Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 06:34   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Well one thing we Indian's can feel proud of is the fact that the Interior's were designed by an Indian, who also happens to be a good friend of mine.

The car will be launched with a 800 cc petrol engine producing 57 bhp and you can expect some crazy mileage figures from this engine

My friend who has designed the interiors drove this car yesterday and said that gear ratios have been setup well and hence you don't feel the car to be sluggish.

Also, a diesel engine and a bigger petrol engine would be in the offering in the near future.

Last edited by SnS_12 : 22nd May 2015 at 07:03. Reason: Initial driving feedback
SnS_12 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 06:59   #107
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Wow! Its amazing and looks like a hit already! Hope Renault will not skimp on quality and kit when this one is released. I don't mind them increasing the ridiculous target price a bit to do justice to these pics.
Old 22nd May 2015, 07:07   #108
BHPian

Engine is also based on some modular platform and can be played with. If required, they will definitely think about increasing the displacement. Hope they do release a 1.2 ltr version.
Old 22nd May 2015, 07:58   #109
Senior - BHPian

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-renaultkwidinteriorindia0x596.jpg

Well, I believe a lot of people would be guessing what this plastic insert is designed for? Well, it was initially designed for the Rotary automatic gear shifter. How cool would that be to have on a car in this segment
SnS_12 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:00   #110
BHPian

Nicely reviewed & a Good write-up S2!
However in some of your Pics the Cost cutting is evident just like the Kwid

Hope this brings Renault / Nissan to the mainstream area with plenty of ASS centres around !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
Engine is also based on some modular platform and can be played with. If required, they will definitely think about increasing the displacement. Hope they do release a 1.2 ltr version.
Indeed!
800cc would be too kwidish, just like the Tyres it is on.
And 3 wheel nuts, seriously??

Hope there's an upgraded version with a slight increase in the price margin

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd May 2015 at 09:23. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:14   #111
Senior - BHPian

How is Kwid pronounced; as KID or QUID ? (Quid was a US missile)

Some observations,
The black wheel arch cladding lends a character to the car.
Going to be a winner straightaway. Alto 800 and Eon will definitely get hit, and customers can expect to hear about a host of discounts and freebies.
The black side strips are a take from the Grand i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
...No cross badging with Nissan anymore. However, this platform will be used for a different design with Nissan. Nissan will no re-badge Renault Kwid.
Quote:
Nissan's offering (codenamed: I2), built on this very platform, will wear the Datsun badge and will be introduced next year.
But the same platform would be used under Datsun badging and there could probably be a re-badged Dacia.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd May 2015 at 08:24.
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:29   #112
BHPian

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

Some observations,
The black wheel arch cladding lends a character to the car.
Going to be a winner straightaway. Alto 800 and Eon will definitely get hit.
The cladding indeed looks good and the car will definitely sell well. The Eon will feel the heat. But the Alto800 will hardly be affected. If they do, then it is good for customers. Maruti will be forced to bring better quality products at that price point.

In India, taking Maruti head on will be really difficult at these price points. Even Renault will not be thinking about it. Remember the ad that said "India comes home in a Maruti" ? We truly do ! I have a few relatives who were looking for their first/second cars and all of them went for Alto800. I had advised them to take a look at Eon and Nano. But none of them cared. For some people, small car = Maruti. Can't deny that fact ! Cannot blame customers either. They have sales and service centers everywhere in India. Even the smallest of towns will have at least 2 service centers. Compare that with Renault, how many do they have ? So even in my wildest imagination, i will never say that Maruti will be beat by the competition, at least for the next 5 years. This car is definitely good, except for the kerb weight if it is true. Let us hope to see serious competition. I am liking what i am seeing. Cheers !!....

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 22nd May 2015 at 09:30.
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:30   #113
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pix S2 and the details. I actually would think the seat color helps . Hope the end product when launched will have a good built quality ( like the Hyundais).
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:40   #114
BHPian

Looks lovely.
Can we expect a station wagon version of this in the guise of a 7 seater? Then we will see a lot of "Kwid Steppes" (not to be confused with "baby steps")
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:44   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead115 View Post
Only one question though, how is the build quality, i was intrigued by the Datsun Go's looks but the filmsy build quality was a huge let down. Mods can you tell us how the build quality is, im very skeptical since kerb weight is less than the Alto which i loathe for its build.
Since I did experience the car in person, I can tell you that the build quality is typical of what you have come to expect from this segment of cars. With the Eon on one side and the Alto800 on the other, I'd say this car lies somewhere in between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Except for the weird power window switches placement and the non rectable rear seatbelts all the other things look good so far, sometimes too good to be true.

But heard in the ACI report that it will weigh 650kgs.

That would be kind to the 800cc 3 pot engine, but really???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Two concerns:
  1. Agreed, it is entry level hatch. But 800 CC engine for a car that has such macho looks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Well one thing we Indian's can feel proud of is the fact that the Interior's were designed by an Indian, who also happens to be a good friend of mine.

The car will be launched with a 800 cc petrol engine producing 57 bhp and you can expect some crazy mileage figures from this engine

Also, a diesel engine and a bigger petrol engine would be in the offering in the near future.
Thanks for the information SnS_12. Assuming the car does actually produce 57 BHP, the power-to-weight ratio from this 670 kg car will be an impressive 85 BHP/ton, which is higher than the Alto and Eon 800cc and only falling short against the respective 1.0 liter variants.

Quote:
Well, I believe a lot of people would be guessing what this plastic insert is designed for? Well, it was initially designed for the Rotary automatic gear shifter. How cool would that be to have on a car in this segment
Once agian, thanks for that. Would have been really cool to have a rotary gear shifter in this entry level hatchback segment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
However in some of your Pics the Cost cutting is evident just like the Kwid
I loved your comment If you're talking about the picture quality, please excuse me for that, as the camera gave up on me at the event!

Last edited by S2!!! : 22nd May 2015 at 09:45.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

If manufactured with care and small niggles are kept at a minimum, this will be the Alto killer. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:43   #117
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2015 at 17:15.
archat68 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:12   #118
Senior - BHPian

Superb.
The design is excellent!!

Just hope that Renault launches the Kwid in the same trim(i.e the pseudo crossover look).

Priced approx. 3 lacs and this will certainly create a great case for Renault in achieving the optimistic 5% market share.
Alto may not be hit but the lesser makers Eon and Datsun from its own stable(though it sells pretty paltry) will worry.
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:37   #119
Senior - BHPian

Renault have already proved with the Duster that you need not be a proven brand in a segment to be successful if you can provide a desirable product. Kwid is just that in the small car segment and a breath of fresh air among the Altos and the Eons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Since I did experience the car in person, I can tell you that the build quality is typical of what you have come to expect from this segment of cars. With the Eon on one side and the Alto800 on the other, I'd say this car lies somewhere in between them.
How is the space inside the wheel arches? Does it support enough space to accommodate a wider tyre? 175/65R14 or 175/70R13 would compliment the otherwise butch look of this car.

Considering the 3-bolt pattern, there wouldn't be enough choices to upgrade the rims till this model is successful enough to justify making alloys in this design.
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:
=========
Thats great, congratulate your friend from Team-BHP. 800cc 57 BHP sounds OK for city commuting given the light weight of the car, somebody mentioned it translates to 85 BHP/Ton, not bad.

Did he tell you if there would be an AMT during launch? I'm keen on a small, good looking automatic for city runabouts. If there is, id like to sell off my waggy for this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed