Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 15:23   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Superb pricing!!

Did anyone notice that there is a space for RxZ trim? I reckon that's either for the AMT or for a bigger engine at a later point in time.
blue_pulsar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 15:24   #482
BHPian

re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

If it's not this, then God knows what else is VFM. As far as I can see, I do not see anything that can go wrong with this package.
I'm bored seeing Alto with it's funny list of "features" occupying the highest selling car position. It's time we had a new leader. The October sales report thread will be the most awaited thread from now on!!
rav11stars is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 15:24   #483
BHPian

There is no doubt about it that the car is a looker and for the price it is very tempting. However, going by the sheer size and equipment level it promises, I believe KWID is seriously underweight at 660 kg. Alto weighs close to 700 kg whereas the Nano AMT (one of my drives) weighs 735 kg. I doubt the safety and if I may humbly say even the structural integrity of this car.

Rest, it is a tempting offering - too good to be true and may be that is the reason why I am trying to find out what is the catch.

Last edited by jeepster_chd : 24th September 2015 at 15:29. Reason: Typo
Old 24th September 2015, 15:58   #484
BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Renault has nailed it with pricing. The Kwid will the first in segment to be offered in 6 variants (correct me if wrong). Good that Renault chose to give the (o) option leaving the customer to choose wht he/she wants.

RXE: 2.89
RXE (O): 2.95
Difference: 0.06

RXT: 3.44
RXT (O): 3.53
Difference: 0.09

What additional features the (o) variants give over the correponding regular variant?

Seems like a nominal cost for whatever additional is given.

Eon and Nano will be the most affected and IMO the Alto will remain unscathed, for the first thing that comes to an average buyer when it comes to car is Maruti and the entry level ALto
Old 24th September 2015, 16:04   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Bad news for Tata & Hyundai. Maruti, as always, may remain unaffected due to risk averse mentality of its entry level car buyers.
But hey, the real show stopper is here - with that terrific pricing. Renault seems to get everything right with the car. Good luck Renault; and the performance of KWID on the sales chart will be a good case study for the experts.
Old 24th September 2015, 16:10   #486
BHPian

Well Done Renault !

For a Maruti obsessed country a disruption was required and Renault has done exactly that.

This in itself may not be the downfall of the Alto but I won't be surprised if this is the start of that journey. If the Kwid manages enough numbers in the Cities, no reason why it can't grow out into the tier 2 and tier 3 towns / villages, its extra ground clearance being a boon.

The demand in these towns / villages may be spurred by the numbers Renault manages in the Cities.

If this was from the Hyundai / Toyota stable, it would had a bigger impact on Alto as Renault is still not a household name in rural India.
charanreddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 16:14   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
I believe KWID is seriously underweight at 660 kg.I doubt the safety and if I may humbly say even the structural integrity of this car.

Rest, it is a tempting offering - too good to be true and may be that is the reason why I am trying to find out what is the catch.
There are more variables involved in a car's body shell other than its sheer weight. Its design, material used, stress and load distribution play far more important role during impact.
Moreover, Kwid has an option of driver airbag which will improve chances of the driver surviving during crashes, which makes it a safer bet than nano and alto already!
Old 24th September 2015, 16:15   #488
BHPian

So far so good. Hope to see shiploads of these on the road from now, & much mush less of the alto type ugliness. We deserve it.

For the time being, some close-ups of the accessories on offer. There's even a refrigerator!!

theangrysaint.com

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-kwidaccessorieschildseatrearguardrefrigeratoretccr22.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-kwid4seatcovercabinmatoptionscr21.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-kwidaccessorieschromegearbezelcr22.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-kwidaccessorieschromeplasticcladdingchromebezelscr22.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-kwidaccessoriesrefrigeratorcr21.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-kwidaccessoriesremotesecuritysystemautocop1.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-kwidaccessoriesreverseparkassistcr21.jpg

Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!-kwidaccessoriescomboclockcr22.jpg
SandyX is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 16:16   #489
Senior - BHPian

Tata will feel stressed as the launch of Kite is round the corner. The KWID pricing will put a full stop on the margins / price strategy that Tata may wish to assume. They are bound to now play around KWID pricing to make sure that people look at their product. Also, like the recent pulling out of Nano trims, I think they will have to stop the balance trims of Nano too. With their own Kite and KWID, its difficult for Nano to get buyers.

Though many of the team members are confirming that KWID will not disturb Alto; I beg to differ because there is nothing in Alto except the brand power of MSIL. KWID has the capacity to take few buyers from Maruti to Renault. Yes Alto may still operate around 20k per month, but further increase around festive season will not happen.

The product outshines the competition.

Last edited by i74js : 24th September 2015 at 16:20.
i74js is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 16:17   #490
BHPian

On-road prices Delhi RXT (o) 3.96; RXT 3.86 this includes the cost of comprehensive zero dep insurance that showroom is offering at nearly 16-17k. I know for a fact this will come down by close to 5-6k if buying an insurance yourself.

Also the delivery is to start from first navratra, North Delhi Renault has around 50 bookings (i wonder if the SA is being truthful) and they can deliver a car if booked today by end of October.

You can change the colour once the car is launched (test car available) as there are 2 new shades (green bronze and Grey) and the booking is completely refundable. Booking amount is 5k.

Most likely I will be booking a RXT(o) tomorrow.
Old 24th September 2015, 16:21   #491
Senior - BHPian

I think it definitely has enough firepower to displace the Alto, except the areas where the sales network is poor. In Tier 1, Kwid is gonna rule over the Alto.

After the price launch, I am suddenly motivated to gift something nice to my wife :P
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 16:33   #492
BHPian

Since the Kwid was revealed, I showed it to many non-car enthusiasts and asked how much it would cost. Mostly people answered between 12-15L thinking it was a "Big" car. Their surprise was imminent when I pointed out it would be launched between 3-4 lakhs and this was a much smaller car than they assumed. But still they were firm that "It doesnt look that cheap".

Fast forward today, the Kwid has been launched 50k below than the prices I had expected. And I'm in more disbelief than the others at the price. But after the initial shock I realised this is just how it should have been priced.

Renault could have priced this closer to Datsun Go, but its rightly placed next to Alto 800. I was under the impression that Like Hyundai they would price this 800cc alongside Alto K10. I'm just Glad they didnt. This is good intent from Renault.

Now I guess once they reach their expected sales target and the KWID brand is built, they will start charging a premium over the Alto 800. And on this brand they will launch the 1ltr alongside Alto K10 with another introductory price. All in all I feel unless the demand becomes outrageous the prices should not go north of around maximum 30k extra, or else the 1ltr will look too expensive.

Forget Alto numbers Renault knows how many cars they have to sell, also if they have thought of launching this car at such a price point, they would have definitely expected a huge initial demand. Lets see how they manage to deliver it.

I have recommended this car to a close friend and would be tagging along to the Renault showroom this weekend. I would like to know how their accessories are priced. That said its very smart of them to launch the car today, tomorrow being EID and the weekend thereafter, people will have time to check it out immediately.

Best wishes to Renault, and hope as a knee jerk reaction Maruti doesnt launch an 800 cross
400notout is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 16:38   #493
BHPian

Great job from Renault. The kwid reminds me of the funky Chevy Beat that did good numbers during its initial days. I have a feeling its going to really hammer Alto's prospects. The question is whether Renault can fuel the booking surge.

Looking at the awesome prices lately from Ford and now Renault for their offerings, I have a feeling Maruti has some decent competition.

Anyone betting on Maruti share price to correct from here ? Looking at the competition is heating up for that to happen !
Old 24th September 2015, 16:41   #494
Senior - BHPian

WOO HOO - what a shocker! Nobody can believe they did this!
Carlos Ghosn has always been talking 5% market share. It seems real now and how!

Coming to the product itself, easy buy! Nothing can displace Alto - but no prizes for guessing the #2 spot! Though Renault needs to increase their dealerships to get there.

Nevertheless, what a coup this is!!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 16:42   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #win View Post
I think you are expecting little too much
I am, yes

Quote:
let's understand this is a small car targeted for City use.
So?

Quote:
Forget the competition in this segment, higher segments form other manufacturers are missing ABS/ Airbags.
That is a known fact, which is why I was hoping a car that looks this futuristic would offer safety features as a segment-first.

Quote:
So why criticize Renault for not providing it.
Do not read my post as criticism. I simply pointed out why the Kwid, to me, is just another small car. I'm sure no one buys Renault's slogan anyway.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed