Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2015, 11:43   #151
BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
The KWID uses the new CMF-A platform, developed in India.
Some expected power, Torque & FE figures heard:
- 796cc engine with power 47PS & 62Nm torque
- FE best in class @ 25km/L
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post

The car will be launched with a 800 cc petrol engine producing 57 bhp and you can expect some crazy mileage figures from this engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

Thanks for the information SnS_12. Assuming the car does actually produce 57 BHP, the power-to-weight ratio from this 670 kg car will be an impressive 85 BHP/ton, which is higher than the Alto and Eon 800cc and only falling short against the respective 1.0 litre variants.
There seems to be various opinions regarding the power output. Are you sure its 57 bhp and not 47 bhp? The Alto 800 generates 48bhp with a max torque of 69nm. Its fuel efficiency is rated at 22.74kmpl. Power to weight ratio is 69bhp per tonne.

So I guess 47 Bhp would be closer (if its to give 25kmpl) to what the Kwid might produce bringing its power to weight ratio to 70bhp per tonne. Alto k10 has it at 91bhp per tonne

Not to undermine Renault's engineering, but I don't think MS will leave any stone unturned to achieve 25kmpl if it could

These are just my top of the head calculations do point out if its wrong. Also if accurate, is 70bhp per tonne good enough?? I don't know, so I'm asking.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 12:29   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

The looks of the Kwid will definitely be a plus point in the segment. It looks unlike any other car in that group and in a good way. The resemblence to Duster only makes it look more premium.

However, I wonder, how have they made it weigh so less! Even the Alto and Eon, which are smaller than the Kwid, weigh more.

On second thoughts, with its length of 3.68M and the Duster inspired tall boy design, I feel, it will be more of a competition to the WagonR than the Alto. Even the expected price seems to indicate the same. The WagonR starts at 3.64L which is right in the 3-4L bracket where Renault aims to position the Kwid.
Old 24th May 2015, 17:24   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
There seems to be various opinions regarding the power output. Are you sure its 57 bhp and not 47 bhp? The Alto 800 generates 48bhp with a max torque of 69nm. Its fuel efficiency is rated at 22.74kmpl. Power to weight ratio is 69bhp per tonne.

So I guess 47 Bhp would be closer (if its to give 25kmpl) to what the Kwid might produce bringing its power to weight ratio to 70bhp per tonne. Alto k10 has it at 91bhp per tonne

Not to undermine Renault's engineering, but I don't think MS will leave any stone unturned to achieve 25kmpl if it could

These are just my top of the head calculations do point out if its wrong. Also if accurate, is 70bhp per tonne good enough?? I don't know, so I'm asking.
57 BHP is the power figure confirmed. Now, people who are interested in the automatic version could get lucky by Diwali as Renault is working on optimizing the performance of the automatic version and when launched will come with a rotary shifter. So lets keep our fingers crossed on that

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2015 at 08:39. Reason: Removing personal details
SnS_12 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 17:39   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Its impossible for the car to weight 650kgs
Alto 800 (std) - 695kg
Nano XT - 700
Celerio - 810kg

So are you saying KWID will weight less than Nano
Now its confirmed that its 670 kgs. Bigger than Alto but Still lighter.
Old 24th May 2015, 18:30   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

On our ride to Yelagiri today, we spotted a few Renault Lodgys and Kwids being driven down the hills (TN 19 registered I think). The last couple of them turned and headed back down the hairpin bends just as a fellow forum member and I reached Yelagiri. IIRC there was one with black bumpers.
Old 25th May 2015, 00:17   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

KWID pictured as an RS model;

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-renaultkwidrsrendering2.jpg

IMO this suits more than the wannabe SUV/Duster look

Image source
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 02:28   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Attachment 1374500

Image source
This looks good but the wannabe Duster look is the one that would make it to production. This one is surely expensive and hence, just a model, sadly.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 11:04   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a pic of the Kwid taken by one of our forum members at Yelagiri yesterday.

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-img20150524wa0025.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 11:37   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

The Renault Kwid will start production from the festive season this year with a record 98% localisation. The only imported components in the Kwid are some critical engine components like the connecting rods, knock sensors and fuel injectors.

Renault India will be only the second company, after Maruti-Suzuki India Limited, to have achieved such a high level of local content in it's offering.

The Kwid will be well and truly a "MADE IN INDIA" product.

Quote:
Renault says this record level of localisation was essential to meet the Kwid’s target price of Rs. 3-4 lakh when it on sale during the Diwali period this year.

“In my opinion outside India, you cannot do a car like this outside India, no matter where you go. Even in Brazil, Russia, or China, you cannot build a car to this cost target. With a car like this you need Indian creativity and frugal engineering with no compromise on cost, which is so specific to the Indian approach” said Carlos Ghosn Renault’s CEO and a long time fan of Indian ingenuity.
SOURCE

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th May 2015 at 11:38.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 13:04   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
+1 to this. You have put this very aptly. This had a better chance to succeed in B and B+ segment. Imagine a fully loaded crossover in 5 to 6 lac segment. Taking swift and grand i10 head on.

I need to upgrade my Alto and Kwid would have been an excellent choice only if it was in one segment higher.
So, you like this car and you would have considered purchasing this very same car if only it had been priced higher with some added gizmos thrown in. Interesting thought in our psyche of valuing something not by what it is inherently but more by what others think we paid for it.

The upper end variant for about 4 lakhs will have touch screen entertainment system with navigation, something which no car (other than Honda Amaze) offers within 10 lakhs. All you need to do is slather leather over the seats, change the wheels and you are golden.

IMHO, we should start assessing products by the value they provide and not by how much the manufacturer is stiffing us for. Case in point, the 28L Fortuner is the same car which was sold at 18L some years back. If the new Endeavor or the new Trailblazer is launched at 18L, that does not make it an inferior product as compared to the Fortuner. It just shows that Toyota have been stiffing the Indian consumers for a number of years because we equate money spent with value of item.

Quote:

Attachment 1374500

Image source
If Renault launches a top end version which looks like this, then my reaction will be this:

Last edited by ampere : 25th May 2015 at 20:05. Reason: Merged Back to back post
Asifgrkhan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 13:31   #161
BHPian

Hi by by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
So, you like this car and you would have considered purchasing this very same car if only it had been priced higher with some added gizmos thrown in. Interesting thought in our psyche of valuing something not by what it is inherently but more by what others think we paid for it.
May be I was not clear, let me try and explain. To me the differentiation is not touchscreen not even powerwindows. I would have considered this as an upgrade if a) it had a better build quality (in the league of i10 atleast) b) offered abs+ 2 airbags and c) minimum 1000cc engine.

So its not about gizmos as such. Currently if I go for it, it wouldnt be qualifying as an upgrade over my Alto. Its in the same segment.
It has to offer more( not in terms of gizmos but in terms of safety and overall feel of the vehicle).

Last edited by rahul412 : 25th May 2015 at 13:36.
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 15:47   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 1374500

Image source
A top end Kwid with all bells and whistles and the 1.2L Turbo engine from Nissan Renault with 100BHP will be an awesome choice to Ecosport and even the mini hatches.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 16:23   #163
BANNED

Love every thing about this car, except those puny wheels with 3 bolts (reminds of nano) & integrated head rest.
At 700 odd Kgs for this tall boy built quality sounds cheap, any first hand experience on build quality will be appreciated.
Renault should have had an option of ABS + Twin air bag on top end compromise on touch navigation would have been OK.
Over all looks like a nice package !
Old 25th May 2015, 17:33   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
If Renault launches a top end version which looks like this, then my reaction will be this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A top end Kwid with all bells and whistles and the 1.2L Turbo engine from Nissan Renault with 100BHP will be an awesome choice to Ecosport and even the mini hatches.
This model render makes our mouth water definitely because we relate it to the Clio RS (partly thanks to the color of the render)

BUT, i IMHO this definitely will never see the green light for India.

Lets wait & watch

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th May 2015 at 14:18. Reason: Image removed from quoted post.
Old 25th May 2015, 20:55   #165
BHPian

I prefer the baby SUV look. That RS version looks like a regular Hyundai hatchback IMO.

Last edited by echo77 : 25th May 2015 at 20:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks