Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:29   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rumour: Turbocharged Tata Nano in the works?

Tata Motors is working on a turbocharged version of the Nano! The company is aiming to give the car a more sporty inclination. It believes that passionate car lovers would definitely enjoy having one.

With more and more additions to the Nano's list of features, Tata Motors seems to be leaving no stone unturned in trying to wash off the cheap car image that is associated with the Nano.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Source: Autocar Professional

Last edited by Aditya : 29th May 2015 at 16:26.
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:43   #2
BHPian

re: Rumour: Turbocharged Tata Nano in the works?

Wow, Tata sure is extracting everything they can . The dedication they have towards the Nano is pretty impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if they were to launch an ABS, all round discs , airbags etc equipped nano next year. Hats off to Tata indeed.

Last edited by createrkid : 22nd May 2015 at 16:44.
createrkid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My opinion is that with current dynamics, tall boy design, puny tires and drum brake set up; a turbo charged Nano will be a lethal weapon for the driver himself. On the contrary, it is a perfect candidate for being an electric vehicle. Tata should work out in that direction and prefer to develop the Bolt into a real hot hatch. It is a much worthy contender than the Nano. In my opinion, Tata is throwing a lot of money behind the Nano just to make it click. In the process, they might be ignoring some vehicles in their own line-up which deserve more attention in their initial days, named the Zest & the Bolt.

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the post above, why not chart into the electric territory. Unlike others they have a quirky little car with space in the front and back for batteries and motor. They are wasting the setup they have.
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:56   #5
BHPian

What's next? Tuning chips/re-maps to bump the output of your current Nano to 120HP? Tata should accept the fact that the words "Nano" and "Sporty" don't come together in a sentence; even if the sporty inclination is of 1-2 degrees!

They have other much capable products which they can make sporty and will be much better accepted by passionate car lovers..

P.S. TBH, the thread title sounded cute at first

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:08   #6
BHPian

Are we going to keep hearing these stories or will they turn to reality someday? What about the much hyped 120BHP Bolt?

BTW, A 120 BHP hatch(even smaller than a regular hatch) coupled with RWD should make for an exciting pocket rocket.

To gain numbers, this car should be priced in the ballpark of 5 lakhs.

And yes, they should ditch the puny 2 cylinder 650 petrol for good. They need a better base engine to turbocharge, at least a 3 cylinder 800.
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
What's next? Tuning chips/re-maps to bump the output of your current Nano to 120HP?
People are already experimenting with the ECU, including a couple of occasional visitors here. Perhaps not 120 bhp, but some reasonable numbers are definitely possible.

The Turbo Nano is running around in CBE.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
My opinion is that with current dynamics, tall boy design, puny tires and drum brake set up; a turbo charged Nano will be a lethal weapon for the driver himself. On the contrary, it is a perfect candidate for being an electric vehicle. Tata should work out in that direction and prefer to develop the Bolt into a real hot hatch. It is a much worthy contender than the Nano. In my opinion, Tata is throwing a lot of money behind the Nano just to make it click. In the process, they might be ignoring some vehicles in their own line-up which deserve more attention in their initial days, named the Zest & the Bolt.

Thanks!
You, really think that they are going to slap on a turbo charger on the existing set up, and get away with it
People at tata engineering are not fools, and they will obviously redo the suspension/brakes and all, on a powerful version of nano.
akshay4587 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:58   #9
BHPian

IMHO, adding a turbo is not an attempt to make it a hot hatch but to make it more drivable. We are the same people who complain about it being too underpowered and not for the highway and stuff. I guess bumping the power to a certain level will help bring it into the conventional (read 3~4 cylinder) category and make it a real contender to the Alto, Eon and the likes. Lets accept it, the engine sound coupled with minuscule power it gives add a lot to the unconventional (three wheeler like) image. And that's what Tata might be trying to change.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 22nd May 2015 at 18:19.
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 18:00   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You, really think that they are going to slap on a turbo charger on the existing set up, and get away with it
People at tata engineering are not fools, and they will obviously redo the suspension/brakes and all, on a powerful version of nano.
So, they must also be changing the tall boy design too. Wonder if that should still be called a Nano, if it does not share anything with it.

With the amount of resources Tata would have already plonked in the Nano to make it a success (from a failure), I really cannot appreciate them for their business sense. Do you really think it is viable & feasible from both technical & financial aspects?

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 18:00   #11
BHPian

I think it would be good idea to use a small turbo to bring the Nano's power levels to the Alto 800/EON 800 levels(48-52BHP) from the current 35bhp. This would bring it at par with the others at a lower price point. They can tune the turbo to kick in at a lower RPM to generate higher torque numbers for hill climbs..

Yes the Nano will need to be upgraded including the brakes ,wheel bearings which currently limit the car to 105 KMPH, but a turbocharged engine will generate more heat and will need an efficient engine cooling system..

Last edited by Knowall : 22nd May 2015 at 18:06.
Old 22nd May 2015, 18:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

.... and it joins a long list of illustrious vapourware tata cars before it (sport indica, Electric indica, Indica vista, Prima... .
After hearing tata cry wolf for so many supposedly new products, I'll believe this one when it actually happens (probably never!)
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 18:44   #13
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2015 at 11:56.
naikameya is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd May 2015, 22:18   #14
BHPian

I can't imagine how a turbo whine would sound on a two cylinder engine.
I can only imagine parts coming off the car, as it accelerates.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 00:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I can't imagine how a turbo whine would sound on a two cylinder engine.
I can only imagine parts coming off the car, as it accelerates.
I love the sound the Nano makes when revved hard, and I sometimes like to rev it hard to hear that sound and leave the 5-10x costlier cars behind.

The drum brakes are par for the job unless the car is fully loaded with four people, when the brakes seem a bit sluggish.

IMO a bump of about 5bhp in the output should do wonders to my Nano as is. What TaMo shouldn't do is sacrifice the torque and the high revving nature.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks