Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 15:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

2015 Hyundai Elantra Facelift : A Close Look

The Hyundai Elantra has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 14.13 - 17.94 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:

• Fluidic architecture looks attractive even in 2015
• Spacious interiors. Top class quality too
• Comfortable suspension. Especially nice within the city
• Refined diesel & petrol engines mated to smooth 6-speed manual / automatic transmissions
• Safety equipment includes 6 airbags, ESP, VSM, ABS + EBD and Hill-Start Assist (automatic only)
• Loaded with features & gizmos (ventilated front seats, reversing camera, dual-zone climate control, projector headlamps etc.)

What you won't:

• 1.6L diesel engine can't match the outright punch of its 2.0L competitors
• Uninspiring, conventional Automatic transmission. No dual-clutch technology here
• Black interiors might not be to everyone's taste (I like black though)
• Ordinary expressway dynamics. Steering lacks feel at high speed
• Full MID, folding rear seat and sunroof are conspicuous by their absence
• Lacks the brand appeal of its European competitors

Last edited by S2!!! : 23rd May 2015 at 15:35.
S2!!! is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 15:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Hyundai Elantra Facelift : A Close Look

Since the Hyundai Elantra has already been reviewed by Team-BHP, this report will only focus on changes made to the 2015 car. For easy reference, here are direct links to the complete Elantra road-test:

Exterior design & build quality

Interior design, space, practicality & features

Engine, ride & handling

Last edited by S2!!! : 23rd May 2015 at 15:41.
S2!!! is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 15:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

There was a time (2004-2007) when the Elantra was a quirky-looking D-segment sedan; a mere "me too" offering in the market from Hyundai. That car was sandwiched between the solidly built Skoda Octavia on one side and the value for money offering from Chevrolet - the Optra, on the other, with the Toyota Corolla ruling the segment and the Honda Civic (2006) joining the party. While the Elantra did find takers, it was a rather forgettable sedan.

Hyundai wasn't going to accept defeat easily. Its designers came up with a Fluidic Sculpture philosophy which gave the brand a new lease of life, a new definition, a new identity. The first car to be introduced wearing this new design language was the Fluidic Verna in 2011 and what an entry it had! No sooner was it launched that it blew away the competition. The Honda City was most affected by it. Its sales figures took a hit and the car suddenly felt overpriced in comparison. Having tasted success with the Verna, it was time to up its game. Enter the "Neo Fluidic" Elantra in 2012, which carried on a similar show in the entry level D-segment, becoming the best-selling car in its category. With 2 engine options and 2 transmission options with each, it offered the widest variety in the segment...eventually dethroning the Altis.

Sure, the big T wasn't just going to let go of its top spot and in came the 2014 Altis to reclaim its position. After 3 years of its launch, the Elantra begged for some novelty and remind prospective buyers of its presence. With absolutely no noise, Hyundai brought in the 2015 Elantra facelift.

2015 Hyundai Elantra Facelift : A Close Look-elantra.png

If we play the 'Spot the Differences' game between the facelift and the older car, there are exactly 3 sets of changes to the face:

Silver makes this car appear long, isn't it?

Like the front, the rear too gets subtle changes. However, the car did gain some attention...from existing Elantra owners, who immediately noticed that there was something different:

While its looks remain inoffensive, I'm one of those who thinks it is just about borderline vulgar with all those body cuts and creases. That said, it's clear that most people love the design. She does have a 'wow' factor in person:

With a coupe-like stance, the Elantra is the CLA-Class of the D-segment:

New headlamps. No, these aren't DRLs; they are pilot lamps:

Projector halogen lamps do a decent job at lighting the road at night:

Familiar nose carried forward from the 2012 car. For those driving it for the first time, this snout could take some getting used to (for judgement):

'L-shaped' foglamps are new. Fun fact: with the headlamps in auto position and the foglamps on, these too remain on for a short duration to perform the 'follow-me-home' function:

A touch of chrome would have stood out on a darker colour:

Notice the bumper lining around the foglamp housing - that's new!

Windscreen washers are nicely integrated in the wiper console:

The mirrors fold / unfold when I press the lock / unlock button in my Grand i10. When you walk closer to your Elite i20 (with the key in your pocket), the mirrors automatically unfold. Shockingly, no such drama here:

Yes, even the passenger-side door has a request sensor, but the button doesn't feel built-to-last like the one on my car:

New 10-spoke 16" wheels. They look very ordinary in person:

Don't miss the new chrome window base line. The side and rear appear a bit too bulky:

These appear to be reworked 'LED-effect' tail-lamps with different elements and a smoked touch:

Big muffler tip:

Even the bumper is all new, with a black insert to break its bulk. The reflectors are positioned differently this time around:

Some parting shots:

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2015 at 23:20. Reason: Indeed, it had a tv ad
S2!!! is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 15:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Interiors

Yes, the more significant changes are to the interiors. To start off, the new all-black theme looks more sophisticated compared to the beige one:

Silver accents add to the interior appeal. Notice the 3 different shades of black:

The steering wheel wears a dark brown leather wrap, which doesn't go too well with the theme. The plethora of buttons on the wheel make it a busy unit; an easy turn-off for a minimalist. Still, it's nice to hold and while it won't satisfy an enthusiast, it is super-light and fairly direct, which makes manoeuvring this sedan a breeze. Can be adjusted for reach & rake:

Meters are tucked in twin pods. They are electroluminescent i.e. they remain illuminated at all times when the car is on:

Among other things, the MID displays 2 trip meters, average speed and travel time. If the Verna could get a fuel efficiency indicator and distance to empty counter, why couldn't the Elantra?

Parking sensor display on the MID:

It also displays the backlight brightness, door open reminder and allows you to control functions like headlamp delay, lane change indicator and auto door locking / unlocking:

The Elantra has auto headlights and like the 4S Verna, it takes a lethargic 3 seconds to turn on / off the light when entering a tunnel. Still no rain-sensing wipers though. While the quality of stalks feels good, it doesn't feel as premium as the Elite i20's...and that speaks a lot about the Elite i20!!!

Front seats offer good support (all round). They're a nice place to be in, for those long highway drives:

While the armrest does have fore & aft adjustment, it is positioned on the lower side. I didn't find myself using it at all:

With 10-way electrical adjustment, it doesn't take too long to get comfortable. I especially liked the lumbar support adjustment:

Scuff plate with an 'Elantra' badge:

Dull silver accents break the all-black monotony on the doorpads. The door pockets are large enough to carry a 1L bottle and some smaller items too. Front doors have a speaker + tweeter:

Switch gear is shared with its smaller siblings. Only the driver's window gets a one-touch up & down feature:

Chrome door handles and lock are too loud for my taste. Though, the mass market loves chrome!

The door is well padded. This feels like a premium car, and not an overpriced Hyundai:

You can access 'audio on' (yellow light) and 'ignition' modes (blue light) by pressing the start / stop button without the clutch pedal:

The ESP button, instrument cluster brightness setting and headlamp adjustment buttons. A dummy button isn't something I want to see on a fully loaded sedan:

Sporty aluminium pedals. Ample room to rest your left foot too:

No key sharing here (like the 4S Verna, Elite i20 & Grand i10). The key still remains exclusive to the Elantra:

Till date, I thought 'Continental' was only a tyre brand. They even make thin smart-keys (link):

The waterfall console gets subtle changes:

While the digital clock's placement remains unchanged, the backlight & fonts are better than the outdated ones of the earlier Elantra:

Then, there is a new tiny 4.3" touchscreen infotainment system surrounded in a parallelogram piano black housing. The system also serves as a reverse camera display and unlike the Elite i20, this one doesn't have adaptive guidelines! The air-con vents are now larger and have moved beside the infotainment system, a position where they should have always been. Now, these can be shut-off completely too:

Owners get 750 MB of inbuilt memory too. The touch sensitivity of this system is like the first-gen touchscreen mobile phones. Sound quality via other media was fairly good and apart from hardcore audiophiles, nobody will complain:

The display for the dual-zone climate control has changed; this one looks a lot more upmarket than the vulgar blue of the older car. There has been a button rejig too:

The front seat ventilation feature is superb. No more sweaty shirt-backs after a drive in the hot and humid summer afternoon of Mumbai. I wonder why more manufacturers aren't adding this feature to their cars:

A 12v socket for the front passenger with a cubby holder beneath. The driver makes do with only the cubby holder on the other side:

A neat, covered storage area with a 12v socket and audio inputs:

Leather-wrapped gear knob feels of a high quality. No Sport mode here. Only P, R, N & D with tiptronic:

Storage areas across the cabin are generous. The tiny cubby hole as well as the armrest console have a felt dressing:

A medium-sized glove box with cooling function:

Sunglass holder + individual map lights:

Auto-dimming rear view mirror:

Mic is located just above the driver's seat:

The vanity light (both sunvisors) is manually operated:

Useful ticket holder on the driver's sunvisor:

Rearward visibility is poor because of the short windscreen and tall boot. The rear headrests only make matters worse:

Seatbelts are height adjustable:

Passenger's seat has manual adjustments only. No lumbar support here:

The backseat is very sofa-like:

Seat is wide enough for 3 and provides good under-thigh support. Compound is on the softer side:

Almost flat floor hump, can accommodate a third pair of feet:

The rear air-con vents:

With the driver's seat adjusted to my driving position (I'm 5'10"), notice the knee room I still have at the rear:

Rear neck-restraints still there (they were deleted in the Verna facelift):

What they have deleted are the rear audio controls from the center armrest ! However, the 12v socket is still present to charge your gadgets:

Rear cabin lamp is located between the front and rear seat which adds to its utility:

Small touches like these add a lot to the appeal of a car. Clever folding coat hook:

The rear glass doesn't go all the way in:

485 liter boot is accommodating. Notice the nifty net to prevent loose items from being thrown around:

Yes, you get a full-size spare (alloy) wheel:
S2!!! is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 15:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

This 1,582 cc diesel makes 126 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 260 Nm of torque @ 1,900-2,750 rpm:

No change to the engines or transmissions offered with the 2015 Elantra. The 1.6L diesel is the same as the Verna. In a car whose top-end variant costs 20 lakhs on the road, you would expect a bigger 2.0L diesel (like the Cruze, Jetta & Octavia). That said, the Elantra's diesel engine is superior to the Corolla's 1.4L motor and the Fluence's 1.5L.

Sound insulation is top notch - both inside & outside. This engine is extremely refined. NVH levels are low, with wind noise filtering into the cabin only at silly speeds. Cruising on the highway, the diesel is scarcely audible. The test car was shod with Goodyear Assurance tyres and they weren't too noisy at speed either. In fact, they offered acceptable levels of grip.

We drove the 1.6L diesel with the 6-speed automatic gearbox. This combination makes the Elantra a relaxed cruiser. The calm Elantra isn't a sedan that you want to drive with high adrenaline. Power delivery isn't brutal and the turbo-kick after ~2,000 rpm is quite linear. 100 km/h comes in at ~2,450 and ~1,850 rpm in 5th and 6th gears respectively (which means you are nudging the turbo zone in 6th gear at 100 km/h). Quick overtaking moves need a downshift at times. Good thing that the diesel is free-revving and doesn't sound too strained closer to the redline.

Drive with a light foot and the gear shifts are seamless. The Elantra is best driven with a sedate driving style where it offers a refined, comfortable experience. Dab the throttle more and the confusion begins. You'll find the gearbox hunting for gears at times (especially during downshifts) and holding onto the same gear at others. When it doesn't downshift, you can see the speedometer needle climbing at a very slow rate, revealing its weak spot - turbo lag. Yes, with a mildly heavy right foot, turbo lag is evident.

With the ECO mode on, this car will upshift to higher gears at the earliest available opportunity, but slam the throttle and the Elantra doesn't hesitate to drop a gear or two. It will hold the revvs to the redline. There are times when you want the gearbox to upshift earlier, yet it won't. Once you understand its characteristics, you stop missing the sport mode; your right leg can make it dance to your tunes. On steep hills is where the automatic Elantra works effortlessly, thanks to the Hill-Hold feature. Leave the brake pedal from a standstill and this car creeps forward without any throttle input at all.

The brakes do the job expected of them. They aren't too powerful though, and I'd have felt more confident with additional bite. Having said that, Hyundai hasn't eliminated rear disc brakes from this facelift, like they did with the Verna.

The suspension absorbs bumps well at low speed. It's a soft ride. Sharp bumps though will come through to the cabin; the suspension can crash over larger potholes. Passengers will tend to experience some vertical movement at highway speeds - a typical Hyundai characteristic. It doesn't feel like a boat, but the Elantra isn't flat either. The Europeans still offer the most planted high speed ride. In terms of handling, the Elantra has balanced road manners. The behaviour is safe & predictable. No, it's not in the ballpark of a car like the Jetta.

With ECO mode on, each time you feather the A-pedal, a green light comes on in the instrument cluster:

The engine area isn't fully protected from underneath:

The bonnet insulation sheet. The Elantra diesel is very refined:

The front & rear suspension give out a loud 'thud' on tall speed-breakers:
S2!!! is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 17:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 18:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Every time I look at the Elantra, the first thing that strikes my mind is "Wow, what a turnaround!" I can't come to terms with the fact that this is a successor of the 2004 Elantra with that 'toothy' grille. Seriously, this is the best interpretation of Fluidic Sculpture that the Verna and Sonata proudly wear too. Though this is just a minor facelift, the beautifully-detailed headlights at the front and the bumper with black inserts do bring in much-needed freshness to the Elantra. Though the full-black cabin looks chic and sporty, the beige and black interiors of the pre-facelift looked plusher to my eyes. If there is one car that is a perfect successor to the Civic aesthetics-wise, it is this.

By the way, a superb review covering all the minor details incorporated in the facelift! Was the 1.8L petrol also available for the drive? How was it? Even the 2012 Elantra review had just a short driving experience of the petrol-engined variant.

Last edited by arvi86 : 23rd May 2015 at 18:23.
arvi86 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 20:17   #8
Max
BHPian

Wow !! they remove beige interiors. This will definitely effect their car sales. Indians love Beige interiors. IMO, Beige interiors looks very royal and expensive. I know a guy, who spent 1 lakh on Swift for beige interiors. Heads up for the wonderful review and pictures, it will definitely help prospective buyers.

Last edited by Max : 23rd May 2015 at 20:21.
Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 21:30   #9
BHPian

Great Review. Thanks for the details. enjoyed going through them.

I think the beige/black theme in the earlier Elantra was quite tasteful. I definitely prefer it to the current theme.

The dashboard layout and information display in this car however is much improved.
Locomotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 11:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

We will see many owners driving around with park lamps on during the day to mimick the DRLs.
One Hyundai that I always liked because of the design is the Elantra. They should have given the double barrel exhaust pipes of the old Verna on this which would have suited it.
The tailpipe on this version looks like the left overs from the Verna Transform.
Old 24th May 2015, 15:13   #11
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2015 at 13:07.
adentist is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2015, 16:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
There was a time (2004-2007) when the Elantra was a quirky-looking D-segment sedan; a mere "me too" offering in the market from Hyundai. That car was sandwiched between the solidly built Skoda Octavia on one side and the value for money offering from Chevrolet - the Optra, on the other, with the Toyota Corolla ruling the segment and the Honda Civic (2006) joining the party. While the Elantra did find takers, it was a rather forgettable sedan.
I wouldn't quite make that last statement - it may not have been a market success, but the original Elantra (in India) was quite the opposite of a forgettable sedan. It was way ahead of its time and was truly a class-leader if you went beyond that quirky grille, and had better performance, handling and dynamics, space, equipment and safety features than any of its "competitor"s (btw the Optra was not competition).

The old Elantra may have been quirky, but it was quite a vehicle. Way ahead of its class.

(EDIT: This message is not intended to start a debate, but is a clarification posted by an ex-owner who thinks the new Elantra has gained in looks but is not as competent as the original was in the segment at that time.)

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th May 2015 at 16:26.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 16:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Many might prefer the previous beige interiors but when it comes to maintaining it, its just a big headache, i would prefer the black interior (One thing i really miss in my jetta) in any car actually just because its easy to maintain.
Old 24th May 2015, 16:33   #14
BHPian

Great review, thank you :-)

The ICE in the santa fe and elantra now matches their LHD counterparts in the US. Honestly, this should have been the norm from launch !
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 19:03   #15
BHPian

Great review. However it’s kind of sandwiched in this segment with Skoda Octavia and Cruz. No match in engine, power and torque specs. These two cars are way ahead in looks as well in my opinion. Also worrying factor is - it’s not confidence inspiring at high speeds as stated in the review. All new black interiors doesn't seem to be a great idea too. Overall, not really impressed.
sunilyk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed