Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2015, 09:47   #16
BANNED

Re: 2015 Hyundai Elantra Facelift : A Close Look

Positive changes on a better looking car. But I always have a question running up in my mind whenever I see picture of an Elantra or a review - do we really have people buying this car? In the whole of Chennai (where this beauty is being manufactured) I remember seeing just 3 Elantras probably in these years and one out of those is a red one that I often see in my Office parking lot. Why isn't this car selling really?
Old 25th May 2015, 10:09   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
The ICE in the santa fe and elantra now matches their LHD counterparts in the US. Honestly, this should have been the norm from launch !
No, the Elantra still doesn't. The Elantra sold in the US gets a 7" display with navigation as an optional upgrade and the facelift sold here gets a 4.3" one.

2015 Hyundai Elantra Facelift : A Close Look-1.png

Source: Hyundai US

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th May 2015 at 10:10.
Old 25th May 2015, 10:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
No, the Elantra still doesn't. The Elantra sold in the US gets a 7" display with navigation as an optional upgrade and the facelift sold here gets a 4.3" one.

Attachment 1374526

Source: Hyundai US
The text in the image you shared seems to say 4.3" as well ! But, the image itself that your shared seems to show a larger screen, does the 7" come standard ?

Anyway I based my comparison on these dealer photos from Oakland:

http://www.premierhyundaiofoakland.c...-CA/2519459803

EDIT: Did some quick searching, looks like the 7" comes as an option while the 4.3" is in fact the standard in North America as well.

Last edited by reihem : 25th May 2015 at 10:16.
Old 25th May 2015, 10:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The text in the image you shared seems to say 4.3" as well ! But, the image itself that your shared seems to show a larger screen, does the 7" come standard?
As I mentioned before, it is offered as an optional extra on 2 top-end models:

2015 Hyundai Elantra Facelift : A Close Look-1.png

Elantra Specs
Old 25th May 2015, 10:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
As I mentioned before, it is offered as an optional extra on 2 top-end models:

Attachment 1374528

Elantra Specs
Yes, got your point. I guess I should have said the Indian offering now matches the standard offering in the US ?

The point I was trying to make in my original post was that even the base offering in the US was better than what we were landed with.

ADDED: I wonder if the 7" unit can be imported and plugged in with existing wiring ..

Last edited by reihem : 25th May 2015 at 10:27.
Old 25th May 2015, 10:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The point I was trying to make in my original post was that even the base offering in the US was better than what we were landed with.
True that. Even the new Santa Fe which was launched here sometime back had a puny touchscreen display (link). Which has been updated now to a larger 8" display recently.
Old 25th May 2015, 10:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well Hyundai knows how to reinvent its product, though few changes like removing audio controls from the rear seat may not be liked by many (who do not drive the car), but from the perspective buyers viewpoint, the 2015 model has a lot to charm and show and for sure get few more people to change their buying decision in favour of "tilted H".
I have liked the description and am happy with what has been presented to the Indian buyers. Few features that should not have been missed out:

- Memory function in the driver's seat
- Audio controls from rear seat
- Full MID (it should be possible to switch them on through DIY, am not sure though)
- Sunroof

Cheers
Old 25th May 2015, 12:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarkarthi View Post
Positive changes on a better looking car. But I always have a question running up in my mind whenever I see picture of an Elantra or a review - do we really have people buying this car? In the whole of Chennai (where this beauty is being manufactured) I remember seeing just 3 Elantras probably in these years and one out of those is a red one that I often see in my Office parking lot. Why isn't this car selling really?
Exactly my thoughts Amarkarthi. VW is not as popular a brand in India as Hyundai, but still I spot at least two times more Jettas in Pune as compared to Elantras.

My feeling is a buyer in the D-segment, either has a lot of money so wants to go really premium (in which case Hyundai doesnt convince), or does not have too much money but really wants the best handling and build quality (in which case Hyundai doesnt convince). In both cases I see something like the Jetta/Octavia winning the battle in a majority of the cases.

When I started hunting for a D-segment car and started getting attracted to the Jetta, I would always have this discussion with my dad, who just could not understand why I preferred the Jetta over options bang within our budget like the XUV 500, or the Verna or the Elantra. In my mind, XUV 500 was way too big to be a comfortable city car, and highway manners were not comparable with sedans too, so it fails on both fronts. Verna always seemed like a loaded toy, lots of features, but suspect unconvincing build quality. The Elantra well, I associate Hyundai (and I might be wrong) with good B segment value for money cars, besides I read a lot of reviews which used the term "boat" for the Elantra.

So there you go, my first hand experience on why I was not sold on the Elantra.
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 13:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

A colleague picked up a full option diesel manual in August 2014. The on road cost back then was 18.5lac in my city. Leaving engine specifications aside, equipment levels are about close to what the competition offers. Personally; I don't like the interiors of the new Toyota Corolla and the Chevrolet Cruze is very expensive for those dull and cramped interiors. The only real competition and one that betters the Hyundai are the VW family of cars. They are way more expensive to buy, maintain and quality of service is a hit or miss. From a mechanical stand point, the VW cars are superior and that probably explains the difference in cost. However; get behind the wheel of an Elantra and you might just feel good about saving 3-4lac (probably much more based on variant) over the VW cars. Yes; the Elantra can't touch the VW's for a sprint or in the handling department. It is down on engine capacity and power. Even then, get on the highway, pop 6th gear, set the cruise at 120-130kmph and it is effortless. Stability is the best I have experienced on a Hyundai. The cabin is quiet. You just can't tell there is a diesel under the hood. The cabin oozes quality to the extent that I really wonder if you get a better cabin finish on the VW's. Fit and finish is superb. Quality leather seats too. The Elantra feels tight on build. Yes; it does not have that solid and more reassuring thud when you shut the door but it does get pretty close to that.

On the face lift, I have yet to see the all black interior. From pictures, I don't like it. The brown/beige finish feels way more up market. I too am a fan of all black interiors. Some how, the beige finish goes well on the interiors of the Elantra. The one thing they did right was reposition the central air vents. The entertainment system could have been much better. Maybe a more polished version of the Caska head unit which is straight fit in any case. I don't like the new alloys too. Wish they reduced the steering wheel size just a bit. Would go well with the aluminium pedals.

On the auto fold mirrors found on cheaper cars like the Grand i10 and Elite i20, I mentioned this to a colleague (i20 owner) that the much more pricier Elantra does not have this. He actually prefers that the mirrors are manually triggered by the driver and not by the detection of the key fob.

The Elantra was the first car from Hyundai that really caught your attention from a design perspective. The face lift adds some more. Well done Hyundai.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th May 2015 at 13:55.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 14:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

The most ugliest steering wheel I've ever seen in the market! I wouldn't buy one just because of that steering wheel. Have a current generation Elantra in my extended family and having travelled in one, I can say, it feels extremely claustrophobic on the inside, especially the rear seats. The ride quality doesn't help either. NVH is great though and I think that's about it.
Old 25th May 2015, 16:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The old Elantra may have been quirky, but it was quite a vehicle. Way ahead of its class
Absolutely. If I am not mistaken, it was the Elantra that introduced us to a modern, refined, fast and efficient common rail diesel engine, as a first in its segment.
Old 25th May 2015, 17:18   #27
BHPian

Elantra has done one big favour to Hyundai: it changed typical perception of it being a budget brand. Sure, it may not perceived as a luxury player like Skoda or VW - but compare it with how Maruti has fared.

I remember when I bought my i20, an Elantra was displayed. It had tan leather seats with perforations for AC air. It left such an impression in my mind - that if I were ever to buy a D segment car, it will be compared with that impression that I still carry.

The car is a total beaut, even better than Sonata in some ways. Truly a successor to Civic in sex appeal as someone already mentioned.

PS: Ever noticed the v-shaped snout of the car? I think it goes a big way in preventing corner paint scratches in our conditions.
Old 26th May 2015, 13:30   #28

Thanks for sharing the update S2!!!

I personally feel that the elantra is a bold looking car since its fluidic update in 2012. The modifications made in this update however feel like they are mere cost cuttings, for example: removing audio controls from the rear armrest, eliminating beige altogether.

Hyundai needs to get back its image as a VFM brand rather than being clnsidered a brand that offers soft suspension and overtly styled cars.
Old 26th May 2015, 18:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
The most ugliest steering wheel I've ever seen in the market! I wouldn't buy one just because of that steering wheel. Have a current generation Elantra in my extended family and having travelled in one, I can say, it feels extremely claustrophobic on the inside, especially the rear seats. The ride quality doesn't help either. NVH is great though and I think that's about it.
I am surprised you are saying Elantra rear seat is claustrophobic. It has the longest wheel base in the segment and offers higher passenger volume inside the car when compared to VW twins or Cruze. I dont understand your premise when you top it with Biege interiors of the one you would have sat in. The low sloping roof could be an issue but that sloping happens behind the rear passenger because of its coupe-ish look.
Old 26th May 2015, 18:13   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
I am surprised you are saying Elantra rear seat is claustrophobic. It has the longest wheel base in the segment and offers higher passenger volume inside the car when compared to VW twins or Cruze. I dont understand your premise when you top it with Biege interiors of the one you would have sat in. The low sloping roof could be an issue but that sloping happens behind the rear passenger because of its coupe-ish look.
Low sloping roof plus the very high shoulder line. Take a look at the height of the door and the narrow rear window. It's barely a few inches. Plus there is no quarter glass. If you sit in the back the view out is like you are cooped in and shorter passengers will need to peer out.

Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks