Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 17:47   #91
BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Very intresting, the car looks very tempting for the package it offers at the price, YUM, thrown in an AMT and i wouldn't mind being spotted in one ambling around the city (with a tyre upgrade ofcourse ).

Only one question though, how is the build quality, i was intrigued by the Datsun Go's looks but the filmsy build quality was a huge let down. Mods can you tell us how the build quality is, im very skeptical since kerb weight is less than the Alto which i loathe for its build.
Old 21st May 2015, 18:07   #92
BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

A mini Duster like front, Alto 800 like side profile and i10 Grand like rear. Well I'm not complaining. At least they are trying to do something to get a good pie of market share. It has got some niceties like digital speedo, touchscreen satnav, butch styling. I hope it fares better than the Go/ Go+.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2015 at 18:20. Reason: Corrected format
Old 21st May 2015, 18:18   #93

Thats a nice looking car. A 7" touchscreen in a 4L car and digital speedo is surely going to attract the college goers.
arpit90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 18:34   #94
BHPian

Well whatever happened to the "kayou" that I was waiting for.

So Renault comes up with this. Interesting. Looks good, but are "looks" enough??

The design gives the feel of a richer car. Actually the paint job on the Datsun Go was not bad enough either.
However, the interiors this car seem to be definitely better than the Go.

The price range doesn't surprise me, its still high for an 800cc car. For comparision sake a quick search says that the driver airbag equipped Alto 800 and the K10 retails at 3.37L and 3.66L ex-showroom Delhi (as per carwale). Both have fuel efficiency between 22-24kmpl. Though the kwid looks way better, the others still have 4 lug nuts, 2 wipers, internally adjustable orvms, power windows placed on the doorpad etc. Besides looks, how its performance holds up to the 1 litre, 24kpl Alto k10 needs to be seen. I'm no Maruti fanboy but I dont see any reasons for MS to get worried considering what powers the Kwid.

It might at best pose some challenge to Eon which sells the 1ltr over 4lacs. Also considering this must be the top-specced car we are seeing. I would really like to see what the base version comes equipped with, and what fills the void created by the 7' screen.

But its still too early to say anything as Renault would look for some market feedback before the final model goes into production. Also one of the good thing is this is a global platform, always feels better to drive a globally proven car. If this works well, prepare for cross-overs of Alto and Eon to compete in this micro-mini SUV segment the Kwid will create.

Also wondering, Is this a possible Tata Kite killer??
400notout is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 18:36   #95
D4D
BHPian

Looks like Renault is learning well.
I'm kind of disappointed with the positioning of the power window switches. Why do the designers have to be adamant and put it in the centre console? How difficult is it to integrate the same near the drivers armrest?
Overall, looks a very impressive car. Can't wait for the launch of the same.
Old 21st May 2015, 18:42   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Except for the weird power window switches placement and the non rectable rear seatbelts all the other things look good so far, sometimes too good to be true.

But heard in the ACI report that it will weigh 650kgs.

That would be kind to the 800cc 3 pot engine, but really???
Old 21st May 2015, 20:18   #97
BHPian

For an entry level hatch the Kwid looks real good.Now I hope this car will come with an ABS and airbag variant.The key to whether the Kwid succeeds will lie in the dynamics of the 800cc engine and features on offer across variants. I feel it would have been better if Renault had put in a one liter engine and pitted the Kwid up against the Wagon R and i10 Grand.
Old 21st May 2015, 20:18   #98
BHPian

I guess we need to see it in flesh understand its dimensions. Else wait some comparo pics of the Kwid alongside other cars like Swift, i20, Alto etc. The car is 3.68m long which makes it shorter than Liva, i20, Swift, even the Ritz. Now if its too small, the SUV design will look plain weird, like a midget body builder. Guess will have to wait to see it in the showrooms. But other wise the design looks awesome, many entry level cars out there will face the heat. I feel pity for the Poor Nano, every time its refreshed, it has to face tough competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Wasn't the Rhino Rx (or whatever it was called) about the same size as this one?
I guess you are referring to the Premier Rio ? Rhino is a Qualis like MUV made by Sonalika.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 20:49   #99
BHPian

Though the design looks good - I am not sure of attention to safety - three bolt wheels on a car which will probably be able to do 120-140 kph speeds? In addition to that a larger car than the Alto with the same kerb weight - with all the crumple zones that can be built in, not sure how it will fare in a crash.
Also - to add to that - the rear window line is too high, in a small car, it will probably make the passenger feel claustrophobic.

Will the design similarity with the big brother duster - will it affect the brand value of the Duster itself
Old 21st May 2015, 21:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
The price range doesn't surprise me, its still high for an 800cc car. For comparision sake a quick search says that the driver airbag equipped Alto 800 and the K10 retails at 3.37L and 3.66L ex-showroom Delhi (as per carwale). Both have fuel efficiency between 22-24kmpl. Though the kwid looks way better, the others still have 4 lug nuts, 2 wipers, internally adjustable orvms, power windows placed on the doorpad etc. Besides looks, how its performance holds up to the 1 litre, 24kpl Alto k10 needs to be seen. I'm no Maruti fanboy but I dont see any reasons for MS to get worried considering what powers the Kwid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Though the design looks good - I am not sure of attention to safety - three bolt wheels on a car which will probably be able to do 120-140 kph speeds? In addition to that a larger car than the Alto with the same kerb weight - with all the crumple zones that can be built in, not sure how it will fare in a crash.
Also - to add to that - the rear window line is too high, in a small car, it will probably make the passenger feel claustrophobic.
It is called value engineering guys you can expect every new small car in the future that is based on a new platform to offer such things like 3 lug nuts. This does not mean a simple subtraction, engineers would have gone through a number of simulations and testing to ensure performance and safety remains un-hindered by these changes. Also, the interiors are well designed and more importantly, look far more spacious than the rest in the segment so as long as the 800cc motor is tractable enough, I suspect this to be one hell of a blockbuster hit As far as window line goes, it certainly does not seem claustrophobic from the interior pics so I would stop worrying about that

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st May 2015 at 21:56.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 22:29   #101
BHPian

Renault's answer to Nano GenX. The Nano SUV. Just K(w)idding
Old 21st May 2015, 22:37   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Renault has unveiled its upcoming hatchback, called the Kwid, for the global market. This is the first time that the French car maker has unveiled a car outside Europe.
Two concerns:
  1. Agreed, it is entry level hatch. But 800 CC engine for a car that has such macho looks?
  2. Renault, can you not find a better sounding name in place of KWID? Better sounding name will surely help Renault.

Other than that, it seems that the car will garner get very good response from the market.

Let us wait for a detailed review from Team-BHP.
Old 21st May 2015, 23:06   #103
BHPian

To crack the hatchback segment ruled by MSIL's USP of strong service network and HYUNDAI's USP of segment first features and premium interiors, one needs a differentiating factor. And that Renault has got with KWID's SUV-ish look. Desirability of SUV-ish cars is on a high among Indians with success the of Ecosport, Duster and lot of Compact SUVs and Crossover in pipeline by manufacturers.

Renault has got a blockbuster for entry level in their kitty with KWID. They need to market it well along with establishing more service centres.

Renault should definitely look to make it more feature packed with 1L engine, ABS & internally adjustable ORVM. And, they could snatch a pie of sales from a segment above.

I loved the unique placement of turn indicators, though cost cutting with rear seat belts does not gel well with a product that has created a WOW!

Renault, please add 3 point seat belts for rear passengers too.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2015 at 23:11. Reason: formatted text
utsav1303 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 23:32   #104
Senior - BHPian

I like it already !!! Eagerly waiting for it
Old 22nd May 2015, 00:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post

I guess you are referring to the Premier Rio ? Rhino is a Qualis like MUV made by Sonalika.
Yes i meant Rio.

To me it looks smewhat similar in size and segment.

EDIT: From Autocar firs look video, it's got a puny 800 cc 3 cylinder petrol engine and the rear windows are manual. Furthermore, the side view mirrors are non body coloured and the car weighs 670 KG. Goes on sale Diwali 2015.

More here:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-vid...ew-395198.aspx

Last edited by DCEite : 22nd May 2015 at 00:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks