Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 01:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Turbocharged Tata Nano in the works?

The Nano definitely needs an engine with higher power to expand its target base. Adding a turbocharged engine can be one way to go about it.
It'd be quite naive to assume that they'll upgrade only the engine and leave the rest of the car as it is. I am sure they'll bring in all the necessary changes to make the vehicle as safe as its competitors will be.

However the big question is when will they do it? The rumours about a bigger engine on the Nano have been here since almost three years now.

Last edited by safari_lover : 23rd May 2015 at 01:06.
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:11   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't they let it go! Why keep investing their time and energy in this one bombed brand?

They should focus on developing a new hatch ground up and position it above the Nano. That will still give them a fair chance at the market which Nano 'brand' will never give. If anything, like others have pointed out - make it an all electric car to compete with the Mahindra's E2O.

With adding a turbo and bumping up the power, they will push up the price as well, is our market really ready for a 5 lakh Nano?
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Why don't they let it go! Why keep investing their time and energy in this one bombed brand?
Because failure teaches you more than heady success will.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 10:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Because failure teaches you more than heady success will.
Yes it does. And I am sure they have learnt their lessons well. They need some success as well now. They can put all this learning to a new product which the public is not averse of. That will give them some better numbers than what Nano will ever give them.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 11:24   #20
BHPian

Tata is failing to realize that the people who are looking to buy a car in the 2 to 3 lakh segment do NOT need a Turbo and the works. People are not going to start buying the Nano because of the power boost.

They need to first and foremost get rid of the egg shape and the puny wheels. I believe even after the launch of the Kite, they can still position the Nano with better looks of a conventional car and turn it into a success.
trek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:26   #21
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Turbocharged Tata Nano in the works?

Turbo-charging the 2-cyl ~600cc engine in the Nano is not the key waiting to unlock the formula for Nano's success. I don't think Tata intends to do it either. They are just building the desirability of Nano and showing their commitment towards the Nano brand so that people will be more confident to buy the normal Nano. This is an exercise to change the perception that Nano means a cheap little car with little power.

However, will this exercise work in favor of Nano is the question here. And I think it might not. Reason: As they say "first impression is the best impression", the impression of "Nano = Cheap" and "Nano <> Aspiration" is made and has stayed for long enough - it will be close to impossible to change that. Also, the car's odd shape + puny tires + lack of luggage space, etc works against it.

Instead of over-spending on this Nano, Tata can work on the next generation Nano which can be radically different car - a revolution instead of an evolution (like the Twist or AMT). The new Nano should be competing against the Altos and Eons and not be a car below them. Give it a bigger size and a better engine and a stronger chassis. Do not make it look and sound like a 3-wheeler. If Renault can design a Kwid, why cant Tata come up with a better Nano?? All this, only if they want to retain the name "Nano". Dont think there is much use trying to wake up a
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I can't imagine how a turbo whine would sound on a two cylinder engine.
I can only imagine parts coming off the car, as it accelerates.
I choked on my coffee when I read this and actually laughed out aloud

I dream of a Nano with equipment / comfort levels to match the Smart Coupe, a hybrid engine, infinite customisation options for paint and upholstery, AT and a panoramic sunroof.
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 15:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

They should focus on developing a new hatch ground up and position it above the Nano. That will still give them a fair chance at the market which Nano 'brand' will never give. If anything, like others have pointed out - make it an all electric car to compete with the Mahindra's E2O.
They are doing that indeed. It's called the Kite. And then there is that project Pelican too.

Why do we assume if Nano is being worked upon then no other car gets developed? Surely, Tata Motors is an organization capable enough to work on multiple projects simultaneously?
Old 23rd May 2015, 17:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
They are doing that indeed. It's called the Kite. And then there is that project Pelican too.

Why do we assume if Nano is being worked upon then no other car gets developed? Surely, Tata Motors is an organization capable enough to work on multiple projects simultaneously?
Please notice I used the word 'focus'. They can work on 1000 different projects at the same time, but what are they going to achieve? Instead of diverting their expertise, energies and strength on failed products, they should try and develop at least a few blockbuster products if they want to remain relevant in the Indian car scene.
Old 23rd May 2015, 20:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Instead of over-spending on this Nano, Tata can work on the next generation Nano which can be radically different car - a revolution instead of an evolution (like the Twist or AMT).
If you look at the original Nano and this one, there has been a quiet revolution. The trouble with Tata is that every little change is announced as a new variant or model name - thereby negating the impact of all the cumulative changes.

They announced a 'Twist' sometime back with Power Steering, and a GenX now with AMT and an openable hatch. Before all these there was a 2012, then a facelift and several other variants.

If all of these changes were combined into one big release, the impact on the market would have been significant. Tata is responsible for shooting themselves in the foot with a variant for each improvement - we've seen that with the Indica family where people soon lost track of the number of models and variants with 3 different diesels, 2 petrols and an infinite number of trim options.

It isn't rocket science or marketing wizardry, but simple common sense - it continues to elude TML though.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 05:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Considering the space in engine bay and existing exhaust system it is difficult to fit a turbo, the best bet would be GT06 of Honeywell. They may have to relook into the engine placement.

Last edited by deehunk : 24th May 2015 at 05:02.
Old 24th May 2015, 11:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please notice I used the word 'focus'. They can work on 1000 different projects at the same time, but what are they going to achieve? Instead of diverting their expertise, energies and strength on failed products, they should try and develop at least a few blockbuster products if they want to remain relevant in the Indian car scene.
But, why would they lose focus or not have it to begin with? Different projects will usually be headed by different people and they are supposed to devote all the focus needed to their product/project. Isn't that how things work in large organizations with multiple products? Surely, the entire company cannot focus on a single product in the hope of achieving a blockbuster?

Last edited by safari_lover : 24th May 2015 at 12:02.
Old 24th May 2015, 14:45   #28
BHPian

To all the naysayers - I'm impressed by the changes TATA has made so far to the Nano.

The target market has changed too. Considering that the Mini is selling at around 30 lakhs, Tata has an international market to tap for a fun small car. After all Hyundai was nowhere when it started in the 80s.

And they now have talent from JLR too.
Old 24th May 2015, 15:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
If you look at the original Nano and this one, there has been a quiet revolution. The trouble with Tata is that every little change is announced as a new variant or model name - thereby negating the impact of all the cumulative changes.

They announced a 'Twist' sometime back with Power Steering, and a GenX now with AMT and an openable hatch. Before all these there was a 2012, then a facelift and several other variants.
Isn't that my exact point - over 7 years they have been adding some small and some big features one by one and if you see the major ones would be
  • Power Steering - should have been present from Day 1
  • AMT
  • Openable hatch - should have been present from Day 1

So, IMO, only AMT is the major addition to the Nano. I agree there were some minor additions once in a while, but not game changers.

Quote:
If all of these changes were combined into one big release, the impact on the market would have been significant.
Again, depends on when these combined changes were introduced. If they had left the original Nano with some mild face-lifts in between (i.e. not adding the above specified features), Nano will not even have sustained this long.

Quote:
Tata is responsible for shooting themselves in the foot with a variant for each improvement - we've seen that with the Indica family where people soon lost track of the number of models and variants with 3 different diesels, 2 petrols and an infinite number of trim options.

It isn't rocket science or marketing wizardry, but simple common sense - it continues to elude TML though.
I guess they need better product planning and better marketing strategies. I totally agree with you, we are not talking about rocket-science but plain common sense. They need to come out of their shell (literally). Sooner the better for them.
Old 24th May 2015, 16:55   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
To all the naysayers - I'm impressed by the changes TATA has made so far to the Nano.

The target market has changed too. Considering that the Mini is selling at around 30 lakhs, Tata has an international market to tap for a fun small car. After all Hyundai was nowhere when it started in the 80s.

And they now have talent from JLR too.
^^ unfortunately, Tata does not enjoy the goodwill & reputation of Mini, and since we are talking the Nano here, it will be quite optimistic to compare it with the Mini Cooper. The technical prowess and engineering capabilities of both are at different levels and cannot be achieved overnight.

Coming back to the development of Nano, could Tata plonk a 3 cylinder version of its new Revotron block displacing 900 cc assisted by a turbo? Such resource mobilisation would be a smart job!

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks