Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 16:25   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, codenamed "X451"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
- Production will start from August onwards for this Baleno/i20 rival from the Tata stable.

- Test mules of the X451 (hatch & sedan) are already on the roads.....
Strange!! If this is getting into production in August, the testing is already done! And we haven't sighted a single test mule yet and it's almost end of Jun. How did it manage to skip anyone's eyes for the last 1 year when it was under test?

Quote:
...- Most of the dealer feedback received in company surveys claims that most customers who walk in to buy Tigor end up buying the Tiago instead. Tata is looking into this and is expected to do something about it soon.

- Rumours circulating between company suppliers is that every Tata vehicle rolling out from the Sanand facility is incurring a loss. Margins are extremely thin for the Tiago/Tigor twins. Moreover, to keep prices competitive, poor quality steel and compromised child parts have been used in these cars.
This is disappointing. A good car like Tiago doesn't need to have wafer thin margins. And people not warming upto Tigor is also a sad news - a bunch would shy away from the weak engine, but!

The news of compromised parts usage is a bad news again. If TATA doesn't get their "reliability" bit anymore right, they might as well shut down their passenger vehicle operations.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 18:07   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Strange!! If this is getting into production in August, the testing is already done! And we haven't sighted a single test mule yet and it's almost end of Jun. How did it manage to skip anyone's eyes for the last 1 year when it was under test
Isn't the Nexon also based on the X451 platform if I am right? So does this mean the "Premium Hatchback" is the "car-ized" version of the Nexon from Tata?

Not a bad tactic. We have seen the hatchback's become SUV's with plastic cladding and rear mounted spare wheel. Tata is trying the other way.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th June 2017 at 20:49. Reason: Fixing quotes. Thanks
Nitthari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:12   #78
srh
BHPian

Quote:
- Rumours circulating between company suppliers is that every Tata vehicle rolling out from the Sanand facility is incurring a loss. Margins are extremely thin for the Tiago/Tigor twins. Moreover, to keep prices competitive, poor quality steel and compromised child parts have been used in these cars.
This is rumour mongering at its worst. Can't fathom if this is out of innocence or has malicious intent.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:20   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Most of the dealer feedback received in company surveys claims that most customers who walk in to buy Tigor end up buying the Tiago instead. Tata is looking into this and is expected to do something about it soon.
Quote:
And people not warming upto Tigor is also a sad news - a bunch would shy away from the weak engine, but!
They made a serious mistake with the engines on the Tigor, unlike Tiago where it could have escaped as a city car. Good that TATA has noticed it.

The price of the Tigor was too optimistic as well, considering the choice of engines.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:12   #80
BHPian

Quote:
- Moreover, to keep prices competitive, poor quality steel and compromised child parts have been used in these cars.
I find the above portion of the post quite irresponsible. As someone already pointed out, this is rumour mongering at it's worst. It will be in the interest of the team-bhp to purge the above portion from the original post.

Regards
Pratim
Old 23rd June 2017, 21:02   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Moreover, to keep prices competitive, poor quality steel and compromised child parts have been used in these cars.
Truly the most laughable comment ever. No offense meant to RavenAvi, because it is not his comment. Having had Tata cars from their Sierra days (1996) to date, this could probably be the ugliest remark on Tata ever. Failure of a part, I can agree, but poor quality steel to cut costs!! That's hitting below the belt.
Old 23rd June 2017, 21:14   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strange!! If this is getting into production in August, the testing is already done! And we haven't sighted a single test mule yet and it's almost end of Jun. How did it manage to skip anyone's eyes for the last 1 year when it was under test?
Test mules have been doing the rounds since end-2016. I keep hearing from sources that they have spotted "a car with sharper front design, sharper shaped bonnet & head lamp sections".

Unfortunately, no pics so far. I am on it, though.

Quote:
The news of compromised parts usage is a bad news again. If TATA doesn't get their "reliability" bit anymore right, they might as well shut down their passenger vehicle operations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
This is rumour mongering at its worst. Can't fathom if this is out of innocence or has malicious intent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
I find the above portion of the post quite irresponsible. As someone already pointed out, this is rumour mongering at it's worst. It will be in the interest of the team-bhp to purge the above portion from the original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Failure of a part, I can agree, but poor quality steel to cut costs!! That's hitting below the belt.
This information was given by a Tata spare parts supplier who has been working with them for a while. There's plenty more which goes on behind the scenes, which I cannot disclose because of inadequate proof and which will result in opening a huge can of "new" worms, and which won't go down too well with Tata lovers.

I'll just stick to the scoops from now on. Nothing on the manufacturing/behind-the-scenes stuff from me ever again.

People, specially owners, will eventually find out on their own.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 21:25   #83
Senior - BHPian

Never doubt your intentions or interests, RavenAvi.

Spare part vendors might have a bone to pick (tight prices to quality issues) or the vendor might be stating the truth but what really matters is proof. Without proof, rumours are just that. The last 21 years, not a single day has gone by without a Tata at home. I have always seen an improvement in every new car. All my Tatas except the Nano and the Safari (borrowed temporarily from a friend) have done over 1.6 L kms in our hands.

If however, there's a distinct lack in quality, I would also be one of the first guys to cry foul.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 23:15   #84
srh
BHPian

Quote:
This information was given by a Tata spare parts supplier who has been working with them for a while. There's plenty more which goes on behind the scenes, which I cannot disclose because of inadequate proof and which will result in opening a huge can of "new" worms, and which won't go down too well with Tata lovers.

I'll just stick to the scoops from now on. Nothing on the manufacturing/behind-the-scenes stuff from me ever again.

People, specially owners, will eventually find out on their own.
That makes it even more interesting. Old gen SME parts suppliers of old gen auto companies live on another planet even today. Many don't have the capability and capital required for the current standards. They invariably get into conflict with OEMs and get side lined over a period of time. Need to be careful in deciphering what they say.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 23:52   #85
BHPian

Since we are now talking of sources, here is something for rumour mongering. A dear friend is involved in one of the most critical operations at Tata. I showed him above post and he just told me to ask some common friends who are in competitor companies and have done a teardown on Tiago and now recently Tigor. My 2p. No offence to anyone
Old 24th June 2017, 07:00   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: The thread title clearly says this is a rumour. Please stay on-topic and avoid turning this into a Tata quality thread. Thanks!
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 22:39   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted testing for the very first time on the streets of Pune by a Motorbeam reader.

Quote:
The spotted test mule is in its early stages of development and is heavily camouflaged. There are round headlights placed temporarily and the gap around the headlight makes it evident that the premium hatchback will get a sweptback headlight unit. The tail-lights also have been temporarily put and the vehicle here gets steel wheels.
The Tata X451 will be based on Tata’s new AMP platform and will have a design similar to that of the Nexon.
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tatax451frontspied1.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tatax451spottedinpune.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tatax451rearspotted.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 23:23   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Spotted testing for the very first time on the streets of Pune by a Motorbeam reader.
The size sure does seem impressive. This could turn out to be one spacious hatchback.
Old 12th October 2017, 23:58   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody notice the angle of the front windshield ??

btw, Just hope they dont do a KUV-100 with the headlamp sweep.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:31   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA's hatch from ACI angle,

The Tata X451 is expected in 2019.

Quote:
The X451, which is positioned above the Tiago will be Tata Motors’ first premium hatch and has its sights on the Hyundai i20 and Suzuki Baleno, the segment leaders today.
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1_578_872_0_100_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20171011023541_tata_x451_3-copy.jpg
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1_578_872_0_100_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20171011023547_tata_x451_1-copy.jpg
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1_578_872_0_100_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20171011023548_tata_x451_2-copy.jpg
Quote:
The spy shots of the heavily disguised X451 reveal a silhouette not too dissimilar to the Tiago but on closer examination, the longer wheelbase and length is quite evident. According to company sources, the X451 is a good 200mm longer than the Tiago but stays under the crucial 4 metre mark to be classified as a ‘small car’ which slots it into a lower tax bracket. The hatchback currently wears dummy headlamps but the wraparound design is pretty visible. Moving on to the sides, the car has a raked and longish windshield whilst roofline tapers a fair bit at the back. Also, visible is the placement of the rear door handle in the C-pillar, a design trend followed by the Mahindra KUV100 NXT and the upcoming Maruti Swift. From the images, it seems there is considerable amount of space aft of the rear door which hints at a generous amount of boot space.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th October 2017 at 07:34.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed