Team-BHP - Jaguar XE coming to India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Jaguar XE coming to India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/164376-jaguar-xe-coming-india.html)

Jaguar XE coming to India-jag_xe.jpg

Tata Motors' Pimpri plant will be in charge of assembling Jaguar XE's imported CKD units, and a launch is indicated for the festive season ahead. There may be some localisation involved as well, but exactly how much is not known yet.

Jaguar XE coming to India-jag_xeside.jpg

The XE will be powered by the 2.0-litre Ingenium diesel engine and it might also be offered with a 2.0-litre petrol engine as well. When launched, the XE will be competing against the Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Audi A4, Volvo S60 and the BMW 3 Series.

Jaguar XE coming to India-jag_xeinterior.jpg

Quote:

The XE will be the new entry-level car to the Jaguar brand and will boost the company’s sales plans.

When we asked Ralf Speth, CEO, Jaguar Land Rover on his plans for export from India, he mentioned, “ We are looking at several markets, however we aren’t considering India for exports at least at the moment.”

The CEO was in Mumbai for the Tata Q4 Financial Result announcement.
SOURCE

Note from Support: Thread closed. Please continue the discussion at our new Jaguar XE thread.

1 unit of XE imported for R & D purpose a few days back!

Jaguar XE coming to India-shot201505281988m1z0uh.jpeg

The XE has the potential to turn the luxury segment on its head. It has long been ruled by various generations of the C-Class, 3-Series & A4. The brand is a major attraction for buyers; what else can explain chauffeur-driven owners picking a C-Class over larger & more comfortable sedans from a segment below?

The leaping cat offers a highly revered & 'different' brand in the 30 - 40 lakh saloon category. The fact that the XE looks stunning is a big plus. Brand & styling are enough to seal deals in the luxury car space.

What'll work against it is limited space at the back (if international reviews are anything to go by), Jaguar's small sales network, pathetic after-sales service and their habit of over-pricing products. Jaguar-Land Rover's cars in India have historically been priced above their real worth (and the competition). The Indian management knows nothing about selling premium cars or servicing them. They're incompetence is depressing.

Trivia: Jaguar's earlier attempt - the X-Type - was based on a Ford Mondeo. It caused so much damage that the model nomenclature itself has been discontinued by Jaguar. No way they were going to call this car an X-Type.

Spoke to Jauguar (representative), they are still very tight lipped about the exact date of launch, price, engine and other technical specifications etc.

Even the prices mentioned in the Team-bhp news article seems to be speculative.

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/jaguar-...an-ckd-form-rd

No doubt though the cat definitely has potential to upset the segment, specially an eye candy for the ones who are either patriotic (Tata roots) or want to try something different.

I had the opportunity to sit in a XE last week and have also started seeing it on the roads in and around London.

The space in the back maybe only fractionally smaller than a 3 series (don't know about the latest C), but the way the C pillar slopes back leaves a perception of a smaller space in the back. Only when you experience it in person, do you realize its not that different.

However, the biggest downside for me is that somehow, it doesn't look special enough. To my eyes, the XF in instantly recognizable and has aged very well considering its over 6 years old now. I cant say the same about the XE - looks ordinary and am not sure it'll age very well.

GTO as usual has hit the nail on the head. Reliability issues apart, the absolute pathetic after sales service is finally affecting JLR sales in India and also it appears world over if the latest results of Tata Motors are viewed. I am seeing many more new 3s, 5s, Cs, Es A6s and 4s on the road hardly any new Jaguars or LRs.

Jaguar has imported a petrol XE for homologation and will apparently begin trial production soon as well. clap:

Few engines that have also been imported are 2L GTDi engines. GTDi are Ford-sourced turbocharged petrol engines which will develop 197 bhp (or even 237 bhp) in XE's 2L avatar. This would also be the XE's most economical variant.

Given the choice of engine, it is more likely to come with 8-speed auto transmission.

Jaguar XE coming to India-xe.png

Jaguar XE coming to India-engine.png

Any indication of where it might be priced? I think the big draw will be 'a killer alternative to the germans', owned by India and I think it looks pretty stunning!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prashanthyr (Post 3718480)
I cant say the same about the XE - looks ordinary and am not sure it'll age very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow (Post 3781659)
I think the big draw will be 'a killer alternative to the germans', owned by India and I think it looks pretty stunning!

Two contrasting opinions, and I must say that I concur with the second. I think most Indians love the badge, and would like the styling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeep108 (Post 3718898)
GTO as usual has hit the nail on the head. Reliability issues apart, the absolute pathetic after sales service is finally affecting JLR sales in India and also it appears world over if the latest results of Tata Motors are viewed. I am seeing many more new 3s, 5s, Cs, Es A6s and 4s on the road hardly any new Jaguars or LRs.

I'm not sure, but from the various threads about the Germans and their atrocious sales, service and reliability, they all seem to be massive risks to purchase. Not sure if Jaguar is especially unreliable, especially since their sales globally have skyrocketed after Tata bought JLR. Even if we assume that their India operations are poor, the vehicles themselves cannot be that bad. As far as I remember the last results were relatively poor due to exchange rate changes or something of that sort even though overall sales had improved. Will look for the thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow (Post 3781659)
Any indication of where it might be priced?

You can expect the Jaguar XE pricing to be close to current BMW 3 Series pricing.

China is the biggest market for JLR and their sales have declined due to the weakness in the Chinese economy. This is clearly reflected in TATA Motors stock price.

In fact JLR recently reduced the prices (~5%) of some models in China due to weak sales and also because there is an Government investigation about price fixing buy luxury car brands in China.

Source 1, Source 2

Hence JLR is betting big on XE to improve the revenue.

BTW will the Jaguar XE be launched in Sept/Oct 2015?

I am almost certain they will price it outrageously and will help the other three cement their place further. The opinion that Jaguar is "beyond" the Germans is just Jaguar's idea. The rest of the world doesn't share that opinion.

I'd so love a Jag just because of its looks. :)

Spotted this car at ARAi pune today morning. Is this 2016 model? Not sure if this is already on a sale internationally or in india.

Jaguar XE coming to India-xe.jpg

Interesting find. This looks like the Jaguar XE. The 2016 XF and XE look quite similar but judging by these two photos, I'd wager that this is the XE (note the license plate area and how the crease in the XF runs parallel to it, while in the XE it forms a rectangle around the plate).

The XE was launched in the UK earlier this year. I am cautiously optimistic that this car will get Jaguar back into the compact executive saloon market that Ford literally blew with the X-Type.

Photos Credit: Road and Track for the XF and Jaguar UK website for XE

This is for sure the XE.
Notice the semicircles in the tail lights.
XF has two semi circles where as the XE has just one semicircle in each.

Also notice that the exhausts pipes in the scoop photograph and the images from Jaguar are different.

The white car in the picture in the above post is an XF. I am not sure what is the confusion about?