Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 10:14   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, codenamed "X451". EDIT : Named Altroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Neither the baleno nor the i20 are high on build quality. Especially the baleno, while the i20 is a bit better. If the Nexon's turbo diesel is plonked in without any detuning then that will be the fastest, and the safest in the segment. Best of both worlds. If it is only detuned slightly, like Mahindra did with the Marazzo engine in the XUV, I would still have the safest one in the segment, and maybe later I can take it for a remap.

I made up my mind with the Aquilla for the lack of a better option for me. No way I'm putting my life in a maruti hatchback, Hyundai is also questionable but a lot better, if the detuning is extremely terrible ( 70-75 HP ? ), then I might just go for a diesel i20, the jazz is not my type, so Honda is ruled out, the Polo is way too old, and there's no way I'm touching a Punto with a 10 foot pole considering I don't want to run behind a manufacturer that's fast packing it's bags up.
I understand that you are really excited about the new premium hatchback from Tata but that does not mean other cars in this segment are worthless. How are you measuring build quality to say that I20 has a poor build quality? And what about quality, reliability, A.S.S? This car is not even launched and you are assuming it to be the safest. Just because the Nexon did well on NCAP tests, does not mean same will be true for this car. And AFAIK, the I20 is a globally sold model with good crash safety rating.

We all have our preferences but your repeated views in this thread looks biased. Would appreciate if you can provide a more balanced opinion.

Thanks
Aadi
adimicra is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 12:46   #257
Senior - BHPian

So i spotted this on Pune Mumbai highway on Saturday.
From traffic light it pulled out fast, did few Schumacher flicks to over take traffic in front. One Kodiaq also tried to get close to it, but failed. But nothing compared to my Cheetah and caught him in no time😁
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1550473725554.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1550473736249.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1550473747457.jpg  

nitinralli is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:02   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I understand that you are really excited about the new premium hatchback from Tata but that does not mean other cars in this segment are worthless. How are you measuring build quality to say that I20 has a poor build quality? And what about quality, reliability, A.S.S? This car is not even launched and you are assuming it to be the safest. Just because the Nexon did well on NCAP tests, does not mean same will be true for this car. And AFAIK, the I20 is a globally sold model with good crash safety rating.

We all have our preferences but your repeated views in this thread looks biased. Would appreciate if you can provide a more balanced opinion.

Thanks
Aadi
I do not want to go off-topic, but I didn't mean to escalate anything or to offend anyone, in-case I did, my apologies. Never said the i20 had poor build quality, but compared to say, a VW Polo or a Punto, it is average, is what I really meant to say, I can see when I wrote the previous reply, it came out wrong. I like to think, we BHPians, as enthusiasts, all agree that for south of 15 lacs, considering the factor of build quality alone, nothing can match the VWs. They are built like a tank and correct me if I am wrong, but they are the only company in the budget range that implements laser welding for their cars.

Actually, excluding the Polo, I think it is one of the better off cars when it comes to safety, considering now they offer 6 airbags in the Asta(O), and I myself have driven the diesel i20 and am a huge fan of the CRDi's sheer thrust, and if, as someone above mentioned about the Aquilla featuring a detuned version of the 1.5L RTQ, the detuning in the Aquilla is unacceptable, my next choice ( or rather, my only choice left ) would certainly be the i20 diesel. The engine is that good, have given some more expensive cars like the Ciaz a pleasant surprise on the highway. And yes, since marutis in my price range are a no-no for me, the next company that has a stellar dealer network and service quality is, undoubtedly Hyundai.

I stand by what I said about the Baleno, no offense to the company or to any Baleno owner in this thread. Yes, it is a VFM proposition considering it offers a good features list and also offers very good mileage figures as well, but as mentioned in the official Team-BHP review as well, it is built light, and I cannot put my money on something like that. They do make some well built cars, like the S-Cross and the Brezza, but the S-Cross is way too expensive for me and the Brezza feels cheap for the price that they demand for it.
SaiSW is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 10:37   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never said the i20 had poor build quality, but compared to say, a VW Polo or a Punto, it is average, is what I really meant to say, I can see when I wrote the previous reply, it came out wrong.
Considering the fact that i20 got a disappointing 3-star safety rating, I would say you weren't much off, quality needs to be skin deep, not just the fit and finish of what we see and touch!

3-Star rating is even more disappointing, when you consider that it is one of the most expensive car in its segment!

Coming back to topic, if this car gets diesel auto box, then I would surely love to exchange my Tigor! Tata seems to be quiet late for the Hatchback party, hope doesn't go the Zest way.
giri1.8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 18:32   #260
BHPian

Production model to be showcased at Geneva International Motor Show 2019

https://twitter.com/TataMotors/statu...338024961?s=19

arif_t01 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 18:33   #261
BHPian

Tata 45x Production Version World Premier in the first week of March 2019, at the Geneva Motor Show

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2019 at 20:25. Reason: Adjusting the mentioned launch date on request.
HarshGtR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 21:43   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
Tata 45x Production Version World Premier in the first week of March 2019, at the Geneva Motor Show
This would be quite some car to wait for, unlike Harrier which has already broken all the surprises - would wait to see the new car in flesh ! Unlike the other categories the new Tata Cars have moved into - this would be quite some category given that there are a few worthy competition from multiple manufacturers.

Tight space to walk into - but would be great to see if Aquila can take things to the next level .
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 00:36   #263
Senior - BHPian

It is commendable that TATA Motors is breaking out eye catching cars with improvements in technology and quality but the most important step the company needs to make is improve it's dealer network. I type this as a current owner of a TATA car and the last place i will take my TATA car for service is to my TATA dealer's station.

I walked into my dealer's showroom recently to enquire about the Tiago JTP. All i got was a blank stare in return and then a quick pointing at a stock Tiago variant on display.I gave up and walked out. Mr.Gunter does have his work cut out for him and i hope he has the will to see it through. Things change slowly sometimes, i guess.

Last edited by nickatnite : 21st February 2019 at 01:05.
nickatnite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 08:24   #264
BANNED

Quote:
The engine is that good, have given some more expensive cars like the Ciaz a pleasant surprise on the highway.
But the Ciaz was not at all surprised buddy . It has a smaller engine, same power but less torque than an i20 1.4L Diesel engine. The things I hate about Hyundai are the steering, and the suspension. A good engine needs to be complemented by an equally good steering and suspension. I think they are improving on that front now, but their engine refinement is on a completely different level.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 10:38   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
But the Ciaz was not at all surprised buddy . It has a smaller engine, same power but less torque than an i20 1.4L Diesel engine. The things I hate about Hyundai are the steering, and the suspension. A good engine needs to be complemented by an equally good steering and suspension. I think they are improving on that front now, but their engine refinement is on a completely different level.
I cannot comment on anything directly, as you can see I'm walking on eggshells now, because my initial comment in the previous page came out a bit biased, although I didn't mean it that way, and I deeply regret it.

But I'll say this, it has improved a lot. I've driven the previous gen i20 and the difference is just huge. I now can remain in my own lane on panic breaking, and the build is not light. Although the omission of rear discs is sad. I am pretty sure they wouldn't have suffered any major losses if they carried over the rear discs to the elite i20, it would've been a segment first amongst the new gen premium hatches.
Old 21st February 2019, 13:58   #266
BHPian

Teaser from Tata Motors on the Unveil of the production version of the 45X concept at the Geneva Motor show

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190221135439_youtube.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 21st February 2019 at 19:52. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
uday.ere is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 19:45   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Teaser from Tata Motors on the Unveil of the production version of the 45X concept at the Geneva Motor show
Can't wait for the Aquilla. Concept looks absolutely smashing and knowing Tata, the production version will more or less be the same.

But they have to get in an automatic at launch itself. Most of the premium hatch buyers I know opt for an automatic since 99.99% of them are city dwellers and an automatic is a boon for them. Tata must not repeat the mistake that they committed with not launching a diesel auto for the Harrier. I believe that, that was a pretty costly mistake for them. And it needs to be a decent unit. Complex systems such as a dual clutch auto is not needed, a decent torque converter will suffice. Maybe even a CVT, but not an AMT.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st February 2019 at 19:52. Reason: Video removed from quote.
SaiSW is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 21:14   #268
BHPian

Any guesses what is this? Tata Motors recently shared this image on social media. I think it's IRVM. Or may it's the front seat and this photo is taken from rear seat and the middle portion shows screen for rear passenger?
I want to hear from other members.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190221_210838.jpg  

HarshGtR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:20   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
Any guesses what is this? Tata Motors recently shared this image on social media. I think it's IRVM. Or may it's the front seat and this photo is taken from rear seat and the middle portion shows screen for rear passenger?
I want to hear from other members.
It's the back of the front seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190222091930_twitter.jpg  

arif_t01 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 15:52   #270
BHPian

Name teaser from Tata Motors

Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190222155012_youtube.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks