Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2015, 11:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

Mod Note: For the full Vento road test, click here.

The 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 7.85 - 11.87 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

Ever since its launch in 2010, the Vento hasn't witnessed any dramatic improvements cosmetically. Changes have mainly been under the hood (engine & transmission updates) and on the feature list. Yes, its design is understated and timeless, but the fact is, the Vento is starting to look outdated. Segment leader - the Honda City - has moved to an all-new generation, while the challenger - Maruti Suzuki - has introduced the new Ciaz. The fluidic Verna was launched after the Vento, and it has already been through a facelift. VW also had to face internal rivalry when Skoda launched the mechanically-identical Rapid.

The next-generation Vento isn't expected for at least another 2 years, so this 2015 update is a small attempt at freshening things up a bit. There's only so much you can do with what is essentially one of the oldest cars in the C2 sedan segment. That's precisely why you see VW using one of the older techniques to push out excess stock. Take regular variants, add some equipment and give it a fancy name - a limited edition is born (à la Maruti)! The Vento sure has had an unusually large number of limited editions.

2010:
• Volkswagen Vento launched in India. Goes on to outsell the City in some months!

2011:
IPL Edition
Breeze Edition
More features on the Vento

2012:
• A Comfortline variant finds itself positioned between the Trendline (base) and Highline (top) variants
IPL Edition II
Vento refresh

2013:
Style Edition
Corporate Edition
Vento 1.2L TSi + DSG; 1.6L A/T discontinued

2014:
Preferred Edition
Konekt Edition
Vento refresh; 1.5L diesel replaces the 1.6L. Additionally, the 1.5L + DSG combo introduced.

2015:

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd June 2015 at 13:36.
S2!!! is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

So, what's new on the outside?

In this whole 'family face' philosophy, the smaller/cheaper car benefits the most. e.g. Audi A3 capitalizes on the looks of the A8, BMW 5-Series on the 7-Series and so on. In this case too, the Vento commands the appeal of its more expensive siblings:

I love the clean front-end styling:

Side profile remains unchanged. The facelift is longer and taller than the older car by 6 mm (4,390 mm) and 1 mm (1,467 mm) respectively. Ground clearance has gone down by 2 mm (163 mm):

This Titanium Beige colour and the chrome bits bring some premium-ness:

Don't blink! You might miss the changes to the rear . The boot is very neatly executed, like it was always designed to be a sedan:

A new 3-slat chrome grille is the first noticeable change at the front. The VW logo has moved downwards and the grille is now taller...

...Result: the bonnet and bumper have a clean line without any cut to accommodate the logo:

Double barrel halogen headlamps carried forward from the refreshed Vento. Why couldn't we get the projector headlamps of the Russian Vento?

Redesigned air-dam with a chunky chrome underlining (similar to the Passat). The bumper design is new too:

New fog lamps double-up as cornering lights. The fog lamps were earlier round, but are now exactly the same as the Polo's. They have a dummy reflector where the DRLs sit in the international version:

Notice the prominent new bonnet line:

No changes underneath the bonnet, although VW claims that the car is now up to 7.5% more fuel-efficient:

Chassis number can be found on the lower side of the windscreen. Check out the attention to detail - VW logo printed in the background:

ORVMs now get integrated blinkers:

Thank God, VW designers haven't gone overboard with the chrome. The door handles have a subtle chrome lining:

Our test car wore Apollo Alnac shoes. While the rim pattern is similar to the Polo's, opinions will be divided. I found them boring, some others thought the alloy wheels are classy:

Laser-welded roof for added strength. It eliminates the need of the rubber beading seen in other cars (to cover the marks made during spot welding):

Shorter roof antenna - a welcome change:

New tail-lamps. The elements are smartly designed to make them appear like LEDs:

Right tail-lamp has a rear fog light, while the left one has a reversing light:

A new chrome strip connects the tail-lamps. Full VOLKSWAGEN badge was removed in 2014. Also, the Vento and TDi badges have moved lower:

LED number plate lights & soft-touch boot opening switch:

A visible chrome muffler tip. Don't miss the redesigned reflectors and 2nd chrome strip on the bumper. Too much chrome at the rear, if you ask me. 4 parking sensors (Skoda Rapid makes do with 3):

Last edited by GTO : 14th July 2015 at 15:08. Reason: soft-touch boot opening switch
S2!!! is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 11:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

So, what's new on the inside?

Walnut Desert Beige interior theme on the Vento Highline. It's a darker shade of beige. The lower Trendline & Comfortline variants get Cloud Titanschwarz interiors:

Flat-bottom steering wheel wrapped in leather. The left side has the audio controls, while the right side has phone, MID and voice command controls:

Cruise control on the left stalk, no changes on the right stalk:

Same old instrument cluster. The needles remain backlit at all times:

The MID features a speed limiter, digital speedometer, average speed, fuel tank range, average fuel consumption and an engine temperature readout (Celsius):

A new dead pedal adds to the comfort levels during long drives. Notice the illuminated footwell:

Finally, the ORVMs can be retracted electronically:

Leatherette seats:

VW should have thrown in scuff plates:

The matte-silver centre console tilts towards the driver:

Since this was the DSG variant, ASR/traction control is standard. Other than when starting off on snow (unlikely in India), don't touch this button:

Ancient looking head-unit. Must say that sound quality from the 4 speakers is good:

I was driving the 7-speed DSG + diesel car. To know how this engine & transmission perform, click here:

The Russian Vento gets a sunglass-holder here; the 2010 Vento had motion detectors. This one has neither one!

Among the more comfortable OEM armrests:

Large glovebox, segmented to place different items:

What's new is the cooling vent inside! Keep that Pepsi cool:

I love how the driver can see the ORVM indicator lights from inside, without it ever distracting him/her:

Only the armrest is padded (not the other beige insert):

A look at the rear seat:

Last edited by Aditya : 1st June 2015 at 21:10. Reason: fahrenheit to celsius
S2!!! is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 11:23   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 12:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Not a fan of the extra chrome on the front and rear bumper as well as the door handles. Apart from that this is quite a decent facelift.

The extra features are welcome although nothing that will distinguish from the competition. Only USP of the Vento is the 7 speed DSG and the 1.2TSI engine.

I can only see that the interior beige is not a darker shade. Earlier the shade was on the lighter side of beige/offshite. Now there's a warmer tone to the beige which makes it more upmarket.

VW should look at getting the Vento GT variant with all black interiors and no chrome on outside. Should go well with the Rapid black edition.
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 12:55   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Only USP of the Vento is the 7 speed DSG and the 1.2TSI engine.
I would say the real USP is the DSG with the 1.5L TDI! There are innumerable petrol automatics in the segment. How many diesel automatics? The Vento TDI DSG drives really well...the DSG is perfectly matched to that engine.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 13:30   #7
BHPian

I know a few people who have kept away from the Vento/Polo DSG just due to it's reliability issue.
If VW would throw in the 10 year gearbox warranty for DSG that it offers in China, the Vento would be a strong contender in the diesel auto segment. Further, I still wonder why VW does not want to introduce a MT variant with the TSI engine. This facelift was a good opportunity to do so.

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2015 at 14:35. Reason: Typo
govindremesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 14:32   #8
BHPian

Overall, it's quite a tastefully done facelift. Love the new Passat-ish face, it does look more premium now. At the rear, it's does seem like there's too much chrome. Perhaps, one less lining could've done the job.
I always thought those new tail-lamps were LEDs but I guess this report clarifies they are not, but only have an LED like appearance!
Old 31st May 2015, 15:05   #9
BHPian

Typical German business saloon perfect for a gentleman, nothing looks sporty except for the flat bottom steering wheel. The Vento looks more matured and classy from its original avatar back in 2010. Every single update is thoughtful and well designed. I personally don't like chrome but those chrome bits add to the classy saloon looks and majority Indians will love it especially the door handles, Passat like front and the rear bumper. Even though chrome bits are more, they are not thick and in your face like in Japanese saloons in the segment. No other car in its class looks so elegant and classy as this VW.

Last edited by Torino : 31st May 2015 at 15:12. Reason: spelling
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 15:22   #10
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2015 at 14:36.
Nilay is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st May 2015, 18:45   #11
BHPian

Nice write up. As a Vento owner who loves to drive it on long distance cruises, I have to say I am smitten with the car. Just took it on a 1400 kms round trip to my hometown and back.

So on to more important matters. Which of these upgrades can be fitted on to a 2013 Vento 1.6 L diesel highline? I'd love that integrated turn indicators and the tail-lamps. Is the headlamp design different from the 2013 model? I'd so wish for projectors. Another member mentioned in the other thread that he would be looking at these. Are they available OEM?
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 19:04   #12
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'd so wish for projectors.
With the next generation Vento atleast 2yrs away, me thinks VW India is going to save the projector headlamps for the next facelift mid or late next year.
PPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 21:44   #13
BHPian

I guess I finally have to bite the bullet and buy this... really wish it had the projectors & DRLs :( Hopefully once they do launch it next year & they can be retro fitted onto this version. The rear chrome could have been a tad less & I would have at least liked an option of an all black interior. Still overall a nice face lift, makes the vento look refreshed.

Yes please with a better tune of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
VW should look at getting the Vento GT variant with all black interiors and no chrome on outside.

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2015 at 14:37. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 1st June 2015, 09:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

So on to more important matters. Which of these upgrades can be fitted on to a 2013 Vento 1.6 L diesel highline? I'd love that integrated turn indicators and the tail-lamps.

I know this is considering the thread I am posting this on, but as Mad Max has already raised the question, I also had couple from my end:

1. If not the turn indicators, can the auto-folding motor(?) on the Face-lifted Vento be retro-fitted onto the Polo ?

2. This is not a must have, but is it possible to install an A/C duct into the Glove box on the pre-facelift Vento and Polo, just like the new one has ?

I wouldn't really bother about the '2' but the point '1' will be the best and probably the most important add-on in a city like Bangalore.
Old 1st June 2015, 09:46   #15
Team-BHP Support

Decent facelift overall, pretty much aligned to the facelifted Jetta. It would have nice if they got in a few more safety additions (for e.g.; side/curtain airbags) to go along. And I don't understand why manufacturers in this segment still skip the 3-point seatbelt for the rear middle passenger! Not too much of a cost addition I believe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks