Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2016, 17:23   #481
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

Hi we own a 2014 VW vento and it has done 34k kms so far. On thursday I took it for its second general check up to shaman VW at sewri. Even after taking an appointment I had to wait nearly an our before anyone would see my car. A few of the attendants over there almost made me feel like they were doing me a favour by looking at our car . After examining the car the car sat idle for about an hour before being sent for an interior clean and exterior wash their excuse was that they were refering to a file to see various part nos and costs to prepare the estimate i had asked for which I still have not been properly given even in-spite of reminding them literally every 15 minutes of the car being there. They found the following problems with the car and the estimated costs are what the SA quoted without properly referring to anything.
1-Clutch pedal has become hard will need fixing they suspect the flywheel estimated cost around 50K
2-Steering Rack has play in it the only proof they had of this was by rotating the steering wheel a bit and claiming that there was a squeaking noise even though I insisted that the noise was coming from the tyres rubbing against the granite flooring. Estimated cost around 18k
3-Weak battery They claim they connected some sort of machine to the battery and it showed the battery to be weak which is weird as the car always starts on the first crank in the first go or very occasionally on the second crank. Estimated cost 8.5k
4-Broken armrest lock- Could not be bothered by this as the armrest in itself is pointless
5-Torn 'seats' Even after telling them that we had put seat covers over the original seats and those had torn they still included this for some reason
6-Driver window motor makes noise and needs replacing this is a problem my family and I have noticed as well had happened to the back left window as well went away on its own after a while. Estimated cost 800rs

What I fail to understand is my mother and trusted driver who drive this car don't find anything wrong with the clutch steering or battery more still my car is only 2 years old and done 34k kms. The steering rack I still understand MAY fail at some point because of the 17inch wheels I have on the car but I doubt so soon and Im pretty sure either my mom or driver will surely notice when it starts to give up. But we simply cant believe how the clutch could go so fast on a relatively new car. I also spoke to other vento owners (even one who has similar 17inch wheels on his car) and they all claimed that their batteries lasted them for about 3.5-4 years and they only had to have their clutches overhauled at 50k kms+ also that they never faced any issues with their steering racks

What do you'll think I should do ? Do you'll think VW is trying to rip us off?
We switched to VW from skoda because of the horrible ASS but its sad to know the story is pretty much the same with its sibling company. Mom has suggested showing the car for a general check up to an independent garage and if they find the above problems actually exist we give the car to vw to fix.
Old 13th August 2016, 19:20   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Hi we own a 2014 VW vento and it has done 34k kms so far.
Try referring another VW workshop. This workshop seems to be taking you for a royal ride as far as the clutch and battery are concerned!
If the steering column is really kaput, you can always get it done via warranty. Get that checked anyway since a lot of people had to change it.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2016 at 22:51. Reason: Reduced quoted content
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 20:28   #483

Good evening everyone!

Here goes my first post.
Request to Mods - please feel free to move or delete this post in case you find it inappropriate.

After a lot of reading, researching, in this very forum, I finally decided to go with the Vento. My previous car was a Ford Fiesta which I bought in 2007 and sold it off last week. Since that was my only mode of commute, I wanted a replacement ASAP. Initially, I wanted to go for a sub-4 metre SUV and was heavily inclined towards the Maruti Suzuki Brezza. Unfortunately, the waiting period was a real deal breaker. For some reason the EcoSport never caught my eye in terms of design. And again my budget was not more than 15L (including all costs) hence, bigger SUVs were simply ruled out. Additionally, I felt the Safari, Terrano and the Duster were almost towards the end of their shelf life and XUV had way too many issues. I was never a fan of the Scorpio and the recent news about being one of the most unsafe car in India, it just never made it to my "cars-to-think-about" list. Eventually, SUV dream was broken.

Coming down to sedans I had Honda City, Hyundai Verna and Maruti Ciaz in my mind and after a few sleepless nights I decided to go with the Vento. But, I later realized that I had completely ignored the Linea. I also had to ignore the rumors of the new facelift Vento (which is expected just around the corner) as I needed something immediately.

My usage is mostly in the city and occasional highway runs amounting to not more than 700KM a month. I had done 95K kilometers in the Ford Fiesta since 2007 and that included a Chennai-Mumbai round trip. That concludes that a petrol is best suited for my needs. As per the suggestions and posts from fellow BHPians, I finalized on the TSI DSG.

Now it was time to contact the available dealers and see what was on offer. So, I placed an inquiry in two of them and understood that the discounts were not great except 50K VW discount. I started negotiating for value adds and ended up getting Extended Warranty for 2 years and Elite Insurance for free. So the total amount in discounts was ~82K and I decided to go for it and booked the car. I am expecting it to get delivered by early September.

Here's what is itching my mind ever since I booked and I thought of seeking some expert help:

1. Do you feel I had a "fair-enough" deal?
2. I wanted it in Carbon Steel / Toffee Brown. But only colors available were White and Silver. And I had to settle down with silver (my previous car was silver as well) - What are your views on this color?
3. A facelift is just about to arrive - Should I have waited for that?
4. I am planning to do a Chennai-Kolhapur trip by the end of September with my family - Is it advisable? Or shall I run the car in the city for a 1000/1500 kms before taking it to the highway.
5. Is it better to run it on high-octane (speed/speed 97) fuel or the regular one is just fine?

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 28th August 2016, 22:26   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diganta.gogoi View Post

Here's what is itching my mind ever since I booked and I thought of seeking some expert help:

2. I wanted it in Carbon Steel / Toffee Brown. But only colors available were White and Silver. And I had to settle down with silver (my previous car was silver as well) - What are your views on this color?
4. I am planning to do a Chennai-Kolhapur trip by the end of September with my family - Is it advisable? Or shall I run the car in the city for a 1000/1500 kms before taking it to the highway.
5. Is it better to run it on high-octane (speed/speed 97) fuel or the regular one is just fine?

Thanks for your inputs.
Congrats on the booking. Few inputs.

1. Definitely not a bad deal. But I am a poor negotiator, so to me it is a great deal. Only point is that the savings on insurance is a little inflated since you would have got a much lower quote outside. But at the same time, the Elite Insurance is typically not available outside the dealer (Has the full vehicle replacement cost in case of a write-off). Very useful if you end up having to use it.

2 Why only White and Silver? Only colors available with the dealer or are these colors on the way? If these are cars in stock, assume you have checked the VIN Number to validate the manufacturing date.

3.There is no clear info on the face-lift yet. If it were the diesel dsg, then definitely would have been worth waiting as it would get a retuned engine. I doubt anything much will change in the TSI. The price will be higher and you won't get the deals that you got.

4. No issues taking it on a long drive. It will actually be good. Just don't drive aggressively with a heavy foot, but that the same time, smoothly take it across the RPM range in both D and S mode.

5. Regular fuel is fine. But it definitely performs better on Speed 97 as per reports from Polo TSI owners. Personally have not been able to verify as availability is an issue. So if Speed 97 is easily available for your regular usage, would be good to use that. But no harm with regular petrol.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 22:46   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congrats on the booking. Few inputs.

1. Definitely not a bad deal. But I am a poor negotiator, so to me it is a great deal. Only point is that the savings on insurance is a little inflated since you would have got a much lower quote outside. But at the same time, the Elite Insurance is typically not available outside the dealer (Has the full vehicle replacement cost in case of a write-off). Very useful if you end up having to use it.

2 Why only White and Silver? Only colors available with the dealer or are these colors on the way? If these are cars in stock, assume you have checked the VIN Number to validate the manufacturing date.

3.There is no clear info on the face-lift yet. If it were the diesel dsg, then definitely would have been worth waiting as it would get a retuned engine. I doubt anything much will change in the TSI. The price will be higher and you won't get the deals that you got.

4. No issues taking it on a long drive. It will actually be good. Just don't drive aggressively with a heavy foot, but that the same time, smoothly take it across the RPM range in both D and S mode.

5. Regular fuel is fine. But it definitely performs better on Speed 97 as per reports from Polo TSI owners. Personally have not been able to verify as availability is an issue. So if Speed 97 is easily available for your regular usage, would be good to use that. But no harm with regular petrol.
Thank you RajeevRaj.

The points you added definitely helps to lighten up.

Yes White and Silver were the only colors available at the time of booking and other colors had a waiting period of 5-6 weeks. But I could not wait. On the VIN - I have not actually. So will take your advice, will go dig up the VIN thread and will confirm that with the showroom tomorrow.

Speed 97 is easily available at my location, but not sure if I can get it on highways - in case if I do the trip as mentioned.

Again, thanks for your inputs.
Old 28th August 2016, 23:01   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your inputs.
Congratulations! Welcome to the family!
I can answer some of your questions -
1. Fair enough deal? I thought you booked the car! And I believe that's because you found value in it! With respect to question 3, you can say that you saved 82k+ the raise in prices compared to the upcoming facelift.

2. Colour of the car is very personal. Silver is classy. No more comments.

3. The facelift, I understand will have a few more added features! Worth waiting? Maybe no considering the discounts obtained.

4. As with any new car, getting used to it should be your priority. The tyres and brakes will perform optimally only after 600kms or so depending on your driving habits, conditions etc. As far as the engine break in is concerned, we have a big thread in this forum
Personally, I feel that engine break in isn't a big deal considering the fact that manufacturing technology has improved a lot. Precision and materials used are way ahead compared to the situation 15 years ago. Many others wouldn't agree though.
Mind you, the DSG gearbox and ECU will learn your driving habits. So do remember about that if you're following the break in procedure.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 23:03   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Good evening everyone!

Thanks for your inputs.
1. You have got a very good deal. I took delivery of a TSI last week, the total discount I got is approx Rs 60k, that too after the dealer misrepresented facts, I wanted to cancel, and they cajoled me with an additional Rs 5k discount. I got zero dep insurance done for Rs 34k by approaching an insurance company directly.

2. Looking at the waiting time it appears that order is going to be placed at the factory. So why can't you choose any colour you want from the standard palette?

By the way, what is this impending facelift? I thought new version is coming up next year.

Last edited by Guite : 28th August 2016 at 23:09. Reason: Comment added
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 23:57   #488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Congratulations! Welcome to the family!
I can answer some of your questions -
1. Fair enough deal? I thought you booked the car! And I believe that's because you found value in it! With respect to question 3, you can say that you saved 82k+ the raise in prices compared to the upcoming facelift.

2. Colour of the car is very personal. Silver is classy. No more comments.

3. The facelift, I understand will have a few more added features! Worth waiting? Maybe no considering the discounts obtained.

4. As with any new car, getting used to it should be your priority. The tyres and brakes will perform optimally only after 600kms or so depending on your driving habits, conditions etc. As far as the engine break in is concerned, we have a big thread in this forum
Personally, I feel that engine break in isn't a big deal considering the fact that manufacturing technology has improved a lot. Precision and materials used are way ahead compared to the situation 15 years ago. Many others wouldn't agree though.
Mind you, the DSG gearbox and ECU will learn your driving habits. So do remember about that if you're following the break in procedure.
Thank you Turbohead for your valuable insights. Yes! break-in is a very subjective topic. I will definitely keep your suggestions on point#4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
1. You have got a very good deal. I took delivery of a TSI last week, the total discount I got is approx Rs 60k, that too after the dealer misrepresented facts, I wanted to cancel, and they cajoled me with an additional Rs 5k discount. I got zero dep insurance done for Rs 34k by approaching an insurance company directly.

2. Looking at the waiting time it appears that order is going to be placed at the factory. So why can't you choose any colour you want from the standard palette?

By the way, what is this impending facelift? I thought new version is coming up next year.

I wanted to approach the insurance company but I was already late in booking the car (in terms of personal commitments)

With the existing color - the only delay would be the finance processing and vehicle registration - the other colors would take much longer to become available and hence delivery would have been further delayed. But as RajeevRaj mentioned I still have to verify the VIN tomorrow and if it's an older stock, I might as well wait and go for another color. Facelift or new version, it's is a shady discussion as of now - I believe.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th September 2016 at 07:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi quote option (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 29th August 2016, 06:24   #489
BHPian

Guys I'm being offered an year old Vento TSI highline demo car. It has approx 4000 kms on the odometer. The same is being offered with a discount of 3 lacs. Standard warranties are applicable on the same.

Does it make sense to buy this vehicle assuming that it would have been abused like hell over these 4000 kms?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th September 2016 at 07:41. Reason: m > I'm
Old 29th August 2016, 07:54   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Guys I'm being offered an year old Vento TSI highline demo car. It has approx 4000 kms on the odometer. The same is being offered with a discount of 3 lacs. Standard warranties are applicable on the same.

Does it make sense to buy this vehicle assuming that it would have been abused like hell over these 4000 kms?
We're talking about a DSG gearbox here! You really don't want to take that much risk. I've heard people even drift on demo cars especially the Polo GT's. 3 lakhs is still too less a discount for an abused one year old car.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th September 2016 at 07:41. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 29th August 2016, 08:40   #491
BHPian

While the Vento has aged remarkably well with periodic updates to the design, isn't it about time an all new model came out? Given that in its current guise, the Vento has been around for 6 years since launch, are there any plans for an all new model in the next couple of years?
Old 29th August 2016, 10:54   #492
BHPian

Quote:

The most apparent damage in a test drive car is the suspension. I have taken Vento and Skoda Rapid test drive from multiple dealers and the most common problems are:

1. Engine check light ON which they blame on simple fuse problem. If its such a simple problem why couldn't they just change the fuse?
2. Suspension. Well, everyone wants to test the suspension and hit potholes harder than they would in their own car.

Unless you can negotiate complete overhaul (replacement) of gearbox and suspension under warranty immediately after delivery, it seems too risky.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th September 2016 at 07:42. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 30th August 2016, 11:47   #493
BHPian

Quote:

Please don't. You never know how much it is abused until you buy it. Why wouldn't you buy a new one? I am sure you can narrow the 3L difference with some really good negotiation skills. Simple out of the gate, you may get at least a 20k by buying insurance outside. Reject all their not-standard accessories and get them fitted outside. Also, haggle on the handling charges. Just those three should get you 25-30k. The rest, you may want to wait for the upcoming festival period and then look for discounts. Always, pit dealers against each other if you're serious to buy the car. They can really work to get their sale.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th September 2016 at 07:42. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 6th September 2016, 02:27   #494
BHPian

Hello everyone, I'm proud owner of Vento TDI DSG highline. I love every bit of it. After reading so many posts, I feel that I got a nice deal.

I really feel sad for those who are ripped by showrooms. I'm looking at price quotation around 15 lacs for TDI DSG highline variant. I got my car for way less than that.

My advice is, try to avoid calls from them. Once you decide to buy that car, go with chequebook and negotiate on table. Do proper research before buying as price quotations they give are completely different and at some point overpriced. I don't trust their prices and I'll tell you why.

I'm sharing this incident with you guys so that you can know the reality. I sent my friend to showroom for price quotations and details in last week of February. They gave him price quotation of Vento TDI DSG highline of about 13.60 lacs OTR for December 2015 model and told him that prices are gonna increase once the budget is out.

In first week of March I visited same dealership and I was shocked to see the price quotation difference of the same. They quoted me 14.20 lacs OTR for same model and everything. After discounts the final price was 13.72 OTR. After all the discussions I showed them price quotation earlier they gave to my friend and they were speechless.

They could have jumped the scenario but unfortunately they printed same date on both the quotations which was 23/2/2016. And I was really disappointed with this matter. They apologised me and said they will give me 2016 model car with same rates of 2015 model.

I got my Vento TDI DSG for 13.10(without HU and IRVM) lacs OTR after lots of ignoring and bargaining on table. I'm sharing the actual price so that you can get an idea.

NOTE - This price may vary depending on where you are situated. This is just to give you an idea about to what extent one can negotiate. NO OFFENCE.

Thanks.
Old 6th September 2016, 21:34   #495
BHPian

Anybody has update on the new Vento refresh with LED lights and reverse camera? Is it expected this Diwali?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks