single tank of fuel".

Why did they choose the Fiesta? Dunno, maybe because it was a "new" car.

(Guys, I'm not answering any more questions on this as I'm not here to justify the experiment or speak on behalf of either Autocar or Ford.....all I'm saying is that its a very interesting & comprehensive article, please read it!)

Last edited by suman : 31st August 2006 at 17:19.
Old 1st September 2006, 12:03   #30
BHPian

the point of the matter: if it was to demostrate the difference between real world mileage figures and ideal conditions' mileage figure; then i believe the point has been made.
else if it was just a gimmick to prove that the fiesta has the best mileage around, then people just read through it. we don't need to raise a decibel over what these guys print, just ignore them!!
if all manufacturers start claiming their vehicle's mileage under ideal conditions rather than what we can expect to encounter on our daily usage, do we sue them for misleading us on the whole, i don't think so.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks