Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2015, 13:47   #541
BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

I am so excited.My first post in team bhp.Renault took its time and has launched kwid at amazing prices. Its absolutely going to be a tough contender against Alto800 ,Alto k10, Eon and even WagonR. It will be interesting to see the next month's sales figures. Let us see if kwid could give a sigh of relief to Renault after the decline in the monthly sales figure of Duster.

Regards
Aakarsh
Old 25th September 2015, 15:38   #542
BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

I am very happy to see the challenge thrown by Renault after Maruti, Hyundai and Honda throwing us their 'masterpieces' at exorbitant prices in the <10L segment. Many people are shocked at the pricing but I feel this is honest. These companies have squeezed their vendors for component pricing while the end product goes on another trajectory. Inflation is not as much for these guys as they are not retail customers. Iron sheets straight from factory or paint straight from manufacturer has almost stayed same and as commodity prices show these may have actually gone down substantially. Year after year we hear prices go up as 'input costs' have gone up. That is a truck load of crap.

My congratulations to Renault for standing out and delivering Kwid at this price. It has it's shortcomings and nothing is perfect but at least you chose to opt out of the cartel.

Regards
Anand
adtalwar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 15:52   #543
BHPian

Hold your horses everyone! This seems to be an introductory pricing and Renault will try to penetrate the market with these prices. Once that's accomplished, they will increase prices and also start offering an additional trim level and push the price all the way to the 4.5-5L Ex Showroom.

Unless they are going to cut corners, they cannot sustain these prices in the long run (or they will cut down on the quality and build of components) - This is clearly a strategy to get those sales numbers up. What needs to be seen is whether they can sustain
  • This pricing
  • Quality and Build of the vehicle
  • Match sales to the post sales stuff like servicing and maintenance
  • Same volume of sales 6-12 months down the line

Just the tip of the ice berg my friends.. just the tip of the iceberg.

This said, Maruti will be coming out with a full page ad very shortly with a "limited edition" Alto which will have a tinny music system and "sporty" decals and stickering which says "Limited Edition"

vsathyap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 16:19   #544
BHPian

All said and done it will depend on how Renault handles it's customers and future service experience.

Maruti wins because it treats even the entry level customers with respect. I've had better experience at Maruti when shopping for my friend's WagonR and Alto compared to the Competitors.

So if Renault can handle the customers with tact and respect and have control over dealers the way Maruti has then it would be wonderful option for the customers !!

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 16:21   #545
Senior - BHPian

Nobody seems particularly concerned about the ridiculous kerb weight of 660 kilos - I notice very few of the magazine reviews have spoken about build issues or cost cutting. Everyone is taken in by the price and the illusory size - there's a lot of talk about 'such a big car' here when it is apparently similar in size to its primary competitors.

Renault seems to have successfully addressed the 'paisa vasool' mentality. Whether the vehicle is as good as it seems is another issue altogether.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 16:36   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Nobody seems particularly concerned about the ridiculous kerb weight of 660 kilos...
Actually 660 kg is of the top variant. Renault is claiming that the car has 85 ps/ton and lists the power figure at 54 ps. A little bit of old-school Math and you'll realize that the base variant of this car actually weighs 635 kg (54 ps * 1,000 kg / 85 ps)...That is lesser than the (now discontinued) Maruti 800 also!
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 16:46   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Actually 660 kg is of the top variant....That is lesser than the (now discontinued) Maruti 800 also!
If I remember correctly, Powerdrift review (on YouTube) mentions this.
They do say that it weighs less than a Tata Nano.
Old 25th September 2015, 16:48   #548
BHPian

A promising product indeed. But that sub 700kg weight worries me. Its much lighter than the smaller Alto too. Remember the Alto's horrible crash test?

The Renault team assures that the car is safe and further suggest that high strength steel was used. Amidst the increasing mistrust of these auto manufacturers, I have started to take all these claims with a pinch of salt. With companies as big and reputable as VW in countries as big as USA deceiving customers, we in India need to be more cautious and skeptical of such claims by manufacturers.

Anyway, it seems like a good effort from Renaults part, and gives customers an alternative from the ubiquitous Alto.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 16:54   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
If I remember correctly, Powerdrift review (on YouTube) mentions this.
They do say that it weighs less than a Tata Nano.

The Nano Genx has a kerb weight of 695 (XE) - 765 (XTA) kg and the Alto 800's base variant weighs 695 kg - 725 kg. It's astonishing how Renault have managed to reduce weight on the Kwid, which is actually much larger than these cars in size.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 17:05   #550
BHPian

Just got the first taste of Renault CS. Tried booking RXT trim today from Renault North Delhi (Divine Auto - manager Gaurav Behl & SA- Ashok Kohli) . Firstly the dates kept shifting on potential delivery, they have no system where in you are given a number post booking to keep track of when your turn is due (so totally at the discretion of the dealer) and to top everything he refused to take the booking if I do not take the insurance from them. He gave me my cheque back and told me I am welcome to complaint.

This is outrageous behavior. I have bought so many vehicles over the years never a Renault though, and have never been denied a booking on this pretext.

Has anyone else faced similar problem. This is when the dealer is already making 7k on logistics charge and I'm sure something more on the registration.

Felt quite offended!
AGwagon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 17:05   #551
Senior - BHPian

What killer looks it possesses! Better than many which cost 3/4 times. Many may buy it for looks alone. So SUV-ish! Renault must offer one with AMT and that would round up the package. If this car had been launched by Maruti, there would have been stampede at their showrooms.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 17:15   #552
BHPian

Amazing pricing to say the least... after a couple of disappointing prices (Creta, S-Cross), this one comes with a fresh breath.

Kudos to Renault for not giving up and trying everything to succeed (Lodgy, Datsun etc). Other companies in the bottom need to learn from these guys, i.e. Fiat (but maybe they only want to sell engines), Chevy (but maybe they only want to sell outdated cars) and VW (but maybe they only want to launch "all-new cars" by changing 1 feature every month).

I think this car should do well and get some increased sales for Renault. It remains to be seen on the ASS and Renault expanding aggressively to smaller towns.

I am in the market for an AMT small car as the family errand car and had almost finalized the Alto-AMT. Now have discussed at home and delayed the decision till January 2016 hoping Renault will read this post and respond positively!
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 17:18   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Just got the first taste of Renault CS. Tried booking RXT trim today from Renault North Delhi (Divine Auto - manager Gaurav Behl & SA- Ashok Kohli) . Firstly the dates kept shifting on potential delivery, they have no system where in you are given a number post booking to keep track of when your turn is due (so totally at the discretion of the dealer) and to top everything he refused to take the booking if I do not take the insurance from them. He gave me my cheque back and told me I am welcome to complaint.
If you have other cars to use and this is just a discretionary purchase, why don't you wait till the initial rush goes away and they will be at your feet . I don't underatand the booking concept of cars unless its a made to order variant like for ex. A safari 4*4 for which dealers don't maintain stock.

A car is afterall an industrial commodity and the models which are made later are exactly the same. Infact , the models rolled out later will be better as the initial gremlins will be sorted out.

Why do people queue up before the dealer to make a booking before even the test drive vehicles are ready? It only boosts the ego of dealers. Do call up renault customer care. Hope they intervene like ford did to protect customers' right of taking their own insurance.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 25th September 2015 at 17:23.
Ragavsr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 17:19   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
This is outrageous behavior. I have bought so many vehicles over the years never a Renault though, and have never been denied a booking on this pretext.
You really can't do anything especially if the car will (apparently) do well.

I have faced the same situation with Honda when I bought my new City last year. I was not allowed to buy insurance from my dad's insurance brokerage but had to go through them. Same goes for the booking. Response was similar - I was free to not book with them.

Complete opposite was when I bought my Dzire around the same time. I bought insurance from my dad's company and no issues on the delivery date as the car was quite readily available.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 17:46   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
If you have other cars to use and this is just a discretionary purchase, why don't you wait till the initial rush goes away and they will be at your feet .

Why do people queue up before the dealer to make a booking before even the test drive vehicles are ready? It only boosts the ego of dealers. Do call up renault customer care. Hope they intervene like ford did to protect customers' right of taking their own insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
You really can't do anything especially if the car will (apparently) do well. .
Guys, we all are educated & informed customers and members of a great community, the point here is not when i should book or buy the car or just giving up. But the whole point of writing here is to see how we can get these idiots who take the unsuspecting customers for a ride. What i will not do is definitely give in and book the vehicle like this.

Well in btw I logged a complaint on the CS number, the man was very polite. He confirmed me two things -

firstly yes a customer is allowed to take his insurance from outside. The dealer should oblige. So they have taken my complaint. I should get a call back from their complaints department which should also provide me the copy of my complaint.

Secondly i noticed that there is a price list a few posts up which has different pricing by metallic and non metallic colour. Whereas most dealers are mentioning single pricing. The CSA confirmed this has been rectified only today and there is a difference of 3k between the two. So those who have made the booking may soon be communicated the same thing.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks