Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2015, 09:30   #256
BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
... Btw, booked the amazon green one last day with delivery expected by mid September as per dealer....
You booked a green kwid you say? where? how? can you share some more details please..
Old 21st August 2015, 09:58   #257
BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
You booked a green kwid you say? where? how? can you share some more details please..
Went to the Calicut(KL) dealer, paid 10k booking fees, chose the green version & got the receipt. They started taking bookings from august beginning itself i guess.

And some more recent pics via AutoCar India.

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-0_0_0_http172.17.115.18082newskwd2.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-0_0_0_http172.17.115.18082newskwd6.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-0_0_0_http172.17.115.18082newskwd7.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-0_0_0_http172.17.115.18082newskwd8.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2015 at 14:19. Reason: Preferred to only include a sample of images with a link to the full album
SandyX is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 11:53   #258
Senior - BHPian

Its Ironical to see a Car with touchscreen infotainment system and then a cheap OVRM that requires one to roll down the window to adjust

Kwid surely is a good looking car, but Renault seems to be confused with respect to how to cut costs !!
rajshenoy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 12:15   #259
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Its Ironical to see a Car with touchscreen infotainment system and then a cheap OVRM that requires one to roll down the window to adjust

Kwid surely is a good looking car, but Renault seems to be confused with respect to how to cut costs !!
+1, totally agree!
They seem to be confused as hell but then probably that's what will sell since a lot of people go just by looks and such features, time will tell
Cost cutting with ORVM, seat belts are not a great idea. I just hope the top end variant will be sufficiently specced.
Oh forgot to mention this - a lot of people I know are waiting for the Kwid, so Renault has definitely done a great publicity job

Last edited by NPV : 21st August 2015 at 12:17.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 12:23   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
+1, totally agree!
They seem to be confused as hell but then probably that's what will sell since a lot of people go just by looks and such features, time will tell
Cost cutting with ORVM, seat belts are not a great idea. I just hope the top end variant will be sufficiently specced.
Oh forgot to mention this - a lot of people I know are waiting for the Kwid, so Renault has definitely done a great publicity job
It surely is a mini duster. So people(including me) are waiting to catch a glimpse of it. Anti climax will be when people realize its much smaller than they make you perceive it in the ads. Renault has definitely created a visual masterpiece, and then cut costs all over (except for that touch screen infotainment)
Old 21st August 2015, 12:30   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Looking at the target audience, they've got it right actually. Not many even open their LHS ORVM. One because they are not used to the concept of using them and second the fear of getting it knocked off.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 12:40   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
ABS won't naturally happen until govt steps in. Renault clearly stated they're in this for $$$.
Air-Bags reduce the chance of injury/death after an accident. ABS reduces the chance of causing an accident. If I had to pick between these, I would want ABS first and then Air Bag. But Airbags are much cheaper to implement and hence Manufacturers are happy to put a single Air Bag and say the car is safe.

As you correctly said, unless the govt steps, in, we will continue to get keyless entry, push button start, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers, double Din touch screen, etc, etc, but zero safety features .
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 12:52   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Air-Bags reduce the chance of injury/death after an accident. ABS reduces the chance of causing an accident. If I had to pick between these, I would want ABS first and then Air Bag. But Airbags are much cheaper to implement and hence Manufacturers are happy to put a single Air Bag and say the car is safe.
As I was wondering in another thread, more than the cost I suspect this could be for how a car scores in crash tests. A Car with Airbags (but no ABS) will score more than a car with ABS (but no airbags) in a crash test.

Airbags bring in more accident repair/replacement revenue as well.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:09   #264
BHPian

Quote:

It's not about Renault, it's the people with messed up (if there can ever be such a thing) priorities. You know many people buy the Alto (I saw a Beat as well once) without opting for the left rear view mirror, right?
Old 21st August 2015, 14:13   #265
BHPian

The only way a car manufacturer can solve most of customer wants is by adopting custom build. We all know that isn't easy and comes at a price. Kwid will definitely be a game changer in the segment its targeting. Remember Ambassador or fiat did not have ABS or Airbags but still they were considered reliable and safe. I personally would never drive a car without ABS and airbags. Safety is first but comes at a cost and most of the folks that Renault is targeting wouldn't be aware of these features. If you increase the price by another 50000, they would have incorporated those as well. The segment they are targeting even a couple of thousands matter. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce one later when a lot of people request for it,similar to what Tata did with Zest XTA.

Looks like a sincere effort has gone into this product and wishing Renault success.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 15:23   #266
BHPian

Quote:
ABS improves the braking efficiency by a factor that is inversely proportional to your braking skills. It other words, it augments your capability to handle an adverse situation, it does not quite reduce any chances per se. Airbags come into play when you are overmatched by your ordeal, it is a protection device, not a driving aid. I would prefer having an airbag over ABS in a world where only one of these is allowed.

Because I may be stopped at a red light and the dudette coming the opposite way lost control and rams into me.
Old 21st August 2015, 15:50   #267
BHPian

Quote:

As you correctly said, unless the govt steps, in, we will continue to get keyless entry, push button start, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers, double Din touch screen, etc, etc, but zero safety features .
Well said. I am really not sure how extra airbags/abs comes in Option pack variants (Not just Renault, take hyundai, ford). Airbags/ABS cannot be fitted at the dealer level but stuffs like leather seats, alloys, touch screen can be retro fitted.
IMO, fancy features are to be offered in Option packs and not the factory only installations like Airbags/ABS.
Unless Government makes it mandatory, they will always make safety (or extra safety) as "option".

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
It's not about Renault, it's the people with messed up (if there can ever be such a thing) priorities. You know many people buy the Alto (I saw a Beat as well once) without opting for the left rear view mirror, right?
Again, stupidity on what to cut. Though both of them are must, there should be some sense if they want to remove one still keep it safe still(!!?). If you have IRVM, you can manage (only manage) without right OVRM but not the left OVRM. With busy roads and huge number of vehicles very few people drive by the rules and overtake you only on your right side. I guess you can count them with your fingers (or at the maximum include your toes).

I started the car search 3 months back, almost booked a Duster which doesnt come with ABS (RxL 85), team bhp corrected me. Search did reset with ABS+Airbag as top priority. Point is, you need to be informed to take safety as priority (or) you need to know where to look for suggestions (or) Dealer/sales should educate you. All this is not needed if it is made mandatory by Law.

Last edited by sathya_g_m : 21st August 2015 at 16:03.
Old 21st August 2015, 16:00   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yikes, that tube for the windshield washer nozzle is sticking out like a sore thumb! It could have been routed through the hinge on the corner.
+1 to that and maybe the French quirkiness contributed to this approach of cost savings as well.

On a practical note, I haven't seen many of this segment users bothering to open the Bonnet to add fluid for the screen washer( That includes my Home Minister as well). Also it is a part which will be hidden, almost all time!
Old 21st August 2015, 16:02   #269
BHPian

I wonder why people relate this design to micro-suv or crossover. It's just a butch looking hatch, which is not even on stilts. On top of that it falls in entry level. Don't expect miracles from something designed ground up as an entry level city car, which happen to look good.

Renault isn't morally obliged to provide equipments & features in a segment that never cared for such, especially mechanical ones. A welcome change to this is Ford, but they don't play the entry level game yet. Either the A-seg should jack up the prices across all brands & models by 50k to provide basic safety by default or give option pack with ABS & airbag as single package.

There's no reason to bully the new k(w)id for shortcomings even its competitors share.

A couple of unprocessed pics via Cartoq.com.

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-renaultkwid2.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-renaultkwid3.jpg
SandyX is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 16:45   #270
BHPian

Quote:
OMG, what size are those tires? Most motor bikes these days come with wider tires!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks