Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:21   #196
BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Guys who dont want to register to register on FT.Com can try this hack
1. go to https://news.google.com/
2. paste this text 'How Renault embraced Indian frugality with the $4700 Kwid'
3. click on the first FT.com link, it should open the article without the need to register.

happy reading...
mazda4life is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 09:59   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Evo India has published the first pictures of the Renault Kwid's all-aluminium heart - the 3-cylinder DOHC 800cc petrol engine.

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-chi6yreuaaihb.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-chi6rwovaaa87s.jpg

When the Kwid goes on sale during the festive season later this year, this 57-BHP powerplant will be mated to a 5-speed manual transmission and also an AMT option, making the Kwid the most powerful car in it's segment.

Evo India's Twitter

Also, Motorbeam reports that Renault India has roped in Ranbir Kapoor as the brand ambassador of the Kwid. Four different TVCs featuring the actor will be shot later this week.

MotorBeam

Last edited by RavenAvi : 16th June 2015 at 10:03.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 10:08   #198
Team-BHP Support

Yikes, that tube for the windshield washer nozzle is sticking out like a sore thumb! It could have been routed through the hinge on the corner.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 12:43   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Evo India has published the first pictures of the Renault Kwid's all-aluminium heart - the 3-cylinder DOHC 800cc petrol engine.
Interesting air intake. Its breathing directly from the engine bay, probably fine while in motion, being fed cool air by the front grille, but in stop and go summer traffic?
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 15:04   #200
BHPian

With the narrowing price between petrol and diesel this can seriously challenge not just the Alto but the Celerio as well. I am fully confident once this product takes off Renault will definitely think about launching better equipped variants. In my opinion they have not gone berserk on feature list at the start to keep the prices in check. Renault has a winner on the hands which is cheap to buy but looks much more expensive than what it costs. We definitely need someone to challenge Maruti in the entry segment cos Maruti has had it far too easy with no one daring to compete with them in the entry segment. The biggest beneficiary of the competition is going to be the average Joe. For me AMT coupled with Soft-Roader like styling in a compact package has massive potential. Hopefully Renault will make sure they take care of the after sales and service cos that is where Maruti has a clear advantage over everyone else

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 16th June 2015 at 15:06.
needforspeed88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 05:38   #201
BHPian

The Kwid is said to be priced between 3-4 lacs. Dont know if the Rs.4 lacs is for the top end AMT variant. If renault prices this AMT sensibly - it's going be a very interesting choice in the Indian market. I hope they get the reliability upto scratch and their ASS also. That way , it can give some tough fight to the existing market leaders aka Maruti !

Last edited by deltheking : 19th June 2015 at 05:43.
deltheking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 14:04   #202
BHPian

The Kwid will be a logical choice for all entry level buyers because it has that rugged looks that convince buyers that they are buying a micro SUV. Renault cars are fairly durable (my friend owns a Scala) and have a very balanced ride and handling setup. Hence I wont be worried much about the skinny tyres. The City has skinny tyres for its size, but yet handles safely. Hence I strongly believe that the Kwid's skinny tyres can do justice to the light 670 kilos car. Now, the only deciding factor could be the new 800cc engine. The post by Evo India suggests that it has 57 bhp of power. That translates to 85.07 bhp/tonne figure which is very commendable. Last thing, the ultimate selling point will be this.
Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-renaultkwid3720x540.jpg
Renault better stick to the promised price point.

Last edited by karthick_b : 19th June 2015 at 14:10.
karthick_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 16:19   #203
RSR
Senior - BHPian

A 670 kg kerb weight sounds very, very light for what is essentially an Indica V2 sized car. If it's the correct kerb weight, then I'll have doubts about the Kwid's crash safety test performance.

However, I searched around and could not find official information about the car's weight anywhere. There was mention of this 670 kg figure by ACI and everyone seems to be referencing that mention.

So I'll wait for confirmation of the Kwid's weight by either the company or a testing agency before jumping to conclusions.

The engine bay of the Kwid seems big enough to house a larger motor. The new Renault BR08 may be a new, all-aluminium, 4 valves per cylinder DOHC unit developing a class leading 57 PS, but a larger motor would also be welcome, at least as an option. The 68 PS 1.2 litre HR12DE petrol from the Micra Active, Go & Go+ should be a good choice.

Last edited by RSR : 19th June 2015 at 16:29.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 21:50   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Last thing, the ultimate selling point will be this.
Renault better stick to the promised price point.
Well, the price certainly is appealing. But whether the 4 lacs is for the AMT version or just the highest trim manual version - remains to be seen. If they can price the AMT at 4 lacs - that would be big success I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
A 670 kg kerb weight sounds very, very light for what is essentially an Indica V2 sized car. If it's the correct kerb weight, then I'll have doubts about the Kwid's crash safety test performance.

However, I searched around and could not find official information about the car's weight anywhere. There was mention of this 670 kg figure by ACI and everyone seems to be referencing that mention.

So I'll wait for confirmation of the Kwid's weight by either the company or a testing agency before jumping to conclusions.
I am not sure if just the weight is a reliable indicator in crash tests. Almost all entry level hatchbacks weigh pretty much the same. A 50kg or 100kg difference IMO is not at all a big deal. Other things I feel improve the crash worthiness of a car.
deltheking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 21:04   #205

Kwid will take on Celerio head on. The size as well as the basic features look pretty similar to that segment. Experts here have given realistic predictions and it looks like Renault has a winner coming in. However, India car market behaves quite differently, so only time will tell how successful this entry level hatch will be in the time to come. My personal belief on the base design of the car is; Renault will have an edge over others especially with the touch screen nav and an AMT (if priced effectively).

Wait and watch is what we can do at best!

Note from Support: Post edited for grammar & spell-check.
Old 26th June 2015, 11:45   #206
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Spoke to the sales manager at the dealership again. He says they have good number of bookings already for the Kwid, but the demo/test drive car is expected only in the first week of August
Old 27th June 2015, 23:25   #207
BHPian

Renault has started testing the Kwid hatch after its global unveil. Launch is expected around the festive season. As reported by Motorbeam, the company has roped in Ranbir Kapoor as the brand ambassador for the Kwid small car.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-2015renaultkwidtesting.jpg  

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-2015renaultkwidtestmuleundisguised.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 06:22   #208
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I do hope also that Renault has tuned up the suspension of this car in the famed Renault Way!
Their cars ride extremely well in our horrid bumpy conditions.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 21:18   #209
Senior - BHPian

Got the following pictures yesterday from a fellow BHPian Infinteloop (thanks for sharing). The Kwid was spotted somewhere in Coimbatore, ready to get camouflaged.

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1435506363.027203.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1435506440.165542.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1435506457.631544.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1435506473.882205.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th June 2015 at 07:00. Reason: Added watermark to images. Thanks for sharing.
IronH4WK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 21:39   #210
BANNED

Is that DRL's or LED parking lights ?Renault is changing quite a few perceptions about entry level hatchbacks! This one might be able to take the fight to Maruti's turf.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed