Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 13:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Honda could stall Brio production to accommodate Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
This might be Honda's strategy to slowy choke and kill the Brio. I think the Brio and the Jazz failed because they were small cars. All Honda's cars which were a run away hit in India have been sedans and suv's. The Honda buying public did not seem to have a liking for the non sedan/suv type cars from Honda.
I agree. The earlier Jazz didn't sell in great numbers too. Again, if this is the behavior of the typical Indian customers then I presume the Civic hatch (if at all launched here) will meet with the same fate but for few car enthusiasts. Personally, I cant imagine the Civic as a hatch.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
At the current pricing, I don't think the Mobilio can manage 2,500 units in the longer term. Its already slipping, and will continue to do so. Honda became too greedy with the Mobilio's price & strategy.
Agreed that managing 2500 at the current pricing will be a difficult task for Honda. However, what I feel is Amaze will be refreshed soon and Mobilio will follow suit. During the refresh, if Honda is really serious about Mobilio, they will make it more VFM. If they are serious only about their profits, God save Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great point, something all of us missed.

For all you know, Honda might just use 'capacity requirements' as a fake reason to bury the Brio.
No GTO, I dont think we should look at it that way. What I feel is Honda is freeing up Tapukara exclusively for City and Jazz. Amaze will be moved completely to Noida plant and to accommodate that Brio was taken off the line. This is how I was looking at this whole episode. Not sure if it makes enough sense
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
No GTO, I dont think we should look at it that way. What I feel is Honda is freeing up Tapukara exclusively for City and Jazz. Amaze will be moved completely to Noida plant and to accommodate that Brio was taken off the line. This is how I was looking at this whole episode. Not sure if it makes enough sense
Quite possible. If they are consistently hitting a demand for 7000 Amaze and 2500 Mobilio per month then this makes sense. Maybe every alternate month they will take up Brio for production given its low demand.

They should have sufficient Brio, Amaze and Mobilio lying in their stockyard to cater demand for next 1 or 2 months.

Whatever the reason be, after looking at Renault's Kwid, I believe Brio would have anyways disappeared from the market. It makes sense to silently kill Brio now and let Jazz take the limelight. Maybe sometime next year they re-launch next gen Brio
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Quite possible. If they are consistently hitting a demand for 7000 Amaze and 2500 Mobilio per month then this makes sense. Maybe every alternate month they will take up Brio for production given its low demand.

They should have sufficient Brio, Amaze and Mobilio lying in their stockyard to cater demand for next 1 or 2 months.
If my understanding is correct, an installed capacity of 20,000 cars per month does not mean they can churn out the exact number month after month after month. There are various other factors. All factors satisfied and all process inn place, the plants will produce 20k cars. As of now, I guess they will be producing 16-17k cars every month. But with City having around 7k demand every month and all going from the Tapukara plant, I have no clue how they will manage demand for Jazz, even if it is going to be as low as 4k per month.

With that, if Amaze manages to keep its 6-7k average in the coming months, there will be only enough space to make 2k Mobilios. In any case, I believe Brio will have to be sacrificed. However, if the demand for Amaze and Mobilio drops constantly, like we have seen for the last couple of months, then they can accommodate Brio in between.

All said, I have no clue how Honda is going to manage between City and Jazz in Tapukara - They are in serious production constraints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Whatever the reason be, after looking at Renault's Kwid, I believe Brio would have anyways disappeared from the market. It makes sense to silently kill Brio now and let Jazz take the limelight. Maybe sometime next year they re-launch next gen Brio
No ways Damager21, at least with its 3 cylinder 800 cc engine, no chance. Kwid is primarily aimed at Alto 800 and Eon. With a bigger engine, it will start asking questions to Alto K10, i10 and Celerio.

Brio and Grand i10 are 2 segment up the Kwid IMO and there will be very less impact.

Brio comes with Alloys, Steering mounted controls, Dual Airbags, ABD + EBD, Rear Power Windows, Electrically Adjustable and ORVMs with Blinkers, front disc brakes, 175 R14 tires, etc which Kwid lacks. Some of these are essential features IMO. Above all Brio has a much more powerful engine.

The fact that Brio has not done well is there, but I dont think it needed Kwid to kill Brio, Honda has already done that with its optimistic pricing. On a different note, Why do I feel the cars on Brio platform are over-priced while City on comparison is decently priced (It is mostly cheaper than the 4S Verna).

Last edited by Vigkey : 22nd May 2015 at 15:31.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed