Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2015, 14:35   #346
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

Thanks guys. In my mind I know the polo makes more sense for me as I am usually travelling by myself to office 5 days a week. The car is usually used for mall runs and some get tos over the weekend. However the main reason the family is leaning towards vento a bit is due to the existing car being an i20 which is still more spacious then the vento and the polo in my view. Although it does not haul as much luggage as the vento the backseat is very generous for a hatch.

FYI the comfortline vento loses out on steering controls, alloys, beige interiors, carbon fiber highlights, and bunch of chrome all around. I am happy not having the alloys as I don't like vento versions but steering controls stick out like a sore thumb. As i20 was filled with those fringe benefits 4 years back.

It's a thought that keeps coming back to my mind all Koreans want us to get pampered, all Japanese have their quirky designs but very functional products, Germans do what they want but can last very long as they know what they are doing and the Americans like it BIG. This is true of phones, cars and a bunch of other household items.

Old 11th November 2015, 15:06   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
However the main reason the family is leaning towards vento a bit is due to the existing car being an i20 which is still more spacious then the vento and the polo in my view. Although it does not haul as much luggage as the vento the backseat is very generous for a hatch.

FYI the comfortline vento loses out on steering controls, alloys, beige interiors, carbon fiber highlights, and bunch of chrome all around. I am happy not having the alloys as I don't like vento versions but steering controls stick out like a sore thumb. As i20 was filled with those fringe benefits 4 years back.

It's a thought that keeps coming back to my mind all Koreans want us to get pampered, all Japanese have their quirky designs but very functional products, Germans do what they want but can last very long as they know what they are doing and the Americans like it BIG. This is true of phones, cars and a bunch of other household items.

Make no mistake, the i20 IS more spacious than the Vento. The 5th passenger is quite tight in the Vento.
Since our previous ride was also an i20, we felt the Polo's rear leg room was too tight and was more 'Santro' levels. Else it would have been the 1.6 GT TDi then
As far as features are concerned, there is nothing you're gonna lose over your old Hyundai. All necessary features are present ( unless you fancy a touchscreen audio system).
Koreans may pamper you on paper but the Germans really know something on attention to detail and practicality.It's only after you spend a few weeks with the car that you begin to realise that( except for the squeaking windows- there is a solution though)
Old 11th November 2015, 16:11   #348
BHPian

Did the VW diesel-gate figure in any of your thoughts? I am planning on a new car and Vento TDI DSG is on the list. However, from the people who bought one recently I wanted to pick your thoughts.
Old 11th November 2015, 16:21   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Did the VW diesel-gate figure in any of your thoughts? I am planning on a new car and Vento TDI DSG is on the list. However, from the people who bought one recently I wanted to pick your thoughts.
I took delivery of my VW Vento Highline Plus on October 30th. And i totally agree with what Mr.Sorabjee had to say about the VW scandal. I don't think the Indian emission norms are as stringent as those of the United States or the EU. I second Mr.Sorabjee with his view that perhaps this is the best time to buy a VW.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look-1447238932223.jpg  

Old 15th November 2015, 14:31   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Booked the Vento HL TSI yesterday, Moving from Honda City, i will definitely miss the more space in City and personally i thought that city iVtec is still one of the best looking sedan(definitely better then its current facelift too)

Still deciding the color, has to be Toffe Brown or The Biege.
Old 17th November 2015, 02:18   #351
BHPian

Guys, one last question the pickup figures for the polo vs vento look pretty different. The polo does 0-100 in 9.9 while the vento does it in 13 seconds. Is that something any of you have validated? The weight difference is about 200 kgs between the two.
Old 17th November 2015, 10:24   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Guys, one last question the pickup figures for the polo vs vento look pretty different. The polo does 0-100 in 9.9 while the vento does it in 13 seconds. Is that something any of you have validated? The weight difference is about 200 kgs between the two.
Does not sound right. Where did you get the numbers from? From the online reviews what I consistently see is a 0-100 timing of ~10.8 sec for the Vento TSI.

Also, there is only a ~ 60kg difference between the 2. Polo GT TSI kerb weight is 1109 kg and he Vento TSI Kerb Weight is 1174kg

The Gross weight difference is higher: Gross vehicle weight for Polo TSI is 1580 kg. and for the Vento is 1720 kg. probably due to the fact that the Vento has a 55L Fuel tank and bigger boot as opposed to the Polo TSI.

(Source:Official Manual from the website)
Old 17th November 2015, 10:26   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

2015 Vento (w/ 2 airbags -exported-Made in India) gets 5 Star rating in recent Latin NCAP tests.

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th November 2015 at 10:54.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 19:09   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2015 Vento (w/ 2 airbags -exported-Made in India) gets 5 Star rating in recent Latin NCAP tests.
Really appreciate the build quality of VWs, even in India. It's quite telling of the car's structural integrity that the windshield doesn't shatter or even crack in these tests. The fenders collapse without damaging the front doors, so the doors can still be opened

Another point that I found interesting is that VW puts in quality parts even where they may cut costs. Look at the wing mirrors, they don't fold back or fall off like the mirrors of most other cars do when tested. Not so good when it comes to replacing them though, they are expensive!
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 20:55   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The weight mentioned in the Latin NCAP site is the 'crash test weight'. What is that? Does it include the weight of the dummies?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th November 2015 at 21:15. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
Old 17th November 2015, 21:12   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravcshah View Post
So when India switches to Euro 6 by 2020, does that mean I have to throw away my car?
We have a 1972 FIAT 1100D in the family, which may not meet the current emission regulations. Does it mean we throw away the car?

Nope.

Whenever new norms are prescribed; only the cars that are retailed at the moment must meet the norms in question.

Older cars can be kept on the road in a fully legal manner.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 21:20   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Is this the car which is sold in India or is it meant for exports only?
rselva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 21:57   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The weight mentioned in the Latin NCAP site is the 'crash test weight'. What is that? Does it include the weight of the dummies?
I'm guessing that it includes the weight of dummies and even fuel+ other fluids.
Could be wrong though.
Old 17th November 2015, 23:25   #359
BHPian

There is always a perceptible quality difference between cars made for the domestic market and those made for export, although both kinds would be manufactured in the same factory in India. No prizes for guessing which ones are better! So the point I am trying to make is that while these crash test results may be encouraging, they should not be misconstrued as being applicable to the VWs running on Indian tarmac.
Old 18th November 2015, 07:08   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselva View Post
Is this the car which is sold in India or is it meant for exports only?
Doesnt look like the car sold in Indian market. As the video shows driver on the left side.

It seems like a car made in India and exported to latin market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks