Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2015, 19:18   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Turbocharged Tata Nano in the works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
But, why would they lose focus or not have it to begin with? Different projects will usually be headed by different people and they are supposed to devote all the focus needed to their product/project. Isn't that how things work in large organizations with multiple products? Surely, the entire company cannot focus on a single product in the hope of achieving a blockbuster?
Let's give them a few years to see what they eventually do with it. Going through their shelved projects, who knows if this will ever see light of the day.

We can then pick this discussion up - about where they need to put their expertise and focus.
Old 25th May 2015, 10:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^ unfortunately, Tata does not enjoy the goodwill & reputation of Mini, and since we are talking the Nano here, it will be quite optimistic to compare it with the Mini Cooper. The technical prowess and engineering capabilities of both are at different levels and cannot be achieved overnight.

<snip>

Thanks!
Precisely my point!

We are used to copy-paste solutions and it is never easy to do things on your own. I remember the time when Harley-Davidson was the laughing stock of the motorcycle world and similarly Hyundai's main selling point was the quantity of car for the money.

It takes money, time and effort; not to mention luck and resolve, to create a world class anything. And you never know, with enough passion and determination this could turn out to be THE most popular car in the world. Tata is just preparing for the REAL 'India Shining'. The reason for my optimism in this case is the amount of effort they've put to change things to satisfy their customers, when they could have just as easily abandoned the Nano as a bad idea.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 22:55   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The sighting of a partly-camouflaged Nano test mule, with subtle changes all around, has increased speculation that it might be a turbocharged Nano being tested yet again.

A possible Kwid competitor in the making?

Quote:
Now, what he tells us is that there was a fuel cap like hole on the left rear fender which he could not capture but what he could was the front bonnet which has been torn off for reason not known.

Look at the exhaust pipe (which is at the right side) against the central position of the Nano GenX MT and there is a proof that something mechanically is different.

This could be the 'already confirmed' turbocharged Nano with the radiator in front and that bonnet with a hole may be to provide more air to keep things cooler for this test mule. The turbocharged version may be a two cylinder less version of the Bolt’s Revotron unit which may pump up a power output of around or over 50 bhp.

Another thing which we can notice here is the slightly different front bumper and possibly chunkier tyres.

Motorbash
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 23:50   #34
BHPian

I remember reading in Autocar India that TM were working upon a 3cyl engine for the Nano, it could be that one as well.

I have a Nano CX for 3 years now and I don't see a need for more power inside the city , it drives well if you keep the speed between 60-80, brakes are ok in dry and non-existent once you get them wet. So why add more power if we cant stop ?

My request to TM - before you add more power, work on the platform and relaunch the Nano possibly as a different brand - safety features built in , lesser height to lower the CoG, bigger tyres, keep it RWD and then add the power. I will gladly put my money down for one. In my view its the closest I can get to a Porsche

Last edited by indivic : 30th September 2015 at 23:52.
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 00:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The sighting of a partly-camouflaged Nano test mule, with subtle changes all around, has increased speculation that it might be a turbocharged Nano being tested yet again.

A possible Kwid competitor in the making?

Fuel cap like hole like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Turbocharged Tata Nano in the works?-img_20151001_003400.jpg  

Old 1st October 2015, 00:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

I for one would welcome more power. My 2012 Nano already pulls like she is on steroids - but only when I am the lone occupant. The moment you have two on board she shows a noticeable drop in her agility. And when you are carrying a full load she reminds me of the Premier Padmini diesel I learnt to drive on.

So adding a few more horses would ensure she isn't out of breath when carrying a full load.

Then there are brakes. After the first month spent in getting used to the all drum setup, I have full confidence that the Nano will stop exactly where I want her to. But then that was only with 38 bhp. If the power goes up to as much as 50, she needs discs, at least in the front.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:08   #37
BHPian

Being a Nano Lx 2011 owner I am convinced that Nano is a wonderful platform. And to me it perfectly makes sense if the company is working more on it and introducing features to overcome short comings if any. I am not sure whether it needs a turbocharger. I find the power and torque perfect for a City riding condition. In fact the best driving experience I am having while driving it in city is, at the speed of 30-40 per km at third gear with three people on board. In fact I don't enjoy same experience in my Santro. The mileage is always 22-23 kmpl without AC. But for people who need some extra push in Nano at the expense of mileage I suppose, the idea of introducing a turbo sounds good. About Braking I can say is that I got used to it. So I don't have any complains. Also while driving a Nano I find many many instances of Big SUVs or Sedans or some other vehicles showing impatience to overtake my Nano and I happily give them way as soon as I find some impatient driver. You can say you have to master the art of driving a Nano and you will start loving this car!
zaheer5776 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 11:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Fuel cap like hole like this?
This could be a real fuel cap, so that we dont need to open the front hood to fill petrol. This is one of the complaints hearing from Nano owners, especially ladies.
Old 1st October 2015, 11:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
so that we dont need to open the front hood to fill petrol. This is one of the complaints hearing from Nano owners, especially ladies.
In the two years we had our Nano, I never had to open the hood myself to fill petrol. As soon as I pulled into a gas station and stopped the car near a pump, the attendant would come to the front-side of the car (seeing that the car was a Nano). I would pull the lever to open the bonnet and he would do the rest.

This effort I believe is same as what is needed to open a fuel lid located at the back.
Viju is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 12:10   #40
BHPian

Adding a turbo engine - with more power, would make several things necessary. If the car is able to accelerate much quicker, and travel at a faster speed, the deceleration mechanism also should be good. The car should stop much faster if required, which needs Disc brakes, ABS etc. With increase in speed, safety features such as Airbags would also be important. Before all the structural strength of the car should be good.
I have serious concerns on the rear engine configuration here, because when the engine is in front, during heavy frontal collisions crashes, much of the impact is first absorbed by the heavy parts in the engine bay. But it is not possible in Nano because the crash will be directly on the windshield.
This is more important, if the engine is changed to run quickly on highways.
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 12:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
I have serious concerns on the rear engine configuration here, because when the engine is in front, during heavy frontal collisions crashes, much of the impact is first absorbed by the heavy parts in the engine bay. But it is not possible in Nano because the crash will be directly on the windshield.
As far as structural stability is concerned, well the Nano comes with impact absorbing crumple zones for better safety in frontal crash, and intrusion beams in the doors in side crash protection. So the structural strength and stability is more important than just having engine at the front. My friend's Nano was once involved in a frontal crash with Swift Dzire and trust me the outcome of that accident made me believe that it is as safe as any other car without airbags.
Old 1st October 2015, 13:41   #42
BHPian

This is what bothers me about Tata and the direction they take for the Nano.

As a group of general car enthusiasts, we are more or less in agreement that the natural route to take for the Nano would be the electric / hybrid path. It's a small car, lightly built, very less power but has substantial interior space and is easy to park in all areas of town. Adding a electric capability and pitting this against the Mahindra e20 which is outrageously priced, gives Tata the perfect USP to get in on that game.

Meanwhile, Tata has probably hired a bunch of people to figure out the Nano's strategy and all they can come up is a turbo-charger? What the fish is that all about? Come on, Tata.

GTO and folks, maybe it's time to go meet Ratan Sir.. haha..
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 13:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Adding a turbo engine - with more power, would make several things necessary. If the car is able to accelerate much quicker, and travel at a faster speed, the deceleration mechanism also should be good. The car should stop much faster if required, which needs Disc brakes, ABS etc. With increase in speed, safety features such as Airbags would also be important. Before all the structural strength of the car should be good.
Fully agree. If the Nano is to be used as a city car, then with the added turbo, stopping distance will be a point of concern. Untill recently, turbos were present only on more expensive cars. Now they have become more common in cars of lower price range. My point is, Nano is marketed as a car that bikers would want to upgrade to. For those with no experience with turbos, and how they work, this is quite risky, especially with those tyres and brakes. As you rightly said, serious upgrades are required, pushing up the cost even more. Heating issue is also a concern. I guess turbo failures could be a common problem. Anyway I'm interested to see how they're going to pull this off.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks