Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2019, 22:00   #811
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

If Tata is aiming for a 5 star Global NCAP safety rating for the Tiago, I am sure Altroz would be right there too.

About being lighter than the Tiago, maybe its the new platform, ALFA, which is lighter than the XO platform.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 07:48   #812
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Weighs less than Tiago??
I am sure many would prefer a lousy engine over compromised build quality. In today's traffic scenario, performance is barely a requirement for many and Tata have got the rest covered with the JTP's.
I don't think there's anything to worry about because safe cars are Tata's USP. Consider the Nexon, one of its main selling points is it's build quality, which is one of the best IF not the best, in the segment. It may not have the long features list of the completion, but it has cemented it's position in the segment because of the image of it's tough build quality.

I don't think Tata would abandon that, that would be like shooting at your own feet. Also, I don't think the ALFA platform would be jugaad like a certain other company's "modular" platform ( not naming who, easily guessable ).

Let's hope for the best, I am replacing my Tiago within a few months, torn between the jtp, the Altroz and a few other cars. Now, just waiting for the Altroz launch and test drive it thoroughly, to make the decision, as I made the blind jump with the Tiago in 2016, and although it's a fantastic car with great build quality, I have had a couple of problems with it after purchase.
SaiSW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 15:49   #813
BHPian

Re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai

Today morning I saw a test mule with similar alloy wheels near Lonavala.
I first thought the design might be from Tata
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-i20.jpg  

rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 15:53   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Today morning I saw a test mule with similar alloy wheels near Lonavala.
I first thought the design might be from Tata

This is TATA Altroz and the alloy design is quite different from i20 mule
shravan2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 15:58   #815
BHPian

Saw another test mule of the same on NH4 service lane near katraj bypass (Narhe), Pune. I wonder why testing for such a long time now. Just launch it already!
Old 20th November 2019, 17:17   #816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Just launch it already!
They heard you. Teaser is out. Coming soon -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 20:56   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Just launch it already!
You OK being a beta tester?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 23:25   #818
Senior - BHPian

I think anyone can be a beta tester just like people who bought Seltos/Hector recently. I expect this to be a very good product from Tata Motors (which is going to fail anyway). It is going to compete with two champions (i20 and Baleno) and does not seem to have any USP.
Latheesh is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 10:05   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I think anyone can be a beta tester just like people who bought Seltos/Hector recently. I expect this to be a very good product from Tata Motors (which is going to fail anyway). It is going to compete with two champions (i20 and Baleno) and does not seem to have any USP.
What makes you think it would fail? Maybe Tata Motors learnt something from the Harrier's lack of sales and wouldn't be keen on repeating those mistakes. As for the USP, we don't know much about the car so it's best to wait for launch in order to get full info on specs. Then we can comment on USP but right now seems a bit too early.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 10:22   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
You OK being a beta tester?
If i could've, I would've
Testing it through all kinds of roads, anyway i do that with Tiago. So i believe, I would enjoy the ride atleast!
Ofcourse, I think being beta tester entails me with all benefits right?
Torq is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:27   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not liking the marketing campaign effort. "Get ready to experience Gold". That's not really catching much! Even the Aura is launching with a GDI (maybe even with DCT) engine already. So on the engine front, there isn't much GOLD. If there is - others have Platinum also. The car profile shown in the teaser doesn't give anything to be impressed with! That's not a teaser...

And the teasers are quite flat. They MUST show a lot more effort, innovation & imagination in their teasers & buzz creation for what's pretty much Tata's one and ONLY throw of the dice in this segment.

(P.S. - Are such teasers needed at all for a car that was seen in almost production ready spec in auto-shows & seen on roads for countless times giving away almost all visual cues?)
Reinhard is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 16:06   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
What makes you think it would fail? .
People would make it fail !
Major chunk of population just do not want to buy a tata, no matter how good the build is or how well it performs and we have seen that already. Be it Tigor, Hexa or Harrier, which are really good offerings from Tata, failed to get the sales ticked.

Then a single product from new entrants MG and Kia creates a big wave in the market. The brand perception of Tata motors would make it fail (I strongly wish that does not happen to Altroz).

Offer people a Tata vs any other comparable manufacturer's car, most would chose the latter.
UB_007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 16:24   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Weighs less than Tiago??
I am sure many would prefer a lousy engine over compromised build quality. In today's traffic scenario, performance is barely a requirement for many and Tata have got the rest covered with the JTP's.
What was done to Baleno and New Swift, which are lesser weights than Old Swift?

Moreover it is just rumor that it is less weight that Tiago.
Altroz could be as light as Baleno with Modern structural safety.
TeddyBear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 17:05   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
People would make it fail !
Major chunk of population just do not want to buy a tata, no matter how good the build is or how well it performs and we have seen that already. Be it Tigor, Hexa or Harrier, which are really good offerings from Tata, failed to get the sales ticked.

Offer people a Tata vs any other comparable manufacturer's car, most would chose the latter.
You seem to have forgotten Tiago and Nexon. Two cars in the two hottest segments.

People buy stuff if they see value and USP in it.
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 17:06   #825
Senior - BHPian

The market is theirs to take. The B2 segment hatchback is dominated by basically just two products, the Baleno-family and i20. Out of sheer fatigue, the Altroz could pull in new customers because of the freshness factor. BUT they really, really need to price it very competitively.

This is a segment which is getting eaten into by the sub-4m CUV segment and volumes can only be reached by pulling Maruti and Hyundai customers. I wish it all the success and I am really rooting for the Altroz.

Last edited by avishar : 21st November 2019 at 17:07.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed