Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2015, 12:14   #16
BHPian

re: Renault XBA: Now unveiled as the Kwid

The KWID uses the new CMF-A platform, developed in India.
Some expected power, Torque & FE figures heard:
- 796cc engine with power 47PS & 62Nm torque
- FE best in class @ 25km/L

Expect same engine spec for Datsun Redi-Go shown at Auto Expo `14

Lots of cues can be seen from the Datsun GO
- Single wiper
- Door lock
- Open glovebox

Overall priced above the Alto & Eon, isn't it going to cannibalize Go ?
Rather kill Go completely ??

7" Sat Nav is too much for the segment I believe.

Front power window switches in the center console

Reverse gear also similar to Duster 110bhp
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:31   #17
BHPian

what time is the launch ?
Any link to that ?

Waiting for the full specs and prices
Old 20th May 2015, 12:34   #18
BHPian

Wow. It does have an aura of desirability.

The designers have done a great work in masking the tall boyish design with macho looking stance which should have helped the interior space as well. The high clearance (as apparent from pics) should be an added advantage.

Will not be surprised if mass junta looks at this as a mini or micro Duster.

Also Renault's archilles heel - the relatively low quality plastics can easily be overlooked in this segment especially with digital speedo display and that large touch screen unit.

To me, this looks like a breath of fresh air in the segment and has potential to create more excitement than even a Maruti or Hyundai new launch (sales will be a different ballgame altogether). And if priced right I suspect, this may even make the upcoming launches like Tata Kite look too plain jane. But then let's wait for the actual products to get launched.
vivekz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Engine specs - Kwid - is going to be a 800CC engine (with no frills or any new tech).
On the contrary. What birdies chirp, the engine will be pretty much competitive for its class with class leading FE figures and tech to boast of. Technically it can even surpass the current crop of K10 Suzuki's. F8D should not even be compared.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Full marks for design ! It is a mini duster and the muscular looks make it seem a lot bigger and more premium. I for once hope that the lower end car buyers start to look beyond maruti and hyundai and buy this car. The more they buy of the Kwid, the more maruti will need to do in terms of styling there lower end cars.

I am absolutely sure that this is the next blockbuster !! Mark my words..
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Its such a disappointment

Original KWID 'concept';

Attachment 1372532

^ They show us THIS ^

But they Launch this;

Attachment 1372529

Its a pretty "ordinary" design i believe, which may look good now, but will look like just as another car in a few months, there's nothing revolutionary about this design like we had seen in the concept.
Looks are subjective. But you really thought you will get something like that concept in a mass market car. This is an excellent design at this price point I would say. If i were in the market for a car in this price range, I would straight walk in to a Renault showroom with the cheque in my hand.
PS: luckily Renault was wise enough not to call this car Kayou which surely would have disliked by Indian customer.

Last edited by poloman : 20th May 2015 at 13:07.
poloman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:57   #22
BHPian

Renault...., really appreciate the move....

The ground clearance is a big boon to customers in this segment...Both alto and eon lacks the same...

If properly marketed and supported...this will be the next big hit...

Note from Mod: Please type with correct punctuation. Don't use excessive dots (....) instead of full-stops.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th May 2015 at 14:53. Reason: Please see the note in your post.
sunil8089 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:58   #23
BANNED

If Renault can price this at 3-4 lakh range, this one is going to be a blockbuster. This looks so desirable and not like the similar cars in the entry level category. Hope they have a variant with airbags.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 13:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think with such an excellent design, Renault should think big!
I love the front grill, looks so macho. I would imagine it will look cool in a much bigger SUV/Crossover as well.

They should have 2 variants of this car -
One with 800 cc engine, open glovebox etc to compete with Alto and Eon
Another slightly premium one with 1L engine, closed glovebox, tacho, all power windows and few other creature comforts to compete with WagonR and I10.

They will be foolish to waste such a huge opportunity.
adimicra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 13:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me who feels this car has a SUVish stance !!

I really liked the car. Its like those mini SUV (micro SUV?) and then when i see the engine specs, i am forced to believe it is Alto competitor
Old 20th May 2015, 13:16   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Looks are subjective. But you really thought you will get something like that concept in a mass market car. This is an excellent design at this price point I would say. If i were in the market for a car in this price range, I would straight walk in to a Renault showroom with the cheque in my hand.
PS: luckily Renault was wise enough not to call this car Kayou which surely would have disliked by Indian customer.
Poloman,

Did you really think that i was expecting that concept design ?

I believe that using that concept staged for an entry level hatchback was inappropriate.

I still stick to what i say that this looks good now as its new but will be looking very ordinary a few months after we get used to seeing on the road.

Nothing fresh IMO, just a combination of Sandero from the front & Datsun GO around the rear.

Also the price point IMO will be much higher than we are expecting here coz interior looks good, expect a starting price in the low 4 upto 6ish for the top spec (ex showroom).

So the kind of pictures put up right now you will never get in the base models, the model pictured will go in the range of 7L OTR, that price point the options open up again.

Last edited by karan561 : 20th May 2015 at 13:22.
Old 20th May 2015, 13:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

I really don't think its gonna be in 3 to 4 Lakh price range with all those touch screen systems and digital speedo. It might be a competition to Chevy beat and might be in that price range
geeash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 13:19   #28
BHPian

Got these images on Whatsapp. If this is the design that Renault wants to unleash in the EON segment..then WOW!!

This is to Duster what the mini handheld duster is to the normal jopasu! SOrry couldnt resist the pun.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-img20150520wa0002.jpg  

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-img20150520wa0003.jpg  

sai_ace is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 13:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Poloman,
Also the price point IMO will be much higher than we are expecting here coz interior looks good, expect a starting price in the low 4 upto 6ish for the top spec (ex showroom).
Read a tweet by Sid V Patankar, saying that Carlos Ghon has confirmed that the car will be priced between 3-4 Lacs.
Abh1nav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 13:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
Read a tweet by Sid V Patankar, saying that Carlos Ghon has confirmed that the car will be priced between 3-4 Lacs.
It was there during the presentation itself that Mr. Ghosn announced the price bracket of 3-4 L.
FIAT3031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed