Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 17:46   #1
BHPian

Rumour: Hyundai to launch Elite i20 AT Diesel!

Team-BHPians, an interesting news from Gaadiwaadi

Hyundai to launch Elite i20 Diesel AT soon! That too with 6 speed box from Elantra If the news is true, this will be an awesome inclusion in the already feature rich Elite i20.

However, the sad news is that i20 Active may not get this box. What is to be noted is that even the Verna does not get the 6 speed box. This will make the i20 dearer by 70k rupees, which is not too much IMO. Excerpts from the news article.

Quote:
As per the sources, the company is in plans to launch the 6-speed automatic transmission to the Elite i20 Diesel variant where the price is expected to be around INR 70,000 more than its on-going one. It is also said that this automatic transmission will only available in the Elite i20 Elite version and not in its i20 Active version. but we can expect that Active i20 might get AT at later stage.

With the company’s plan to launch this variant in the coming months, this move is going to be an alarming one for all the other automakers to start launching the their on-going models in the automatic variant to attract many more buyers and be the leading competitor. Where the Maruti Celerio became the first leading Automatic variant hatchback, if this is the case, you never know, Hyundai Elite i20 AT in diesel might also be the part of the leading automatic variant model on the Indian roads.

We are hopeful from the spy photographers to give us some glance of the upcoming Elite i20 AT so that we are sure that the launch is near.
With Honda Jazz launching in a few weeks, this news might be really shocking to Honda who are not having a diesel AT. The CVT box with paddle shifters in petrol model was considered to be a differentiation. But if Hyundai comes with a 6 speed diesel AT, it might end up as a real bad news to Honda.
Vigkey is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 18:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour: Hyundai to launch Elite i20 AT Diesel!

I have said this before & once again. I love Hyundai for their sheer brilliance in product planning & execution. Probably, they read & understand the Indian market more than any one else. They are always one step ahead of the competition.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 18:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome news. Although a little doubtful if they would bring in the 6 Speed AT from the Elantra. They did not do it for the Verna refresh in spite of the competition having more advanced AT boxes. It should be a best seller even with the 4 -Speed AT they currently use in the petrol's (If the AT is capable of handling the diesel torque). I hope I am proved wrong.

If it is the 6 Speed AT, the 70K premium over the manual seems too good to be true. Currently for the Xcent Petrol itself, there is a 80K premium for the Xcent SX-O AT as compared to the Xcent SX-O Manual. That too for the old school 4 speed AT that they use across the range till the Verna. So for the 6 speed AT, that too diesel, I assume they would charge a higher premium.

In any case, I am sure there will be plenty of buyers whatever the cost.

Hope this pushes VW to come out with the GT TDI DSG AT also. That would make it happy times for the customers.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 18:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Wow. Excellent news. What's the current on road price for the corresponding manual diesel i20? I still maintain we need more D/AT options in the sub-10 lakh product range.
Old 29th May 2015, 19:26   #5
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2015 at 12:28.
NaveenKD is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th May 2015, 19:30   #6
BHPian

Re: Hyundai to launch Elite i20 AT in Diesel soon - Gaadiwaadi Exclusive

I hope this materializes unlike the news of the Grand i10 Diesel AT. It will really shake up the segment and should give Hyundai some insane volumes when it does come out. However this should compete directly against the DZire ZDi AT which should make it slightly tougher for it. Good times for the customer though. There is probably no better piece of mind than having a Diesel AT. I also have my doubts on this being a 6 speed AT. They cant have no distinguishing factors from a car costing twice (engine not withstanding)

I wonder why the petrol doesnt get an AT. Does it have to do with the Xcent having a petrol AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hope this pushes VW to come out with the GT TDI DSG AT also. That would make it happy times for the customers.
Well I dont know if they even care enough but this is a big opportunity missed. They should have come out with this atleast 5 years ago and they would have seen some crazy volumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Wow. Excellent news. What's the current on road price for the corresponding manual diesel i20? I still maintain we need more D/AT options in the sub-10 lakh product range.
Around 9.xx lacs so we can assume the Diesel + AT top end to touch 10lacs. To think the Vento and Rapid Diesel + DSG can be had for a couple of lacs more!
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 19:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
These are the Bangalore prices for the top variants. If they offer it in the top variant even assuming the 80k premium, it would cost 11L on road Bangalore. May be a little to much. I assume they would offer it in the sportz or sportz-o variant which will keep it under 10L on road in most places.

Sportz Diesel : Ex-showroom: Rs 7,64,866 On road: Rs 9,34,063
Sportz (O) Diesel: Ex-Showroom: Rs 7,97,796 On Road: Rs 9,73,404
Asta Diesel : Ex-Showroom: Rs 8,21,163 : On Road: Rs 10,01,321

Note: Prices from a Bangalore dealer website.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 29th May 2015 at 19:44.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 19:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I would take this news with a pinch of salt.

The facelifted Verna didn't get the 6-speed box, as Rajeevraj rightly pointed out. If at all they bring out the Elite i20 AT in CRDI form, it might be with the same ole' 4-speed box. Best thing to do is to utilise the existing but rather unnecessary Sportz (O) trim for the AT, which simply doesn't make sense to buy in it's MT form when it's priced so close to the Asta MT.

Better to file this under "Rumour" until some concrete news comes along. The ix25 launch should be the best indication - if they bring in an ix25 AT with a 6-speed option at an affordable price, there's a good chance we might see the same box in the Elite i20.

Else, doubtful.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th May 2015 at 19:40.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 19:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to hate Hyundais cause of stupid old stereotypes of Hyundai being cheap and all.

Then, it subsided after they launched the Genesis twins and the Equus.
Slowly, as i grew up, rationality kicked in and i started to feel, Hey. Hyundai is not bad, actually they look lot like how Toyota was in the early 80s.

But, in India, except for their smooth diesel engines i couldn't like anything about them. Yeah, styling was there, but then none of them were abuse friendy blah blah...

Sorry for going OT, but the thing is just wanted to tell, even with all the prejudice against Hyundai, the news of i20 coming with 6 A/T makes me go.
TAKE MY MONEY AND GIVE ME THE CAR.
Old 29th May 2015, 19:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I would take this news with a pinch of salt.
Absolutely RavenAvi, even I took this news with a pinch of salt. But the reason why I believe Gaadiwaadi has some solid backup for this news is, they had put this tweet a couple of days back.

Quote:
India's Best selling Car (in its Category) spied with amazing new feature, coming this Festival season - details on website soon. Any guess?
And today they have put up this news. I am sure they were referring to i20 itself.

Quote:
The facelifted Verna didn't get the 6-speed box, as Rajeevraj rightly pointed out. If at all they bring out the Elite i20 AT in CRDI form, it might be with the same ole' 4-speed box. Best thing to do is to utilise the existing but rather unnecessary Sportz (O) trim for the AT, which simply doesn't make sense to buy in it's MT form when it's priced so close to the Asta MT.
4S Verna is not an all-new car, it is just a face-lift. But Elite i20 is an all new car. If you see, Verna does not get many features available in i20 - this, I guess, will be one more to the list. I am very sure if Elite i20 is getting a 6 speed auto, iX25 will also get the same. The next gen Verna will either get the same 6 speed box or the new dual clutch box and Elantra will get the dual clutch box. This will create a very good product differentiation.

Another reason why they have not given the 6 speed in Verna - Verna is already dead, it has lived its wonderful life and now the City and Ciaz have murdered it. A 6-speed box is not going to make much difference. But i20 is a very new and hit car - this addition will be a clear differentiation from the AMT that Swift will get and the CVT in Jazz. Hyundai is not going to allow any of the competition come close to i20. Very bold and aggressive, I say.

Quote:
Better to file this under "Rumour" until some concrete news comes along. The ix25 launch should be the best indication - if they bring in an ix25 AT with a 6-speed option at an affordable price, there's a good chance we might see the same box in the Elite i20.
Maybe the mods can add the word Rumor in the title, I dont mind But as I said earlier, if i20 gets it iX25 will definitely get. I am not sure of the reverse though
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 21:55   #11
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Another reason why they have not given the 6 speed in Verna - Verna is already dead, it has lived its wonderful life and now the City and Ciaz have murdered it. A 6-speed box is not going to make much difference.
I was actually awaiting a 6-speed AT box in Verna 4S. Infact I had booked Xcent with dealer agreement to switch to Verna if I decide. However, I was disappointed that they continued old school 4-speed AT box in 4S and I proceeded with my Xcent booking. What I want to say is that while I agree with all your statements about Verna and also it might not have possibly made a difference to Verna sales, I most likely would have been a Verna owner right now and not Xcent owner had they plonked 6-speed box in it.

While the world have moved on to superior technologies in AT boxes, Hyundai should definitely get rid of their old school 4-speed box and make the 6-speed box standard - especially in their premium offerings. I would be happy if the 6-speed box makes it way in i20/ix25.
Old 29th May 2015, 23:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think vigkey has a valid point. Verna is now relegated to background with Honda City cornering that segment. May be they thought why flog a dead horse. Ok, it's not dead yet but you get the picture. Elite i20 on the other hand is all new and is all the rage right now so they don't want to leave out the AT-seeking crowd who were forced to look elsewhere. And this time the seem to have learnt their lesson and plonked a 6-speed, compared to Verna's stone-age 4-speed.

Now if this diesel+6-speed AT+mini-SUV package makes it to ix25, then heaven help Dusters and Ecosports. It will be sayonara to heavy diesel clutches. And it will have a market all the way up to under 30+ L. Because next stop for diesel AT SUV is 30+ L.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 08:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2015 at 12:30.
Equus is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th May 2015, 11:08   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Absolutely RavenAvi, even I took this news with a pinch of salt. But the reason why I believe Gaadiwaadi has some solid backup for this news is, they had put this tweet a couple of days back.

And today they have put up this news. I am sure they were referring to i20 itself.
Best selling car in it's segment will be the Dzire right and not the Elite i20. I think that tweet was for the Dzire AMT in ZDi spec they posted a little while later.

As for the AT box in the Elite i20. I believe the 6 speed in Elantra is imported vs the 4 speed one which has been localised. Not completely sure about this.

Even though the Verna is old in the market, I don't think Hyundai will get a 6 speed in Elite. Why kill the Verna so easily?

The Elite i20 is almost 10L in Bangalore on road for the Asta CRDi. The AT will result in it touching 11L.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 12:10   #15
MSC
BHPian

Excellent. One thing is for sure. Hyundai definitely knows how to ramp up its showrooms every now and then.
The only thing which the Hyundai elite i20 needs is a better and powerful petrol.
The present 1.2 Unit is woefully inadequate for a car of this size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks