Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2019, 00:12   #241
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, codenamed "X451"

If this car features the Nexon's 1.5L diesel turbo rocket, then I'm practically sold. Rumours confirm my wishes, and I am waiting, fingers crossed, for the official announcement.

Digital instrument cluster, interiors that leave the rest of the segment in the dust and a level of build quality I will vouch for, anyday. I won't even care to mention anything on the safety front as, I assume, by now we all know that Tata's the main name when it comes to safety. Oh and not to forget the elephant in the room, the 1.5L diesel, which will make it the most powerful hatchback in it's segment, well above anything else. 108 bhp and 260 NM of torque, no other way to describe it, other than - delicious.
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 10:14   #242
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, codenamed "X451"

Tata 45X premium hatchback spied in detail on Pune – Satara highway

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190120103829_chrome.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190120103915_chrome.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190120104040_chrome.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190120104012_chrome.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190120103852_chrome.jpg  

JS Kwt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 20:50   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, codenamed "X451". EDIT : Named Altroz

Tata 45X-based Hatchback India Launch By June 2019.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 19:58   #244
BHPian

Tata Motors to debut four models at Geneva

In another article.

Quote:
The next big thing from Tata Motors will come in August; with the launch of the production-spec 45X; a brand-new rival to the Maruti Suzuki Baleno and Hyundai i20. It’ll be the second Tata to sport the brand’s new Impact Design 2.0 language. Spotted testing previously, the interior of the production-spec 45X will likely get a largest-in-its-class touchscreen infotainment system, a part-digital instrument cluster and a T-shaped centre console with AC vents under the centre screen. Expect more powerful versions of the Nexon’s 1.2-litre petrol and 1.5-litre diesel engines to be offered with the 45X. Gearbox duties will likely be taken care of by a 6-speed manual, and there’s also a dual-clutch gearbox in development.

Could this be true? Especially given that few new transmissions are being worked upon by global majors, given the impending entry of EVs?

Someone with birds chirping could throw some light.
aditya79india is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 08:13   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Tata Motors to debut four models at Geneva

In another article.

Could this be true? Especially given that few new transmissions are being worked upon by global majors, given the impending entry of EVs?

Someone with birds chirping could throw some light.
I was already sold when I heard that it would have the Nexon's 1.5L diesel pocket rocket, but if it has a dual clutch as well, then I think I should start saving up right now.

This is going to absolutely blitz the completion, even if it doesn't have a DCT. One hell of a car.
Old 7th February 2019, 19:38   #246
BHPian

What test mule is this

Came across this car on the office commute
Found the tail lamp oddly amusing.
Thought may be worth posting it here if someone can help figure out what it is
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ed57b99fed28491583a1c6ec37be398c.jpeg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-3afec3cccbe04257bf1f1235f60810bb.jpeg  

abhi182 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 19:50   #247
BHPian

Re: What test mule is this

Looks like the Tata 45x
Old 15th February 2019, 23:36   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Some info on the X451 codenamed "Aquila", thanks to one of my birdies:

- Petrol version will be equipped with ISG - Integrated Starter Generator, which is a mild-hybrid/micro-hybrid system. When in neutral and with the release of the clutch, the engine will automatically switch off.

- Diesel version won't be equipped with ISG. It will come with Cruise Control, though.

- A digital tachometer, as seen on the Harrier, will be on offer.

- Doors close with a loud thud, as felt on German-built cars. Which gives the impression that build quality will be top notch.
RavenAvi is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 13:17   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
thanks to one of my birdies:
Any chance you could kindly prize out some information regarding future in-house petrol power plants, especially of the 4 cylinder variety?

With more bigger models joining the Tata portfolio, will be interesting to know what petrol engines will power the likes of Harrier etc
Old 16th February 2019, 13:25   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
If this car features the Nexon's 1.5L diesel turbo rocket, then I'm practically sold.
Oh and not to forget the elephant in the room, the 1.5L diesel, which will make it the most powerful hatchback in it's segment, well above anything else. 108 bhp and 260 NM of torque, no other way to describe it, other than - delicious.
I wouldn't be that excited if I were you, as the info we have now is that the engine would be detuned to produce figures similar to 1.3 Multijet VGT. It is better to be surprised pleasantly than to be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The X451 hatch shall be offered with a de-tuned version of the Nexon's 1.5L turbocharged diesel engine, which will produce ~90PS of power & ~200Nm of torque (between 1500RPM-2750RPM).

Last edited by theredliner : 16th February 2019 at 13:27.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 22:08   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I wouldn't be that excited if I were you, as the info we have now is that the engine would be detuned to produce figures similar to 1.3 Multijet VGT. It is better to be surprised pleasantly than to be disappointed.
Well, you still have the build quality, which is ages better than the paper thin Baleno and the i20. You have the segment first digital instrument cluster, and knowing Tata, the interior will be a segment above in terms of quality.

Besides, it's still speculation about the detuning, isn't it? I wouldn't be disappointed tbh, if it does have a detuned version because I've already made up my mind. Unless they make it something in the level of a Celerio or something, I'll be fine with it. I guess I can sacrifice a few horses for a better built car.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 01:30   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Well, you still have the build quality, which is ages better than the paper thin Baleno and the i20...I wouldn't be disappointed tbh, if it does have a detuned version because I've already made up my mind...

Its a problem - a superior thud will mean more weight. Along with it, a detuned engine is set to be lower on pace / acceleration. And it may be perceivable while driving. I'd anyday pick up a car which is fast as well as high on build quality (retaining the same tune). I like fast cars - no points in guessing, what's my preference.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th February 2019 at 01:31.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 07:47   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Its a problem - a superior thud will mean more weight. Along with it, a detuned engine is set to be lower on pace / acceleration. And it may be perceivable while driving. I'd anyday pick up a car which is fast as well as high on build quality (retaining the same tune). I like fast cars - no points in guessing, what's my preference.
Neither the baleno nor the i20 are high on build quality. Especially the baleno, while the i20 is a bit better. If the Nexon's turbo diesel is plonked in without any detuning then that will be the fastest, and the safest in the segment. Best of both worlds. If it is only detuned slightly, like Mahindra did with the Marazzo engine in the XUV, I would still have the safest one in the segment, and maybe later I can take it for a remap.

I made up my mind with the Aquilla for the lack of a better option for me. No way I'm putting my life in a maruti hatchback, Hyundai is also questionable but a lot better, if the detuning is extremely terrible ( 70-75 HP ? ), then I might just go for a diesel i20, the jazz is not my type, so Honda is ruled out, the Polo is way too old, and there's no way I'm touching a Punto with a 10 foot pole considering I don't want to run behind a manufacturer that's fast packing it's bags up.
Old 17th February 2019, 08:17   #254
BHPian

Tata has mastered the art of 'Test Mule marketing'. The Test cars are spotted in public to make sure that thier test mules will be featured in leading auto news or should I say that other manufacturer test mules don't generate this level of interest.
If we watch closely after every Tata launch, the next big launch will enter into the mainstream auto news. They make sure that the enthusiasts who follow their launches will get the bits and bites to enjoy what they follow.
For me and for many over here it is very entertaining. Keep the game going Tata.
albertprince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 10:00   #255
BHPian

Any clue on when are they planning to launch the car? I find it stupid that Tata is not launching the XTA variants in Nexon, so my guess is that this car with AMT/Conventional Auto box might fit in my budget.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed